PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Lamb's son to be an App St Mountaineer

T-Dog
January 13th, 2013, 07:25 PM
According to Twitter, Taylor Lamb, of course a QB, out of Calhoun HS in Calhoun GA, has committed to App St. He originally committed to South Alabama but withdrew.

You can't make this up.

Here's an article from last year about Taylor.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/dec/02/new-lamb-leads-well/

citdog
January 13th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Lamb's have helped app win before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAycXbA2ZhE

chattownmocs
January 13th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Ill admit this kid is really good. His ability to push the ball down the field is really the only question mark. He is deadly in the short to medium passing game and is college ready. Hal lamb is one of the best at coaching QBs in the nation. This kid is a steal if he ends up in the southern conference.

OL FU
January 13th, 2013, 08:02 PM
That is almost too "good" to be true. If he is anything like his father, you will have a heck of a QB Congrats to the younger Lamb.

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 13th, 2013, 08:04 PM
well, he is not signed yet, this kid looks really good, hopefully, the FCS schools will leave him alone and we can get him to Boone. With JJ a senior, it was huge we land atleast one qb, hopefully, we can find one more.

asumike83
January 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM
He won a 2A state title as a junior and was named the 2A Offensive Player of the Year. As a senior, he was the Gatorade Georgia Player of the Year. Looks very good on tape, accurate arm and quick enough to be a dual-threat. Nice pick-up.

blueballs
January 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM
We've all made a lot of fun of Lamb during his coaching tenure but he was a helluva' QB for the 'purps back in the early 80's. If the kid is as good as the old man App's got a good 'un.

Mr. C
January 13th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Taylor Lamb is the little kid who cried the day after the App State-Furman Miracle on the Mountain game because they kept showing highlights of Furman's loss on TV. Bobby Lamb told that story a few months after the game at the 2003 Southern Conference Football Rouser.

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2013, 05:22 AM
My initial reaction is to the style of QB. Lamb is somewhat bigger than most of App's recent QB crop. Probably more of a QB than the QB/WR/ATH hybrid App has tended to stick back there in recent years. Wonder if this signals a change in the Satterfield era in recruiting.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 14th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Wow! Bobby is at Georgia Southern's camp learning about the option and Little Lamb is going to App St. I guess if you can't beat 'em....join 'em:o

AppMan
January 14th, 2013, 08:18 AM
My initial reaction is to the style of QB. Lamb is somewhat bigger than most of App's recent QB crop. Probably more of a QB than the QB/WR/ATH hybrid App has tended to stick back there in recent years. Wonder if this signals a change in the Satterfield era in recruiting.

I find that interesting as well. One thing is certain about the type of spread Scott has preferred with the QB being a running threat is they are going to get hurt. We've seen it with Richie, Armanti, DeAndre and although he isn't the run threat of the others, Jackson. Obviously injuries are not completely preventable, but you can take measures to minimize them.

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Wow! Bobby is at Georgia Southern's camp learning about the option and Little Lamb is going to App St. I guess if you can't beat 'em....join 'em:o

When you are starting a program out of whole cloth, the option is not a bad place to start. Russel knew that.

Besides, Lamb's record against Georgia Southern was pretty respectable 4-5. Only one of those losses, I think, was by more than a couple of points (his first year at Furman's helm in 2002). You can make a pretty good case that Lamb's teams defended the option as well as any team GSU played.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM
When you are starting a program out of whole cloth, the option is not a bad place to start. Russel knew that.

Besides, Lamb's record against Georgia Southern was pretty respectable 4-5. Only one of those losses, I think, was by more than a couple of points (his first year at Furman's helm in 2002). You can make a pretty good case that Lamb's teams defended the option as well as any team GSU played.

I'm just messin'. I actually had some good chats with Bobby at some of or practices in Fall Camp. I always did think it was funny that when Bobby started playing for Furman, Georgia Southern College was still playing club football. The Paladins defeated South Carolina ('82), Ga Tech ('83), and NC St ('84 & '85), but that "new" team at Ga Southern robbed him of glory in 1985 and would be a thorn in his side the rest of his career with the exception of a 1988 fumble gift when he was an assistant. I can't think of anyone who has reason to loathe Ga Southern more and App St shouldn't be much different.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Taylor Lamb is the little kid who cried the day after the App State-Furman Miracle on the Mountain game because they kept showing highlights of Furman's loss on TV. Bobby Lamb told that story a few months after the game at the 2003 Southern Conference Football Rouser.

I remember reading in the Statesboro paper Bobby Lamb talking about his son crying while watching Sports Center because the call to go for two was called bone-headed. I think he was 8-ish at the time and I remember feeling bad for the little guy. Time sure does fly by.

BTW, to this day I still say it was the right call to go for two. The chances of App throwing a long ball to get into field goal range are a lot more than a pick-6 on a 2PC. It was just an absolute freak play.

asumike83
January 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM
The QB we just signed was 8 at the time of the Miracle on the Mountain, which occurred while I was a student. Now I feel old... thanks.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 14th, 2013, 11:08 AM
The QB we just signed was 8 at the time of the Miracle on the Mountain, which occurred while I was a student. Now I feel old... thanks.

Wait until the guys you're signing are younger than your own childrenxsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I remember reading in the Statesboro paper Bobby Lamb talking about his son crying while watching Sports Center because the call to go for two was called bone-headed. I think he was 8-ish at the time and I remember feeling bad for the little guy. Time sure does fly by.

BTW, to this day I still say it was the right call to go for two. The chances of App throwing a long ball to get into field goal range are a lot more than a pick-6 on a 2PC. It was just an absolute freak play.

Absolutely the right call. Just a combination of poor execution and a freaky luck.

I think that was the same year Furman took a knee on a two point conversion late in a game against Wofford.

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I'm just messin'. I actually had some good chats with Bobby at some of or practices in Fall Camp. I always did think it was funny that when Bobby started playing for Furman, Georgia Southern College was still playing club football. The Paladins defeated South Carolina ('82), Ga Tech ('83), and NC St ('84 & '85), but that "new" team at Ga Southern robbed him of glory in 1985 and would be a thorn in his side the rest of his career with the exception of a 1988 fumble gift when he was an assistant. I can't think of anyone who has reason to loathe Ga Southern more and App St shouldn't be much different.

No offense on my end.

For what its worth, I think Furman has always had a stronger hatred heading to Statesboro than Boone. Perhaps it was the two NCs games and a coaching staff made up of many former players.

stillabrave
January 14th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Ill admit this kid is really good. His ability to push the ball down the field is really the only question mark. He is deadly in the short to medium passing game and is college ready. Hal lamb is one of the best at coaching QBs in the nation. This kid is a steal if he ends up in the southern conference.

Hal Lamb played WR at UWG and is in our HOF. He was "too small and too slow"; all he could was catch anything thrown his way. A great player and an even greater guy.

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Hal Lamb played WR at UWG and is in our HOF. He was "too small and too slow"; all he could was catch anything thrown his way. A great player and an even greater guy.

I think that Durham kid at UGA was one of his players. He was the only player on UGA's team that season that could catch a fargin football.

OL FU
January 14th, 2013, 03:11 PM

Going for two was fine. Flipping the pass down the line of scrimmage was what was dumb. Run and if you don't get it who cares. I have heard conflicting stories on whether that was the actual play called.

asucrutch23
January 14th, 2013, 03:36 PM
You all really think you can get in FG range without time expiring in 7 seconds? Depending on the kickoff return, we may not even have had a chance to run an offensive play. And if you're gonna go for 2, for goodness sakes don't throw it! Especially toward the sidelines!

proasu89
January 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Wait until the guys you're signing are younger than your own childrenxsmiley_wix

Yep, daughter just turned 19.

OL FU
January 14th, 2013, 04:13 PM
You all really think you can get in FG range without time expiring in 7 seconds? Depending on the kickoff return, we may not even have had a chance to run an offensive play. And if you're gonna go for 2, for goodness sakes don't throw it! Especially toward the sidelines!

That was my point. run the damn thing. Supposedly the concern was a blocked kick return. On the other hand, I am disappointed in myself that I am talking about this **** one more time.xrotatehx:o

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Probably not. Still, App had a good field goal kicker (Rauch was still there at the time, I think), and perhaps one of the best kick returners in SoCon history in Davon Fowlkes. Boone's not a bad place to kick, either.

You're right though, if you are going to throw it, throw it to the middle of the field or in the back of the endzone. Even then, what the heck was App State doing in a zone blitz anyway? Its the freaking goal line.

Second by second you could probably find four or five things that happened on that play that normally do not happen, and each of them needed to happen for the play to end like it did.

Skjellyfetti
January 14th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Not really. He's bigger than Armanti and DeAndre, but about the same size or smaller than Richie Williams and Jamal Jackson.

AppMan
January 14th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Probably not. Still, App had a good field goal kicker (Rauch was still there at the time, I think), and perhaps one of the best kick returners in SoCon history in Davon Fowlkes. Boone's not a bad place to kick, either.

You're right though, if you are going to throw it, throw it to the middle of the field or in the back of the endzone. Even then, what the heck was App State doing in a zone blitz anyway? Its the freaking goal line.

Second by second you could probably find four or five things that happened on that play that normally do not happen, and each of them needed to happen for the play to end like it did.

Eric Rockhold was ASU's kicker in 2002.

asumike83
January 14th, 2013, 10:27 PM
If I remember correctly, Jermaine Little had a couple good kickoff returns that day and they didn't want him to run it back to within FG range. Going for two itself was not a horrible idea as long as you keep it on the ground.

A one-point lead is just as good as two with 7 seconds left so there is minimal risk, unless you toss it towards the sidelines with nobody but your QB in between the defender and the end zone. Napier had a shot at him too but Derrick Black side-stepped him at around the 25 and never looked back. It just fell into place perfectly with Jeffries jumping the route and finding DB right next to him, because there is no way Josh takes that thing to the house.

ASU_Fanatic
January 14th, 2013, 11:35 PM
AHHHH *****ING YES. FINALLY A WHITE QB

WHITE BOOOOYS MAKE NOISE

WAIT TILL THIS BOY IS GOING BOMBS AWAY TO SIMMS MCELFRESH

ASU_Fanatic
January 14th, 2013, 11:37 PM
no. you're initial reaction is that he isn't a brother.

PaladinFan
January 15th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I did not realize (though it makes complete sense) that Taylor Lamb transferred in to Calhoun from Greenville to play for his uncle.

I also noticed that it did not appear Furman was anywhere on his radar in terms of visits and offers. I know that the Bobby Lamb/Furman split was less than amicable, and this more or less continues to confirm that. Not to say the younger Lamb would have chosen Furman had they been in the running, but the Paladins have one QB commit already this season, and perhaps another. You would think that given the family history at the school, and Furman's need for depth at the position, Lamb would have been an easy choice for a recruit.

citdog
January 15th, 2013, 08:36 AM
AHHHH *****ING YES. FINALLY A WHITE QB

WHITE BOOOOYS MAKE NOISE

WAIT TILL THIS BOY IS GOING BOMBS AWAY TO SIMMS MCELFRESH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEi--iTaP4M

Tuscon
January 15th, 2013, 10:51 AM
A bunch of us Georgia State fans thought this news was pretty funny. The guys on the USA board say the coaches and Lamb parted ways because he wanted to take the official to Appy. You don't let a good QB go for such a trivial reason and there is every indication that this is a great pickup for any school. Kudos to you guys for the steal. Now Georgia State just has to keep Brett Sheehan away from Alabama.

GlassOnion
January 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM
LOL @ South Alabama fans comforting themselves with "He must not have been that good, " and "the more I watched tape, the more I became concerned.." Both classics.

walliver
January 15th, 2013, 02:44 PM
A bunch of us Georgia State fans thought this news was pretty funny. The guys on the USA board say the coaches and Lamb parted ways because he wanted to take the official to Appy. You don't let a good QB go for such a trivial reason and there is every indication that this is a great pickup for any school. Kudos to you guys for the steal. Now Georgia State just has to keep Brett Sheehan away from Alabama.

I guess all the SunBelt schools are already becoming afraid of Appy. ;)

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Thought it was funny one of the USA fans metioned that after watching tape, it didnt appear Lamb had a strong arm...not sure what he was looking at, when I watched the tape I saw Lamb throwing the ball 45-50 yds on the run without alot of effort, I think his arm is just fine.

citdog
January 15th, 2013, 03:26 PM
i think it's funny, also pathetic, that you mountain homos have to troll sun belt boards breathlessly hoping one of those fbs in name only frauds will mention you.

chattownmocs
January 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Thought it was funny one of the USA fans metioned that after watching tape, it didnt appear Lamb had a strong arm...not sure what he was looking at, when I watched the tape I saw Lamb throwing the ball 45-50 yds on the run without alot of effort, I think his arm is just fine.

His arm strength is definitely a question mark. Otherwise he would be much more highly recruited.

citdog
January 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I guess all the SunBelt schools are already becoming afraid of Appy. ;)

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/custom/cc28922f5a.gif

cbarrier90
January 15th, 2013, 04:04 PM
i think it's funny, also pathetic, that you mountain homos have to troll sun belt boards breathlessly hoping one of those fbs in name only frauds will mention you.

Awww, you care about us. That is so sweet of you...

GlassOnion
January 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM
His arm strength is definitely a question mark. Otherwise he would be much more highly recruited.

No.

http://youtu.be/qaxrJOxrFy4

53 yards in the air.

md64179
January 15th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Arm strength is not a question for this kid. Haters goin hate

Saint3333
January 15th, 2013, 07:57 PM

If you disapprove this must be one heck of a steal.

chattownmocs
January 15th, 2013, 08:43 PM
No.

http://youtu.be/qaxrJOxrFy4

53 yards in the air.

That's not that far, either way there is more to arm strength than just how far you can throw it. He has an adequate arm, but not a big arm. I've seen him play. Arm strength is not the end all, be all. This kid has a good enough arm and is very intelligent and a great leader. I have seen him first hand. Look at Peyton Manning's arm this year. It was very weak by NFL standards and he still had almost an MVP caliber year.

chattownmocs
January 15th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I honestly think this kid is way underrated, but are you guys stupid? This kid played for Calhoun, he was Gatorade player of the year. That's for all classes public/private. He's been scouted thoroughly and South Alabama and App State were fighting over him. He's not a perfect prospect by any stretch. He is looked at as a system QB and his arm is not good enough to change that perception.

Saint3333
January 15th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Keep talking sounds better with every word you post.

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 15th, 2013, 09:22 PM
another reason we are so excited about this kid is we do not have a proven successor to JJ, or even a proven backup. Most of the kids behind JJ have spent alot of time on the sidelines with injuries, and to be honest havent really shown they are ready to start. Finding atleast 1 quality qb was a priority of this recruiting class. Not saying Lamb will be good enough to become JJ successor, but we have to start somewhere, hopefully, Lamb isn't the last qb we bring in.

The Moody1
January 16th, 2013, 10:48 AM

My son played baseball against him when Taylor was in the eighth grade. The boy was throwing BB's.

CID1990
January 16th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Keep talking sounds better with every word you post.

Well, he's no Huesman, of course.

Nobody's THAT good.

chattownmocs
January 16th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Nobody's THAT good.

I like lamb as a passer better than Huesman. Definitely more accurate and maybe even more arm strength. Huesman is a better runner. Overall, both are pretty even coming out of high school, it just depends on whether you are going to be more running, or more passing. Both are dual threats.

GlassOnion
January 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Nobody's THAT good.

Including Huesman!

Apphole
January 16th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I like lamb as a passer better than Huesman. Definitely more accurate and maybe even more arm strength. Huesman is a better runner. Overall, both are pretty even coming out of high school, it just depends on whether you are going to be more running, or more passing. Both are dual threats.

Well the main difference is that Huesman is a Moc and Lamb is a Mountaineer. Huesman is destined for a collegiate career of near misses and failure like so many before him, while Lamb will win championships and play in the NFL like so many before him.

citdog
January 16th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Well the main difference is that Huesman is a Moc and Lamb is a Mountaineer. Huesman is destined for a collegiate career of near misses and failure like so many before him, while Lamb will win championships and play in the NFL like so many before him.

so is the sun belch getting invited to the bcs 'playoff'?

CID1990
January 16th, 2013, 04:06 PM

No, but the GoDaddy.com bowl might be in Lamb's future if he can just get past UL-Monroe.

Apphole
January 16th, 2013, 06:28 PM

Well I know it's not typical, but a MAC team played in the Orange bowl this year.

The move is for the regular season and the $. Keep making fun of the smart kid before he goes off to college though. Maybe the smart kid will see you again when he pulls his Lexus through drive through at which you work.

citdog
January 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Well I know it's not typical, but a MAC team played in the Orange bowl this year.

The move is for the regular season and the $. Keep making fun of the smart kid before he goes off to college though. Maybe the smart kid will see you again when he pulls his Lexus through drive through at which you work.

hole.... the above is why you will NEVER be a smack champion. the drive thru? come on dude.......that's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nK8DoV8FJE

you're the one who said he was coming to app to "win championships". you say here almost daily that app is going to the fbs. i merely queried as to when the sun bletch had received their bid to the bcs 'playoff'.

Apphole
January 16th, 2013, 06:50 PM
hole.... the above is why you will NEVER be a smack champion. the drive thru? come on dude.......that's

you're the one who said he was coming to app to "win championships". you say here almost daily that app is going to the fbs. i merely queried as to when the sun bletch had received their bid to the bcs 'playoff'.
There is this thing called the Sunbelt championship. It carries more renown nationally than what App has 3 of, and the Citadel has 0 of.

The drive through portion of that joke is very appropriate for the analogy of the dumb jock picking on the smart kid. Do you understand all the subtleties? The bully channels his thinly veiled jealousy into abuse.

Just be happy for your big conference brother. We'll mail you a postcard from the promised land. Milk and honey, I say. Milk and honey!

citdog
January 16th, 2013, 07:03 PM
There is this thing called the Sunbelt championship. It carries more renown nationally than what App has 3 of, and the Citadel has 0 of.

The drive through portion of that joke is very appropriate for the analogy of the dumb jock picking on the smart kid. Do you understand all the subtleties? The bully channels his thinly veiled jealousy into abuse.

Just be happy for your big conference brother. We'll mail you a postcard from the promised land. Milk and honey, I say. Milk and honey!

i like pie

GlassOnion
January 16th, 2013, 07:08 PM
i like pie

And App threads.

citdog
January 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM
And App threads.

not any MOORE

Apphole
January 16th, 2013, 07:36 PM
not any MOORE

Well in that case...

**** OFF!

walliver
January 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM

...!

The SunBelt championship is nationally renown by the 10 Louisianans who aren't LSU fans and 5 people in Arkansas. The FCS championship is nationally renown by 2 million people in the Dakota's and Montana (as well as too numerous to count elk and bison). The primary goal of every team in the SBC is to get invited to C-USA.

I would also never hire a THE Citadel grad for the drive-in. If they show up in uniform, people just give them their car keys and walk inside.

Skjellyfetti
January 16th, 2013, 08:55 PM
The SunBelt championship is nationally renown by the 10 Louisianans who aren't LSU fans and 5 people in Arkansas. The FCS championship is nationally renown by 2 million people in the Dakota's and Montana (as well as too numerous to count elk and bison). The primary goal of every team in the SBC is to get invited to C-USA.

Am I really reading a WOFFORD fan pooh poohing the fanbases of FBS teams? Really? xlolx

Only people that care about Sun Belt are 10 Louisianans and 5 people in Arkansas? Ok.

Arkansas State: 26,398
Louisiana-Lafayette: 22,865

Wonder how many people care about Wofford, then? xconfusedx
Wofford: 7,690

Wofford might be close to having the 3rd highest attendance in Spartanburg County behind Dorman and Byrnes.

citdog
January 16th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Am I really reading a WOFFORD fan pooh poohing the fanbases of FBS teams? Really? xlolx

Only people that care about Sun Belt are 10 Louisianans and 5 people in Arkansas? Ok.

Arkansas State: 26,398
Louisiana-Lafayette: 22,865

Wonder how many people care about Wofford, then? xconfusedx
Wofford: 7,690

Wofford might be close to having the 3rd highest attendance in Spartanburg County behind Dorman and Byrnes.

what's REALLY FUNNY is that app considers arkansas state and lala PEER institutions!

SAD actually.

ASU_Fanatic
January 16th, 2013, 10:04 PM
god citdog do you ever shutup

citdog just sits on his computer all day and presses refresh on the ags homepage and mourns over something that happened like 150 years ago

citdog
January 16th, 2013, 10:11 PM
god citdog do you ever shutup

citdog just sits on his computer all day and presses refresh on the ags homepage and mourns over something that happened like 150 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFo5fbxAt8

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Guess this does debunk the "App State will lose recruits to FBS schools until they are FBS" myth.

Saint3333
January 17th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Those new FBS programs are getting recruits that would be on someone's roster. If it isn't App it is another FCS program.

Skjellyfetti
January 17th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Guess this does debunk the "App State will lose recruits to FBS schools until they are FBS" myth.

No it doesn't.

It would debunk a myth of "App State will lose ALL recruits to FBS schools until they are FBS." But, that's not what you're referencing.

If App loses a single recruit to a FBS school (and they have) the "myth" you are referring to is actually valid. Whether that would increase or decrease if they were in the Sun Belt or Conference USA is still up for debate (and, I believe it would decrease).

But, the "myth" is certainly not debunked.

OL FU
January 18th, 2013, 06:48 AM
His Father's arm strength wasn't great either. But he was talented, knew the game and made the right decisions on the field. While Lamb was a player, I don't remember losing a game because of him and we won quite a few because of him. If is son has those traits, you have a winner.

CID1990
January 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
His Father's arm strength wasn't great either. But he was talented, knew the game and made the right decisions on the field. While Lamb was a player, I don't remember losing a game because of him and we won quite a few because of him. If is son has those traits, you have a winner.

Yeah its when those Lambs get into coaching when the goofball decisions start coming out.

ASUMountaineer
January 18th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Currently, no team from any conference has received a bid to the BCS playoff, as it doesn't exist. Are you referencing the future BCS playoff?

AppStsGr8
January 18th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Already there and then some. Each of our sons has a baby due in 2013. I'm sure before I blink twice the younger son's son will be enrolling to play some sport at App.