PDA

View Full Version : A 12th Game for Lehigh?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 10th, 2013, 02:43 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-12th-game-for-lehigh-in-2013.html

Lehigh has two openings, 8/31 and 11/2, in their tentative 11-game schedule for 2013. If they want a 12th, they'll have to move fast. I analyze what openings I see that are left and look over the options.

CFBfan
January 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I noticed that Gate has a 12 game schedule for 2013

RichH2
January 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Fans would live it for sure. If I recall correctly, Andy not a fan of 12 th game as he feels bye week crucial. 8/31 , he might go for. Unless its a money game do we really want a cupcake. Like idea of setting up a H&H.

BTW finished all cept Rams, which is a jumble. Where do you want info?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 10th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I sent you an email, Rich, thanks!

I keep looking at South Dakota State:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/fcs-information-center/conf-scheds-2013/mvfc-sched-2013

11 game schedule, have 8/31 open, and would certainly go for a 6th home game this season.

Twentysix
January 10th, 2013, 03:36 PM
NDSU has 11/2 open and probably 9/21 once WCU finally fesses up. I don't think we would have interest in a home and home with a PL school though. It would likely only be a one and done like Lafayette was.

CFBfan
January 10th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Fans would live it for sure. If I recall correctly, Andy not a fan of 12 th game as he feels bye week crucial. 8/31 , he might go for. Unless its a money game do we really want a cupcake. Like idea of setting up a H&H.

BTW finished all cept Rams, which is a jumble. Where do you want info?

if you were 11 - 1 this past season instead of 10 - 1 you would hae likely gotten an at large invite to the playoffs.....

Pard4Life
January 10th, 2013, 04:39 PM
if you were 11 - 1 this past season instead of 10 - 1 you would hae likely gotten an at large invite to the playoffs.....

Unlikely, since more qualified teams were ahead in the pecking order.

DFW HOYA
January 10th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Lehigh could always move a PL game to 8/31 to open up a non-conference game in October.

Not sure anyone in the PL is going to be that industrious, but it's an idea.

Franks Tanks
January 10th, 2013, 07:00 PM

FCS teams can only schedule 12 games in certain years. Last year was not one of them. A 12th game was impossible.

heath
January 10th, 2013, 07:21 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-12th-game-for-lehigh-in-2013.html

Lehigh has two openings, 8/31 and 11/2, in their tentative 11-game schedule for 2013. If they want a 12th, they'll have to move fast. I analyze what openings I see that are left and look over the options.

Dear Chuck,you are a complete IDIOT! Do you even communicate with the AD or coaches? Guys like you are a ......(fill in the blank) Next year as Lehigh Football Nation,please try to make ALL the games and stop being such a ......(fill in the blank)xrotatehx

downbythebeach
January 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
outside of a couple of games against G-town, SFU has not really played any of the Patriot league..ever I don't believe

CFBfan
January 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM
FCS teams can only schedule 12 games in certain years. Last year was not one of them. A 12th game was impossible.

why is that (please forgive my ignorance)?

heath
January 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM

12 games in the future, forget last year

LehighU11
January 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Perhaps because the college football season begins the Saturday before Labor Day, which is August 31 this year, and ends the Saturday before Thanksgiving, which is November 23. By comparison, those two Saturdays were 9/1 and 11/17 this past year. Since there is an extra weekend over the course of the season, 12 games can be scheduled in certain years like 2013 (2008 and 2002 also).

Bill
January 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Yes, it's too bad there's no Buffalo hanging around for an August opener..boy, was that a fun experience!

DFW HOYA
January 10th, 2013, 08:24 PM
outside of a couple of games against G-town, SFU has not really played any of the Patriot league..ever I don't believe

Correct--I'm a little surprised that so few games have taken place between these schools over the years:

Bucknell: 0-0
Colgate: 0-0
Fordham 0-1 (1948)
Georgetown: 2-9 (1978 through 88, plus 2004)
Holy Cross: 0-0
Lafayette: 0-0
Lehigh: 0-1 (1922)

downbythebeach
January 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM
agreed
and Bucknell is only about two hours away

ngineer
January 10th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Lehigh will not schedule a game for 11/2. Andy wants that open date before the final run to the finish. Since we only have 5 home games this year, any game on 8/31 would likely have to be at Goodman. Only away possibility would be if it were a 'payday' game (unlikely) or a 'step up' game with a CAA team. With a new QB this year, Andy may prefer to have the extra week to prep before the current opener on 9/7.

Go...gate
January 10th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Any FBS teams available?

PAllen
January 11th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Anything but another NEC team.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Any FBS teams available?

I don't believe Lehigh is a counter yet.

DFW HOYA
January 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I don't believe Lehigh is a counter yet.

Why not? If Lehigh had 45-50 equivalencies before and was adding 15 full scholarships, they should be in, much like Fordham two years ago vs. Army.

Georgetown (and maybe, Bucknell) should be the only non-counters in the PL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I don't believe there's any real desire to go play some random FBS team. If they want to play a 12th game it needs to be at home imo.

TheRevSFA
January 11th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hopefully they get one..they don't want the William and Mary playoff snub, as opposed to the not winning the PL playoff snub.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 11th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Since Lehigh's schedule was such a hot button issue this year, here is a look at the tentative 2013 slate. It's pretty good minus the 5 homs/6 away games and Columbia. Honestly, a home and home with the Lions?

9/7 Cenn Conn St
9/14 @ Monmouth
9/21 @ Princeton
9/28 New Hampshire
10/5 @ Fordham
10/12 @ Columbia
10/19 Georgetown
10/26 @ Bucknell
11/2 BYE
11/9 Holy Cross
11/16 @ Colgate
11/23 Lafayette #149

danefan
January 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Since Lehigh's schedule was such a hot button issue this year, here is a look at the tentative 2013 slate. It's pretty good minus the 5 homs/6 away games and Columbia. Honestly, a home and home with the Lions?

9/7 Cenn Conn St
9/14 @ Monmouth
9/21 @ Princeton
9/28 New Hampshire
10/5 @ Fordham
10/12 @ Columbia
10/19 Georgetown
10/26 @ Bucknell
11/2 BYE
11/9 Holy Cross
11/16 @ Colgate
11/23 Lafayette

Only one chance to prove anything OOC (New Hampshire).

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 11th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Only one chance to prove anything OOC (New Hampshire).

UNH and Princeton are both good OOC games imo. UNH is obviously the headliner. Perhaps Lehigh will get lucky and either or both CCSU and Monmouth will prove to be in the NEC playoff discussion.

It would be sweet if Lehigh land a home game with a solid team like Albany, EKU, SBU, Citadel etc. to start the year. I'm not sure how likely that is though.

Very few teams play more than 1 truly "big time" OOC game. I don't believe FBS paycheck games are marquee OOC contests.

danefan
January 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM
UNH and Princeton are both good OOC games imo. UNH is obviously the headliner. Perhaps Lehigh will get lucky and either or both CCSU and Monmouth will prove to be in the NEC playoff discussion.

It would be sweet if Lehigh land a home game with a solid team like Albany, EKU, SBU, Citadel etc. to start the year. I'm not sure how likely that is though.

Very few teams play more than 1 truly "big time" OOC game. I don't believe FBS paycheck games are marquee OOC contests.

I don't want to hash up all those old discussions, but the "few teams" that you are referencing are generally the teams in the weaker conferences that need those games to support an at-large bid knowing that their conference schedule alone will not do it.

Go Green
January 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Honestly, a home and home with the Lions?

Columbia may be the better of Lehigh's two 2013 Ivy opponents, with that Stanford QB transfer being able to play next year.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Why not? If Lehigh had 45-50 equivalencies before and was adding 15 full scholarships, they should be in, much like Fordham two years ago vs. Army.

Did the 15 scholarships go in addition to the 50 equivalencies or did they replace 15 of the equivalencies.

Franks Tanks
January 11th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Did the 15 scholarships go in addition to the 50 equivalencies or did they replace 15 of the equivalencies.

It depends how many equivalencies left with the senior class. It is possible a PL team could still be below counter status if they had a large senior class/other defections that was recieving more than 15.

RichH2
January 11th, 2013, 01:44 PM
LU had about 83 playets getting total of low to mid 50 equivalencies. They will have a minimum of 20 open slot up to max. Can use all schollies. Should put them into counter status.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Remember too that they need to average that number over two years.

As a comparison when Colgate played Syracuse a couple of years ago they would have been considered a counter. Not sure if Lehigh would be a "counter" or not currently. If the definition is they're a bowl counter for 2013 and 2014 I'd say absolutely. If it's for 2012 and 2013 I'm less sure.

ngineer
January 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Columbia may be the better of Lehigh's two 2013 Ivy opponents, with that Stanford QB transfer being able to play next year.

Princeton surprised a lot of people this past year, and unless they lose a lot, they could be a favorite in the IL. Lions need more than a good QB. I've seen a lot of teams with very good QB's, but not much around them and they usually don't do much.

CFBfan
January 13th, 2013, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=ngineer;1931172]Princeton surprised a lot of people this past year, and unless they lose a lot, they could be a favorite in the IL. Lions need more than a good QB. I've seen a lot of teams with very good QB's, but not much around them and they usually don't do much.[/QUOTE

I 2nd that, Tigers are a much better team than the Lions

Go Green
January 13th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Princeton surprised a lot of people this past year, and unless they lose a lot, they could be a favorite in the IL. Lions need more than a good QB. I've seen a lot of teams with very good QB's, but not much around them and they usually don't do much.

Princeton is losing a lot of starters on defense (including the Ivy Defensive POY). Lehigh will be able to get more than 17 against them next year.

I agree with you that there's more to winning games than just having a stud quarterback (see, e.g., Cornell). But if you go to the Columbia board, there's more optimism among then Lion faithful than I've seen in years. Columbia returns most of its top receivers and defenders. From Dartmouth's standpoint, we needed a last minute TD drive to beat the Lions last year, yet we didn't have much trouble with Princeton. And Princeton loses more guys (at least quality guys) for 2013.

We will see how it goes. But don't be shocked if Columbia is the tougher team. Especially if Lehigh isn't returning good DBs.

Engineer86
January 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Princeton is losing a lot of starters on defense (including the Ivy Defensive POY). Lehigh will be able to get more than 17 against them next year.

I agree with you that there's more to winning games than just having a stud quarterback (see, e.g., Cornell). But if you go to the Columbia board, there's more optimism among then Lion faithful than I've seen in years. Columbia returns most of its top receivers and defenders. From Dartmouth's standpoint, we needed a last minute TD drive to beat the Lions last year, yet we didn't have much trouble with Princeton. And Princeton loses more guys (at least quality guys) for 2013.

We will see how it goes. But don't be shocked if Columbia is the tougher team. Especially if Lehigh isn't returning good DBs.

Princeton also will be getting Dibilio back and I expect he will have a point to prove the kid is a very hard worker.

Go Green
January 14th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Princeton also will be getting Dibilio back.

I know that he has said that he wants to come back, and it would be terrific and inspiring if it happened. But I'll believe it when I see it.

He can be the hardest worker in the world, but that won't protect him against another stroke. Princeton is still recruting RBs.

Franks Tanks
January 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I know that he has said that he wants to come back, and it would be terrific and inspiring if it happened. But I'll believe it when I see it.

He can be the hardest worker in the world, but that won't protect him against another stroke. Princeton is still recruting RBs.

In addition not only did he miss a year of football, but he was unable to exercise or workout for many months. We would all like to see Chuck come back 100% healthy, but I believe he will need some time to get his body back in football shape even if he is cleared to play this season.

Go...gate
January 14th, 2013, 07:57 PM

Agreed....

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Albany has not filled out their OOC schedule yet, and they have a vacancy on 8/31. I wonder...

aceinthehole
January 30th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Albany has not filled out their OOC schedule yet, and they have a vacancy on 8/31. I wonder...

Rumor has it that UA is opening up at Duquesne on that date. Coach Ford indicated in an interview they would be playing CCSU and another NEC team. I don't think you will find a UA-Lehigh game this year.

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7351&st=0