PDA

View Full Version : Coach Bohl Contract Extension

steelr7
January 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM
An 8 year extension being reported.
Base salary of $206,000 & thru 2021 plus incentives.

Also, starting MLB Grant Olson may have been in the hospital last night for an appendectomy. That would hurt the Bison on defense, very weak at MLB in depth. Probably the one player that they don't want to lose on defense.

md64179
January 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM
I know NDSU fans would love to see him locked down for 8 more years. I hope his incentive package is nice because 206000 base seems low for a guys who has taken his team to consecutive championship games

Hammersmith
January 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
I know NDSU fans would love to see him locked down for 8 more years. I hope his incentive package is nice because 206000 base seems low for a guys who has taken his team to consecutive championship games
I believe his incentives during a "normal" year put him right around the $300k mark. A year like this one puts him close to $350k

normal = no MVFC title but at least one playoff game.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2013, 01:44 PM
Bresciani is only making 312k/year. That's a ton of money in Fargo.

AppAlum2003
January 1st, 2013, 01:45 PM
*whew* Bellichick's job is safe for a little while longer.

md64179
January 1st, 2013, 01:54 PM
I believe his incentives during a "normal" year put him right around the $300k mark. A year like this one puts him close to $350k

normal = no MVFC title but at least one playoff game.

Ok, that makes it sound much better. 300000 plus is about right for an elite coach at the FCS level

swaghook
January 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM
also it goes up 5% every year along with 3% of home tickets sales and many other bonuses. Might not be the money an FBS coach makes but he has something they don't, job security.

darell1976
January 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
How much was he getting in his current contract and when does that end?

BisonFan02
January 1st, 2013, 02:10 PM

8 year contract through 2021, not sure on current.

darell1976
January 1st, 2013, 02:13 PM
8 year contract through 2021, not sure on current.

What's the odds NDSU is even in the MVFC in 2021?

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Im reallly surprised a BCS school has not, atleast shown interest, about hiring Bohl as HC. I watched the GS game, and his team was really well coached. If I was an AD at a BCS school looking for a coach, he would be at the top of my interview list.

BisonFan02
January 1st, 2013, 02:21 PM
What's the odds NDSU is even in the MVFC in 2021?

No clue, but irrelevent to Coach Bohl's extension. The team's mentality doesn't change with the addition of scholarships/FBS football.

Hammersmith
January 1st, 2013, 02:22 PM
Money is close to the same. Probably a 5% base salary increase from this year's. I think this contract is more for the assistants than Bohl. They are now guaranteed to be paid in the top 10% of FCS and also get a bonus for an MVFC title, playoff games, and NC title appearances.

edit: Memory was right; "old" contract was signed June of 2011 for $196.7k and five years. That's makes the new contract a 5% raise.

darell1976
January 1st, 2013, 02:24 PM
No clue, but irrelevent to Coach Bohl's extension. The team's mentality doesn't change with the addition of scholarships/FBS football.

I wonder if he would get something extra if NDSU were to move up. I know it would take a lot to move up (mostly dealing with the Fargodome's capacity), but I wouldn't be surprised if they explore the option by the end of this decade, especially if the BCS splits from the FBS and a new tier in DI-A football is born.

darell1976
January 1st, 2013, 02:31 PM
With Boise state back in mountain west, and MAC gaining noteriety playing in orange bowl. The question must be asked, does a 8 year contract signify coach bohl's desire to take NDSU to fbs? Personally, you'd think coach bohl would like to shove all his detractors noses in the mud with NDSU becoming successful in one of those conferences.

NDSU is peer institute with Colorado state, Wyoming, New Mexico, San Diego state.

No doubt I think NDSU under Bohl would do good in the MAC, but I think it has to do with money more than the football team. I don't think NDSU has the funds to move up (unless it was as a football only team). I don't think the MAC would take NDSU's basketball teams until the SHAC is finished, plus I would think NDSU would want a bigger dome (20-25K minimum).

darell1976
January 1st, 2013, 02:45 PM
http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/20479291/craig-bohl-signs-8-year-extension-with-ndsu

NDSU MEDIA RELEASE:

FARGO, N.D.--North Dakota State University and head football coach Craig Bohl have agreed to an eight-year contract extension that runs from 2013 to 2021. The announcement was made today by NDSU Director of Athletics Gene Taylor.

"I am very pleased we have signed Coach Bohl to continue being the head coach of the Bison the next several years. His record of success speaks for itself and how he operates the program overall is exceptional. I could not be more pleased as to the future of Bison football under his leadership and our continued working relationship together," said Taylor.

Taylor said the current base salary of the contract is $206,503. The annual salary will be increased by a minimum of five percent per year effective July 1, 2013, contingent on performance evaluations.

The contract includes a 3 percent of gross home football regular season single-game and season ticket sales. There are also incentives for a Missouri Valley Football Conference Championship ($10,000), Football Championship Subdivision home ($5,000) and away ($2,500) playoff games, a FCS runner-up finish ($10,000) and a FCS championship ($15,000).

The contract includes provisions for the assistant coaches to receive compensation for a conference championship ($1,500), FCS home ($1,500) and away ($750) playoff games, a FCS runner-up finish ($1,500) and a FCS championship ($2,000). It also states the yearly budget for assistant coach salaries shall be in the top 10 percent of FCS football programs.

slostang
January 1st, 2013, 03:32 PM
It is awesome that Bohl is looking out for his assistant coaches.

Laker
January 1st, 2013, 03:42 PM
It is awesome that Bohl is looking out for his assistant coaches.

xthumbsupx Agreed. They are the ones that make any successful team continue to be so.

Twentysix
January 1st, 2013, 04:05 PM
Ok, that makes it sound much better. 300000 plus is about right for an elite coach at the FCS level

Bohl also has non university money coming in from his football show.

$60k in media appearances [references the Craig Bohl football show] $10k in non-media appearances and camps

To quote a 2008 hammersmith post. I suppose it is possible the 60k is also a bigger number now, since it's not a public contract it probably won't be revealed.

The reference material from 2008 has been archived by VNL and isn't accessible anymore.

Bisonwinagn
January 1st, 2013, 04:43 PM
Does anyone have the list of top FCS coaching salaries?

ncbears
January 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM
With Boise state back in mountain west, and MAC gaining noteriety playing in orange bowl. The question must be asked, does a 8 year contract signify coach bohl's desire to take NDSU to fbs? Personally, you'd think coach bohl would like to shove all his detractors noses in the mud with NDSU becoming successful in one of those conferences.

NDSU is peer institute with Colorado state, Wyoming, New Mexico, San Diego state.

ND is too isolated.

AmsterBison
January 1st, 2013, 06:36 PM
ND is too isolated.

We've heard that one before. :)

This was more of a message to recruits than anything else.

Laker
January 1st, 2013, 07:14 PM
ND is too isolated.

Nah. Hawaii is isolated. Alaska is isolated. NoDak is right up I-94 or I-29. :D

CrazyCat
January 1st, 2013, 07:51 PM
Sounds good guys, but doesnt 8 year extension scream fbs?

Not in my opinion. Give us some reasons how this "screams" FBS.

Thundar
January 1st, 2013, 07:58 PM
Not in my opinion. Give us some reasons how this "screams" FBS.

Delusion......

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2013, 08:29 PM
Nah. Hawaii is isolated. Alaska is isolated. NoDak is right up I-94 or I-29. :D

No, I'm down 1-29 and over on I-70, technically speaking.

Thundar
January 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM
Delusion? Not. Its 8 years, lets face facts, coach bohl is being black balled by his past at Nebraska and not getting any fbs offers when 25 coaches got fired? Taking NDSU fbs is a way for him to shove it up the entire fbs worlds butt. What great motivation for bisonation to succeed in this endeavor.

Black balled?? Have you ever thought he loves what he is doing, loves the school he started coaching at in 1984 and would like to finish here living like a god, making 250k + a year, his son is playing football in town for another university, he has a great staff. Why in the world would you think NDSU is looking to jump to FBS for Bohls benefit, or so he can give a collective F##k you yo BCS schools that would really give a crap less.

If he goes he goes but I'm thinking he loves what's going on here and he has stated many time his 18 yrs in the Bowl series he never got the same feel as playing in the playoffs

swaghook
January 1st, 2013, 08:42 PM
Delusion? Not. Its 8 years, lets face facts, coach bohl is being black balled by his past at Nebraska and not getting any fbs offers when 25 coaches got fired? Taking NDSU fbs is a way for him to shove it up the entire fbs worlds butt. What great motivation for bisonation to succeed in this endeavor.

We don't know if he had offers for starters. NDSU is not looking at FBS now or in the next 8 years IMO. You said it best with the statement of 25 coaches getting fired as another good reason to stay at NDSU, I think he likes the area he has a wife from here not everyone is motivated by the almighty dollar when it also comes with the real possibility of instability. I'm sure every coach in the FBS that he has faced off against as the HC of the Bison has had major respect for him and what he has done for the Bison program.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2013, 08:47 PM
We don't know if he had offers for starters. NDSU is not looking at FBS now or in the next 8 years IMO. You said it best with the statement of 25 coaches getting fired as another good reason to stay at NDSU, I think he likes the area he has a wife from here not everyone is motivated by the almighty dollar when it also comes with the real possibility of instability. I'm sure every coach in the FBS that he has faced off against as the HC of the Bison has had major respect for him and what he has done for the Bison program.

I encourage anyone who thinks he has designs on FBS to go back to the news conference. You could hear the distaste in his voice about FBS.

Thundar
January 1st, 2013, 08:55 PM
I encourage anyone who thinks he has designs on FBS to go back to the news conference. You could hear the distaste in his voice about FBS.

Exactly, and he mentions it every time......unless we have a viable conference with decent teams we won't be FBS in 8 yrs, it all also depends on what the BCS does

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM
Exactly, and he mentions it every time......unless we have a viable conference with decent teams we won't be FBS in 8 yrs, it all also depends on what the BCS does

The BCS is going to determine a lot going forward. It may just shake out where the top just goes and does what it wants and the lower FBS comes back to the FCS and they merge. That is the only scenario in which there would be widespread support to "move up".

JSUBison
January 1st, 2013, 09:17 PM
Black balled?? Have you ever thought he loves what he is doing, loves the school he started coaching at in 1984 and would like to finish here living like a god, making 250k + a year, his son is playing football in town for another university, he has a great staff. Why in the world would you think NDSU is looking to jump to FBS for Bohls benefit, or so he can give a collective F##k you yo BCS schools that would really give a crap less.

If he goes he goes but I'm thinking he loves what's going on here and he has stated many time his 18 yrs in the Bowl series he never got the same feel as playing in the playoffs

I'm currently reading through Bohl's contract, and I see that NDSU covers the cost of tuition for Bohl's son at MSU-Moorhead.

taper
January 1st, 2013, 09:21 PM
If you want bisonation to spread national and gain more fans (outside of ndsu or fargo) you need to be fbs I'm sorry to let you in on this.
The Frisco ticket office hasn't seen any shortage of Bison fans. I wouldn't for an instant trade the FCS playoff atmosphere for today's FBS. Sometimes I think people won't be happy with our schedule until we start playing NFL teams.

citdog
January 1st, 2013, 09:25 PM
If you want bisonation to spread national and gain more fans (outside of ndsu or fargo) you need to be fbs I'm sorry to let you in on this.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RjC4uP7Zxt4/TeUZ1mJY1FI/AAAAAAAACOA/q1wtm3FwZzg/s1600/straight_jacket.jpg

taper
January 1st, 2013, 09:25 PM
Frisco ticket office has no bearing, if anything it proves that bisonation is loyal and will send 10000-15000 fans anywhere !
Exactly. 15k diehards are better than 100k bandwagon fans.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2013, 09:27 PM

If you're talking about your blog. I don't care.

Come to think of it, if you're talking in general, I don't care. NDSU is plenty exposed for me.

citdog
January 2nd, 2013, 12:49 AM
xcoffeex you do realize 75-80% of college football fans don't care or know about fcs football, right?

and that's THEIR loss.

Hammerhead
January 2nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
Even if NDSU magically found itself in the Big Ten, I doubt we would get many more fans who aren't from North Dakota, Minnesota, or South Dakota. Do you think someone in Texas now thinks Northern Illinois is now their 2nd favorite team because they were in the Orange Bowl?

LakesBizun
January 2nd, 2013, 09:28 AM

Lakes, did you get un-banned? Because your new user name fools no one.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Lakes, did you get un-banned? Because your new user name fools no one.

Not gonna lie, that's been my theory too.

totoinfl
January 2nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
That's hilarious....went to the Capital One Bowl yesterday, sat in the Cornhusker section, sporting my Bison gear. A couple of seasoned fans, asked how NDSU was doing this year and one specifically asked about Bohl. Really didn't get they were miffed at him and were quite happy the The Big Red lives on.

344Johnson
January 2nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
That's hilarious....went to the Capital One Bowl yesterday, sat in the Cornhusker section, sporting my Bison gear. A couple of seasoned fans, asked how NDSU was doing this year and one specifically asked about Bohl. Really didn't get they were miffed at him and were quite happy the The Big Red lives on.

This guy you replied to thinks Coach Bohl is being blackballed....? Just because he isn't getting job offers from bigtime elite schools, clearly there is a conspiracy yeah?

Hope you had fun at the game.

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
This guy you replied to thinks Coach Bohl is being blackballed....? Just because he isn't getting job offers from bigtime elite schools, clearly there is a conspiracy yeah?

Hope you had fun at the game.

How do you-we know that he hasnt? He has stated numerous times that he will not discuss that topic with the media.

Twentysix
January 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
How do you-we know that he hasnt? He has stated numerous times that he will not discuss that topic with the media.

Was bohl not in the running for WMU? Was that all message board hype? I don't know why he would take a job like WMU.

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2013, 12:18 PM

Yeah thats what on everyones mind. Wow just wow

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Nope I represent bisonation.com

Best of luck to coach bohl!

Did you ask Ursus if you could post from another user name?

ngineer
January 2nd, 2013, 09:51 PM
I'm sure there are some contingencies if the 'right' BCS job comes a-calling...

ysubigred
January 3rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
WOW!! Way to keep a great coach in our league!! Holly **** what's the chances of NDSU winning the NC 10 years in a row xdontknowx

AmsterBison
January 3rd, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'm sure there are some contingencies if the 'right' BCS job comes a-calling...

If he goes to a BCS school, then the buyout is twice his annual base salary at the time.

IMO, there are only a couple jobs that would be the right fit: A Big 10 or Big 12 school and from Kansas north and from Wisconsin east.

BisonCM
January 3rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
WOW!! Way to keep a great coach in our league!! Holly **** what's the chances of NDSU winning the NC 10 years in a row xdontknowx

Possibly zero chance by 4:00 on Saturday.

Southern Bison
January 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM

With Bohl here for the next 8 years and his talent in recruiting, I could see us pass App St. (3), Youngstown St. (4), and reach for GaSo's current record of 6. Will it happen consecutively? Doubtful, but we'll have a presence in the playoffs each year.

AppAlum2003
January 3rd, 2013, 06:07 PM
With Bohl here for the next 8 years and his talent in recruiting, I could see us pass App St. (3), Youngstown St. (4), and reach for GaSo's current record of 6. Will it happen consecutively? Doubtful, but we'll have a presence in the playoffs each year.

According to my math, every single school in FCS has a chance to win at least 6 championships in the next 8 years. Well, except Western. Never Western.

Grizo406
January 3rd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Wonder what it would cost the University of Montana to get Bohl to coach the Griz?

MR. CHICKEN
January 3rd, 2013, 11:16 PM
17458.....HAIR PIECE/SIX DROOLS........AN'...URSUS'S...TREE STAND....xdontknowx...AWK!