View Full Version : While Bowls Struggle To Sell Out, FCS Championship Sells Out In Days

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/680-while-bowls-struggle-to-sell-out-fcs-championship-sells-out-in-days

unknown3
December 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
This comparison is nothing short of hilarious.xlolx

darell1976
December 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
Get rid of the worthless bowls and have a damn playoff.

Hammerhead
December 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM
I guess people don't care about the "hey, you don't have a losing record" bowls between mediocre teams.

For example, the MEINEKE CAR CARE BOWL OF TEXAS features Minnsota vs. Texas Tech -- teams with a combined winning percentage of .541 for the season and .353 in the respective conferences.

darell1976
December 21st, 2012, 03:27 PM
I guess people don't care about the "hey, you don't have a losing record" bowls between mediocre teams.

For example, the MEINEKE CAR CARE BOWL OF TEXAS features Minnsota vs. Texas Tech -- teams with a combined winning percentage of .541 for the season and .353 in the respective conferences.

Wonder how many Gopher fans will make that trip? Is there hockey that night?

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Wonder how many Gopher fans will make that trip? Is there hockey that night?
This should tell you all you need to know about the "excitement" Goopher nation has about going to a bowl game: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/183447871.html?refer=y

As of Wednesday (12/12), Minnesota had sold about 2,000 tickets to the Dec. 28 game in Houston, almost double the number it moved for its last bowl trip, and had sold out one charter flight for boosters with plans to hire another.

"We're reasonably happy with where we're at," athletic department spokesman Garry Bowman said....

The university sold just over 1,000 tickets to the 2009 Insight Bowl in Tempe, Ariz., Bowman said, and just under 2,000 for the 2008 Insight Bowl, so "this is about what we expected, maybe a little stronger. And we're not done."
Basically, NDSU will easily sell more tickets for this year's FCS title game than Minnesota has for their last 3 bowl games combined.

darell1976
December 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM
This should tell you all you need to know about the "excitement" Goopher nation has about going to a bowl game: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/183447871.html?refer=y

Basically, NDSU will easily sell more tickets for this year's FCS title game than Minnesota has for their last 3 bowl games combined.

Gophers host Air Force in hockey on the 29th, and the basketball team hosts Michigan State on the 31st, but nothing on the 28th. They don't care about a no-name bowl.

Laker
December 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
Most people in Minnesota are not going to get excited about getting a butt kicking from Texas Tech. They should eliminate over half of the bowls. And no team that is 6-6 (or worse, 6-7) should be eligible for a bowl game. But like was already said- have a real playoff.

If you gave me a choice of going to the Gopher game or the Bison game there is no doubt that I'd go to the meaningful game.

kdinva
December 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Fine points of argument by all..........but, if the FCS title game were in a 40,000 seat venue, would IT sell out. That is what the 1-A apologists would point out......

darell1976
December 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Most people in Minnesota are not going to get excited about getting a butt kicking from Texas Tech. They should eliminate over half of the bowls. And no team that is 6-6 (or worse, 6-7) should be eligible for a bowl game. But like was already said- have a real playoff.

If you gave me a choice of going to the Gopher game or the Bison game there is no doubt that I'd go to the meaningful game.

Gophers could play NDSU in a bowl game and the crowd will be 90% NDSU. Unless its for a Big 10 title Minny won't show.

Laker
December 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM
Fine points of argument by all..........but, if the FCS title game were in a 40,000 seat venue, would IT sell out. That is what the 1-A apologists would point out......

I don't know if it would- but I bet that there would be 30,000 Bison fans there.

darell1976
December 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM

Depends on the teams in it, and the distance. NDSU travels really well so it could be in Europe and at least half if not more will be green and yellow. But I guess attendance wasn't that good a couple years ago in Frisco so it all depends on the teams and their fanbase.

frozennorth
December 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
1) ticket through the school are more expensive, so most tickets are sold on the secondary market
2) these games are made TV
3) even the whogivesa****bowl gets similar ratings to the nhl finals
4) schools lose money on their individual games because most conferences pool bowl money, I think every school makes money off the bowl system.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
Depends on the teams in it, and the distance. NDSU travels really well so it could be in Europe and at least half if not more will be green and yellow. But I guess attendance wasn't that good a couple years ago in Frisco so it all depends on the teams and their fanbase.

Right here is all that needs to be said.

There are only a few FCS fanbases that travel as well as the Bison. If two other teams were playing, the game would have 13K, like the EWU/Delaware game 2 yrs ago....or less.

UNH Fanboi
December 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Right here is all that needs to be said.

There are only a few FCS fanbases that travel as well as the Bison. If two other teams were playing, the game would have 13K, like the EWU/Delaware game 2 yrs ago....or less.

Yes. Imagine a Wofford-Cal Poly final.

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2012, 06:34 PM

If it were two smaller schools, or one that wasn't four hours from Frisco, would it sell out? Cal-Poly and Wofford might actually draw some people. Put another way, if this was Cal Poly and Wagner, would anyone expect more than 6,000?

Having seen the crowd at Delaware-EWU, the choice of teams makes a big difference.

BucBisonAtLarge
December 21st, 2012, 08:58 PM
I think there is a building demand for tickets, away from whoever the combatants are. Last year I had a pretty lackadaisical attitude toward maybe snagging a coupla tickets, and got shut out. This year I was paying attention to when the tickets went on sale, and chose that day not to get them. Frisco will be fine for a few more years, but hopefully not for much longer.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2012, 08:59 PM
The "home crowd argument" certainly is a fair point. This extend into the bowl world, where the Cotton and Rose Bowls always have excellent chances of having local teams play there. This year, both the Cotton and Rose do, and unsurprisingly, those are the games/teams that are expected to make a profit for its schools.

MplsBison
December 21st, 2012, 09:01 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/680-while-bowls-struggle-to-sell-out-fcs-championship-sells-out-in-days

And yet every single bowl with the exception of two (and only because they're head to head with larger bowls) is on ESPN (not 2, the main channel).

Huh. If only the FCS national championship game had the same kind of media attention as the Famous Idaho Potato bowl...

clenz
December 21st, 2012, 09:49 PM
PHP capacity 20,500

Capacity of the smaller bowl game stadiums

Go-Daddy - 34,000
Idaho Potato Bowl - 37,000
New Mexico Bowl - 39,000
MAACO Bowl - 40,000
Beef O'Brady's - 40,000 ish
Fight Hunger Bowl - 40,800
Armed Forces Bowl 45,000
Hawaii Bowl - 50,000
Independence Bowl - 53,000

The rest of the bowls are played in 60K seat stadiums....with a good majority of those over 66-70k. Yeah, I wonder why they struggle to sell 3 times as many tickets for a low level bowl game between a coupe 7 or 8 win teams that finished 3rd or 4th in the conference as opposed to the NATIONAL TITLE GAME for the level played in a 20k seat stadium.

PHP wouldn't hold the smallest bowl game.

xcoach2
December 21st, 2012, 10:22 PM
I think the exclusivity of the whole deal just added to the experience last year. The stadium is just about right and Frisco has just enough to accomodate for a couple of days. Wish' we could get it in Houston. We have a similar but newer soccer stadium and ours is downtown (whereas Frisco is in the burbs). Plus, the weather is usually a little warmer this time of year.

ngineer
December 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM
The "crowd" at the "Beef O'Brady Bowl" was pitiful and the virtually empty stadium looked horrible tonight. Unbelieveable that the 'bowl people' can make money.

asumike83
December 21st, 2012, 11:09 PM
Whether it is an FCS title game or a lower-tier FBS bowl, it is nearly 100% dependent on who gets there in a particular year. You could have heard a pin drop in the Ball State/UCF game tonight but ULL/ECU have sold close to 50K for their game tomorrow.

Due to the proximity of SHSU and traveling fans of NDSU, the past two years have drawn very well. The three years that Appalachian played in Chattanooga, the stadium was also packed. Those are the only title games since 1999 that have had attendance over 20K.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM
Yeah but the FCS title is in nowheresville, Texas where as if App played in the St Petersburg bowl, we could be here

xcoach2
December 21st, 2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah but the FCS title is in nowheresville, Texas where as if App played in the St Petersburg bowl, we could be here

While Frisco is in the burbs it is far from nowheresville. It's a fairly affluent community with just enough to entertain for 2-3 days (which is all you need). Doubt' the Bison fans will disagree.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM
While Frisco is in the burbs it is far from nowheresville. It's a fairly affluent community with just enough to entertain for 2-3 days (which is all you need). Doubt' the Bison fans will disagree.

I'd still rather be in Florida. Now New Orleans... ewwwwhhh

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2012, 11:52 PM
The "crowd" at the "Beef O'Brady Bowl" was pitiful and the virtually empty stadium looked horrible tonight. Unbelieveable that the 'bowl people' can make money.

The bowls make money, it's the schools that are on the hook.

Bison89
December 22nd, 2012, 12:09 AM
It would be fun to see a NDSU - Montana championship game played in Denver Mile High stadium, I think we could fill that.

TheBisonator
December 22nd, 2012, 01:04 AM

If the NDSU/SHSU championship was in a 40,000-seat stadium, I'm sure there would be a good 30-35,000 at the game.

frozennorth
December 22nd, 2012, 01:09 AM
if the championship game was at the metrodome, i have no doubt NDSU would fill it.

katstrapper
December 22nd, 2012, 07:10 AM

There is no need to put the FCS game in a 40k stadium because FCS genius's know that it wouldnt sell out in a venue that big. I think FCS Dallas stadium is an awesome venue for this game. It was loud last year, tons of energy and a great game. Not to mention that the community of Frisco has really embraced this game.

FBS Bowl games have become a joke, just like the BCS. I think the FCS brand of football has gained more attention the last 5 years, due to conference re-alignments and the number of bowl games being out of control. Example last night, did anyone really give a sh^t about the BEEF O BRADY BOWL, Ball St vs Central Florida ? What the hell is Beef O Brady anyway?

marenlee
December 22nd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Don't forget that in years past the championship game was played immediately following the semis. Hard to fill seats on that short notice at a neutral site. Give any decent fanbase the travel prep time there is now and we can be seeing some good crowds for a while.

katstrapper
December 22nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
Don't forget that in years past the championship game was played immediately following the semis. Hard to fill seats on that short notice at a neutral site. Give any decent fanbase the travel prep time there is now and we can be seeing some good crowds for a while.

good point too.

marenlee
December 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM

You should read the article. It's not trying to compare ticket sales to bowl games.

Laker
December 22nd, 2012, 08:10 AM
Example last night, did anyone really give a sh^t about the BEEF O BRADY BOWL, Ball St vs Central Florida ? What the hell is Beef O Brady anyway?

Oh come on! That game had my undivided attention until halftime. Except for when I fell asleep on the couch in the first quarter. And the second quarter. And called my buddy to thank him for the gift certificate. And the entire second half when I watched the movie "Red" about a dog. Other than that.........xsmiley_wix

asumike83
December 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
if the championship game was at the metrodome, i have no doubt NDSU would fill it.

The 65,000 seat Metrodome? Ok...

Laker
December 22nd, 2012, 10:13 AM

Unless there was a superstorm, I bet that there would be over 40,000 there. Not a long drive from Fargo, lots of Dakota people living in the Twin Cities, lots of people in Minnesota who would like to see a good college football game that meant something.

asumike83
December 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
Unless there was a superstorm, I bet that there would be over 40,000 there. Not a long drive from Fargo, lots of Dakota people living in the Twin Cities, lots of people in Minnesota who would like to see a good college football game that meant something.

I don't doubt that, it'd be like App playing a title game in Charlotte. 1/2 or 2/3 full is realistic, filling an NFL stadium... not so much.

AmsterBison
December 22nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Frisco does a great job and, in my opinion, a full stadium with standing room only is a much better showcase for the FCS than a larger stadium that is 3/4 full.

Metrodome, though? Yeah, NDSU could sell that baby out.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
PHP capacity 20,500

Capacity of the smaller bowl game stadiums

Go-Daddy - 34,000
Idaho Potato Bowl - 37,000
New Mexico Bowl - 39,000
MAACO Bowl - 40,000
Beef O'Brady's - 40,000 ish
Fight Hunger Bowl - 40,800
Armed Forces Bowl 45,000
Hawaii Bowl - 50,000
Independence Bowl - 53,000

The rest of the bowls are played in 60K seat stadiums....with a good majority of those over 66-70k. Yeah, I wonder why they struggle to sell 3 times as many tickets for a low level bowl game between a coupe 7 or 8 win teams that finished 3rd or 4th in the conference as opposed to the NATIONAL TITLE GAME for the level played in a 20k seat stadium.

PHP wouldn't hold the smallest bowl game.

Great point!

This is exactly the correct context that LFN purposefully left out. Nothing more than anti-I-A propaganda. Shut it down.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM

The schools still pay for X amount of tickets, even if no fan eventually buys them.

One guarantee is that the bowl game itself makes money. Else they wouldn't do it.

The schools may not make money or may lose money, but the bowl makes money.

citdog
December 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
ndsu should just play their home games when michigan plays on the road.

marenlee
December 22nd, 2012, 12:15 PM

Very feasible. Last time ndsu played in the metrodome against the gophers there were 20k + bison fans. And that's being conservative. On top of that it was in 2007 while the bison were still in transition so it was a meaningless regular season game. But this is a hypothetical situation anyways :p

Laker
December 22nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Very feasible. Last time ndsu played in the metrodome against the gophers there were 20k + bison fans. And that's being conservative. On top of that it was in 2007 while the bison were still in transition so it was a meaningless regular season game. But this is a hypothetical situation anyways :p

Biggest crowds for Gopher home games seem to be when they play Iowa, Wisconsin, or a Dakota school. They should schedule a Dakota school for non-conference every year. I was in Williams Arena a couple of weeks ago for the SDSU game- Wolters was out with a sprained ankle, but there were still quite a few Jacks fans there.

frozennorth
December 22nd, 2012, 12:37 PM

i believe a majority of NDSU's living alumni live in fargo, a quick drive from the twin cities, or the twin cities themselves. For both gopher/bison games there were 25k+ there. Being on the east coast, there are many more places for your alumni to spread to. Not so much around here, most north dakotans move to fargo or MSP after graduation.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Biggest crowds for Gopher home games seem to be when they play Iowa, Wisconsin, or a Dakota school. They should schedule a Dakota school for non-conference every year. I was in Williams Arena a couple of weeks ago for the SDSU game- Wolters was out with a sprained ankle, but there were still quite a few Jacks fans there.

Kill hates NDSU.

Not just because we beat them in TCF in 2011, to a majority NDSU home crowd (not a lie). And not just at the game but also outnumbered them at tailgating, at least out by the fairgrounds, which literally was Bison City. Now of course up by TCF, you can only get those spots if you're a Gophers booster...but out by the fairgrounds, my goodness!

He actually fears NDSU for what it could become. We could literally be the Boise to their Oregon State...or something like that.

I do not expect NDSU to ever be scheduled again so long as he is the coach. Maybe USD and SDSU, where it's not quite the same thing...and as for UND, maybe they'll get their one chance because of the hockey rivalry. But not ever NDSU again, while he's there.

asumike83
December 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
i believe a majority of NDSU's living alumni live in fargo, a quick drive from the twin cities, or the twin cities themselves. For both gopher/bison games there were 25k+ there. Being on the east coast, there are many more places for your alumni to spread to. Not so much around here, most north dakotans move to fargo or MSP after graduation.

More than half this crowd was NDSU, meaning Minnesota had just over 20K fans at a home game?

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6169/6183711553_fa6a16e99d_z.jpg

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=312670135

Bison fans accounted for perhaps one-fourth of the 48,000-plus crowd, and NDSU even brought its full band.

Laker
December 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Kill hates NDSU.
I do not expect NDSU to ever be scheduled again so long as he is the coach. Maybe USD and SDSU, where it's not quite the same thing...and as for UND, maybe they'll get their one chance because of the hockey rivalry. But not ever NDSU again, while he's there.

I think it would be ironic if the rumors of North Carolina joining the Big Ten would come true, after UM payed $800.000 to get out of that contract. They they would have to play the Tarheels.

Twentysix
December 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
More than half this crowd was NDSU?

Both schools wore yellow. Minnesota wore maroon and yellow and ndsu wore green and yellow. I do doubt 1/2 the crowd though, we tailgated with alot of people who didn't have tickets to the game.

asumike83
December 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Both schools wore yellow. Minnesota wore maroon and yellow and ndsu wore green and yellow. I do doubt 1/2 the crowd though, we tailgated with alot of people who didn't have tickets to the game.

Impressive either way to have that kind of crowd on the road against a Big Ten school. I just question the 25K figure because that'd mean Minnesota only had 23K of their own fans at a home game.

Still, I'd love to have that kind of showing at a UNC, NC State, etc. I think Duke is the only school that would allow that kind of takeover though.

darell1976
December 22nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Kill hates NDSU.

Not just because we beat them in TCF in 2011, to a majority NDSU home crowd (not a lie). And not just at the game but also outnumbered them at tailgating, at least out by the fairgrounds, which literally was Bison City. Now of course up by TCF, you can only get those spots if you're a Gophers booster...but out by the fairgrounds, my goodness!

He actually fears NDSU for what it could become. We could literally be the Boise to their Oregon State...or something like that.

Now that the nickname issue is over Minnesota is now free to play UND in all sports (Minnesota policy was not to schedule a team with a nickname on the NCAA's hostile and abusive list" outside of conference play), but with the success of NDSU (twice) and South Dakota against the Gophers football team they may be hesitant against more Dakota teams.

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
More than half this crowd was NDSU, meaning Minnesota had just over 20K fans at a home game?

It wasn't more than half, that article is pretty accurate. I'd say 35-40% Bison fans. It was closer to half and half when they played at the Metrodome but this was a night game in the third year of the new stadium where the stadium itself was probably just as much of an attraction as the team for Gopher fans so tickets were tougher for NDSU fans to snatch up.

Twentysix
December 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Impressive either way to have that kind of crowd on the road against a Big Ten school. I just question the 25K figure because that'd mean Minnesota only had 23K of their own fans at a home game.

Still, I'd love to have that kind of showing at a UNC, NC State, etc. I think Duke is the only school that would allow that kind of takeover though.

I'd believe 15k in the game, 25k in the tailgate lot. Ofc there is no way to substantiate any numbers aside from just guessing. According to some of the gopher fans tailgating at the fairgrounds with us, NDSU out tailgated Wisconsin when UW plays UM in minneapolis. Alot of people at a game like that have ties to both schools.

Laker
December 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM

As someone who has suffered through forty five years without a Big Ten championship, I can tell you- this is a Vikings state. The average age of the non-student Gopher fan way older than me, and I'm 58. I think that the % of students who attend games is the lowest in the Big Ten. Before the MetroDome was built, old Memorial Stadium was not full, even on nice days against great opponents. The Dome was supposed to solve all the problems. Then that didn't fill up either, and that was blamed on not being on campus. Bunch of crap, I walked further to the Bank (TCF) than to the Dome. After the first year they still couldn't fill it. I was there this year for the New Hampshire and Western Michigan games. It was embarrassing to be only about half full for those games. And they announce tickets sold, not those in attendance.

DFW HOYA
December 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM

You may have not seen Texas "at" Rice (Reliant Stadium). Find the blue in the crowd:

https://culturemedia.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/37/0b/370bb59885bf5643bea53252af6cbc71.jpg

WataugaDave
December 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a case for staying in FCS to me.

FargoBison
December 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM

There was 25k Bison fans at the game in the metrodome in 2007, there was maybe 10-11k at the game at TCF but some of that was due to availability.

woffordgrad94
December 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Yes. Imagine a Wofford-Cal Poly final.

I would be there, and I would take 100 friends with me. And by the way, it isn't like New Hampshire would bring a Chinese army to Frisco either. After all, Wofford outbid you this year for a home game.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
I think it would be ironic if the rumors of North Carolina joining the Big Ten would come true, after UM payed $800.000 to get out of that contract. They they would have to play the Tarheels.

If that happened, I'd demand a refund!

But I think UNC is the least likely. I would like to see Virginia go, though. Maybe Georgia Tech. Love to be guaranteed of having BTN in Atlanta! :D

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2012, 01:57 PM

Well..consider this. Minnesota made their fans purchase NDSU home game tickets in order to purchase Iowa home game tickets that year.

So you have a bunch of Minnesota fans who generally don't give a s___t about home games except against local Big Ten teams. So they sell those tickets on the cheap, over the internet to whomever will buy them - which happened to be a lot of NDSU fans!

AppAlum2003
December 22nd, 2012, 02:03 PM
Wow, you guys are cracking me up. Thanks for the laugh!

NDSU averages 18,500 a game. Yes, I understand the stadium has a limited capacity, but are there 21,000 fans all looking for a seat? I know there's nothing to do in South Canada, but this circlejerk is getting out of hand.

Bisonoline
December 22nd, 2012, 02:05 PM

NDSU averages 18,500 a game. Yes, I understand the stadium has a limited capacity, but are there 21,000 fans all looking for a seat? I know there's nothing to do in South Canada, but this circlejerk is getting out of hand.

South Canada is actually 85 miles to the north.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2012, 02:10 PM

Instead of chuckling mindlessly, think about it for a second.

There are thousands of NDSU alumni (don't know the exact number, but I would guess more than 100k) living in the twin cities. Fargo is a 3-4 hour drive away. And unless you bought a season ticket or know someone, it actually can be tough to get a ticket to a Bison home game.

So...the result is most of them (myself included) don't drive to Fargo very often for games. But when the opportunity arises to see them in Mpls, that's a different story.

And it was especially different in 2006/2007 when, due to the Metrodome, there literally were 30k tickets available for those games.

Neighbor2
December 22nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
NDSU -

You guys are so full of yourselves, the rest of us feel like targets for your vomit. Tune it back a notch. Please!

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
NDSU -

You guys are so full of yourselves, the rest of us feel like targets for your vomit. Tune it back a notch. Please!

You posting here in this thread is analogous to you willfully stepping in front of the vomit spray, then getting mad that you got vomited on.

Neighbor2
December 22nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
So, that's what this board is all about?

xcrazyx

Bisonoline
December 22nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Pretty good game at the New Orleans Bowl. Good match up.

Neighbor2
December 22nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
That's an EXCELLENT game! Have it on now. UL-L is a very dangerous team. Not sure who I'd rather see win this thing. Probably EC, since they get belittled so much. Kinda like rooting for Lehigh.

Bisonoline
December 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
That's an EXCELLENT game! Have it on now. UL-L is a very dangerous team. Not sure who I'd rather see win this thing. Probably EC, since they get belittled so much. Kinda like rooting for Lehigh.

Very entertaining.

Neighbor2
December 22nd, 2012, 02:47 PM
To me, this is why the bowls exist, to extend the beauty of college football. Without a formal playoff, however, there will always be that mystery. Who really is the best? To some extent, I really don't care!

cbarrier90
December 22nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
48000 there...but bowls don't mean anything to anyone, and the sun belt is full of apathetic fan bases, and no one watched this game, and no one wants to go to New Orleans...

Bisonoline
December 22nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
48000 there...but bowls don't mean anything to anyone, and the sun belt is full of apathetic fan bases, and no one watched this game, and no one wants to go to New Orleans...

xchinscratchx ??????????????????????????

Hmmmmm. I watched the game. It meant something to the fans. If my teams went to a bowl game in NO I would certainly go.

cbarrier90
December 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
xchinscratchx ??????????????????????????

Hmmmmm. I watched the game. It meant something to the fans. If my teams went to a bowl game in NO I would certainly go.

You know, I didn't think my sarcasm was that difficult to pick up...

Bisonoline
December 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
You know, I didn't think my sarcasm was that difficult to pick up...

:Dxsmiley_wix

MarkyMark
December 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Now that the nickname issue is over Minnesota is now free to play UND in all sports (Minnesota policy was not to schedule a team with a nickname on the NCAA's hostile and abusive list" outside of conference play), but with the success of NDSU (twice) and South Dakota against the Gophers football team they may be hesitant against more Dakota teams.

MN just recently booked SDSU for a couple games in the future. Maybe an SDSU fan can fill in the years.

MN won't reschedule Bison again anytime soon. They are looking for their 6 wins to get to another boring bowl game. SDSU was good enough to beat the Gophers this year.

MarkyMark
December 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
[/QUOTE]So you have a bunch of Minnesota fans who generally don't give a s___t about home games except against local Big Ten teams. So they sell those tickets on the cheap, over the internet to whomever will buy them - which happened to be a lot of NDSU fans[/QUOTE]

My ticket wasn't cheap, I think we paid $120 each through Stubhub.

Laker
December 22nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
So you have a bunch of Minnesota fans who generally don't give a s___t about home games except against local Big Ten teams. So they sell those tickets on the cheap, over the internet to whomever will buy them - which happened to be a lot of NDSU fans[/QUOTE]

My ticket wasn't cheap, I think we paid $120 each through Stubhub.[/QUOTE]

Were they decent seats? Otherwise you might have been better off getting the cheapest season tickets or a package deal and selling the tickets for the other games online.

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2012, 04:24 PM
NDSU averages 18,500 a game. Yes, I understand the stadium has a limited capacity, but are there 21,000 fans all looking for a seat?
Yes, there will be a waiting list for season tickets starting this offseason as they capped season tickets at 12,500 last year. Single game tickets sold out in less than 2 days once they went on sale. NDSU would've averaged 21,000 fans this year if we had the seating capacity.

MarkyMark
December 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
So you have a bunch of Minnesota fans who generally don't give a s___t about home games except against local Big Ten teams. So they sell those tickets on the cheap, over the internet to whomever will buy them - which happened to be a lot of NDSU fans

My ticket wasn't cheap, I think we paid $120 each through Stubhub.[/QUOTE]

Were they decent seats? Otherwise you might have been better off getting the cheapest season tickets or a package deal and selling the tickets for the other games online.[/QUOTE]

On the 50, half way up the upper deck which we bought in Aug., we could have done better if we waited. I think MN sold out of season tickets in 2011 but I could be wrong.

woffordgrad94
December 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3n0vBcW5fc