PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Bold Predictions for the SOCON

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 11:27 AM
-Chattanooga will win the conference
- App State and Wofford will Miss the playoffs
- Chattanooga, Georgia Southern, and Samford will be the SOCON's playoff teams
- Chattanooga will not only end App State's domination in Boone, they will win by 3+ TDs
- Western will win a conference game.
- The App State fan base will be calling for Satterfield's head by October.
- Chattanooga will sweep the conference's top awards...OPOY(Jacob Huesman) DPOY(Davis Tull) COY(Russ Huesman)
- Furman posters will still believe they are an elite program even after another poor season.
- Chattanooga will be the most unlikely National Champion in FCS history as they stun the heavily favored Bison for the National Title.

md64179
January 7th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Here we go again

My prediction, chattownmocs will vanish from this board in late October...again

asumike83
January 7th, 2013, 11:34 AM
And now the offseason has officially begun on AGS.

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM
- Chattanooga will not only end App State's domination in Boone, they will win by 3+ TDs
- Chattanooga will sweep the conference's top awards...OPOY(Jacob Huesman) DPOY(Davis Tull) COY(Russ Huesman)
- Furman posters will still believe they are an elite program even after another poor season.
- Chattanooga will be the most unlikely National Champion in FCS history as they stun the heavily favored Bison for the National Title.

funny how you didn't even mention the team that will WIN THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE IN 2013.

HINT......THEY'RE WEARING WHITE

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/journalnow.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/00/f0049242-fdf3-5d59-9241-e111ab290d54/50c0bdbdbe40a.preview-300.jpg

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 11:38 AM
funny how you didn't even mention the team that will WIN THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE IN 2013.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/journalnow.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/00/f0049242-fdf3-5d59-9241-e111ab290d54/50c0bdbdbe40a.preview-300.jpg

28-10

cannonballgsu
January 7th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the mention.

http://www.postandcourier.com/storyimage/CP/20120908/PC20/120909239/AR/0/AR-120909239.jpg&q=100&maxh=300

walliver
January 7th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Chatty loses to ASU, GSU, and Wofford by a total of 3 points.

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the mention.

http://www.postandcourier.com/storyimage/CP/20120908/PC20/120909239/AR/0/AR-120909239.jpg&q=100&maxh=300

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo3dcMUVAG4

cannonballgsu
January 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo3dcMUVAG4

How was that playoff run?

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 12:13 PM
How was that playoff run?

I'll let you know after Frisco next season.

ASUMountaineer
January 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I'll let you know after Frisco next season.

Like a Cubs fan, "wait until next year!"

ASUMountaineer
January 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM

xlolx those are bold.

344Johnson
January 7th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Lol at the Mocs winning the SoCon

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2013, 12:50 PM

UTC's last SoCon title was 1984. Since that time, Furman has a national title, seven conference titles, and three national title appearances. Furman also reeled off 15 consecutive wins against the Mocs and had a record against 23-5 against them during that time.

Yes, Furman had a bad season. Even then, I'll bank of Furman winning another SoCon title before UTC does.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 12:51 PM
UTC's last SoCon title was 1984. Since that time, Furman has a national title, seven conference titles, and three national title appearances. Furman also reeled off 15 consecutive wins against the Mocs and had a record against 23-5 against them during that time.

Yes, Furman had a bad season. Even then, I'll bank of Furman winning another SoCon title before UTC does.

Great example of what I'm talking about.

AppChicago
January 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Great example of what I'm talking about.

Yes, PaladinFan. This thread isn't about facts and figures. It's about unfounded optimism. So just listen up while you're called a has-been by this bigger has-been.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
You guys just don't get it do you? It's Chattanooga's time next year. Time for 7 defensive seniors starters to elevate their game to the top of FCS. It's time for Jacob Huesman to elevate his game and become the FCS version of Johnny Manziel. It's time for Kendrix Huitt to prove that he was a great back coming out of Georgia and he deserved to play in the SEC. It's time for this veteran offensive line to gel and put a solid product on the field. It is time for Terrell Robinson to embrace his role as a WR and make a move towards the NFL as the next Randall Cobb.

Championship time in Chattanooga.

asumike83
January 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I thought he was the FCS version of Tebow? Based on how he threw the ball when I saw him live, that seems like a much better comparison.

Horseshoe App
January 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM
The hard facts are I think he actually believes what he says. There is no way UTC gets by Georgia Southern or ASU. These two schools simply have too much returning for UTC to beat them. When I watched UTC-ASU last year, Jacob Huesman got abused. And we were not that good on defense. Unless God comes in with divine intervention, UTC will remain in the middle of the pack and might sniff at 3rd or 4th place.

You guys just don't get it do you? It's Chattanooga's time next year. Time for 7 defensive seniors starters to elevate their game to the top of FCS. It's time for Jacob Huesman to elevate his game and become the FCS version of Johnny Manziel. It's time for Kendrix Huitt to prove that he was a great back coming out of Georgia and he deserved to play in the SEC. It's time for this veteran offensive line to gel and put a solid product on the field. It is time for Terrell Robinson to embrace his role as a WR and make a move towards the NFL as the next Randall Cobb.

Tubakat2014
January 7th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Here we go again

My prediction, chattownmocs will vanish from this board in late October...again

A broken clock is right twice per day!

Unfortunately for chattownmocs, this is a very, very long day.

Eaglesrus
January 7th, 2013, 01:32 PM

I'd pretty much agree that it is time for those things. However, there's a lot of space between it being time for all of those things and all of them actually happening, however.

Apphole
January 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Yes, PaladinFan. This thread isn't about facts and figures. It's about unfounded optimism. So just listen up while you're called a has-been by this bigger has-been.

I'm pretty sure you have to be a "been" before you can be a "has-been."

Nooga will not win the SoCon until App and Stink leave.

cbarrier90
January 7th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to be a "been" before you can be a "has-been."

Nooga will not win the SoCon until App and Stink leave.

But by that time Furman's very young roster this past season will be juniors and seniors...

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2013, 02:02 PM
But by that time Furman's very young roster this past season will be juniors and seniors...

Don't you dare hijack a perfectly good thread into more of this "App State Someday" nonsense.

Apphole
January 7th, 2013, 02:22 PM
My bold predictions:

-GaSo and Appalachian will accept invitations to the Sunbelt Conference before the start of the season, rendering them ineligible the SoCon title.
-Samford and Chattanooga will share the SoCon title (despite having worse record than GaSo and ASU), but Nooga will get left out of the playoffs.
-Appalachian won't lose a SoCon game.
-Georgia Southern will only lose one conference game at ASU.
-Appalachian, GaSo, and Samford will represent the SoCon.
-ASU be the #1 seed and beat Samford again at home in the second round.
-GaSo will meet NDSU in the QF and beat them, only to lost to JMU in the SF.
-Appalachian beats JMU in the NC.

cbarrier90
January 7th, 2013, 02:22 PM

Not THAT far-fetched with Wofford post-Breitenstein being an enigma, Furman still a year away, and Chattanooga still having talent, but it's still App and GSU's to lose.

Wofford I could see, especially if Woody leaves. In ASU's case, they have made the playoffs amidst poor offense (2010), program scandal (2011) and poor defense (2012) so it would take some true mismanagement from many parties to miss this season.

Samford could surprise some people, but for how many years have we been saying that?

I like the new, toned-down, less-confrontational Chattown. Hopefully he stays...

They have to eventually. The coaching staff there is too good not to...

-The App State fan base will be calling for Satterfield's head by October.

That happens every year, even with Jerry...

That would require them to be in the SoCon what Boise State was to the WAC, and that's not happening with any team this year.

And they'll cite figures from 10-20 years ago in attempt to prove their point. Still think they'll get back to that spot in the "Big Three" but only because I expect Wofford to be down. In two or three years if they continue their progression from this past season they'll be challenging for the conference again.

Well, you got the bolded part right...

asumike83
January 7th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Bold prediction: we will see a nearly identical thread one year from now.

SpeedkingATL
January 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Bold prediction: we will see a nearly identical thread one year from now.

I don't know, App and GaSo may be FBS by then and maybe, just maybe UTC will have won SOMETHING by then.

Eagle22
January 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Not THAT far-fetched with Wofford post-Breitenstein being an enigma, Furman still a year away, and Chattanooga still having talent, but it's still App and GSU's to lose.

Wofford I could see, especially if Woody leaves. In ASU's case, they have made the playoffs amidst poor offense (2010), program scandal (2011) and poor defense (2012) so it would take some true mismanagement from many parties to miss this season.

Samford could surprise some people, but for how many years have we been saying that?

I like the new, toned-down, less-confrontational Chattown. Hopefully he stays...

They have to eventually. The coaching staff there is too good not to...

That happens every year, even with Jerry...

That would require them to be in the SoCon what Boise State was to the WAC, and that's not happening with any team this year.

And they'll cite figures from 10-20 years ago in attempt to prove their point. Still think they'll get back to that spot in the "Big Three" but only because I expect Wofford to be down. In two or three years if they continue their progression from this past season they'll be challenging for the conference again.

Well, you got the bolded part right...

Unless Samford signs a good transfer QB I don't think they'll be in the playoff hunt in 2013. Carson Barnett isn't bad (I watched him play high school ball) but I don't think he'll set the SoCon on fire his first year out, and certainly don't think he is as good as Summerlin or even Talliferro right now. The other qb (rising senior) isn't very good. Samford will have to either beat GSU in B-ham, or ASU in Boone to have a realistic shot at the playoffs. I think neither happen.

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I don't know, App and GaSo may be FBS by then and maybe, just maybe UTC will have won SOMETHING by then.

Ok we ****ing GET IT. that's the 6th damn time this pipe dream has been mentioned just today.

have some goddamned respect for yourselves.

this is getting sad.

neither of you could beat The Citadel but you've outgrown the subdivision. xrolleyesx

Apphole
January 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Ok we ****ing GET IT. that's the 6th damn time this pipe dream has been mentioned just today.

this is getting sad.

neither of you could beat The Citadel but you've outgrown the subdivision. xrolleyesx

If that really is your position, you clearly don't understand realignment. 30k fans at our home games, national brand ect.

We'll be leaving soon, don't worry.

md64179
January 7th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Once again we have all heard this before. You know, Chattanooga kinda reminds me of the Carolina Panthers (I am a huge fan btw). Tons of pre-season hype, talented players, blah, blah, blah. They fall flat on their faces to start the season, can’t win the close game and by mid season are playing for nothing. And then when it does not matter, they play great and barely miss the playoffs giving the fans a little something to look forward to next season. When in reality they are just a slightly above average team that can’t seem to put all the pieces together.
But hey, dream big

ASUMountaineer
January 7th, 2013, 03:12 PM

this is getting sad.

How did you guys do in the playoffs?

Apphole
January 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Once again we have all heard this before. You know, Chattanooga kinda reminds me of the Carolina Panthers (I am a huge fan btw). Tons of pre-season hype, talented players, blah, blah, blah. They fall flat on their faces to start the season, can’t win the close game and by mid season are playing for nothing. And then when it does not matter, they play great and barely miss the playoffs giving the fans a little something to look forward to next season. When in reality they are just a slightly above average team that can’t seem to put all the pieces together.
But hey, dream big

Chattownmocs=Ryan Kalil

http://www.wbtv.com/story/19108638/panthers-player-takes-out-full-page-ad-predicting-super-bowl-win

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2013, 03:20 PM
If that really is your position, you clearly don't understand realignment. 30k fans at our home games, national brand ect.

Wait. Did you say "national brand?"

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Unless Samford signs a good transfer QB I don't think they'll be in the playoff hunt in 2013. Carson Barnett isn't bad (I watched him play high school ball) but I don't think he'll set the SoCon on fire his first year out, and certainly don't think he is as good as Summerlin or even Talliferro right now. The other qb (rising senior) isn't very good. Samford will have to either beat GSU in B-ham, or ASU in Boone to have a realistic shot at the playoffs. I think neither happen.

I can't help but wonder if Samford has "hit the ceiling."

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 03:26 PM

you didn't hit the 30k mark ONCE all season. how was that playoff crowd?

national brand? that's FUNNY

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM
How did you guys do in the playoffs?

we won as many games as you did

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Wait. Did you say "national brand?"

Still feeding off App over UM...most would say that you're dining from a rotten trough. Personally, I'm looking forward to experiencing a SoCon game this fall at KBS and perhaps a NDSU/App matchup in the playoffs. There is a storied program that over the past few years, doesn't carry quite the shine that it did 5-7 years ago. Can App get it back? Absolutely! Will they do it by jumping to the FBS? Nope...they'll get lost like Marshall has.

IBleedYellow
January 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Goodluck beating GSU. That's all I'm going to say.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM

You think I'm not familiar with them and that anyone down here believes they are unbeatable just because they gave your team a good game? They lost 2 SOCON games. They are a good team, they are not even close to being unbeatable.

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 03:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Ees0HMS8I

cbarrier90
January 7th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Ok we ****ing GET IT.

The speculation will continue until morale improves!

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM
The speculation will continue until morale improves!

i used to like and respect app st. NO MOORE.

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Wofford math.

IBleedYellow
January 7th, 2013, 04:47 PM
You think I'm not familiar with them and that anyone down here believes they are unbeatable just because they gave your team a good game? They lost 2 SOCON games. They are a good team, they are not even close to being unbeatable.

Considering the fact that we are 3-0 against them, I would say that they are beatable. But if you want to win the SoCon you have to beat them year in and year out. Enjoy that.

Apphole
January 7th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Considering the fact that we are 3-0 against them, I would say that they are beatable. But if you want to win the SoCon you have to beat them year in and year out. Enjoy that.

We certainly enjoy doing it every year.

IBleedYellow
January 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM

I have no gripes with you ASU guys. I'm talking about these Mocs...

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 7th, 2013, 05:10 PM
prediction: Chatt will put a great defense on the field, but somehow, someway, Huesman and his coaching staff will again, @$#%#% up 2 or 3 games , and yet, becouse no one gives a rats *** at the University,Huesman will again escape and keep his job.

eaglewraith
January 7th, 2013, 05:13 PM

EVERY year?

TheRevSFA
January 7th, 2013, 05:16 PM

this is getting sad.

Gotta spread some of my rep before I can hit you up again

asumike83
January 7th, 2013, 05:34 PM

this is getting sad.

Wow. All he said was that MAYBE App/GSU will be FBS in a year and MAYBE Chattanooga will win something in the next year. Both are valid points, although I think it is more likely that App/GSU get an FBS invite than it is that Chattanooga will win the SoCon.

We had 30K for Montana, also 29K for Elon/Furman. Our "horrible" playoff crowd of 16,719 would have been #9 in the FCS if we'd had that turnout every week so it was pretty good, thanks.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 07:15 AM
we won as many games as you did

I didn't ask how many games you won, I asked how Citadel did in the playoffs.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Still feeding off App over UM...most would say that you're dining from a rotten trough. Personally, I'm looking forward to experiencing a SoCon game this fall at KBS and perhaps a NDSU/App matchup in the playoffs. There is a storied program that over the past few years, doesn't carry quite the shine that it did 5-7 years ago. Can App get it back? Absolutely! Will they do it by jumping to the FBS? Nope...they'll get lost like Marshall has.

What are this week's lottery numbers, maybe I'll win? Why do fans of schools that moved from DII to DI want to bash a school for wanting to move from FCS to FBS? I don't get it.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 07:19 AM
i used to like and respect app st. NO MOORE.

I used to like and respect Citadel, until I saw a cheerleader kick a cadet's ***.

AppAlum2003
January 8th, 2013, 07:25 AM
hey, do you guys ever have deja vu?

Smitty
January 8th, 2013, 07:26 AM
I wish Western would start winning more so I could become a delusional fan....

Bolded = fat chance....

- Chattanooga will win the conference
- Chattanooga, Georgia Southern, and Samford will be the SOCON's playoff teams - Samford still needs to improve a little
- Chattanooga will not only end App State's domination in Boone, they will win by 3+ TDs - Because it has happened before..............
- The App State fan base will be calling for Satterfield's head by October. - I believe it will be their AD that they want canned
- Chattanooga will sweep the conference's top awards...OPOY(Jacob Huesman) DPOY(Davis Tull) COY(Russ Huesman) - Not likely

AppAlum2003
January 8th, 2013, 07:26 AM
hey, do you guys ever have deja vu? lskdjfalsdkf;asdf

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2013, 07:31 AM
What are this week's lottery numbers, maybe I'll win? Why do fans of schools that moved from DII to DI want to bash a school for wanting to move from FCS to FBS? I don't get it.

I don't think anybody is bashing App State over anything. If Furman was in a position to move to the ACC, I'd be all for it. The reality is every thread remotely related to SoCon football turns into a discussion of App State moving to the FBS. Even Georgia Southern fans, who have been beating the drum far longer than App State, realize that there is some value in a hiatus from the subject.

I speak for myself, and perhaps share the sentiments of a few others, but I wish App State well. I, personally, think they are really no closer to leaving the SoCon than they were five or six years ago. I've really seen nothing to suggest that I am incorrect. Still, if they go, great. I am just tired of having every thread hijacked by the discussion.

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I wish Western would start winning more so I could become a delusional fan....

Bolded = fat chance....

- Chattanooga will win the conference
- Chattanooga, Georgia Southern, and Samford will be the SOCON's playoff teams - Samford still needs to improve a little
- Chattanooga will not only end App State's domination in Boone, they will win by 3+ TDs - Because it has happened before..............
- The App State fan base will be calling for Satterfield's head by October. - I believe it will be their AD that they want canned
- Chattanooga will sweep the conference's top awards...OPOY(Jacob Huesman) DPOY(Davis Tull) COY(Russ Huesman) - Not likely

You guys are the favorite whipping boy of the forum through no fault of yours, but is there any insight into what the timetable is for a potential WCU turnaround?

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I don't think anybody is bashing App State over anything. If Furman was in a position to move to the ACC, I'd be all for it. The reality is every thread remotely related to SoCon football turns into a discussion of App State moving to the FBS. Even Georgia Southern fans, who have been beating the drum far longer than App State, realize that there is some value in a hiatus from the subject.

I speak for myself, and perhaps share the sentiments of a few others, but I wish App State well. I, personally, think they are really no closer to leaving the SoCon than they were five or six years ago. I've really seen nothing to suggest that I am incorrect. Still, if they go, great. I am just tired of having every thread hijacked by the discussion.

Please notice I was referring to a Bison fan discussing App's desire to move to FBS. Apparently, it's not just ASU fans that enjoy discussing it.

AppAlum2003
January 8th, 2013, 07:35 AM
You guys are the favorite whipping boy of the forum through no fault of yours, but is there any insight into what the timetable is for a potential WCU turnaround?

November 31

CID1990
January 8th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Given Chatty's history of underachieving with the best of athletes I wont hold my breath.

Smitty
January 8th, 2013, 08:36 AM

This next year I am hoping for at least 2 SoCon wins (don't care who) then hopefully more competitive for 2014

in theory...

Apphole
January 8th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I, personally, think they are really no closer to leaving the SoCon than they were five or six years ago. I've really seen nothing to suggest that I am incorrect. Still, if they go, great..

If you have seen nothing to indicate that our move is happening soon, you must be pretty damn good at dodging information.

I'm not saying there is a set time table or anything, but to say there is absolutely no evidence of ASU's FBS move being further along than 5-6 years ago is about as delusional as a chattown post.

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I didn't ask how many games you won, I asked how Citadel did in the playoffs.

and I answered you. The Citadel won as many playoff games this year as you did.

Way to REPRESENT!

TheRevSFA
January 8th, 2013, 09:20 AM
My bold prediction - Citdog still refers to it as the Unreconstructed Southern Conference.

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM
hey, do you guys ever have deja vu? lskdjfalsdkf;asdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i800jcY1Q7A

asumike83
January 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM
This next year I am hoping for at least 2 SoCon wins (don't care who) then hopefully more competitive for 2014

in theory...

I also think the SoCon losing streak will end in 2013. If I had to guess, I'd say it is snapped when you get Elon at home. I like that Mitchell kid, if he stays healthy then a team that competes in the SoCon in 2014 is not unrealistic.

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM
If you have seen nothing to indicate that our move is happening soon, you must be pretty damn good at dodging information.

I'm not saying there is a set time table or anything, but to say there is absolutely no evidence of ASU's FBS move being further along than 5-6 years ago is about as delusional as a chattown post.

If you look at a piece of property, a nice piece, get an appraisal, think about it, and then realize you cannot afford it, are you any closer to buying the property than you were to begin with?

Apphole
January 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
If you look at a piece of property, a nice piece, get an appraisal, think about it, and then realize you cannot afford it, are you any closer to buying the property than you were to begin with?

Do you have any links or substantiation that we can't afford the move? Because I actually have a long expensive study presentation explaining that we can, in fact, afford it. There is an ever-changing landscape in college football and we have an administration committed to making the jump. We have spent millions already and are on the verge of spending millions more on facilities that are head and shoulders above any FCS program. We have been mentioned in every Sunbelt related realignment breath by everyone from bloggers to sports journalists to Commissioner Benson himself.

Nothing but you and Citdog's wishful thinking indicate a long term FCS status for Appalachian. It is only a matter of time.

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Because I actually have a long expensive study presentation explaining that we can, in fact, afford it.

8x10 glossy photographs with circles and arrows and diagrams?

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/dcee7769-635a-41f6-a8a8-b3d8ea6e7821.jpg

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 10:47 AM
and I answered you. The Citadel won as many playoff games this year as you did.

Way to REPRESENT!

So, the answer was zero. That was easy.

The difference between Appalachian and Citadel is that Appalachian can actually make the playoffs.

TheRevSFA
January 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Do you have any links or substantiation that we can't afford the move? Because I actually have a long expensive study presentation explaining that we can, in fact, afford it. There is an ever-changing landscape in college football and we have an administration committed to making the jump. We have spent millions already and are on the verge of spending millions more on facilities that are head and shoulders above any FCS program. We have been mentioned in every Sunbelt related realignment breath by everyone from bloggers to sports journalists to Commissioner Benson himself.

Nothing but you and Citdog's wishful thinking indicate a long term FCS status for Appalachian. It is only a matter of time.

In a matter of time the lower tier FBS and upper echelon FCS will be combined into one division..again. Once the BCS conferences completely split off and negate any opportunity for a lower tier FBS team to ever get a NC.

Is it really moving up at that point, or laterally? Let's say you didn't move up and what I mentioned happened..you'd be in the same spot.

asumike83
January 8th, 2013, 10:57 AM
In a matter of time the lower tier FBS and upper echelon FCS will be combined into one division..again. Once the BCS conferences completely split off and negate any opportunity for a lower tier FBS team to ever get a NC.

Is it really moving up at that point, or laterally? Let's say you didn't move up and what I mentioned happened..you'd be in the same spot.

I don't think every FCS team will ever be combined with all the non-AQ FBS teams. If anything like that were to happen, I think having 3 tiers would be much more likely where the BCS conferences are Tier 1, non-AQ FBS is Tier 2 and the FCS is Tier 3.

Apphole
January 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM

There is nothing to back your theory but years of message board specualtion and we're the ones with the pipe dream. xrolleyesx

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Take price out of it. I have always said the analysis is two parts. First, can they make the move? Second, is there anyone that will take them? That is to say, doing one without the other is the same as doing neither. You are right back where you started.

Look at it another way. You have a job. You want to move jobs to what you perceive to be a better job. First, can you and your family afford it? Second, even if you can afford the move, do you necessarily have an opportunity at the place you perceive to be a better job? You may have 100,000 conversations around the dinner table about it, but at the end of the day, if there's no job, it's just talk.

Just to reinforce the point, we've heard the "it is imminent" discussion for, quite literally, years. Again, I'm happy for them if they go, but it is ludicrous to continue to have this conversation until something is on the table. We've just witnessed the largest period of conference upheaval and realignment any of us can remember, and App State still has no invitation to the FBS. Football programs that did not even exist a few years ago have invitations, but not App State. It may come, but it is not as though this period of change is going to last forever. I say everyone just hang tight, and if the move happens, well, best of luck. Until then, let's talk about the 2013 season.

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Take price out of it. I have always said the analysis is two parts. First, can they make the move? Second, is there anyone that will take them? That is to say, doing one without the other is the same as doing neither. You are right back where you started.

Look at it another way. You have a job. You want to move jobs to what you perceive to be a better job. First, can you and your family afford it? Second, even if you can afford the move, do you necessarily have an opportunity at the place you perceive to be a better job? You may have 100,000 conversations around the dinner table about it, but at the end of the day, if there's no job, it's just talk.

Just to reinforce the point, we've heard the "it is imminent" discussion for, quite literally, years. Again, I'm happy for them if they go, but it is ludicrous to continue to have this conversation until something is on the table. We've just witnessed the largest period of conference upheaval and realignment any of us can remember, and App State still has no invitation to the FBS. Football programs that did not even exist a few years ago have invitations, but not App State. It may come, but it is not as though this period of change is going to last forever. I say everyone just hang tight, and if the move happens, well, best of luck. Until then, let's talk about the 2013 season.

well said.

below is something we can ALL rally around.

FURMAN SUCKS

Apphole
January 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM

So after I clearly cited examples of interest from the SunBelt conference in the form of mentions from the commissioner and beat writers for the conference, you STILL busted out the same false drivel that you've been spewing for a year about how "no conference has shown interest in us." If you want to live in denial, go ahead. But I'd just like to emphasize that you are not convincing anyone. There is a MUTUAL interest, man. To deny that is to deny your own ability to read for Christ sake.

I'm tired of talking about it too. Not because it's a dead issue to me, but because of the same mental gymnastics you people pull every single time without fail. First, someone attacks ASU and our imminent move to the FBS. Then you or Citdog crap out the same old **** about how "no one wants us" and "we will never move to the FBS" even though that assertion has been proven wrong almost daily on this forum. I hope you're actually a man when the move is announced and show up for your eat a truck load of crow. I have a feeling you'll somehow twist it into an "i told you so" though. That should be interesting.

TheRevSFA
January 8th, 2013, 12:29 PM
There is nothing to back your theory but years of message board specualtion and we're the ones with the pipe dream. xrolleyesx

But since you're in the THC I thought I'd add to your pipe :D

Apphole
January 8th, 2013, 12:30 PM

I smoke out of a 4' bong. xthumbsupx

TheRevSFA
January 8th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I smoke out of a 4' bong. xthumbsupx

xthumbsupx

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM
So after I clearly cited examples of interest from the SunBelt conference in the form of mentions from the commissioner and beat writers for the conference, you STILL busted out the same false drivel that you've been spewing for a year about how "no conference has shown interest in us." If you want to live in denial, go ahead. But I'd just like to emphasize that you are not convincing anyone. There is a MUTUAL interest, man. To deny that is to deny your own ability to read for Christ sake.

I'm tired of talking about it too. Not because it's a dead issue to me, but because of the same mental gymnastics you people pull every single time without fail. First, someone attacks ASU and our imminent move to the FBS. Then you or Citdog crap out the same old **** about how "no one wants us" and "we will never move to the FBS" even though that assertion has been proven wrong almost daily on this forum. I hope you're actually a man when the move is announced and show up for your eat a truck load of crow. I have a feeling you'll somehow twist it into an "i told you so" though. That should be interesting.

apphole is one of those dudes who never gets any trim but thinks that EVERY lady WANTS him. that's why he's such a good fit for his school. app st is THAT GUY at the party......sitting in the corner with his buddies....... "hey yosef there goes the SEC"....."yeah she's pretty hot. TOTALLY wants me". yet after years of sitting in the SAME CORNER of this party he NEVER goes home with anyone.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the well wishes, but it's interesting to see how many non-ASU folks continue to chime in when the topic starts up.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM

How I wish I were in THC...I LOVE that place!

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 01:17 PM
apphole is one of those dudes who never gets any trim but thinks that EVERY lady WANTS him. that's why he's such a good fit for his school. app st is THAT GUY at the party......sitting in the corner with his buddies....... "hey yosef there goes the SEC"....."yeah she's pretty hot. TOTALLY wants me". yet after years of sitting in the SAME CORNER of this party he NEVER goes home with anyone.

Does that make Citadel the guy at the party that says he likes women, but secretly likes wants to go home with any of the dudes he's hanging out with? If only he weren't so shy...

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, but it's interesting to see how many non-ASU folks continue to chime in when the topic starts up.

perhaps if this topic wasn't brought up in just about EVERY THREAD having to do with the Southern Conference people wouldn't feel as they do.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 01:34 PM
perhaps if this topic wasn't brought up in just about EVERY THREAD having to do with the Southern Conference people wouldn't feel as they do.

I don't have a problem with people being sick of discussing it...I am too. You'll notice I don't speak about a potential move much on here. I'm just pointing out that often times it is non-ASU folks that egg the discussion on.

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Does that make Citadel the guy at the party that says he likes women, but secretly likes wants to go home with any of the dudes he's hanging out with? If only he weren't so shy...

i'm only gay for appaholic

Apphole
January 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM

If that's the case than your girl friend must be the Southern Conference.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM
i'm only gay for appaholic

No doubt. With the way you two would shotgun beers, I bet y'all had some good times back at the hotel with each other.

TheRevSFA
January 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM
No doubt. With the way you two would shotgun beers, I bet y'all had some good times back at the hotel with each other.

Schmeckle nuzzling?

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Schmeckle nuzzling?

That would be my guess...that and Appaholic listening to Citdog reminisce about becoming a man and being circumcised.

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM
If that's the case than your girl friend must be the Southern Conference.

INDEED she is. Since 1936.

citdog
January 8th, 2013, 04:10 PM

http://adscam.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bfa1853ef015391cb0581970b-800wi

http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/line_of_coke_1.jpg

Reign of Terrier
January 9th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Okay, I'm going to set up a defense for the perspective that "Wofford is down in 2013"

First off, yes it does suck that we lose Eric Breitenstein, but let's not forget that we had our best offense in school history when EB did not play a significant role/the FB had only a 1000 yard season as opposed to a couple 1500 and one 2000 season.

Also, it does suck to lose Woody which more than likely will happen, and I don't want to come off as someone who says it's not a big deal now that we lost him, but let's go on a little time-trip and get some things straight. Throughout the last 10 years, the one thing Wofford has been great at doing is stopping the run--no doubt about it. Our weakness? pass defense. The last few years, particularly this one we've been okay. We had one of the best in the nation I would argue. what's the difference? We had an actual corner coach as opposed to not having one until 2010 or so. I need not remind anyone that in 2008ish after the massacre in Boone it was apparent that not many people were please with NW's performance (though they didn't go as far as saying he should lose his job), but the one thing that has been apparent in the last few years is that the defense has been the weak link, with the exception of maybe this year. So with that said, does it suck to lose our DC of 22 years? certainly. but on the flip side, everyone else on the staff has like 8 years+ with the program and I don't see any reason for there to be much change in scheme, etc.

I think there's a good chance of improvement this year offensively, we lose 3 OL and EB but that's about it on offense. We retain pretty much every RB but EB and will have 4 healthy QBs, something that we didn't have down the stretch this year (and that may have contributed to our shortcomings offensively).

Defensively, we lose our 2 corners, but return a good enough nucleus of the rest of the defense to where I don't worry about it. the corners will be the key. If they preform on par with Wylie and Shelton this year, we'll do fine. The thing is, we don't know quite yet if the improvement at corner for the last few years (which IMO is the difference between our defense being stellar and mediocre) is due to good coaching in having a corner coach or because the corners were great--or both. So there's that to watch.

So overall, I think we retain a good nucleus to not be making sky-falling predictions. Our schedule shapes up okay and to our advantage. I'm pretty sure we don't have an NAIA team on the schedule, and we play PC and GW at home, so we could very well finish 7-4 and still make the playoffs. we also get GSU, App State (whom we play better at home), Elon (whom we've owned on a consistent basis especially when coaches not named Pete Lembo have coached against us), and Samford (whom we play better at home) at home, we play the citadel better at their place than our place, and western is definitely a winnable game and we clearly take Furman seriously.

So, in short I think it's a stretch to say Wofford will be significantly down. Remember after '08 they said we would have a hard time replacing Dane Romero, Andy Strickland, and Ben Widmyer, and perhaps we didn't do so well in '09, but barring injuries of the '09 level, I don't see us performing on such a low comparative level because we don't lose as much offensively as we did then and our defense is likely going to be better.

As for Chatty, you're still the hunter, not the hunted, you've never won a big game. Keep these facts in mind before you predict conference championships.

If I were to make a prediction now, I would say
1)GSU-It's honestly going to stay that way. I don't think their defense will be as good though. I think they'll win a lot of games in the neighborhood of 52-31 like scores
2)App State-could probably switch with Wofford, but satterfield offense is legit; Woody defense will have growing pains but will be an improvement on this year
3)Wofford-you'll see more balance offensively, not to mention consistency. If we are 80% of the defense we were this year, we will be a top 15 or 20 defense. If our offense evolves into an actual triple option, we'll be hard to beat as well. right now, 7-4 is probably a conservative prediction, but 8-3 seems to be likely as that's the most common record we've had as of late.
4)Furman-they play a kind of offense that when it's clicking, they're hard to beat. They don't necessarily put up 50 points a game, but like NDSU, they run the clock and do as much as they can. They have a great up-and-coming QB and the best returning running back in the conference. If they learn to play in the second half, they'll compete for a conference championship
5)Citadel- I actually think the Citadel ran the option the best of the three option teams. Had this year not been crazy for the playoff selection committee, i think they would have made it this year. They're a young team and will have a lot of depth defensively. Look out for them
6)Chatty-Cannot win the big games...nuff said
7)Sammy-haven't really researched, but they lose a lot correct?
8)Elon-Pete Lembo, thanks for leaving
9)Western Carolina-poor guys.

I think as opposed to years past, there's more like 2 echilons. GSU's defense will not be what it was in year one of the JM era, as they've lost the coordinator (old news, that was like 2 years ago) and some impact players in the front 7. Special teams are a clear issue as well. They'll score points though. With that said, and there being some areas of transition at Wofford and ASU, with the citadel, Furman, and Chatty being sleeping giants, I think my top 6 will have a lot of parity. The bottom 3, I just don't see being successful.

seantaylor
January 9th, 2013, 12:47 AM
I agree with that but switch Furman and Samford

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I just have to disagree. Britenstein was, I think, the best running back in the FCS (he did finish third in the voting behind another back with inferior numbers from a weaker conference). So, we have to begin with the presupposition that you cannot just replace that production. Even if he wasn't carrying the ball, the fact that he could carry the ball was enough to warrant a defense's primary focus. Just as crucial, Wofford graduates three offensive linemen, which in truth is probably the hardest thing to replace (experienced OL).

With Furman, I have no idea what to expect. The Paladins were not good last year, but they still played tight games against four playoff teams (Coastal, Wofford, GSU, and App State). You got the feeling that the passing playbook was extremely limited with a true freshman quarterback, and teams exploited that by taking away Jerodis Williams. I think we'll see a more expanded playbook in 2013 and a more comfortable quarterback playing behind five returning starters on the line.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2013, 05:23 AM
One final thought - I think the Citadel will seriously contend for the SoCon title. They return a lot of players off a team that was clearly good enough to win the SoCon but for going into hibernation a few weeks.

walliver
January 9th, 2013, 06:16 AM
The Citadel was quite schizoid last year. They beat ASU and GSU, and almost beat Wofford, but then had several inexplicable losses.

I like their playoff chances for 2013, but I think GSU is the overwhelming favorite.

Wofford will be affected majorly losing EB. The QB's and RB's underperformed last year - they will need to step up big time if we are to compete this year.

CID1990
January 9th, 2013, 07:53 AM

Is that an offer, Mountaineer?

CID1990
January 9th, 2013, 07:57 AM
The faithful down in Charleston know we will be well improved over last year, but our weakness will be the playcalling from the sidelines, which I largely blame for our midseason slump in 2012. If we can avoid getting stuck on stupid we should be in good shape in 2013.

PhoenixSupreme
January 9th, 2013, 08:07 AM
My very bold prediction (since Elon hasn't been mentioned yet).

Elon will play 11 games of football next season, and do something! *gasp*

AppAlum2003
January 9th, 2013, 08:16 AM
The faithful down in Charleston know we will be well improved over last year, but our weakness will be the playcalling from the sidelines, which I largely blame for our midseason slump in 2012. If we can avoid getting stuck on stupid we should be in good shape in 2013.

How complicated can playcalling be in the TO? The QB puts his hands under the centers nuts and then either runs with it or gives it to one of 38 running backs. The runner just has to slide around the chop-blocked DL laying on the ground.

CID1990
January 9th, 2013, 08:49 AM
How complicated can playcalling be in the TO? The QB puts his hands under the centers nuts and then either runs with it or gives it to one of 38 running backs. The runner just has to slide around the chop-blocked DL laying on the ground.

Well for starters, when a team running the "bear" defense gives you the pass all day and you insist instead on running up the middle into the 9 guys in the box?

How's that?

ASUMountaineer
January 9th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Is that an offer, Mountaineer?

Only to you, not all cadets/bellhops.

ASUMountaineer
January 9th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Well for starters, when a team running the "bear" defense gives you the pass all day and you insist instead on running up the middle into the 9 guys in the box?

How's that?

Wait, there's passing in the TO?!?

ElCid
January 9th, 2013, 11:51 AM

I knew we were in trouble during the Chatt game when my wife started to correctly call what plays were going to be run. If she could do it, I think our opponent's defense could figure it out.

SpeedkingATL
January 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I knew we were in trouble during the Chatt game when my wife started to correctly call what plays were going to be run. If she could do it, I think our opponent's defense could figure it out.

I remember us doing the same thing at Furman in 2011. Every first down it was Cadet between center and guard with Fuman having 9 in the box. I had never seen a "power I" run from the spread formation, and no, it didn't work.

walliver
January 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM

There is also a lot of though put into whether to run right or left. Although a coin flip would be effective and completely unpredictable by the defense, most OC's overthink this. The OC also has to keep up with which of the 38 halfbacks is in the game.

CID1990
January 9th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Wait, there's passing in the TO?!?

I do believe you saw a little taste of it at KBH this past season!

asumike83
January 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM

I don't remember much of anything besides El Cid players scoring touchdowns by running through holes they could have moonwalked through.

ASU_Fanatic
January 9th, 2013, 07:13 PM
App will only lose one game all year and that's gonna be to UGA

DoWe
January 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM

Considering you have (more or less) only 9 months left to gloat I will congratulate you now.

SU DOG
January 9th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I don't predict about Samford winning the SoCon, or even who we will beat. I do want to say this about our QB situation, however. Andy Summerlin will most likely be our starting QB again this year. Unless something unexpected happens, he will be granted one more year of eligibility, and did not even participate as a Sr. on Senior Day. It appears to be only a formality. As for losing a lot, Samford has most of the playmakers returning, and we expect to be stronger this year than last. As for our progress in the SoCon, this past season was our best, and there is no reason to expect our rise not to continue.

Eagle22
January 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I don't predict about Samford winning the SoCon, or even who we will beat. I do want to say this about our QB situation, however. Andy Summerlin will most likely be our starting QB again this year. Unless something unexpected happens, he will be granted one more year of eligibility, and did not even participate as a Sr. on Senior Day. It appears to be only a formality. As for losing a lot, Samford has most of the playmakers returning, and we expect to be stronger this year than last. As for our progress in the SoCon, this past season was our best, and there is no reason to expect our rise not to continue.

Wasn't aware of that, for some reason I thought Summerlin was a senior. That would bode well for Samford.

ASUMountaineer
January 10th, 2013, 07:23 AM

What is KBH?

chattownmocs
January 10th, 2013, 07:30 AM
What is KBH?

Kidd Brewer High

AppChicago
January 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Kidd Brewer High

Making Finley KBH-West?

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 10th, 2013, 09:42 AM
1) GSU won't lose any games because of multiple missed field goals under 35 yards.
2) Defense will be about the same. Getting Josh Rowe back next year could offset the losses on the DL.
3) If Dominique Swope remains academically eligible we will be scoring points.

CID1990
January 10th, 2013, 10:01 AM
What is KBH?

I don't know. My iPhone decided it should be spelt that way.

blueballs
January 10th, 2013, 10:39 AM
1) GSU won't lose any games because of multiple missed field goals under 35 yards.
2) Defense will be about the same. Getting Josh Rowe back next year could offset the losses on the DL.
3) If Dominique Swope remains academically eligible we will be scoring points.

Carlos Cave should be healthy next year too which will help.

GSU had excellent depth along the defensive front this year and the same will be true next year. What they will miss is the playmaking ability of Russell and DuBose. Somebody has to step up and fill those roles.

GSU is going to be just plain nasty offensively next year. 9 starters come back and only a couple of back-ups graduated. They redshirted some real talent offensively this past year too. GSU's o-line was in a constant state of flux in 2012 due to injuries but that will be a strength- possibly THE strength- of the team in 2013.

IMO replacing the two graduating safeties and finding a reliable placekicker will be the biggest issues facing GSU going into 2013. If they are able to fill those holes- and they are BIG holes- 2013 will be fun in the 'boro and GSU will be a NC contender again.

Apphole
January 10th, 2013, 12:46 PM
IMO replacing the two graduating safeties and finding a reliable placekicker will be the biggest issues facing GSU going into 2013. If they are able to fill those holes- and they are BIG holes- 2013 will be fun in the 'boro and GSU will be a NC contender again.

That bodes well for you IMO. I can't imagine your secondary or kicking game being any worse than this past season. You will need a solid DB corps to keep ASU from dropping 30+ points this coming year. That goes for any team.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 10th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I think the lack of depth at the LB position was a much bigger problem than many realized. Arguably the two best LBs we had were gone and aside from Stevenson and true freshman Patrick Flowe there wasn't a whole lot.

PaladinFan
January 10th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I think the lack of depth at the LB position was a much bigger problem than many realized. Arguably the two best LBs we had were gone and aside from Stevenson and true freshman Patrick Flowe there wasn't a whole lot.

Georgia Southern scored 35 points per game. You can have a pretty mediocre defense if you are going to do that. It may not get you to a championship, but it will probably ensure you'll be in the conversation.

ASUMountaineer
January 10th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Kidd Brewer High

So, Chatty can't even beat a HS team? Sad man, sad. Chattanooga Football: the joke that keeps on giving.

ASUMountaineer
January 10th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I don't know. My iPhone decided it should be spelt that way.

xlolx

EKU-n-GSU
January 10th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Carlos Cave should be healthy next year too which will help.

GSU had excellent depth along the defensive front this year and the same will be true next year. What they will miss is the playmaking ability of Russell and DuBose. Somebody has to step up and fill those roles.

GSU is going to be just plain nasty offensively next year. 9 starters come back and only a couple of back-ups graduated. They redshirted some real talent offensively this past year too. GSU's o-line was in a constant state of flux in 2012 due to injuries but that will be a strength- possibly THE strength- of the team in 2013.

I like Carlos Cave and Josh Rowe anchoring our LB, and I'd like to see Flowe and Dobson take a look at the vacated safety positions. Both are sized right, can bring the wood, and are fast enough to make plays. I especially like the QB transition to S opportunity for Dobson, as who better to survey the pass routes than an ex-QB turned S.

seantaylor
January 11th, 2013, 01:47 AM
I like Carlos Cave and Josh Rowe anchoring our LB, and I'd like to see Flowe and Dobson take a look at the vacated safety positions. Both are sized right, can bring the wood, and are fast enough to make plays. I especially like the QB transition to S opportunity for Dobson, as who better to survey the pass routes than an ex-QB turned S.

I agree about Dobson. He could be an AA at safety. Guy is physical and fast. I would leave Flowe at LB. He has some John Mohring in him, and an offseason under Melton could result in some huge gains. I would also think about moving Jimmy Dean to LB. He was a stud safety in high school, and he is already LB size.