PDA

View Full Version : What does UD's firing of KC Keeler foreshadow?

LUHawker
January 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM
The departure of KC Keeler came as a great surprise to those following FCS and the commentary that the school wants to go in a different direction suggest to me that further shifts in the college football and FCS landscape are forthcoming.

While some have mentioned a possible move to the PL for UD, I think that is very unlikely at this stage. Division I college football is further stratifying itself and UD is a big enough program that stepping up to the next level (whatever that may ultimately prove to be) seems more likely than not, so the PL is probably not an option.

If we assume that UD is "moving up" at some point not far in the future, along with ODU, JMU and perhaps ASU, what other dominoes fall. The CAA, already an unsettled conference, will likely be more unsettled and if that occurs, one has to wonder does W&M more seriously look elsewhere? Either South to the SoCon, which may need a replacement or North to the PL? If W&M goes, what does Richmond do? Probably the same decision. And if that happens, what about the other two mid-Atlantic members, Towson and Villanova. If UD, JMU, ASU, and a couple of other schools band together to jump to I-A, will or can Villanova join. Or possibly Towson too? If VU doesn't move with such a group, it would also seem likely that the PL could be a landing spot as well. Less clear what would happen with Towson, as the PL experiment with then Towson State was already tried.

I claim no inside knowledge, but it appears to me that UD is contemplating a major move and such a move will be like removing the keystone from an arch, causing a lot more shifting.

Interesting times.....

chattownmocs
January 8th, 2013, 10:57 AM
If they hire an FCS coordinator we will know the move in imminent.

andy7171
January 8th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Towson will follow where ever Delaware and JMU go. I'm not all that happy about it, but that is who Towson wants to be associated with.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Towson will follow where ever Delaware and JMU go. I'm not all that happy about it, but that is who Towson wants to be associated with.

If Towson thinks they have a shot in FBS they're crazy.

93henfan
January 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM
If they hire an FCS coordinator we will know the move in imminent.

I assume you meant FBS? Or do you mean an FCS coordinator would indicate a downsizing to the Patriot?

Ziady's comments, to me, indicate a move up if any move at all.

HailSzczur
January 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I always get a chuckle out of reading "(insert CAA team here) would be a good fit in the PL". Have fun beating this one to death guys, I'll be back when UD hires a coach.

andy7171
January 8th, 2013, 11:08 AM

And I agree. Doesn't mean they won't make the attempt if Delaware goes.

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I'll GLADLY TRADE William and Mary and Richmond for pigs *** and yosef. Those two should return back home to the Southern Conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2013, 11:15 AM
UConn
Temple
UMass
Delaware
Cincy
USF
East Carolina
Navy

Thought I'd throw that out there. You could maybe even throw ODU and Marshall in there.

bluehenbillk
January 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM
While some have mentioned a possible move to the PL for UD, I think that is very unlikely at this stage.

Look I know some of you guys have a boner for the PL but you read into some things WAY too literally when you make a monthly or less frequesnt perusal at gohens. There is zero interest among UD fans of such a move, and when its brought up, rarely on gohens, it's normally in a sarcastic manner, as is dropping back to the heydays of D2 for the older crowd on there.

On the other hand with moving up, as much as a portion of the UD fanbase, myself included, would love to see that I'd call it pretty doubtful. While Keeler tended to be all-or-nothing in terms of success on the field the UD administration has made multiple blunders during KC's tenure which have done more to drive away fans versus the product on the field.

HenZoneNation
January 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM
UConn
Temple
UMass
Delaware
Cincy
USF
East Carolina
Navy

Thought I'd throw that out there. You could maybe even throw ODU and Marshall in there.

That's a conference I can get behind. We have plenty of old rivals in there with UMASS, UCONN, and Navy. Put ODU and Marshall in their and now you're really talking.

I can tell you, just by the KC firing, we aren't going to the PL. They want to get the interest in the program back up and that won't happen by a perceived drop in comp (whether fair or not that is how the fanbase would see it) and by leaving old rivals to create new ones, no one cares about.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Look I know some of you guys have a boner for the PL but you read into some things WAY too literally when you make a monthly or less frequesnt perusal at gohens. There is zero interest among UD fans of such a move, and when its brought up, rarely on gohens, it's normally in a sarcastic manner, as is dropping back to the heydays of D2 for the older crowd on there.

I fail to see how any of the PL people on AGS have been saying that UD to the Patriot League is at all realistic.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I think it foreshadows Bill Curry coming out of retirement to coach the hens xlolx

LUHawker
January 8th, 2013, 11:28 AM

On the other hand with moving up, as much as a portion of the UD fanbase, myself included, would love to see that I'd call it pretty doubtful. While Keeler tended to be all-or-nothing in terms of success on the field the UD administration has made multiple blunders during KC's tenure which have done more to drive away fans versus the product on the field.

The "some of you guys" I noted was more generally referring to some on the GoHens board. No PLer here said such a thing and I explicitly stated it was not in the cards.

superman7515
January 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I think it foreshadows Bill Curry coming out of retirement to coach the hens xlolx

Hmm... If so, it may be time for me to test out the fan free agent market, haha.

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I agree that there's something more to this than performance. The timing was very odd. Delaware's season has been over for 6 weeks so why did they wait until now? Hiring a new coach during prime time for recruiting season is not how most schools (who care about their football program) prefer to do it.

superman7515
January 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Hiring a new coach during prime time for recruiting season is not how most schools (who care about their football program) prefer to do it.

Well certainly a President from Penn and an AD from Northeastern care about scholarship football teams with large athletic budgets.

PantherRob82
January 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
They are moving to D-II to start a home and home with West Chester.

aceinthehole
January 8th, 2013, 11:44 AM
UConn
Temple
UMass
Delaware
Cincy
USF
East Carolina
Navy

Just wondering where did Central Florida, Memphis, Houston, SMU, and Tulane go in this wild dream?

Did the UConn dump those teams in a vote to bring back 2 former Yankee Conference rivals? xchinscratchx

PAllen
January 8th, 2013, 11:54 AM

+1

It's a lot bigger school than the Towson State I grew up next to, but there is no way they make a successful leap to FBS in the next five years. Plus, I can't imagine that the boys in College Park are going to sit by and let Towson make the move.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Just wondering where did South Florida, Memphis, Houston, SMU, and Tulane go in this wild dream?

Did the UConn dump those teams in a vote to bring back 2 former Yankee Conference rivals? xchinscratchx

USF is in there. The others crawled back into the hole from whence they came... C-USA 1.0. xlolx

You better believe UConn would prefer to drive to a legitimate FBS-level Delaware program with a good stadium than fly to Tulane and SMU. Not Delaware as currently situated, mind, but one that has fully upgraded and committed to FBS.

PAllen
January 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
UConn
Temple
UMass
Delaware
Cincy
USF
East Carolina
Navy

And why would Temple, Cincy, USF, East Carolina and/or Navy sign up for this? Even the arguments for UMass and UConn are pretty weak. Add ODU to the mix, and there is no way the established FBS schools sign up for it.

Neighbor2
January 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joining the Patriot League would only be attractive to a CAA school if that school did so together with 2-3 other CAA schools. But, even it that scenario, it makes no sense to have let Keeler go. Did any UD fans suspect that Keeler and the AD were butting heads for some time now?

aceinthehole
January 8th, 2013, 12:04 PM
USF is in there. The others crawled back into the hole from whence they came... C-USA 1.0. xlolx

You better believe UConn would prefer to drive to a legitimate FBS-level Delaware program with a good stadium than fly to Tulane and SMU. Not Delaware as currently situated, mind, but one that has fully upgraded and committed to FBS.

Really, and you know this how? You are totally absurd in your thinking!

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Really, and you know this how? You are totally absurd in your thinking!

just wait it gets LOTS BETTER!

TheRevSFA
January 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM
UConn
Temple
UMass
Delaware
Cincy
USF
East Carolina
Navy

What a ****ty conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Worse than UConn's existing conference.... how?

superman7515
January 8th, 2013, 12:40 PM

Somewhere below the MAC (and way below the MWC and CUSA) and just above the WAC. Maybe call it the Dominion Unified Mid-Based Atlantic Sports Syndicate.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2013, 12:41 PM
You guys need to take a look at UConn's existing conference for 2015 again.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Foreshadowing may be an exaggeration.

When Patrick Harker hired Eric Ziady, it may have been as simple as "Fix the football program. Bernard Muir didn't do it, but you will. Give me a status report in 90 days," to which Ziady can now say that he's made changes necessary to move forward, i.e., new coach.

Are all the pieces in place? Of course not, but it allows the AD to tell his boss that changes are being made.

If Delaware was planning on changing conferences, coaching hires would not play any significant role.

aceinthehole
January 8th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Worse than UConn's existing conference.... how?

If you think replacing that Houston and SMU with Delaware and UMass is an upgrade for UConn, Temple and USF you need your head examined.

The 'new" Big East is not as good as it was just a few seasons ago, but once again your latest "dream conference" is a poor joke.

You and Bison share a lot more in common than you would probably like to admit.

RichH2
January 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Since I go back to Middle 5 era, I have a lot of fond memories of our series w UD. Love to play them again yearly but dont see them joining PL any time soon. Adecade from now perhaps different.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2013, 01:44 PM
If you think replacing that Houston and SMU with Delaware and UMass is an upgrade for UConn, Temple and USF you need your head examined.

The 'new" Big East is not as good as it was just a few seasons ago, but once again your latest "dream conference" is a poor joke.

I guess I overestimated your ability to fully understand the scope of the crisis that's enveloping UConn athletics as we speak. The Big Continent is not in a position to "upgrade" or bargain from strength. They're trying to get a somewhat-viable all-sports conference together in order to keep people from jumping ship.

Did you just willfully ignore the report that the Big Continent was looking at UMass?

aceinthehole
January 8th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I guess I overestimated your ability to fully understand the scope of the crisis that's enveloping UConn athletics as we speak. The Big Continent is not in a position to "upgrade" or bargain from strength. They're trying to get a somewhat-viable all-sports conference together in order to keep people from jumping ship.

Did you just willfully ignore the report that the Big Continent was looking at UMass?

My response was in direct contridiction to your statement that UConn prefers UMass and Delware to Houston and SMU. I have read NOTHING to support your wild statements.

You still did not provide any explanation why (and just as importantly how) the current Big East would dump UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane and add UMass and Delaware? Would UConn and others actually vote for this?

The current Big East (or whatever you would like to call it) as constructed does not need to drop schools - they may need to add some, but they can't really afford to lose FBS programs in Texas, Florida, and New Orleans. UConn's current conference situation isn't ideal, but swapping UH and SMU for UMass and UD would make their position exponentially worse - and you are suggesting the exact opposite, that adding UMass and UD is a net gain.

So I'll ask again - why does UConn want UMass and UD, and what do they gain by dropping Houston and SMU?

OhioHen
January 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM
UConn
Temple
UMass
Delaware
Cincy
USF
East Carolina
Navy

Don't see it happening, but this would work for me - University of Cincinnati campus is just 20 miles from home, so the opportunity to support the Hens in person (multiple sports) would be greatly increased for me.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Don't see it happening, but this would work for me - University of Cincinnati campus is just 20 miles from home, so the opportunity to support the Hens in person (multiple sports) would be greatly increased for me.

Given UD's proximity to Philly, Baltimore and DC I think there's real potential in hoops if the right people are put in place. Is there an arena to use in Wilmington?

An all sports league of...
Temple
Delaware - A 32k seat Tub would be fun
UConn
Umass
Cincy
USF
ECU
Memphis
JMU - maybe??
...would be pretty attractive. There would be fun regional rivalries in football and basketball would remain nationally viable. Most of the schools are very comparable academically. The only real exception is Memphis which is a glorified junior college.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM

I would take Delaware and Umass over Houston and SMU. There's no question in my mind.