PDA

View Full Version : high point football a ways off still

fc97
January 9th, 2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.triadsports.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=9

looks like football at high point will happen, but recent interviews with the president show it lower on the priority list than some have thought.

Laker
January 9th, 2013, 12:01 PM
http://www.triadsports.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=9

looks like football at high point will happen, but recent interviews with the president show it lower on the priority list than some have thought.

The author thought that where the president had if on the priority list was about eight sports too low. xsmiley_wix

ASU_Fanatic
January 9th, 2013, 06:35 PM
High Point the one in NC right? Sickest campus ever, but it cost 50k a year

fc97
January 9th, 2013, 07:25 PM
High Point the one in NC right? Sickest campus ever, but it cost 50k a year

you're saying high point is more than elon, davidson, campbell, queens and the other top private schools in the state?

not very familiar with their campus though, just heard this on the radio the other day while driving through

ASU_Fanatic
January 9th, 2013, 07:55 PM
you're saying high point is more than elon, davidson, campbell, queens and the other top private schools in the state?

not very familiar with their campus though, just heard this on the radio the other day while driving through

Their campus? It's probably the best in the state.

appsfan
January 9th, 2013, 08:20 PM
High Point the best campus in NC? IMO, not even close to the best... I would agree .that it is nice with the money Nido has brought in over the past decade

WataugaDave
January 9th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Their campus? It's probably the best in the state.

It's a Mickey Mouse college in my opinion. Nido may have brought in the money to spruce up the campus but he leveled entire neighborhoods to do it. Used to serve local students, with a high focus on minorities. Now it's for rich preppy New Englanders. Elon but without the smart kids.

High Point's campus didn't get the way it is because they suddenly came into a few hundred million dollars. It's all been borrowed and their paying it back by charging some of the highest tuition rates in the state.

However, as it stands now High Point is heavily in debt. Yes, football programs bring in revenue but if you try to start one without already being on strong financial footing it will be a disaster, look at Greensboro College. The team is the joke of D-III, it brings in no money, and it cost the college enough to put their accreditation at risk for failing to have enough financial resources.

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Nido may have brought in the money to spruce up the campus but he leveled entire neighborhoods to do it. Used to serve local students, with a high focus on minorities. Now it's for rich preppy New Englanders.

http://i.qkme.me/202l.jpg

asumike83
January 9th, 2013, 11:35 PM
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/high-point-university-2933

It is a nice campus but $40K a year? Wow.

ASUMountaineer
January 10th, 2013, 07:21 AM
High Point the best campus in NC? IMO, not even close to the best... I would agree .that it is nice with the money Nido has brought in over the past decade

Agreed. Having grown up outside of HPU, that's just not the case. Duke, anyone? (And, I hate Dook)

AppChicago
January 10th, 2013, 08:15 AM
That place is going to collapse under its own weight one of these days. Hideously over-leveraged. And the campus is a campus like Epcot's China and Italy are China and Italy.

WataugaDave
January 10th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Agreed. Having grown up outside of HPU, that's just not the case. Duke, anyone? (And, I hate Dook)

That place is going to collapse under its own weight one of these days. Hideously over-leveraged. And the campus is a campus like Epcot's China and Italy are China and Italy.

I agree with the above. Duke has some great architecture. Very badass medieval look to it. It's creepy how fake High Point's campus is. It looks more like a film set than a real college.

This is a great article - http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-19/bubble-u-dot-high-point-university

John Nelson, head of the higher education ratings group at Moody’s Investors Service (MCO), says that in 20 years as an analyst he’s never seen an institution like High Point. “It looks more like a growth company,” he says. Moody’s downgraded the university’s debt rating to junk status in 2009 as it ran up some $165 million in debt to become one of the most highly leveraged schools in the country.

fc97
January 11th, 2013, 07:06 AM
WOW, $40k. that's more expensive than elon, campbell, queens, davidson, wingate and lenoir-rhyne, by $10-15k a year; and all those are hugely better schools. heck, that is $3,000 off of duke and wake forest.

fc97
January 11th, 2013, 07:07 AM
i drove through purposely yesterday to see it on the way through town. the campus is a like a huge advertisement to itself. billboards everywhere showing what they've done. and yes they leveled neighborhoods, but i wouldn't say that was for minorities, it was mainly older people.

its an ok campus, but give me the beautiful feel of a davidson, duke, elon, wake forest, app, wcu any time over that monstrosity.

asumike83
January 11th, 2013, 07:34 AM
WOW, $40k. that's more expensive than elon, campbell, queens, davidson, wingate and lenoir-rhyne, by $10-15k a year; and all those are hugely better schools. heck, that is $3,000 off of duke and wake forest.

It is also $1,000/year more expensive than Princeton but hey, it is about $900/year less than Harvard! xlolx

Unbelievable. How on earth can you justify charging your students that much? When you charge $40K/year to attend a school and your endowment is only $37 Million, you've got a big problem. Extremely over-leveraged and obviously the students are paying off HPU's spending spree.

ASUMountaineer
January 11th, 2013, 08:06 AM
It is also $1,000/year more expensive than Princeton but hey, it is about $900/year less than Harvard! xlolx

Unbelievable. How on earth can you justify charging your students that much? When you charge $40K/year to attend a school and your endowment is only $37 Million, you've got a big problem. Extremely over-leveraged and obviously the students are paying off HPU's spending spree.

I'm just surprised they find so many students to attend--is the NE really that desperate to send their kids down south for their education? When I was growing up 20 minutes from HPU, it was everyone's "safety school" from my HS. It's hilarious to me when they try to pass it off as being on the level of Davidson.

WH49er
January 11th, 2013, 08:31 AM

All good schools but let's not go overboard. Lenoir-Rhyne almost lost their accreditation a few years back.

It really sounds like some people up at HPU are trying to cash in on the education bubble. It's going to be ugly for the university when it pops.

fc97
January 11th, 2013, 08:39 AM
All good schools but let's not go overboard. Lenoir-Rhyne almost lost their accreditation a few years back.

It really sounds like some people up at HPU are trying to cash in on the education bubble. It's going to be ugly for the university when it pops.

oh wow, they did. scratch them off, but the other 4 and top notch as far as private schools not in the rung of duke and wake and they are over $10k less than high point yearly.

DFW HOYA
January 11th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I agree with the above. Duke has some great architecture. Very badass medieval look to it. It's creepy how fake High Point's campus is. It looks more like a film set than a real college.

To be fair, the "fake" argument was leveled at Duke in the 1920's when it built its west campus to look like Princeton. (The urban legend that James B. Duke built the campus because Princeton turned down Duke's offer to rename that school in his honor is just that, an urban legend.)

AppChicago
January 11th, 2013, 10:23 AM
To be fair, the "fake" argument was leveled at Duke in the 1920's when it built its west campus to look like Princeton. (The urban legend that James B. Duke built the campus because Princeton turned down Duke's offer to rename that school in his honor is just that, an urban legend.)

And to be doubly fair, once-"upstarts" like University of Chicago and Duke were once criticized for being artificial and unable to ever reach the heights of the old guard institutions. But they overcame those concerns by investing in top-flight educational resources and faculty/staff research. Not student amenities.

Go Green
January 11th, 2013, 10:28 AM
To be fair, the "fake" argument was leveled at Duke in the 1920's when it built its west campus to look like Princeton.

And Princeton probably got the same grief for copying Oxford and Cambridge. :)

PAllen
January 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Holy parking lots Batman!!! Just looked at the satellite view, and to be honest the buildings look pretty good (yes, a little too new, but that will change), but it looks more like an office park than a college campus. That must be one of the most drivable campuses in the country. Haven't they heard of this wonderful new architectural invention called a parking garage?

WileECoyote06
January 11th, 2013, 12:50 PM
North Carolina already has too many football playing colleges.

Laker
January 11th, 2013, 04:09 PM

You can have too many colleges, but you can never have too many football playing colleges. As Vince Lombardi said, a college without football is doomed to be a medieval study hall.

fc97
January 11th, 2013, 04:23 PM

how do you figure?

fbs:
duke
unc
wake forest
nc state
east carolina
unc charlotte

fcs:
appalachian state
western carolina
elon
nc a&t
nc central
gardner-webb
campbell
davidson

d-ii
brevard
catawba
chowan
livingston
shaw
elizabeth city state
fayetteville state
johnson c smith
unc pembroke
lenoir-rhyne
mars hill
saint augustine's
wingate
winston-salem state

d-iii
guilford
greensboro
methodist
nc wesleyan

juco:
louisburg

out of 67 4 year colleges in state

WataugaDave
January 11th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Lenoir-Rhyne almost lost their accreditation a few years back.

I don't know the specifics, but that could mean a lot of things. For example Greensboro College is on accreditation probation for having bad finances (partially related to starting up a football team, as I mentioned), not for bad academics. Heck, if High Point can't pay the massive debt it's gathered it could easily end up in the same boat.

As much as we make fun of Charlotte football, they were smart with the finances of starting it. Greensboro rushed in before they had the money or even a stadium (they play at Grimsley HS) and it cost them. They had to put up the campus as collateral and sell the land they were going to use for their sports park. Apparently they never heard the phrase "if you're in a hole, stop digging." High Point should definitely think twice before they dig themselves into a deeper hole by trying to start a football program as well.

fc97
January 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I don't know the specifics, but that could mean a lot of things. For example Greensboro College is on accreditation probation for having bad finances (partially related to starting up a football team, as I mentioned), not for bad academics. Heck, if High Point can't pay the massive debt it's gathered it could easily end up in the same boat.

As much as we make fun of Charlotte football, they were smart with the finances of starting it. Greensboro rushed in before they had the money or even a stadium (they play at Grimsley HS) and it cost them. They had to put up the campus as collateral and sell the land they were going to use for their sports park. Apparently they never heard the phrase "if you're in a hole, stop digging." High Point should definitely think twice before they dig themselves into a deeper hole by trying to start a football program as well.

if you build it, they will come

looking at the website, high point could cut cots by closing the pools for the dorms, the ice cream trucks and other things like that. it sounds like a resort!

Libertine
January 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM
This is so very not true and I don't know how many programs have proved that over and over. The cliche should read, "If you can pay for it and market it appropriately, they will come eventually."

looking at the website, high point could cut cots by closing the pools for the dorms, the ice cream trucks and other things like that. it sounds like a resort!
I don't think HPU is all that interested in costs and the resort aspect is exactly what they're going for.

Franks Tanks
January 14th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I'm just surprised they find so many students to attend--is the NE really that desperate to send their kids down south for their education? When I was growing up 20 minutes from HPU, it was everyone's "safety school" from my HS. It's hilarious to me when they try to pass it off as being on the level of Davidson.

No. High Point and places like Rollins (although Rollins is not a bad school)are for kids from the Northeast who are medicore students, but want to go to a private school down south for the weather. They choose a private over a public because they don't want to rub elbows with working class folks at say Auburn or Clemson (plus it isn't that easy to get into those schools for out of state kids).

The kids going to mediocre Southern school like the weather and the perception that they are something special.

ASUMountaineer
January 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
No. High Point and places like Rollins (although Rollins is not a bad school)are for kids from the Northeast who are medicore students, but want to go to a private school down south for the weather. They choose a private over a public because they don't want to rub elbows with working class folks at say Auburn or Clemson (plus it isn't that easy to get into those schools for out of state kids).

The kids going to mediocre Southern school like the weather and the perception that they are something special.

That makes more sense.

WataugaDave
January 14th, 2013, 04:33 PM

That philosophy has failed so many times at every level of competition.

WH49er
January 15th, 2013, 08:38 AM

It was for academic weaknesses, lack of reference material, and certain departments had to improve their finances. I would think all of this would coincide in most cases such as theirs.

walliver
January 15th, 2013, 08:52 AM

Actually at Clemson, there are many people who SC who believe it is much easier for out-of-state kids to get admission. Apparently the difference in tuition rates is greater than the state subsidy and out-of-state kids bring in more revenue. The College of Charleston, also public, well known in SC as the place to go for a MRS degree, is actively recruiting the northeastern students you have described (they won't be missed by the SoCon).

citdog
January 15th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Acxtually at Clemson, there are many people who SC who believe it is much easier for out-of-state kids to get admission. Apparently the difference in tuition rates is greater than the state subsidy and out-of-state kids bring in more revenue. The College of Charleston, also public, well known in SC as the place to go for a MRS degree, is actively recruiting the northeastern students you have described (they won't be missed by the SoCon).

vmi is also a great place to go for a mrs. degree.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=54230&d=1337733283

AppChicago
January 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Actually at Clemson, there are many people who SC who believe it is much easier for out-of-state kids to get admission. Apparently the difference in tuition rates is greater than the state subsidy and out-of-state kids bring in more revenue. The College of Charleston, also public, well known in SC as the place to go for a MRS degree, is actively recruiting the northeastern students you have described (they won't be missed by the SoCon).

Yeah, the percentage of funding for public colleges in SC (or at least for USC and Clemson. Not entirely sure about the smaller schools) that comes directly from the state is under 10%. I've heard that state funding at USC is below even athletics licensing fees as a percentage of revenue. So yeah, they're courting out-of-state students where they can.

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2013, 12:19 PM
if you build it, they will come.

That philosophy has failed so many times at every level of competition.

But if you don't build it, where will they go to?

ASUMountaineer
January 15th, 2013, 12:53 PM
But if you don't build it, where will they go to?

In this case...probably Elon.

fc97
January 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM
In this case...probably Elon.

lol, come on! high point has a different type of student that most every school in the socon. i'd be willing to bet few would land in our type of schools. our schools are all first choice type of schools. high point definitely is not.

ASUMountaineer
January 15th, 2013, 01:26 PM
lol, come on! high point has a different type of student that most every school in the socon. i'd be willing to bet few would land in our type of schools. our schools are all first choice type of schools. high point definitely is not.

I agree. I just couldn't resist the opportunity. xlolx

citdog
January 15th, 2013, 01:52 PM
our schools are all first choice type of schools.

funny stuff that is

Vitojr130
January 15th, 2013, 02:15 PM

That's more than I spent so far the entire 4 years I've been at NDSU...

DoWe
January 15th, 2013, 03:43 PM
funny stuff that is

I was chuckling about that too. West Point anyone xdontknowx

citdog
January 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I was chuckling about that too. West Point anyone xdontknowx

no thanks....we've got TWO that are better.

WataugaDave
January 15th, 2013, 10:05 PM

High Point has the exact same type of students as Elon (rich, pretty, Northeastern) only less intelligent.

fc97
January 16th, 2013, 06:51 AM
High Point has the exact same type of students as Elon (rich, pretty, Northeastern) only less intelligent.

i'm not rich, pretty or from the northeast thank you very much.

however, i think the funny thing is that on usnews in the students also applied to section, appalachian is the one listed with james madison and campbell.

WataugaDave
January 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM
i'm not rich, pretty or from the northeast thank you very much.

however, i think the funny thing is that on usnews in the students also applied to section, appalachian is the one listed with james madison and campbell.

I meant to write preppy, I was too tired for that post.

I never considered applying to JMU or Campbell. I just never researched JMU, and Buies Creek is a hellhole of a town and the last place on earth I'd want to live in for four years.

"Besides North Carolina, Elon draws most of its students from Maryland, Massachusetts, and Virginia...Approximately 33% of all Elon students
(undergraduate and graduate) are from North Carolina." (from the Elon factbook).