PDA

View Full Version : SDSU vows to avenge missed chance

89rabbit
August 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/SPORTS0202/608240302/1002/SPORTS

SDSU vows to avenge missed chance
Montana mistake still fresh in Jacks' minds

Chris Solari
[email protected]
August 24, 2006

BROOKINGS - One play defined South Dakota State's 2005 season - and not in a good way.

In a defensive standoff early last September, the Jackrabbits trailed 7-0 on the road against then fourth-ranked Montana. After moving into scoring position, an upset of gigantic proportions seemed a distinct possibility, silencing the hostile crowd of more than 23,000.

Then, literally, the chance slipped right through the Jacks' hands with about two minutes left.

A direct shotgun snap went past running back Cory Koenig and SDSU had misfired on its only scoring chance. Montana took the ball and ran out the clock.

"Oh man, that was sour - especially when I was watching them on TV in the playoffs," SDSU senior tight end Chris Wagner said. "One play here, one play there, and we could have beat those guys."

That one mistake represented all of the good and bad in SDSU's 6-5 campaign. In three of their losses, the Jacks stuck with their ranked opponents until late. All five losses came against teams that were ranked in Division I-AA.

But as Coach John Stiegelmeier has said time and again in his previous nine seasons, there are no moral victories in a loss. SDSU has yet to beat a ranked team since moving into I-AA in 2004.

The Jacks again will get plenty of chances to change that with an even more challenging schedule this year. Seven opponents are ranked in the preseason

I-AA poll: Montana (third), Northern Iowa (fourth), Cal Poly (sixth), McNeese State (11th), North Dakota State (19th), UC Davis (21st) and Nicholls State (24th).

As if that's not enough to make Stiegelmeier's head spin, all but one of those games is on the road. . . . (read more)

That direct snap play call on the goal line in the 4th Qtr may go down as one of the worst calls in SDSU history. :bang: xidiotx :bang:

McNeese75
August 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM
:D Nothing like throwing out a little bulletin material before you visit the friendly confines of Wash-Griz. xlolx