PDA

View Full Version : Question for NDSU Fans

EKU Toss Sweep
January 5th, 2013, 01:12 PM
My apologies if this has been asked and answered previously. What is the correct / preferred pronunciation for the NDSU mascot? Is it "Bison" or "Bizon"? I notice the ESPN announcers always use "Bizon" which is not the norm.

If "bizon" is the preferred was this an effort from the NDSU Sports Information Department or Marketing Department? ESPN and any national broadcast typically butchers school mascots, monikers, names on scoreboards for the FCS schools. As an example Eastern Kentucky University is almost always shown as EKY instead of EKU.

Just curious if the "bizon" pronunciation is preferred and attention to detail on the part of the NDSU SID, or just dumb luck.

Looks like a great atmosphere at the game today.

jub1982
January 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Bizon is correct. ESPN normally gets it wrong. Before last years National Championship game, NDSU radio color commentator Phil Hansen went into the ESPN booth to tell them the correct way to pronounce it.

Laker
January 5th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I've always heard it as Bizon. Even my high school team, the Buffalo Lake Lakers, were also referred to as the Bizon which I preferred. I mean, we used the Bison head on our letter jackets, not a sailboat.

darell1976
January 5th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Up here we say Bizon.

Winindy
January 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Bison is pronounced Bizon

And Sioux is pronounced North Dakota... go figure.

justintyem
January 5th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Now thats some funny **** right there!!!!

Big Rack
January 5th, 2013, 05:04 PM

xbeerchugx

Bison56
January 5th, 2013, 07:03 PM

xlolx

hlebichuk
January 5th, 2013, 08:59 PM

A Sioux under any other name still sucks.

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Up here we say Bizon.

Lead that with a Sir/Ma'am...you're still our bitches.

And Sioux (thanks to the NCAA) is pronounced Whioux... go figure.

FIFY

tourguide
January 6th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Bizon is correct. ESPN normally gets it wrong. Before last years National Championship game, NDSU radio color commentator Phil Hansen went into the ESPN booth to tell them the correct way to pronounce it.

Actually it was in the middle of third quarter not the beginning of the game. So for 2 and a half quarters of football last year they said it wrong. once phil corrected them they barely said Bison ever again.