PDA

View Full Version : Wofford rumors

dungeonjoe
January 4th, 2013, 08:27 AM
There are rumors that Nate Woody,Wofford's longtime defensive coordinator, is interviewing for the same position at Appalachian State.

Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SpeedkingATL
January 4th, 2013, 08:33 AM
There are rumors that Nate Woody,Wofford's longtime defensive coordinator, is interviewing for the same position at Appalachian State.

Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He has done a heck of a job at Wofford and I would love to see what he could do at App.

asumike83
January 4th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I have heard the same rumors myself and would also love to have him. He has done a great job with the defense at WC. As much as we heard about their offensive attack (rightfully so), I was more impressed with their defense when I saw them in person this season. Only team that kept us under 400 yards all season.

eaglewraith
January 4th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Do not want.

md64179
January 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM
It looks like it would be a great addition for APP. He already knows all SOCON teams. Could be good

asumike83
January 4th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Tweet from about 30 minutes ago from Wofford beat writer Todd Shanesy:

Todd Shanesy ‏@TerrierTracker
Coach Ayers said he will meet with Woody late this afternoon and it looks like he's going to App State but would try to talk him out of it.

asumike83
January 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
One further update:

Todd Shanesy ‏@TerrierTracker
Basically done deal. Just has to tell Ayers face-to-face later today, which will be tough.

Apphole
January 4th, 2013, 10:53 AM
So ends our stint of sucking against Wofford's offense.

More writing on the wall that coaches are expecting an FBS move also. Why else move after 22 successful years with the ankle biters?

eaglewraith
January 4th, 2013, 11:35 AM

More writing on the wall that coaches are expecting an FBS move also. Why else move after 22 successful years with the ankle biters?

I have no doubts you're posturing for an FBS move, but honestly....I don't think Wofford pays their coaches much at all and he's a good DC. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to come near double his salary at Wofford and get him to change jobs.

citdog
January 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM

no just writing in pen that your defense sucks. BAD

Apphole
January 4th, 2013, 12:05 PM
no just writing in pen that your defense sucks. BAD

No argument there. ASU has underachieved defensively since 2005. We are constantly at the bottom of the conference in total defense, yet we are only SoCon program to consistently put defensive players in the NFL.

It is safe to say that Woody has done a whole lot more with a whole lot less. Terrific hire. Satterfield is building a monster program.

Saint3333
January 4th, 2013, 12:08 PM
52 years old with 20+ years experience, 12 as DC. Has historically performed better with arguably less talent (definitely depth). But maybe most importantly will help with SC recruiting as App's success in the upstate has been on a downward trend there the last few years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 4th, 2013, 12:14 PM
No argument there. ASU has underachieved defensively since 2005. We are constantly at the bottom of the conference in total defense, yet we are only SoCon program to consistently put defensive players in the NFL.

It is safe to say that Woody has done a whole lot more with a whole lot less. Terrific hire. Satterfield is building a monster program.

Your problem was the 3-4 defense. The only teams that can recruit the linemen needed to make that scheme work are at the highest rungs of college football. Notice that in the 3-4 thread that just about all of the teams mentioned that run the 3-4 are in the bottom half of the FCS in defense.

Also, I disagree with the underachieving part when you don't have a single defensive lineman who is an all-SoCon talent. Seriously, your defensive line is middle-of-the-pack in the conference at best. Looks like whoever was in charge of your recruiting just went after huge guys and didn't worry about whether or not they have any talent.

cbarrier90
January 4th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Also, I disagree with the underachieving part when you don't have a single defensive lineman who is an all-SoCon talent. Seriously, your defensive line is middle-of-the-pack in the conference at best. Looks like whoever was in charge of your recruiting just went after huge guys and didn't worry about whether or not they have any talent.

They're all freshmen and sophomores. Ronald Blair's name will be on an All SoCon list next season. I do agree with you that the lack of size especially at the tackle position is a tremendous detriment to this defense, but it can be found in the JuCo ranks (we've done it before) and the two freshmen that started this season have four years to bulk up.

Saint3333
January 4th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Dan Wylie in 2011 would disagree. That man has a beast, GSU fans moreso than anyone should remember him.

chattownmocs
January 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM
To be honest, if the writing is on the wall for an FBS move than hiring an FCS coordinator as your head coach seems to be a bit of a stretch.

asumike83
January 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM

Ronald Blair was voted 1st team all-SoCon by the media and 2nd team by the coaches. Davante Harris and Stephen Burns both made the SoCon all-freshman team as well. There is no shortage of talent, just a lot of youth.

eaglewraith
January 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM
To be honest, if the writing is on the wall for an FBS move than hiring an FCS coordinator as your head coach seems to be a bit of a stretch.

In fairness, Oregon doesn't seem to be regretting it.

Saint3333
January 4th, 2013, 01:20 PM

Satterfield was an FBS OC for three years before coming back to App last year.

Reign of Terrier
January 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Well guys, I can understand this hire for App, as already mentioned it will help App against option teams...

With that said, one of the reasons he left is probably because Wade Lang, the OC (who has been at the college longer) is basically coach in waiting (that may be a while) and I think it's clear that Woody has ambitions to be a head coach some day. So it wouldn't surprise me if he put up some good defensive numbers and bolted for the first D1 head coaching offer. That may be a few years away, but I still think it's something to be kept in mind.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to Wofford and App defensively in terms of speed. We run the multiple 50 which is a little different from the 3-4. There's a lot of zone coverage as opposed to man coverage, and the reason we've done it that way is because we've been pretty humble about our lack of athleticism, though I would argue at the rate we're recruiting we may not have such poor athletes in comparison either. So we may change the defense (we were begging for it as a fanbase in 2008-2009) With that said, App has better athletes and we'll just have to see if he sticks to the same scheme as he did at Wofford.

AppMan
January 4th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Your problem was the 3-4 defense. The only teams that can recruit the linemen needed to make that scheme work are at the highest rungs of college football. Notice that in the 3-4 thread that just about all of the teams mentioned that run the 3-4 are in the bottom half of the FCS in defense.

Considering they run a 3-4 front, I'm wondering what Wofford's problem was? BTW, Wofford's d-line this past year: RE 5-10 260, NT 6-2 290, LE 6-3 250. ASU's: RE 6-4 270, NT 6-2 285, LE 6-6 285. ASU's problem was a DC who couldn't decide what scheme we were going to use. The constant changes made things too complicated for a bunch of young players thrown into action due to injuries.

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 4th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I think this is a great professional move for Woody, and I agree with terrier, that if he ever wants to be a head coach, or atleast a defensive coordinator at a BCS school, he needs to leave Wofford, infact, he might have waited too long and missed his chance, but, from a standard of living point, Boone doesnt compare to Greenville/Spartanburg. I lived in Spartanburg for 9 years, and as much as I love Boone, there is no comparison, infact, I believe 3 or 4 years ago the Greenville/Spartanburg area was voted one of the top 10 places in the country in terms of quality of living. Happy as hell to have him, this guy can really coach, just hopes he hangs around atleast 3 or 4 years.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Good get by App, Wofford had a great defense this year.

T-Dog
January 4th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Considering they run a 3-4 front, I'm wondering what Wofford's problem was? BTW, Wofford's d-line this past year: RE 5-10 260, NT 6-2 290, LE 6-3 250. ASU's: RE 6-4 270, NT 6-2 285, LE 6-6 285. ASU's problem was a DC who couldn't decide what scheme we were going to use. The constant changes made things too complicated for a bunch of young players thrown into action due to injuries.

Also another issue was the lack of in-game adjustments. If the defensive game plan worked, it looked great, but if it didn't, it was a long four quarters.

ASU_Fanatic
January 4th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Awwwwwhhhhh yeeeaaaaahhh mannnnn

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/AWW+Yeah.+Can+somebody+put+yeah+nigga+at+the+botto m_a405d0_3535057.gif

Saint3333
January 4th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Let me get this straight App promoted the best OC in the conference to head coach and hired away a top two DC within the conference. Strong start to the offseason.

Six verbals, all with at least one FBS offer, have a good feeling about the next couple of weeks.

citdog
January 4th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Let me get this straight App promoted the MOST OVERRATED OC in the conference to head coach and hired away a SMALL AND PRIVATE DC within the conference. Strong start to the offseason.

Six verbals, all with at least one FBS offer, have a good feeling about the next couple of weeks.

FIFY

Mr. C
January 4th, 2013, 11:19 PM

That is a reach. This move has ZERO to do with anything related to FBS. Ayers and his staff have had plenty of chances to move elsewhere over the years.

asumike83
January 4th, 2013, 11:24 PM
FIFY

In 2011, the ASU offense averaged 390 yards and 28.7 points per game. The #1 RB and #1 WR on that team were playing on Sundays and the top two OL had graduated along with an all-SoCon TE when Scott Satterfield took over. In 2012, the ASU offense averaged 464 yards and 32.9 points per game.

Our problems were heavily concentrated on the other side of the ball. He is unproven as a HC but I'd be curious to hear the rationale for calling him overrated as an OC.

cbarrier90
January 5th, 2013, 01:17 AM
FIFY

http://perennialreflection.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/aussie-haterade.gif

citdog
January 5th, 2013, 01:57 AM
http://perennialreflection.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/aussie-haterade.gif

52-28

cbarrier90
January 5th, 2013, 03:55 AM
52-28

Defensive issue, which we just fixed, which is why this thread exists. That's got nothing to do with Satterfield's offense. Heck, 28 points beats the Citadel most days.

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/assets/jb/nation/jb_nation_grant_1_m.jpg

Saint3333
January 5th, 2013, 07:38 AM
If citdog knows anything it should be "overrated".

Apphole
January 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Robert E Lee was overrated. A full frontal attack at Gettysburg? Really?

citdog
January 5th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Robert E Lee was overrated. A full frontal attack at Gettysburg? Really?

satterfield is no Robert E. Lee. Robert E. Lee recruited better.

Apphole
January 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM
satterfield is no Robert E. Lee. Robert E. Lee recruited better.

R E Lee went to a real military school called Westpoint. The CSA wouldn't have lasted a year if its armies were led by an El Cid grad.

And the CSA would still be around if it ran the spread offense.

citdog
January 5th, 2013, 11:30 AM
R E Lee went to a real military school called Westpoint. The CSA wouldn't have lasted a year if its armies were led by an El Cid grad.

And the CSA would still be around if it ran the spread offense.

says a guy who went to a school that wasn't even founded until after the close of the late war.

Confeds were GREAT on defense......unlike appy.

GlassOnion
January 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM
says a guy who went to a school that wasn't even founded until after the close of the late war.

Confeds were GREAT on defense......unlike appy.

Technically, they werent great at recruiting. Desertion was rampant, and they didnt really have a big enough recruiting footprint.

And the Confederates werent that great on defense either, with the exception of Robert E. Lee. If they were, Sherman wouldnt have sacked Robert E. Lee from behind. Oh, and their offense was wanting. Two Northern invasions, turned back twice. Game over.

Saint3333
January 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM
The south lost the war due to fewer men, and more importantly fewer resources. From a tactical perspective the southern generals were much better. Given the same resources the South would have won based upon X and Os. $$$ talks.

walliver
January 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Technically, they werent great at recruiting. Desertion was rampant, and they didnt really have a big enough recruiting footprint.

And the Confederates werent that great on defense either, with the exception of Robert E. Lee. If they were, Sherman wouldnt have sacked Robert E. Lee from behind. Oh, and their offense was wanting. Two Northern invasions, turned back twice. Game over.

If Lee had run the triple option at Gettysburg things might have gone better. But even them, I'm not sure he could overcome the SoCon refs.

citdog
January 5th, 2013, 04:11 PM
If Lee had run the triple option at Gettysburg things might have gone better. But even them, I'm not sure he could overcome the SoCon refs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1EOle6OQw

Apphole
January 5th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Gettysburg was won because of a huge block thrown by left guard, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain.

AppMan
January 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Gettysburg was lost because of a poor scouting report and taking on a FBS team with a decided home field advantage.