PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga hires former James Madison OC Jeff Durden to same position

chattownmocs
January 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/jan/15/jeff-durden-hired-as-mocs-oc/?sports

henfan
January 15th, 2013, 08:10 AM
The alternate headline should read "UTC to Abandon the Forward Pass".

chattownmocs
January 15th, 2013, 08:30 AM
The alternate headline should read "UTC to Abandon the Forward Pass".

Well, James Madison had the best passing numbers of his tenure last year and he got canned.

henfan
January 17th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Well, James Madison had the best passing numbers of his tenure last year and he got canned.

JMU's passing numbers were seldomr good under Durden, so I wouldn't put a whole lot stock in the fact that they may have gotten a little better last year. JMU passing game ranked 80th out of 120 teams in 2012, just behind... wait for it... UTC at #79.

chattownmocs
January 17th, 2013, 09:51 AM
JMU's passing numbers were seldomr good under Durden, so I wouldn't put a whole lot stock in the fact that they may have gotten a little better last year. JMU passing game ranked 80th out of 120 teams in 2012, just behind... wait for it... UTC at #79.

Good we would love to pass the ball just like we did this year except run it alto better.

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Probably a good move for UTC.

The Mocs had some talent in 2012. Perhaps some of the best overall talent in the SoCon. Still, I had no idea what they were doing on offense. Lot of pell-mell kind of cutesy stuff. I think they'll do well to get a guy who is going to establish an offensive identiy.

Apphole
January 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM
The Mocs had some talent in 2012. Perhaps some of the best overall talent in the SoCon.

Woah! Did Chattown hack PF and get his AGS password?

App State and Georgia Southern get the best talent in the Southern Conference every year.

Saint3333
January 17th, 2013, 10:16 AM
They have had great starters the last couple of years, but overall talent on the two deep?

I will say they have done the least with the most the last couple of years.

citdog
January 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM

App State and Georgia Southern get the best talent in the Southern Conference every year.

all that 'best talent' and yet you both lost to The Citadel. At least GSU had some heart.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 17th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Not an overly impressive hire.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 17th, 2013, 12:30 PM
All hail the Chattanooga Dukes!

chattownmocs
January 17th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I think Huesman should have promoted Thomas Brown to OC. Rather than a guy who has coordinated a national champion.

henfan
January 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Good we would love to pass the ball just like we did this year except run it alto better.

Really? You were satisfied with a passing rating in the lowest 40% of all FCS teams? On the good side, UTC's run game will get stronger under Durden.

chattownmocs
January 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Really? You were satisfied with a passing rating in the lowest 40% of all FCS teams? On the good side, UTC's run game will get stronger under Durden.

Sure.

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2013, 04:51 PM

For years UTC would bring in a lot of UTK transfers. They were among the most impressive looking teams in the SoCon, they just couldn't play football.

They do have talented players. They used to bring in a lot of UTK castoffs and had a team with some really impressive players. They just never got them going in the same direction. They were bad for a long time, but it wasn't because they just had terrible talent.

I think UTC already has arguably the best defense in the SoCon. I think they have some talented pieces on offense (QB, WR, RB, and TE). If they had someone who got their offense lined up and quit with all the houdini stuff, I think they will score some points.

asumike83
January 17th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I think UTC already has arguably the best defense in the SoCon. I think they have some talented pieces on offense (QB, WR, RB, and TE). If they had someone who got their offense lined up and quit with all the houdini stuff, I think they will score some points.

They did have a very solid defense. I think Wofford was the best defense we saw in conference play all year but UTC is certainly good enough on that side of the ball to win. It was only one game and I have not seen much of Huesman outside of it but I was there for the ASU/UTC game. I don't recall them getting too cute with it, he was just an inaccurate passer. He's athletic, has good escapability and decent arm in terms of strength but missed a lot of receivers.

His development as a passer and improving on the offensive line is what will determine their success as much as scheme, in my opinion.

SpeedkingATL
January 17th, 2013, 05:17 PM
If he can improve UTC's offensive line play the Mocs might be a handfull next year.

chattownmocs
January 17th, 2013, 05:31 PM
If he can improve UTC's offensive line play the Mocs might be a handfull next year.

They have been a "handful" for quite a while. Im having a hard time understanding the arrogance coming from the App fans about the 2013 season. You are in big trouble. Do you guys think they fired Jerry Moore because next year looks bright? You have your hands full with chattanooga even if their Line regresses.

asumike83
January 17th, 2013, 06:00 PM
They have been a "handful" for quite a while. Im having a hard time understanding the arrogance coming from the App fans about the 2013 season. You are in big trouble. Do you guys think they fired Jerry Moore because next year looks bright? You have your hands full with chattanooga even if their Line regresses.

How is it arrogant to say that UTC will be good if their offensive line improves?

chattownmocs
January 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM
How is it arrogant to say that UTC will be good if their offensive line improves?

You had your hands full with almost every team you played. A game that is tied in the 4th qtr really isn't a blowout. The difference between app and chattanooga isn't that App has better talent or coaching it is that App has been extremely lucky in close games while chattanooga has been on the opposite end of the spectrum. The law of averages will come into play.

GlassOnion
January 17th, 2013, 06:15 PM
You had your hands full with almost every team you played. A game that is tied in the 4th qtr really isn't a blowout. The difference between app and chattanooga isn't that App has better talent or coaching it is that App has been extremely lucky in close games while chattanooga has been on the opposite end of the spectrum. The law of averages will come into play.

I think its safe to say that App had the clear edge in offensive coaching. App didnt really have that great of a defense, yet they shut UTC down completely. Whether you want to blame it on coaching or talent is up to you, but the difference was there.

asumike83
January 17th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Couldn't agree more. Holding UTC to 271 yards of offense and outscoring you 24-7 in the 4th quarter was extremely lucky. Price going for 130 and 2 TDs was certainly more luck than talent. Y'all had several receivers that were at least that good, just weren't lucky enough to perform as well. That garbage TD scored with 18 seconds left against our back-ups to make sure you only lost by 17 at home was pretty indicative of how evenly matched the two teams truly were.

Some would call blaming all your losses on luck a weak excuse but I think you make some excellent points.

PaladinFan
January 18th, 2013, 11:41 AM

That might be the biggest critique of Husemann, though. It is almost staggering how many games UTC loses in the fourth quarter. That is mental preparation as much as anything, because UTC is not getting out talented. If they were under-talented, they wouldn't have the opportunity to win the game.

At some point, UTC has to be able to close the deal in the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, I think that is their biggest hurdle to becoming a playoff calibre team. Playoff teams shut the door in the fourth quarter.

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Durden like Fast, "loose" offense.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/jan/18/utcs-durden-likes-fast-loose-offense/

Apphole
January 21st, 2013, 11:26 AM

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/jan/18/utcs-durden-likes-fast-loose-offense/

"I like my offenses like I like my women"

jmufan999
January 21st, 2013, 01:32 PM

Fast???? Hahahahahaha yeah let me know how that works out for you.

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM
Fast???? Hahahahahaha yeah let me know how that works out for you.

Y'all had some pretty good offenses up there during his tenure. Both in points and yards. The guy lasted 8 years which is pretty good these days. His offense grew stagnant towards the end of his tenure there but I think he fits in well with the defensive identity Chattanooga has built.

JMU2004
January 21st, 2013, 06:34 PM
Y'all had some pretty good offenses up there during his tenure. Both in points and yards. The guy lasted 8 years which is pretty good these days. His offense grew stagnant towards the end of his tenure there but I think he fits in well with the defensive identity Chattanooga has built.

Durden is a good coach. Our offense was slow because every call went down to Mickey, who then vetoed it or gave it the ok.

PaladinFan
January 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM
Durden is a good coach. Our offense was slow because every call went down to Mickey, who then vetoed it or gave it the ok.

True or False - Biggest offensive play in James Madison football history was the third and 21 scramble by Justin Rascati at Furman in the playoffs in 2004?

Granted, I have not watched a lot (read: any) James Madison football, but without that run/shocking display of defensive ineptitude Furman wins that game and JMU has no national title.

By the way. I'm still bitter about that game. How many ways can you manage to lose a football game?

jmufan
January 22nd, 2013, 08:27 AM

I don't think it was all Durden. I think MM had a lot to do with it as well. Then again, JMU's receivers and QB haven't been anything to look at the last couple of years either.

utcfan
January 26th, 2013, 03:55 PM
My thoughts on hire: Satterfield really wanted to run more of a west coast pro style offense, geared for a Coleman...Spread was not his style...Durden a spread guy...Mocs need to develop a better run game and he might be the guy to do that...opens up play action, which should help passing game...Oline needs to take a step up, and should next year. Overall a good hire getting a FCS experienced OC with spread experience.