PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Wary of Potential Recruiting Rules Changes

superman7515
January 12th, 2013, 02:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/8832338/coaches-reflect-potential-ncaa-rule-changes

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- In the wake of the American Football Coaches Association convention this week and the NCAA's explanation to college coaches on several proposed legislative changes that threaten to impact recruiting significantly, I've repeatedly heard one question.

Why?

Why would the Division I Board of Directors consider a vote to deregulate all private electronic communication, including text messaging, from coaches to prospects, as it will do next week at the NCAA convention with Proposal 13-3?

Why would the NCAA, with Proposal 13-2, consider giving coaches more off-campus access to prospects, adding six potential home visits from every school during a prospect's junior year to the six already allowed in his senior year?

Coaches say they're already stretched too thin. If these proposals pass, quality of life for assistants, in particular, will take a huge hit. How are they supposed to coach their teams while keeping up with hundreds of text messages and twice as many home visits?

Currently, each school is allowed one call per week to every prospect during non-dead periods. The new legislation would set no limits and no dead periods after July 1 before a prospect's junior year. So instead of watching film on an upcoming rival opponent, the linebackers coach at your school may soon need to make that third call of the day to a recruit -- just in case a coach from the same rival school is thinking about a fourth.

Why do it this way?

Well, NCAA president Mark Emmert wants to reduce the rule book. He wants the governing body to focus on issues that are meaningful, impactful and enforceable. Technically, if a recruit chooses to receive email as a text message on his phone and a coach sends that recruit an email, the coach just unknowingly broke a rule.

The NCAA wants to wash its hands of enforcing such trivial regulations. It wants to put the responsibility on schools to set policy.

Good luck with that. You think recruiting is cutthroat now? Just wait....

Much more at the link with quotes from coaches.

Drblankstare
January 12th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I guess I can agree with both sides of the coin. On one hand their are a ton of stupid draconian rules that coaches and schools have to follow.

On the other hand, their need to be some limits to help coaches protect themselves from themselves. I do agree that things like unlimited texting, could result in longer days for recruiters.

How's that for fence sitting.

Tubakat2014
January 12th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Seems to me like the NCAA knew the current rules were overly strict, but didn't feel like spending time coming up with sensible replacement rules... so they just washed their hands of all responsibilities. I would hate to be an assistant coach right about now...

344Johnson
January 13th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Basically, I want coaches to have to be relatively careful. Put some system in place where if they THINK it may be illegal, it probably is.

RichH2
January 13th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I like blankstares position on the fence. Probably good idea to have coaches self regulate. Staffs that overdue will lose more recruits than they gain. Noone likes to be nagged.