PDA

View Full Version : It's all been said by now... but one thing

MplsBison
January 6th, 2013, 11:22 AM
First of all - congrats to both teams!!!!

Sam Houston!! Well done!!

I just wanted to highlight one thing that SHSU head coach Fritz said about NDSU's defense:

“This is the best defense we’ve played this season and I’m comparing that with (Texas) A&M and Baylor,” said Bearkats head coach Willie Fritz, referring to the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision teams his team played in the regular season.

Sorry, I just find that hilarious because early in the game the ESPN color guy said something like "and there you can see the speed of Sam Houston is just too much for the NDSU defense".

Honest to goodness I don't want smack. I won't reply to any message that is looking to start a flame war.

Just think it's hilarious that "southern speed" was supposed to rule the day and once again, northern strength prevailed.

I can't wait for the day when the Big Ten finally figures this out and stops trying to copy SEC teams. They'll start winning again. A touchdown still counts for 6 points regardless how fast you're running when you cross the goal line!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

eaglewraith
January 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Sorry, I just find that hilarious because early in the game the ESPN color guy said something like "and there you can see the speed of Sam Houston is just too much for the NDSU defense".

I agreed with the announcers at that point because SHSU was doing a good job of using their matchups in the passing game to their advantage. And yes I think there was more speed in their WR corps than the NDSU secondary. However, SHSU was bound and determined to run it, and there they gave up any speed advantage they had. They ran the option at the speed of paint drying.

SHSU made the same mistake we did against NDSU last year and being too determined to run the ball. We had great matchups if we had passed, and so did they. They were just unable to get the rushing attack going, cause man NDSU is quick laterally.

Laker
January 6th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I honestly thought when I saw the thread that the question was going to be- "After two straight national titles, when is NDSU moving up?"

ursus arctos horribilis
January 6th, 2013, 02:39 PM
MPLS, I totally agree. It's just dumb stuff that gets said by some people over and over as if they seee something we all don't.

There were points in that game and in any game where one team can have a play or several plays cherry picked and you could point to it and say "look at that speed" but if you look at the play it is usually just that a defender, or several defenders did not recognize what they should be doing in time to seal off something.

You line the top teams up position by position and you time them all out and there isn't gonna be some noticeable difference in "team speed".

DFW HOYA
January 6th, 2013, 02:49 PM
A touchdown still counts for 6 points regardless how fast you're running when you cross the goal line!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

For their sake, I sure hope so, but then again, I always thought a safety was worth two points.

Laker
January 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM
For their sake, I sure hope so, but then again, I always thought a safety was worth two points.

xnodx I had never seen that play before either. Wondered what the ruling was going to be.

MplsBison
January 6th, 2013, 04:00 PM
MPLS, I totally agree. It's just dumb stuff that gets said by some people over and over as if they seee something we all don't.

There were points in that game and in any game where one team can have a play or several plays cherry picked and you could point to it and say "look at that speed" but if you look at the play it is usually just that a defender, or several defenders did not recognize what they should be doing in time to seal off something.

You line the top teams up position by position and you time them all out and there isn't gonna be some noticeable difference in "team speed".

Yep. Damn well said.

MplsBison
January 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I agreed with the announcers at that point because SHSU was doing a good job of using their matchups in the passing game to their advantage. And yes I think there was more speed in their WR corps than the NDSU secondary. However, SHSU was bound and determined to run it, and there they gave up any speed advantage they had. They ran the option at the speed of paint drying.

SHSU made the same mistake we did against NDSU last year and being too determined to run the ball. We had great matchups if we had passed, and so did they. They were just unable to get the rushing attack going, cause man NDSU is quick laterally.

See ursus' post. He is correct. You are wrong.

Only time NDSU defense got burned was when a defended was just plain caught out of position. Not because NDSU's defenders didn't have the speed to run with SHSU's guys. That was never the case, obviously.

heath
January 6th, 2013, 04:36 PM
one of the most self serving and pathetic threads of all! Get over yourselves, but one thing...........MOVE UP OR SHUT UPxsalutex Great teams don't last forever and most can't wait for the next teams up. Great season NDSU but please...................xblahx

Gil Dobie
January 6th, 2013, 06:16 PM
one of the most self serving and pathetic threads of all! Get over yourselves, but one thing...........MOVE UP OR SHUT UPxsalutex Great teams don't last forever and most can't wait for the next teams up. Great season NDSU but please...................xblahx

I don't think Mpls is more than 1 person ;)

UNH Fanboi
January 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Some people see a team with more black players and just assume they are faster.

citdog
January 6th, 2013, 08:12 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/091/284/eso_es_racista.gif?1294075992

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM

GD Yankees!

citdog
January 6th, 2013, 08:29 PM
GD Yankees!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRyIMqXA_o8

chattownmocs
January 6th, 2013, 08:36 PM
The south has the best talent across the board. Not just speed. The biggest difference is actually d-line talent. North Dakota state is getting some of the best talent from their region. Sam Houston state is getting largely the leftovers from the state of Texas. If Sam Houston state played Texas A&M with a national championship on the line his opinion would be far different.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 6th, 2013, 08:44 PM
It wasnt northern strength it was northern toughness.......get it right. We all know who lays down when they get hit hard and things dont go their way.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2013, 08:52 PM
It wasnt northern strength it was northern toughness.......get it right. We all know who lays down when they get hit hard and things dont go their way.

And Citdog, there's a big difference between Yankees and Northerners. Yankees fought against your great-great-grandpappy. Northerners didn't even bother with the skirmish out east.

Sidebar: Alpha, after Ewwww's loss to Sam, the Beagle disappeared...you think he'll show up next Thanksgiving?

Tubakat2014
January 6th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Just think it's hilarious that "southern speed" was supposed to rule the day and once again, northern strength prevailed.

People that are adamant about players from the South being faster than players from the North are somewhat misguided. Great running backs from Texas and great running backs from Minnesota will look pretty similar. It's the same game with the same requirements, after all. There's just more great running backs in Texas than there are in Minnesota.

Even so, all FCS teams are limited to 63 full scholarships. Teams may choose to recruit certain areas more heavily than others but in the end, every coach is looking for the best possible players for their system, regardless of where they were born and raised. So I don't buy into this "southern speed" or "northern toughness" thing as much as some people do. If you're playing Division I football, you're good at what you do. And that's the bottom line.

seantaylor
January 7th, 2013, 12:10 AM
The south has the best talent across the board. Not just speed. [/B[B]]The biggest difference is actually d-line talent. North Dakota state is getting some of the best talent from their region. Sam Houston state is getting largely the leftovers from the state of Texas. If Sam Houston state played Texas A&M with a national championship on the line his opinion would be far different.

That is something that is just spit out by ESPN. Has no basis in reality.

344Johnson
January 7th, 2013, 12:30 AM
The south has the best talent across the board. Not just speed. The biggest difference is actually d-line talent. North Dakota state is getting some of the best talent from their region. Sam Houston state is getting largely the leftovers from the state of Texas. If Sam Houston state played Texas A&M with a national championship on the line his opinion would be far different.

Nothing is stopping Sam from recruiting elsewhere if that is the problem. NDSU gets our recruits from ND, SD, Nebraska, Minnesota, Arizona, Wisconsin, etc. There is plenty of 'leftover' talent in Texas for Sam.

This whole southern speed thing is a load of crap. If someone tries to tell me that the average kid in Texas is any faster than the average kid in Vermont is a load of crap.

cbarrier90
January 7th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Nothing is stopping Sam from recruiting elsewhere if that is the problem. NDSU gets our recruits from ND, SD, Nebraska, Minnesota, Arizona, Wisconsin, etc. There is plenty of 'leftover' talent in Texas for Sam.

This whole southern speed thing is a load of crap. If someone tries to tell me that the average kid in Texas is any faster than the average kid in Vermont is a load of crap.

Quantity, not quality, is the issue.

In order to find FCS quality talent, teams like NDSU have to look across the entire Midwest, whereas teams like SHSU only need to look in their backyard.

The South is a more fertile recruiting ground when it comes to college football talent, but that doesn't make the talent that's there any better. A 4.3 40 is a 4.3 40, whether it's on a kid from MN or a kid from TX.

eaglewraith
January 7th, 2013, 07:28 AM
See ursus' post. He is correct. You are wrong.

Only time NDSU defense got burned was when a defended was just plain caught out of position. Not because NDSU's defenders didn't have the speed to run with SHSU's guys. That was never the case, obviously.

They were utilizing their speed to get open in the matchups they were attacking in the secondary. What I'm saying is absolutely correct. At no point have I said that SHSU WR's ran away from the NDSU secondary.

BISON Thunder
January 7th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Quantity, not quality, is the issue.

In order to find FCS quality talent, teams like NDSU have to look across the entire Midwest, whereas teams like SHSU only need to look in their backyard.

The South is a more fertile recruiting ground when it comes to college football talent, but that doesn't make the talent that's there any better. A 4.3 40 is a 4.3 40, whether it's on a kid from MN or a kid from TX.

^^This is truth^^...Texas probably has more of everything (well, with the exception of beer maybe) than North Dakota. But back to the original point made initiating this thread, speed is a great quality...but not THE quality needed to be a winner in most team athletics. In fact, depending on the sport...maybe not even in the top three or four. I would take a young man with quickness (preferrably strong...more preferrably strong and big...more, more preferrably strong, big, and tough) who understands pursuit, position, angles, etc.

MplsBison
January 7th, 2013, 08:23 AM
They were utilizing their speed to get open in the matchups they were attacking in the secondary. What I'm saying is absolutely correct. At no point have I said that SHSU WR's ran away from the NDSU secondary.

You were wrong and are still wrong.

Only time they got open was when NDSU's defenders were out of place, not because they got burned by "southern speed". NDSU's secondary is as fast as SHSU's skill players.

That's the obvious fact. Scoreboard.

MplsBison
January 7th, 2013, 08:24 AM
^^This is truth^^...Texas probably has more of everything (well, with the exception of beer maybe) than North Dakota. But back to the original point made initiating this thread, speed is a great quality...but not THE quality needed to be a winner in most team athletics. In fact, depending on the sport...maybe not even in the top three or four. I would take a young man with quickness (preferrably strong...more preferrably strong and big...more, more preferrably strong, big, and tough) who understands pursuit, position, angles, etc.

Well said.

Give me that big, strong, tough as nails midwestern farm boy over these flashy little scat back, basketball players so treasured down south.

In football, you have two options: 1) run around someone or 2) RUN OVER THEM! xnodx

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Well said.

Give me that big, strong, tough as nails midwestern farm boy over these flashy little scat back, basketball players so treasured down south.

In football, you have two options: 1) run around someone or 2) RUN OVER THEM! xnodx

I'll give you the best guys from the midwest and I roll you. Midwestern football is not more physical, It isn't faster, it isn't any of those things. It is vastly inferior in basically every aspect. The only area where they would even be competitve is LB and O-line.

Laker
January 7th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I'll give you the best guys from the midwest and I roll you. Midwestern football is not more physical, It isn't faster, it isn't any of those things. It is vastly inferior in basically every aspect. The only area where they would even be competitve is LB and O-line.

And this is why a vastly inferior team has won the national title the last two years?

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 08:59 AM
And this is why a vastly inferior team has won the national title the last two years?

The SEC has won the BCS national title 6 straight years, It will be 7 by this time tomorrow. North Dakota State is getting some of the best guys from their entire region. Sam Houston State is not getting some of the best guys from Texas. This argument is absurd. The best high school talent region wise is the southeast by a wide margin. Georgia Southern who played you down to the wire would be thrilled to get 1 or 2 top 100 players from the state of Georgia. Most of the guys they get are not even the best player on their high school team.

North Dakota State is able to get some of the best guys from their region because of the lack of big time college football programs up there. That is there advantage.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 09:02 AM
The SEC has won the BCS national title 6 straight years, It will be 7 by this time tomorrow. North Dakota State is getting some of the best guys from their entire region. Sam Houston State is not getting some of the best guys from Texas. This argument is absurd. The best high school talent region wise is the southeast by a wide margin. Georgia Southern who played you down to the wire would be thrilled to get 1 or 2 top 100 players from the state of Georgia. Most of the guys they get are not even the best player on their high school team.

But Sam Houston got through the playoffs against teams who do get the best from their regions. It's not like Sam Houston was picked out of a hat to be in the NC game.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 09:14 AM
But Sam Houston got through the playoffs against teams who do get the best from their regions. It's not like Sam Houston was picked out of a hat to be in the NC game.

No, you and the Montana schools are the only ones who do. FBS recruiters and scouts don't even go to places like the Dakota and Montanas to scout talent. Maybe they should because I believe that you and Montana's success over the past few years have proven that these places have players that are worthy of playing big time college football. That being said, your states are still the bottom of the barrel in the entire country when it comes to producing great football players. Your advantage is that you are the big dog football programs in your respective state's and you are able to pick and choose from the untapped talent.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 09:24 AM
No, you and the Montana schools are the only ones who do. FBS recruiters and scouts don't even go to places like the Dakota and Montanas to scout talent. Maybe they should because I believe that you and Montana's success over the past few years have proven that these places have players that are worthy of playing big time college football. That being said, your states are still the bottom of the barrel in the entire country when it comes to producing great football players. Your advantage is that you are the big dog football programs in your respective state's and you are able to pick and choose from the untapped talent.

This is a fascinating argument given your usual SoCon bluster. When did this start? Over the last 20 years, only 5 Champions have been from those areas , counting EWU.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM
This is a fascinating argument given your usual SoCon bluster. When did this start? Over the last 20 years, only 5 Champions have been from those areas , counting EWU.

I don't have any SOCON bluster. I'm not a fan of a conference at any level. It is a fluid situation when it comes to high school talent. These areas have likely elevated themselves in recent years. 5 years ago Florida, Texas and California were miles ahead of their nearest competitor when ti came to producing talent. Now Georgia and Ohio are in hot pursuit. Some think places like Louisiana and Mississippi produce as good of talent as anyone they just have less population and high school football players to draw from. Some also say that the best High School football is played in Georgia and Florida. Texas and California produce boatloads of talent but not near Florida on a per capita basis.

eaglewraith
January 7th, 2013, 10:02 AM
You were wrong and are still wrong.

Only time they got open was when NDSU's defenders were out of place, not because they got burned by "southern speed". NDSU's secondary is as fast as SHSU's skill players.

That's the obvious fact. Scoreboard.

Where did I mention "Southern speed?" I said they had an advantage in the matchups against the secondary. Also in my original post I gave credit to how fast NDSU is moving laterally to shut down SHSU's run game....and also mentioned that SHSU was slow running the ball. They were using the advantage they had early, and then went away from it in the determination to run the ball. The game wasn't as close as it was at the half just because NDSU was out of position. Unless you're saying the secondary had no idea what it was doing the entire first half.

I'm not discounting NDSU at all. Get over yourself.

BisonBacker
January 7th, 2013, 10:15 AM

North Dakota State is able to get some of the best guys from their region because of the lack of big time college football programs up there. That is there advantage.

Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Iowa State all would like to talk to you about Big Time football.

Bisonoline
January 7th, 2013, 10:48 AM
First of all - congrats to both teams!!!!

Sam Houston!! Well done!!

I just wanted to highlight one thing that SHSU head coach Fritz said about NDSU's defense:

Honest to goodness I don't want smack. I won't reply to any message that is looking to start a flame war.

I can't wait for the day when the Big Ten finally figures this out and stops trying to copy SEC teams. They'll start winning again. A touchdown still counts for 6 points regardless how fast you're running when you cross the goal line!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

I actually have to agree. We got home last night from the game and watched the recording. The announcers were atrocious IMO. And that comment about there speed made both of us bust out laughing. Sometime the announcers need to STFU because more talk isnt better. I dont think Ive heard more sound bite cliches than I heard in that game.

It usually takes the Bison a few series of plays to adjust to a teams speed. Then they are fine.
At the end of the the game the SHSU players were getting seal clubbed. They were tired. They were slow getting up off the field etc. You could also see it at the end of the first half also.

Vitojr130
January 7th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Southern speed and toughness, or is it something else?

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2012/08/16/most-and-least-obese-us-states

Most Obese US States:
1. Mississippi 34.9%
2. Louisiana 33.4%
3. West Virginia 32.4%
4. Alabama 32.0%
5. Michigan 31.3%
6. Oklahoma 31.1%
7. Arkansas 30.9%
8. Indiana 30.8%
8. South Carolina 30.8%
10. Kentucky 30.4%
10. Texas 30.4%

Well, if the pants... er shoe... fits...

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2012/08/16/most-and-least-obese-us-states

Most Obese US States:
1. Mississippi 34.9%
2. Louisiana 33.4%
3. West Virginia 32.4%
4. Alabama 32.0%
5. Michigan 31.3%
6. Oklahoma 31.1%
7. Arkansas 30.9%
8. Indiana 30.8%
8. South Carolina 30.8%
10. Kentucky 30.4%
10. Texas 30.4%

Well, they do love their butter.

http://newutrition.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/tc_paula_deen_butter_funny.jpg

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Well, they do love their butter.

http://newutrition.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/tc_paula_deen_butter_funny.jpg

OBVIOUSLY some yankee made that as Y'ALL is spelled wrong.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Most Obese US States:
1. Mississippi 34.9%
2. Louisiana 33.4%
3. West Virginia 32.4%
4. Alabama 32.0%
5. Michigan 31.3%
6. Oklahoma 31.1%
7. Arkansas 30.9%
8. Indiana 30.8%
8. South Carolina 30.8%
10. Kentucky 30.4%
10. Texas 30.4%

Every state is Obese, the difference between the most Obese and the least obese is 14 percent. I really don't care anyway. I'm not really a "regionalist", just stating the obvious when it comes to football.

Vitojr130
January 7th, 2013, 11:46 AM
People that are adamant about players from the South being faster than players from the North are somewhat misguided. Great running backs from Texas and great running backs from Minnesota will look pretty similar. It's the same game with the same requirements, after all. There's just more great running backs in Texas than there are in Minnesota.

Even so, all FCS teams are limited to 63 full scholarships. Teams may choose to recruit certain areas more heavily than others but in the end, every coach is looking for the best possible players for their system, regardless of where they were born and raised. So I don't buy into this "southern speed" or "northern toughness" thing as much as some people do. If you're playing Division I football, you're good at what you do. And that's the bottom line.

Thank you! Someone gets it! SHSU may have had more competition for recruiting, but the state of Texas is FAR (and this is an understatement) larger population-wise than the state of North Dakota.

Population:
Texas: 25,674,681
North Dakota: 683,932

# of D1 schools:
Texas: 15
North Dakota: 2

Population/D1 School ratio:
Texas: 1.71 Million
North Dakota: 0.34 Million

No one can make a reasonable argument that a school in Texas has a disadvantage over a school in North Dakota...

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thank you! Someone gets it! SHSU may have had more competition for recruiting, but the state of Texas is FAR (and this is an understatement) larger population-wise than the state of North Dakota.

Population:
Texas: 25,674,681
North Dakota: 683,932

# of D1 schools:
Texas: 15
North Dakota: 2

Population/D1 School ratio:
Texas: 1.71 Million
North Dakota: 0.34 Million

No one can make a reasonable argument that a school in Texas has a disadvantage over a school in North Dakota...

Except for the fact that teams from Texas aren't the only ones recruiting Texas. The whole country is recruiting Texas. You don't have an advantage over them because your talent is better as has been discussed. You have an advantage because you are the only ones who have figured out there there are some guys that can play at a high level.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
This is ridiculous. NDSU recruits mainly in Minnesota and Wisconsin. There happen to be a few big schools in that area who are probably 1st or 2nd choices for everybody.

344Johnson
January 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Except for the fact that teams from Texas aren't the only ones recruiting Texas. The whole country is recruiting Texas. You don't have an advantage over them because your talent is better as has been discussed. You have an advantage because you are the only ones who have figured out there there are some guys that can play at a high level.

NDSU and UND are not the only ones recruiting North Dakota. Some of the top guys go to FBS schools.

MplsBison
January 7th, 2013, 12:10 PM

That of course is wrong.

There have been a few kids in the past 10 years to come out of ND and SD going to Big Ten and Big XII schools. I expect the same in Montana going to PAC 12 schools.

Off the top of my head would be Greg Eslinger from Bismarck starting as a true freshman at Minnesota and I'm certain there was one out in western ND not too long ago that went to Nebraska. EDIT** it is Brent Qvale from Williston. Still at Nebraska.

Bisonoline
January 7th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Absolutely the stupidest thing Ive seen you post. And that takes some doing.

MplsBison
January 7th, 2013, 12:15 PM
This is ridiculous. NDSU recruits mainly in Minnesota and Wisconsin. There happen to be a few big schools in that area who are probably 1st or 2nd choices for everybody.

As sad as it is, I would also have to believe that any guy on NDSU's roster this year from the twin cities (Grant Olson, Marcus Williams, Billy Turner, John Crockett, etc.) would've taken a scholarship to the Gophers if they had been smart enough to offer. It's just the reality.

Funny thing about Billy Turner, the Gophers offered a different player from his same school district (Jimmy Gjere). That kid was a little bit taller, little bit more hype, more stars, etc. You get the idea. So he got the scholarship. But now Gjere no longer plays due to injuries.

Just another example of NDSU benefit from the Gophers making the wrong choice.

semobison
January 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM
That of course is wrong.

There have been a few kids in the past 10 years to come out of ND and SD going to Big Ten and Big XII schools. I expect the same in Montana going to PAC 12 schools.

Off the top of my head would be Greg Eslinger from Bismarck starting as a true freshman at Minnesota and I'm certain there was one out in western ND not too long ago that went to Nebraska. EDIT** it is Brent Qvale from Williston. Still at Nebraska.

Quale is starting OT for Nebraska. Its a numbers game and thats it. Id say any given year ND has 1-3 players go FBS. To say that FBS doesnt recruit ND or MT is just stupid. If your good enough, they will find you and then recruit you! Hell, I coached a ND kid who ended up playing in the Big 10!

MplsBison
January 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM
He's going to come back and say all we have is linemen and linebackers. No speed.

Yep, must be why SHSU was able to run right by NDSU's defenders and score all those touchdowns. xnodx

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Quale is starting OT for Nebraska. Its a numbers game and thats it. Id say any given year ND has 1-3 players go FBS. To say that FBS doesnt recruit ND or MT is just stupid. If your good enough, they will find you and then recruit you! Hell, I coached a ND kid who ended up playing in the Big 10!

I'm dating myself a little but when I went to Fargo South many years ago, Neil Fredenburg and Justin Conzemius went to Minnesota and Chris Berg went to Stanford. Even Dave Brynteson went to Air Force. When you only have a few talented kids, they get snapped up pretty quickly.

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I'm dating myself a little.

http://blog.galvintan.com/wp-images/shuffling/day_sun.jpg

Sammy94
January 7th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Id say any given year ND has 1-3 players go FBS.

The whole state? I know many small high schools that send that many. Maybe its not the atheltic aspect of this but the geography. When a state has many FBS options to one that has none I could see why kids go to NDSU.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Wow 1-3 players. That proves that you are one of the worst states in the country for recruiting. There is a school in Georgia called Stephenson that sent 11 to the FBS in 2012 alone.

So basically y'alls argument is that A) the FBS does scout and recruit North Dakota B) They like 1-3 players per year C) Y'all have great talent.

I'd try to give you credit by saying you probably were a little underrated but still one of the worst.

BISON Thunder
January 7th, 2013, 12:50 PM
http://blog.galvintan.com/wp-images/shuffling/day_sun.jpg

I don't care...that is funny!!

Walkon79
January 7th, 2013, 12:51 PM

Yeah, but there are only about a dozen in the North Dakota and another dozen in Montana that can even play D1 in any given recruiting class. I can't speak for North Dakota, but we will often lose our best in-state recruit to the likes of Boise, Nevada or Colorado. The argument that the northern tier states have a recruiting advantage is, well, CRAZY!

BISON Thunder
January 7th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I'm dating myself a little but when I went to Fargo South many years ago, Neil Fredenburg and Justin Conzemius went to Minnesota and Chris Berg went to Stanford. Even Dave Brynteson went to Air Force. When you only have a few talented kids, they get snapped up pretty quickly.

Didn't another kid from South play football at Dartmouth from around that vintage?

BEAR
January 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Y'all got it wrong... xlolx obesity in the south is directly influenced by our fat women. Tray tables is what we call 'em here. How many fat football players, besides O-linemen, have you seen in ANY region of the United States? Fat states doesn't translate to fat football teams. When I think of big o-lines, I think of Wisconsin or Nebraska..corn-fed mofos...not southern teams besides maybe Alabama. xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Wow 1-3 players. That proves that you are one of the worst states in the country for recruiting. There is a school in Georgia called Stephenson that sent 11 to the FBS in 2012 alone.

So basically y'alls argument is that A) the FBS does scout and recruit North Dakota B) They like 1-3 players per year C) Y'all have great talent.

I'd try to give you credit by saying you probably were a little underrated but still one of the worst.

7 months of trolling is going to wear you out. I hope you take the summer off.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but there are only about a dozen in the North Dakota and another dozen in Montana that can even play D1 in any given recruiting class. I can't speak for North Dakota, but we will often lose our best in-state recruit to the likes of Boise, Nevada or Colorado. The argument that the northern tier states have a recruiting advantage is, well, CRAZY!

That isn't the argument. AN advantage is the fact that you have more guys up there that can play than people realize. NOT, that you have better talent. Also that you get recruits that are much higher on the pecking order in your states than other teams do.

semobison
January 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM
That isn't the argument. AN advantage is the fact that you have more guys up there that can play than people realize. NOT, that you have better talent. Also that you get recruits that are much higher on the pecking order in your states than other teams do.

Its not our fault that you lose recruits! Thats the only arguement here! Get YOUR **** together and maybe you can make the playoffs one day. Not our problem that we have a few kids that would rather play at NDSU than Minnesota!!

BISON Thunder
January 7th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I would like a better description of where exactly the line is for this hotbed of talent. Guessing it probably goes from Boston, over to Cleveland then Chicago, down to Oklahoma City, on to Salt Lake City and up to Seattle. Everyone north of this has the advantage. Does this advantage transcend to coaching too?

Bison56
January 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
The whole state? I know many small high schools that send that many. Maybe its not the atheltic aspect of this but the geography. When a state has many FBS options to one that has none I could see why kids go to NDSU.

When your states (ND) population is the same as 20 cities in another state. It makes sence.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Forget that NDSU has probably the best coaching staff outside of the BCS. Almost every game "outcoached" is used.

DFW HOYA
January 7th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Or put another way...more people live in Collin County, TX (as in Frisco, TX, site of the championship game) than the entire state of North Dakota.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Forget that NDSU has probably the best coaching staff outside of the BCS. Almost every game "outcoached" is used.

Hold on. I thought the point of this thread was to say that the North is better than the south in football. You mean the coaching is just better not that the players are better?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hold on. I thought the point of this thread was to say that the North is better than the south in football. You mean the coaching is just better not that the players are better?

Honestly once you get into a thread, the OP tends to lose a lot of meaning.

The thread started by discussing southern speed. The only southern speed I ever see is how fast you guys all flap your gums over southern speed. You can run as fast as you want but you better know that the brick wall in front of you doesn't care how fast you are coming towards it.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Honestly once you get into a thread, the OP tends to lose a lot of meaning.

The thread started by discussing southern speed. The only southern speed I ever see is how fast you guys all flap your gums over southern speed. You can run as fast as you want but you better know that the brick wall in front of you doesn't care how fast you are coming towards it.

Again....All of this may be true for FCS football...but don't get it twisted. The south is faster, more athletic, and more physical when it comes to college football as a whole.

semobison
January 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Again....All of this may be true for FCS football...but don't get it twisted. The south is faster, more athletic, and more physical when it comes to college football as a whole.

I usually try to stay out of pissing matches with idiots but the MVFC is one of if not the most physical conference in FCS. NDSU beat Sammy because they were more physical. Maybe you should quit with all this and email your teams coach and let him know your unhappy with their recruiting. Thats probably the number one reason you havn't played a game in a month and a half!

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Then go bitch on the "College Football as a Whole" discussion board. The past two years have proven 2 things: NDSU has a strong program and Chatty is a sub-par SoCon team that can't get close to the playoffs.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Why in the world do I care about college football as a whole?

Hammerhead
January 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM
High school teams in North Dakota also play fewer games each year. My old high school lost in the state semifinals and played a total of 11 games. Allen, Tx., High also lost in their semifinals and played 15 games. Most of that is due only having an 8-team playoff in North Dakota.

MplsBison
January 7th, 2013, 02:16 PM

There you go. Let him have his "victory". IE, "The south must be better because the SEC wins every year".

But in I-AA, we've basically proven that the idea of "southern speed" don't mean ____.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2013, 02:54 PM
If you are going to make an argument for one region being stronger than other you might want to consider the top teams and players from those regions as well. Otherwise the argument is very very stupid.

Bison56
January 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM
If you are going to make an argument for one region being stronger than other you might want to consider the top teams and players from those regions as well. Otherwise the argument is very very stupid.

You said it.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Why in the world do I care about college football as a whole?

Sort of what I was wondering as well. When we have these arguments with southern folk, not necessarily chattown either because I don't remember him being one of these big "Southern Speed is gonna kill ya!" guys, we are normally talking about FCS teams and what one Southern FCS team is bringing to the table against a BSC or an MVFC opponent.

I've heard it mostly from McNeese, Sam, and even some SFA, App, and GSU guys in the past. I've seen the speed demons come into WA Griz 16 times and I've seen them leave with one victory...ever...and that wasn't even from one of the teams promoting all their speed.

If you bring up the speed argument when talking about FCS playoff matchups then I know you are a moron and the conversation should probably end there.

Sammy94
January 7th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Not our problem that we have a few kids that would rather play at NDSU than Minnesota!!

This is it right here. When you have such options of big schools out of the FCS why would you want to leave? I wish we just had North Texas, SMU and UTEP to deal with. The only such athletes we get are the ones that are buried on the depth charts at A&M, OSU, OU, Baylor, UH, etc. and want to play now. The rest are actual FCS talent.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 7th, 2013, 03:41 PM
This is it right here. When you have such options of big schools out of the FCS why would you want to leave? I wish we just had North Texas, SMU and UTEP to deal with. The only such athletes we get are the ones that are buried on the depth charts at A&M, OSU, OU, Baylor, UH, etc. and want to play now. The rest are actual FCS talent.
That doesn't do anything but help you because although it looks like it's an expense to you at the outset doesn't Sam actually have more FBS transfers and FBS style talent on the team?

Bison56
January 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Making it to back to back Championship games I would say you guys are doing alright in recruting.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM

So is that the reason you were or weren't going to kick the **** out of us as of Friday night?

Sammy94
January 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM
So is that the reason you were or weren't going to kick the **** out of us as of Friday night?

Hey I was hoping our team would show up for 4 quarters for a change. That didn't happen once again so you must of missed my eating of crow.

Sammy94
January 7th, 2013, 03:47 PM
maybe a little adult beverage induced also.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Hey I was hoping our team would show up for 4 quarters for a change. That didn't happen once again so you must of missed my eating of crow.

I had an exhausting weekend so I'm pretty much just coming back into the fold today. Probably not going to review old threads, just enjoy it. I do appreciate the couple of Sammy fans that came back in here though.

As it stands, it's not just Sammy fans but GSU fans, App State fans, and lots of other fans talking all kinds of crap before a game then when they lose, they ALL complain about recruiting difficulty. The game isn't who can show up, it's who can win.

Sammy94
January 7th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Making it to back to back Championship games I would say you guys are doing alright in recruting.

I will say the transfers the past few years down here look to come to Sam first because of that reason. If they don't make it past the coaching staff criteria they usually end up at Lamar. Just because you have the talent doesn't mean everything as Lamar has proven. We will see this next year how well Fritz's recruits turn out.

BISON Thunder
January 7th, 2013, 04:06 PM
maybe a little adult beverage induced also.

Speaking of this...sent a couple beers over to two Kat fans also waiting for their flight out of Love Field Saturday night. And before you know it beers were flowing back and forth between about ten fans of both teams. Was planning on doing some reading on the way home...heck, could barely talk!

Question for SHSU...did the player uniforms have the player's name on their game jerseys last season? I noticed they did not this year, and am wondering if this is change from the previous year.

Sammy94
January 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Question for SHSU...did the player uniforms have the player's name on their game jerseys last season? I noticed they did not this year, and am wondering if this is change from the previous year.

Nope, the name on the front is more important then a name on the back. Been like that as long as I can remember here at Sam

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Nope, the name on the front is more important then a name on the back. Been like that as long as I can remember here at Sam

You know. The only team I've seen put names on the back so far is Georgia Southern. Ironic how they pride themselves on how plain their uni's are.

There are probably more but that stuck out to me.

eaglewraith
January 7th, 2013, 05:01 PM
You know. The only team I've seen put names on the back so far is Georgia Southern. Ironic how they pride themselves on how plain their uni's are.

And?

eaglewraith
January 7th, 2013, 05:03 PM
As it stands, it's not just Sammy fans but GSU fans, App State fans, and lots of other fans talking all kinds of crap before a game then when they lose, they ALL complain about recruiting difficulty. The game isn't who can show up, it's who can win.

No complaints here about recruiting difficulty in our loss to you. That was the last thought on my mind. Our screwups in playcalling against a fantastic defense, and the inability to stop a 4th and 3 lost us the game. As for talent level, I'd say at skill positions we might be slightly ahead...but it didn't matter when it came to the end cause execution trumps talent.

semobison
January 7th, 2013, 05:17 PM
No complaints here about recruiting difficulty in our loss to you. That was the last thought on my mind. Our screwups in playcalling against a fantastic defense, and the inability to stop a 4th and 3 lost us the game. As for talent level, I'd say at skill positions we might be slightly ahead...but it didn't matter when it came to the end cause execution trumps talent.

I know for a fact when NDSU recruits offensively, lineman are the priority!

semobison
January 7th, 2013, 05:24 PM

Maybe if you would have actually beat Baylor your recruiting would be easier. The only advantage NDSU has is a fan base and alumni committed to having a great football program and that has been going on for 40 years! 3 losing seasons since 1964. In 2009 when we went 3-8 there were calls for Bohl's head!

Walkon79
January 7th, 2013, 05:38 PM

The Cats have had their name on the back for several years. More for the fans than the players IMO

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2013, 05:40 PM
The Cats have had their name on the back for several years. More for the fans than the players IMO

Now that I think about it, I think UNI and YSU do too.

MplsBison
January 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM

It wasn't my argument. Take it up with the ESPN color man who made the claim that SHSU's speed was too much for NDSU's defense. xnodx

theasushow
January 7th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Urban Meyer "the difference in the southern speed tonight is glaringly obvious"....duh.

Gil Dobie
January 7th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Urban Meyer "the difference in the southern speed tonight is glaringly obvious"....duh.

Notre Dame is a glorified Big Ten team. Nothing good in FBS this year north of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Mississippi.

citdog
January 7th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Notre Dame is a glorified Big Ten team. Nothing good in FBS this year north of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Mississippi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJsHv0uPstk&list=PLC7F0605715AA2DA4

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2013, 11:52 PM
How many SoCon fans are jumping on the coattails of the FBS tonight? At least 2 so far but the night is young...

Bisonoline
January 7th, 2013, 11:58 PM
As sad as it is, I would also have to believe that any guy on NDSU's roster this year from the twin cities (Grant Olson, Marcus Williams, Billy Turner, John Crockett, etc.) would've taken a scholarship to the Gophers if they had been smart enough to offer. It's just the reality.

Funny thing about Billy Turner, the Gophers offered a different player from his same school district (Jimmy Gjere). That kid was a little bit taller, little bit more hype, more stars, etc. You get the idea. So he got the scholarship. But now Gjere no longer plays due to injuries.

Just another example of NDSU benefit from the Gophers making the wrong choice.

Well you had to go and step in it didnt you. 2 of the players you mentioned didnt qualify academically to even be considered my MN. Even if they were eligible that still doesnt mean MN would have offered as they cant offer every kid who has talent.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Well, last night Alabama *CRUSHED* Notre Dame. Wasn't even fun watching the first half. I shut it off.

I for one would be curious - if you raced every guy on the starting 22 of each team head to head in the 40 yard dash (QB v QB, left OG v left OG, right DE v right DE, etc.) - which team would have more wins?

I'm not convinced that Alabama would have significantly more than Notre Dame.

Moreover, is straight line top end speed the only thing that matters or even the most important thing?

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 8th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Alabama cemented their place as 4th best team in America last night.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Tubakat2014
January 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Well, last night Alabama *CRUSHED* Notre Dame. Wasn't even fun watching the first half. I shut it off.

I for one would be curious - if you raced every guy on the starting 22 of each team head to head in the 40 yard dash (QB v QB, left OG v left OG, right DE v right DE, etc.) - which team would have more wins?

I'm not convinced that Alabama would have significantly more than Notre Dame.

Moreover, is straight line top end speed the only thing that matters or even the most important thing?

Speed is just one aspect of the complete package a football player must offer to be considered elite. You're right- Alabama didn't win due to being faster than Notre Dame, they won by executing their game plan in such a way that allowed their speed to be utilized efficiently. Notre Dame, quite simply, didn't.

ysubigred
January 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Now that I think about it, I think UNI and YSU do too.

Not YSU. A few years ago they had names but the new coach stopped it.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 8th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Not YSU. A few years ago they had names but the new coach stopped it.

Yeah, I had a hunch I wasn't right on that one.