PDA

View Full Version : TSN says SC State in the MEAC

OL FU
August 24th, 2006, 07:16 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - South Carolina State fans would love to live in a world that did not include Justin Durant, Alonzo Coleman and the rest of the Hampton Pirates.

1. South Carolina State
2. Hampton
3. Bethune-Cookman
4. Florida A & M
5. Delaware State
6. Norfolk State
7. Morgan State
8. Howard
9. North Carolina A & T

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

AppGuy04
August 24th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I agree

bosshogg
August 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM
http://www.charleston.net/assets/images/News/dailyLeads/8_24_2006_sports.jpg

'I know I can do the job'

BY JOHN DEVLIN
Special to The Post and Courier

ORANGEBURG - Cleveland McCoy is projecting a different image these days at South Carolina State.

A year ago, the former Baptist Hill High School star was charged with taking over the starting quarterback role for a Bulldogs team that was coming off a 9-2 season and had dreams of winning the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference championship and advancing to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs.

McCoy certainly lived up the challenge, stepping in as a sophomore to complete 57 percent of his passes for 1,692 yards and 13 touchdowns. He also ran for 475 yards and four TDs while leading S.C. State to another 9-2 record.

The personal reward was being named the first-team quarterback on the all-conference squad.

"I knew what everybody was asking: 'Can he do the job?' I asked myself the same question," McCoy said.

"This year is completely different. I'm more confident, more relaxed. I know I can do the job. The team believes in me and that pushes me to be an even better quarterback. My attitude is that I'm never done learning and growing as a player."

The master plan this season is to make McCoy a more complete quarterback, which is a fearful prospect for MEAC defensive coordinators.

"Cleve has an 'X' factor that a lot of quarterbacks don't have, and for him that's his ability to run the ball," said Jonathan Pry, the Bulldogs' new quarterback coach.

"But this year he's using his feet to buy time to get throws off he didn't last year.

"His first instinct isn't to tuck the ball and take off. He's more patient in the pocket, trusting his line to protect him and trusting his receivers to get open. For our offense to be complete, we have to be able to throw the ball down the field. Cleve understands that completely."

McCoy, a run-first quarterback in high school, understands his role completely.

"I'm not here to run the football, I'm here to make the plays a quarterback makes and that means throwing the ball," he said.

"At first last year, I really did have a tendency to break things off too soon and run, but I got better as the season went on. I'm still moving around on passing plays, but it's always with my eyes down the field. That's my first option now - to let the plays develop downfield. It's taken a while but I understand now what my role is in this offense."

That role is to manage the Bulldogs' potent running game, and make it even more productive by stretching the defense with deeper passes.

"I had pretty good numbers last year, and I think I'll have better numbers this year, but I also understand that it's not for me to try and put this team on my shoulders," said McCoy.

"We have a great offense, and we all have a role. If we all do our jobs, we're going to be tough to stop."

Catmendue2
August 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM
I agree

Me too, SCSU losses are going to be less devastating.

NoCoDanny
August 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Are their colors blue and white or red and white? The picture shows blue, the avatar red...

bosshogg
August 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM
S.C. State University colors are garnet and blue....they just always have some white in there.

arranger101
August 24th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, Garnet and Blue......