PDA

View Full Version : S.C. State to play Air Force Academy in 2007!

bosshogg
August 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM
http://scstate.blogspot.com/2006/08/scsu-to-play-air-force-academy-next.html

McFadden switching to safety

Tuesday, Aug 22, 2006 - 11:02 PM

Lou Bezjak
Sports Writer

It’s been an adjustment period for Marshall McFadden since he arrived at S.C. State.
First, McFadden had to make the adjustment in coming from a Class A high school at Lamar to playing at the Division I-AA level.
McFadden made that one very easily and quickly made a difference for the Bulldogs last season. He started nine games at linebacker and finished third on the team in tackles with 63. McFadden also had two sacks and 8 1/2 tackles for loss.
“I knew he was going to be a good asset to our team,” said S.C. State safety and former Lamar teammate LeQuinn Ellerbe. “A lot of people don’t come into a program and have an effect like he has. I got a lot of respect for him.”
This year, McFadden has another adjustment — a new position.
McFadden is moving to safety, a position he hasn’t played before, because of a rash of injuries in the secondary, including Markee Hamlin, another former Lamar standout. Hamlin had to have his appendix out after the first day of camp and is expected to miss the first couple of games.
“We had much better players backing Marshall up than we did Markee,” S.C. State Buddy Pough said. “Marshall has been real effective there so far. We know he can run, and the big thing is if we could really play the ball.”
McFadden said he was a little concerned about the switch at first, but so far it has been an easy adjustment.
“I don’t want jinx it,” McFadden said with a smile. “It is a big responsibility. You have to be a great tackler and know how to cover too. But I’m up for it.”
The transition has been eased with the help of Ellerbe, who plays alongside him at free safety. Ellerbe has helped his roommate and believes their chemistry has played a big part in the adjustment.
“It puts us ahead of a lot of other players,” Ellerbe said of having played together at Lamar. “We know that the other can do. It is a comfort level.”
It’s unclear how long the switch will last once Hamlin is healthy. Pough said he might move McFadden back to linebacker or possibly switch Hamlin to cornerback, giving the Bulldogs a possibility of having three former Silver Foxes in the secondary at one time.
“That would be nice,” McFadden said.

Notes
S.C. State has added another Division I game to its schedule next season. The Bulldogs will play at Air Force in the second game of the year. S.C. State also will play at South Carolina. ... Former Timmonsville standout Phillip Morris is practicing with the team and will redshirt this season. Morris, who committed to Clemson in high school, spent the past two years at Georgia Military.

89Hen
August 23rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Interesting game, but AFA and USC in the same year? Ouch. BTW, tell Lou Bezjak that SCSt and the MEAC are Division I.

bosshogg
August 23rd, 2006, 09:34 AM
i agree, its a rough schedule, but their is a method behind thier madness...they are not schedulingthese games just for the money....we are trying to get as many 1-A games as we can in the next few years......I'll let you guys figure out why that would be:rotateh:

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
i agree, its a rough schedule, but their is a method behind thier madness...they are not schedulingthese games just for the money....we are trying to get as many 1-A games as we can in the next few years......I'll let you guys figure out why that would be:rotateh:

Well...........................if it isn't just for the money ( which it never is) then you guys are moving on up:confused:

BLUE TIGER
August 23rd, 2006, 11:00 AM

Thats a great move for you guys and I wish SC State well. JSU will be soon to join you in the next 5 years. Coach Comegy told the media we weren't backing down from nobody. We are not adding all of these D-1A players for nothing....figure that out.:D

BLUE TIGER
August 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Comegy isn't backing down from no school and he made that clear in this video interview.
http://www.wjtv.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WJTV/MGArticle/JTV_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128768632882&path=

MACHIAVELLI
August 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
JSU will be soon to join you in the next 5 years. Coach Comegy told the media we weren't backing down from nobody. We are not adding all of these D-1A players for nothing....figure that out.:D

What coach will say that he is backing down from another school?

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 23rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Good luck. Personally, I think 1-aa is holding a couple of HBCU's back. Southern, Jackson State, Grambling, Tenn State and Famu should have been 1-A a long time ago. These are the schools that have the fan base/ name recognition to support such a move.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Good luck. Personally, I think 1-aa is holding a couple of HBCU's back. Southern, Jackson State, Grambling, Tenn State and Famu should have been 1-A a long time ago. These are the schools that have the fan base/ name recognition to support such a move.

:rolleyes:

The only thing holding you back was your conference or the your school:rolleyes:

jstate83
August 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
:rolleyes:

The only thing holding you back was your conference or the your school:rolleyes:

Another uninformed troll.:rolleyes:

If you don't know all the intangables involved....................SHUT YOUR MOUTH.:rolleyes:

Unlike your DGAF school and Conference, there is more to JSU moving up than just saying GOODBYE SWAC.

If we was thinking just for ourselves, we could have made the move to 1-A in the 80's if we wanted too.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Another uninformed troll.:rolleyes:

If you don't know all the intangables involved....................SHUT YOUR MOUTH.:rolleyes:

Unlike your DGAF school and Conference, there is more to JSU moving up than just saying GOODBYE SWAC.

If we was thinking just for ourselves, we could have made the move to 1-A in the 80's if we wanted too.

You will note that I attempted to remove that post.
Not in a particularly good mood todya and realized this is really not my argument or fight. I am a SC State Fan and if they move on I will be pulling for them all the way.

But I do get a little tired of the "I-AA is holding us back:". Whether from Southern or Appalachian. If I-AA is holding us back then we should leave.

And by the way. I am not a troll nor do I intend to shut my mouth. :p

ncbears
August 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
I wonder if they still plan on playing Northern Colorado in 2007?

dbackjon
August 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
And by the way. I am not a troll nor do I intend to shut my mouth. :p

Shut up you troll :p

Actually, a I-A league of some of the larger HBCU's could have some traction - and would immediately get more publicity than the Sunbelt.

Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, FAMU, SC State, Tenn State would make an attractive league for TV/Bowls.

Now whether that would make sense for the other sports, is another matter.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Shut up you troll :p

Actually, a I-A league of some of the larger HBCU's could have some traction - and would immediately get more publicity than the Sunbelt.

Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, FAMU, SC State, Tenn State would make an attractive league for TV/Bowls.

Now whether that would make sense for the other sports, is another matter.

And I absolutely agree. I to Mr. Jsstate83, I may not understand all the intangibles but I understand and appreciate them enough of them.

I sincerely think alot of HBCUs would fair well in I-A, but to say I-AA is holding them back. I don't think anybody signed a contract to be a life long member of I-AA.

Thanks

dbackjon
August 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
I sincerely think alot of HBCUs would fair well in I-A, but to say I-AA is holding them back. I don't think anybody signed a contract to be a life long member of I-AA.

Thanks

Absolutely - I-AA is a voluntary association, and holds no one back.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Absolutely - I-AA is a voluntary association, and holds no one back.

and another thing.......xlolx xlolx xlolx :smiley_wi

jstate83
August 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
and another thing.......xlolx xlolx xlolx :smiley_wi
**FART**xidiotx

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
**FART**xidiotx

Glad you agree:rolleyes:

jstate83
August 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Glad you agree:rolleyes:
Yep................You showed me.:rolleyes:
Feel better, important, annoying.....................Let me know when I should GAF.:rolleyes:

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Yep................You showed me.:rolleyes:
Feel better, important, annoying.....................Let me know when I should GAF.:rolleyes:

Didn't show you anything other than I understand the issue is not I-AA.

89Hen
August 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
I've asked many times, why doesn't the SWAC just move to I-A en masse? Seriously. What's to stop them?

GSUISBACK
August 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
I've asked many times, why doesn't the SWAC just move to I-A en masse? Seriously. What's to stop them?
money

89Hen
August 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
money
How's that? Money to move up? Money in I-AA? They don't have to offer more schollies if they don't want.

jstate83
August 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
How's that? Money to move up? Money in I-AA? They don't have to offer more schollies if they don't want.

The SWAC can't make a mass move any more than any other conference.
How Many other team could have followed MARSHAL in their conference when they made the move?

Not many.

Just like any other conference, some schools could do it with the facilities, degree programs, and campus set up as it is. Others are struggling at this level financially. There's more to moving up than feilding a football team and scheduling 1-A school's to beat the snot out of you for the next 4 or 5 years.
And remember that's magnified by 16 sports programs all of which need full funding.

Most in this conference rely on the schools listed below for their biggest payday's of the season with JSU and SU being their biggest IN CONFERENCE paydays.............see 9 game mandate.

SU, GRAM, JSU, and maybe ALCORN could put a plan together now and do it..

89Hen
August 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
The SWAC can't make a mass move any more than any other conference.
How Many other team could have followed MARSHAL in their conference when they made the move?

Not many
I completely disagree. The biggest obstacle for moving to I-A for many teams is finding a home and scheduling. It makes more sense for the entire SWAC to move rather than a couple of their teams. If the entire conference moves up, you could conceivably play 9 conference games, 1 MEAC game and two games against fellow I-A OOC. How simple is that?

jstate83
August 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
I completely disagree. The biggest obstacle for moving to I-A for many teams is finding a home and scheduling. It makes more sense for the entire SWAC to move rather than a couple of their teams. If the entire conference moves up, you could conceivably play 9 conference games, 1 MEAC game and two games against fellow I-A OOC. How simple is that?

So what would be the point if we played the EXACT SAME SCHEDULE for 1A that we play now in 1-AA?

Same sponsers, same conference, same teams, same SCHEDULING PROBLEMS with a 9 game mandate.

The only thing that would change is the D1-AA to D1-A designation.: smh :

The problem ain't the schools that can move up, but the schools that would be left behind..............THE VALLEY'S and P. VIEWS.

89Hen
August 23rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
So what would be the point if we played the EXACT SAME SCHEDULE for 1A that we play now in 1-AA?

Same sponsers, same conference, same teams, same SCHEDULING PROBLEMS with a 9 game mandate.

The only thing that would change is the D1-AA to D1-A designation.
My exact point. Remember why the I-AA people asked the NCAA to change the names? Wouldn't it benefit the SWAC teams to be associated with I-A's? I think that I-A would welcome the SWAC since they don't have any HBCU's now. The PV's and Valley's can get pulled along with the big dogs just like the Duke's and Baylor's do now.

The only reason to stay in I-AA is the playoffs. If you're not going to participate in them, why stay?

GSUISBACK
August 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
You MUST FUND more scholarships at the D1a level and add more sports for women as well. Also Coaching pay must increase, facilties improve and maintain 15k+ in attendence.

BLUE TIGER
August 23rd, 2006, 07:41 PM

We can't economically move the entire conference. In order to have an excellent conference we should weed and seed some schools. This is what the SWAC should look like if they so wish to make the move to the next level.

Jackson State, Southern, Grambling, Tennessee State, FAMU:thumbsup::nod:

Alabama State, S. C. State, N. C. A&T, Howard, Hampton, Bethune CC:confused: :bang:

Now the first 5 I listed are perfect, but the remaining 6 would have to prove themselves worthy to compete at such a high level.

BLUE TIGER
August 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
You MUST FUND more scholarships at the D1a level and add more sports for women as well. Also Coaching pay must increase, facilties improve and maintain 15k+ in attendence.

I can assure you this would be no problem for the "first 5" I mentioned. And you must remember that "BIG PAYOUTS" are guaranteed on that level.

blukeys
August 23rd, 2006, 07:56 PM
Not to be rude but back to the thread topic.

Bosshogg definitely try and catch the Air Force Game. The pageantry of a Military Academy game should not be missed. The Air Force Academy's campus is supposed to be especially beautiful. I have a couple of friends who are graduates and they claim that it is the most beautiful campus in the U.S.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jstate83
August 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM

That's what I was talking about in the earlier post.
There is MORE to this than just fielding a football team............Heck more than just sport's.

If you are going to compete against the BIG BOY's on a every Saturday basis, YOUR SCHOOL has to be ready to EDUCATE on this level also or you will continue to be second and third teir.

Meaning..................How will you get a top recruit that want's to be a Biologist but your school offer no degree's in this field.............JUST FOR EXAMPLE.

That kid ain't comming to your school.
Academic's has to be added also. With budget crunches and colleges scrounging to get dollars just to improve what they have, adding sports and degreed programs is more money on top of more money that's scarce anyway.

Stuff like this has to be planned years in advance for EACH SCHOOL.
See FAMU for an example of a school that moved way to fast. They could have done it, but they rushed it like someone was chasing them with a uzi.

Mr. Tiger
August 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
A MEAC/SWAC merger of top schools with the addition of Tennessee State has been discussed among fans, but school administrators have never seriously talked about it. I don't see it happening and money isn't the issue here, it is priorities and a sense of helping out your fellow man. If the top SWAC/MEAC schools merge and jump to Division I-A, what will happen to the rest of the schools that remain in I-AA. Many of them make their budgets by playing Jackson State, FAMU, Grambling, Southern etc. Also school presidents would rather add more academic programs and departments than pump more money into athletics. So the answer is, yes, it could be done over a 5-year period with a plan to raise money for the additional scholarships and facility upgrades but is it worth it.

walliver
August 23rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
If you are going to compete against the BIG BOY's on a every Saturday basis, YOUR SCHOOL has to be ready to EDUCATE on this level also or you will continue to be second and third teir.

Are you really saying that I-A schools are better academically?xidiotx

Are you saying that HBCU academic standards are not up to those of the "Big Boys"?xidiotx

Many I-A schools do a very poor job of educating their football players. Their level is not something to aspire to.:twocents:

jstate83
August 24th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Are you really saying that I-A schools are better academically?xidiotx

Are you saying that HBCU academic standards are not up to those of the "Big Boys"?xidiotx

Many I-A schools do a very poor job of educating their football players. Their level is not something to aspire to.:twocents:

Man............Do ya'll work at arguments?xidiotx xidiotx
I can't believe you went through my post and came up with that.xidiotx

Take the example for what it was.xidiotx
Nobody said 1-AA was academically inferior to 1-A.xidiotx

I'm was saying that MAJORITY of the established BIG BOY's OF 1-A..........the Michigans, Notre Dames, USC's, Alabama's, etc...............have more DEGREE PROGRAMS to offer kids. School's have to build their "academic campus" also...................dang.xidiotx

I used biology as an example.......................xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

jstate83
August 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Meaning..................How will you get a top recruit that want's to be a Biologist but your school offer no degree's in this field.............JUST FOR EXAMPLE.
That kid ain't comming to your school.

Academic's has to be added also. With budget crunches and colleges scrounging to get dollars just to improve what they have, adding sports and degreed programs is more money on top of more money that's scarce anyway.

AGAIN...........................Walliver.......... ..............xidiotx xidiotx

But..Who cares.......We ain't moving up at this time and have no plans in the works to do so.

Back to the subject.......................Good schedule SCSU.

arranger101
August 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM
We can't economically move the entire conference. In order to have an excellent conference we should weed and seed some schools. This is what the SWAC should look like if they so wish to make the move to the next level.

Jackson State, Southern, Grambling, Tennessee State, FAMU:thumbsup::nod:

Alabama State, S. C. State, N. C. A&T, Howard, Hampton, Bethune CC:confused: :bang:

Now the first 5 I listed are perfect, but the remaining 6 would have to prove themselves worthy to compete at such a high level.

I was with you until this....

SCSU will do great and so would Hampton, even if you are talking economics, fan base, or overall traditions.

BLUE TIGER
August 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I was with you until this....

SCSU will do great and so would Hampton, even if you are talking economics, fan base, or overall traditions.

Don't take offense to my statement about the "6" I'm not sure of because they're in without a doubt. What I was stating without going into detail is that I don't know how they'll perform in a great league. I'm not saying that those schools are not great, but my question is can they become one of the greats?:confused: I personally believe those 11 schools can be the SEC of HBCU's and college football.:cool: This is something that should happen in the next five years. Oh and BTW the new conference wouldn't be called SWAC. The new conference name should be SEAC(SOUTH EASTERN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE). R U wit me now?:nod:

arranger101
August 24th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Don't take offense to my statement about the "6" I'm not sure of because they're in without a doubt. What I was stating without going into detail is that I don't know how they'll perform in a great league. I'm not saying that those schools are not great, but my question is can they become one of the greats?:confused: I personally believe those 11 schools can be the SEC of HBCU's and college football.:cool: This is something that should happen in the next five years. Oh and BTW the new conference wouldn't be called SWAC. The new conference name should be SEAC(SOUTH EASTERN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE). R U wit me now?:nod:

I was with you the whole time...just scratchin' ya fleas!!:rotateh:

bosshogg
August 25th, 2006, 08:16 AM
SCSU to play Air Force in 2007

Bulldogs release projected '07 football schedule

By LEE HENDREN and THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Staff Writers
Friday, August 25, 2006

Even with the excitement over the coming season, fans are sure to be “flying high” about the South Carolina State University football team’s 2007 schedule.

The SCSU Board of Trustees accepted an invitation Thursday for the Bulldogs to open their 2007 football season Sept. 1 in Colorado Springs, Colo. against the Air Force Academy.

“The South Carolina State game is a great opportunity for our football program at the Air Force Academy,” USAFA Senior Association Athletics Director Mike Saks said Thursday.

“We lost the game we had scheduled with Northern Colorado because of a scholarship issue, so we were looking for a game to replace it and South Carolina State was a great fit. Their program is very well respected and we’re looking forward to their visit next season,” he said.

SCSU officials believe it’s the first time the Falcons of the Mountain West Conference have scheduled a football game with a historically black college or university. More important, the $225,000 guaranteed fee, along with 300 complimentary tickets, gives SCSU two lucrative games next season against Division I-A schools.

The Bulldogs will receive $230,000 and 2,600 tickets, 600 of them complimentary, for the Sept. 15 contest against the University of South Carolina and $250,000 when the two schools meet again in 2011. SCSU is also scheduled to face Georgia Tech in 2010 and Clemson in 2016, although the amounts of the guaranteed fees have not been released.

“It’s another step in our efforts to enhance the visibility of the university and South Carolina State football,” SCSU Athletics Director Charlene Johnson said in a press release. “Getting an opportunity to play major universities of the caliber of the University of South Carolina and the Air Force Academy demonstrates the respect the Division I football community has for our program.”

Although SCSU will have to pay between $60,000 and $80,000 for travel expenses, Johnson pointed out the payout is still more than the $75,000 to $110,000 the school makes at typical home game.

Thursday’s announcement comes on the heels of an agreement reached with the S.C. High School League for the Class A championship games to take place at Oliver C. Dawson Stadium the day after Thanksgiving.

The stadium is undergoing a $578,000 project to install synthetic grass on the playing field. In addition, the S.C. Budget and Control Board on Tuesday gave the university permission to accept a construction gift of $448,975 for a new face panel for the stadium scoreboard.

The ongoing work has forced SCSU to move its Sept. 16 home opener against Bethune-Cookman to The Citadel’s Johnson Hagood Stadium in Charleston. SCSU’s stadium is expected to be ready for the Oct. 7 home game against Norfolk State.

Regarding the agreement with the Air Force Academy, Johnson said it’s an excellent sign when “schools are calling us,” asking for football games.

“That demonstrates the caliber of the football program we have,” she said.

SCSU President Andrew Hugine Jr. also commented that it’s unheard of for Division I-AA schools like SCSU to play two Division 1-A opponents in a single season.

“The Air Force is a good opportunity for us,” Hugine said. The guarantee is “money in the bank,” irregardless of inclement weather that could dampen attendance.

He added in addition to the dollars, the game will provide “some intangibles” such as “tremendous exposure to the university that you cannot put a (dollar) value on.”

When asked during Thursday’s practice about 2007, SCSU head football coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough said while he’s glad to be facing teams like Air Force and USC, he is too focused on his team’s 2006 season opening against Wofford College on Sept. 2 to comment further about it.

T&D Staff Writers Lee Hendren and Thomas Grant Jr. can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] and [email protected] or by phone at (803) 533-5552 or (803) 533-5547. Discuss this and other stories online at TheTandD.com.

Projected 2007

SCSU schedule

Here is a look at the projected 2007 schedule for the South Carolina State football team, based on this season’s schedule and the three games already determined. An official schedule has yet to be approved by the full SCSU Board of Trustees:

Sept. 1 – at Air Force Academy

Sept. 8 – at Bethune-Cookman

Sept. 15 – at The University of South Carolina

Sept. 22 – WINSTON-SALEM STATE

Sept. 29 – OPEN DATE

Oct. 6 – at Norfolk State

Oct. 13 – FLORIDA A&M

Oct. 20 – at Hampton

Oct. 27 – DELAWARE STATE (“Homecoming”)

Nov. 3 – at Howard

Nov. 10 – MORGAN STATE

Nov. 17 – NORTH CAROLINA A&T