PDA

View Full Version : THE ICON's 2006 Football articles

MACHIAVELLI
August 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
DEFENDING SWAC CHAMPIONS SET TO BEGIN WORKOUTS

GRAMBLING, La. - Third-year head coach Melvin Spears will welcome 90 players to campus on Sunday evening as Grambling State University prepares to begin its 80th season of football.

The team’s opening practice is set for Monday, Aug. 7 at 2:30 p.m. at the Robinson Stadium field house practice field. The Tigers will practice once daily from Aug. 7 through Aug. 11 and will begin two-a-day workouts every other day starting on Saturday, Aug. 12 at 8:45 a.m. On Saturday, Aug. 19, the Tigers will host their annual Fan Day at 4 p.m. The day will provide fans and media an opportunity to interact with members of the coaching staff, football team and department of athletics staff.

The Sheridan Broadcasting Network Champion Tigers have a tough slate ahead of them as they open the 2006 season with a nationally televised contest on ESPN2 against MEAC champion Hampton University. The contest, dubbed the Ford MEAC-SWAC Challenge, is scheduled for an 11 a.m. kickoff on Sept. 2 at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala. The following weekend, Grambling State will return to the state of Alabama and square off against Alabama A&M, last season’s SWAC Title game opponent and preseason favorite to capture the SWAC East.

On Sept. 16, the Tigers will travel to Houston for the first of two trips to the city to face the University of Houston, which marks the second consecutive season and fourth time this decade the Tigers will battle a Division I opponent. After a bye weekend on Sept. 23, the Tigers will venture back to Texas on Sept. 30 for the annual State Fair Classic in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl against the Panthers of Prairie View A&M.

Even though the Tigers lost record-setting quarterback Bruce Eugene and defensive end Jason Hatcher, who was selected in the third round of the NFL Draft, the Tigers will feature nine players on the 2006 roster whom received preseason honors,

The offense, which returns eight starters, is headlined by senior wide receiver Henry Tolbert, rated the No. 4 receiver in Division I-AA by The Sports Network. In addition to the ranking, the 5-11, 205 pound senior from Birmingham, Ala. was recently named to Don Hansen’s Football Gazette I-AA Preseason All-American First Team. The owner of the single-season school record for touchdown catches (19), Tolbert also earned second team preseason All-American honors by The Sports Network and Lindy’s Magazine.

Also earning preseason honors on offense are fellow receiver Clyde Edwards (First-Team All-SWAC), running back Ab Kuuan (Second-Team All-SWAC) and the offensive line trio of Andre’ Bennett (First-Team All-SWAC), Tavarous Cockrell (Second-Team All-SWAC) and Derrek Governor (Second-Team All-SWAC). In addition, quarterback Brandon Landers, the SWAC’s Freshman of the Year in 2004, will also return to the field after redshirting last season.

Grambling State returns six starters on the defensive side of the ball from a unit that ranked second in the SWAC and 24th among I-AA teams. The Tigers are led on defense by All-SWAC Preseason First-Team honorees Dimitri Carr, Greg Fassitt and Melvin Matthews. Last season, Carr led the Tigers with 99 tackles at linebacker (16 tackles for loss) while Fassitt recorded 15 pass breakups and three interceptions at the cornerback spot. As a true freshman on the defensive line, Matthews accumulated 27 tackles and 4.5 sacks.

Along with the return of safety DeMichael Dizer, the Tigers are also expecting an influx of talented newcomers at both the defensive line and defensive back positions to add depth and provide quality competition during fall drills.

MACHIAVELLI
August 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Snow in Grambling
Corner's back
Grambling great Albert "Snow" Lewis returns to help coach secondary
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]
GRAMBLING — He got out of his car, this unassuming figure in a gold T-shirt, and walked onto the practice field.

Then former Grambling State great Albert Lewis started working with the defensive backs.

Just like that, the game changed.

“Having him around was amazing,” said cornerback Bakari Guice, the zippy former Wossman wide receiver. “He’s somebody who can immediately help us dominate in the secondary.”

Tuesday afternoon’s conversations with players focused on the basics, then Lewis happily dove into breaking down practice video and sketching out defensive looks with the staff.
“It’s my first day, so I’m still getting a feel for the scheme,” said Lewis, who gave no timetable for how long he’d be on hand during these fall sessions.

“I mostly worked with them on technique,” he said, “but after I get in some more film work, I’ll delve into the terminology.”

Lewis, inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame two years ago, recorded a staggering 42 interceptions, 123 passed defensed, 13 sacks and 13 forced fumbles during a 225-game NFL career at Kansas City and then Oakland.

Lewis later began a successful career breeding quarter horses before becoming an assistant with the San Diego Chargers.

He has some working knowledge of the current group of GSU defensive backs, having dropped in on the program’s practice sessions last spring.

THE REST:
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.../60809001/1006

MACHIAVELLI
August 22nd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Grambling State refuses to rest on 2005 accolades
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — There won't be any laurel resting at Grambling State this year.
GSU coach Melvin Spears ripped into his team after its first fall practice on Monday, demanding that his players put aside the pride that goes with 2005's Southwestern Athletic Conference title.

"To defend your championship, you've got to keep raising your game — and leave your egos in the dorm," said Spears, whose Tigers fashioned an 11-1 record last season. "Some of you were on a different page out there. Don't think you are better than you are." The remarks came after a grueling session that ran more than half-an-hour long.
Temperatures soared above 100 on the parched practice field, with the only relief coming in the form of a few gathering clouds as the sessions broke up.

"The good Lord blessed us late," said senior offensive lineman Jamar Dorsey.

In between, the individual units were run through drill after drill, with repetition and a demanding sense of urgency acting as a theme.

"We don't walk on this field!" yelled GSU defensive coordinator Luther Palmer as the linebackers and linemen shuffled between exercises.

Even the well-conditioned guys like Georgia Tech transfer LaKeldrick "Burner" Bridges were hit hard by the searing heat.

"The sun is just draining me," Bridges said at one point during drills.

[URL=http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200608]http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/SPORTS/608080342/1006

MACHIAVELLI
August 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
TIGERS RETURN TO THE FIELD FOR SECOND WEEK OF PRACTICE

GRAMBLING, La. – The Grambling State University Tiger football team returned to practice Monday morning for their second set of two-a-day practices after having Sunday off.

During the morning session, the Tigers went through a series of drills along with game situations before closing out practice with a scrimmage. Several hours later, the team returned to the field and went through a second round of position drills before giving way to 7-on-7 between the wide receivers and defensive backs. Once those drills were completed, the Tigers spent the latter part of practice focusing on special teams.

“I thought the players came out today full of energy this morning and performed well in the afternoon under the sun,” said head coach Melvin Spears.

With the abundance of depth and talent at wide receiver, defensive back and defensive line, one unit that has quietly flown under the radar during camp are the linebackers. Coached by former Grambling State standout Andre’ Robinson, the unit returns two starters from last season along with several promising sophomores who received extensive playing time last season.

“The linebackers are doing an excellent job,” said Spears. “They’re outstanding athletes who can fly to the ball.”

On the field, the unit is led by senior middle linebacker Dimitri Carr. A 6-2, 232 pound senior from Farmerville, La., Carr led the Tigers with 99 tackles and six sacks last season. He’ll be joined fellow starter Joshua Bester (58 tackles) and returning lettermen David Hicks (25 tackles), John Carter (11 tackles) and Keefe Hall (8 tackles). Newcomers expected to contribute immediately this fall are sophomore Brandon Sam and incoming freshman Charlie Brewer of Macon, Miss.

“Charlie Brewer can flat out play,” stated Spears. “I’m excited about him along with a couple of other players we’re expecting this fall.”

Spears said he’ll continue to utilize a rotation system to take advantage of the unit’s depth.

“We’re going to rotate as often as possible,” said Spears. “We’re in the business to make sure all of our guys participate and the only way we can continue to play our fast break style of football is to rotate players in and out.”

Grambling State returns to the field for a single practice on Tuesday, Aug. 15 at 2:30 p.m. The Tigers will also hold their annual fan and media day activities this Saturday, Aug. 19, at the Robinson Stadium Support Facility.

MACHIAVELLI
August 23rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
TOLBERT DETERMINED TO STAY ON TOP

GRAMBLING, La. – Grambling State University senior wide receiver Henry Tolbert burst on the national scene last season with an outstanding performance on the gridiron that saw him rack up 1,391 receiving yards and 19 touchdowns. For his efforts on the field, he was recognized by several national publications as one of the top wide receivers in Division I-AA and once again, the national media took notice this summer as Tolbert racked up a impressive preseason resume’.

As the Grambling State University Tigers prepare to defend their 2005 SWAC Championship, Tolbert enters the season ranked as the No. 4 receiver in Division I-AA by The Sports Network and a member of Don Hansen’s Football Gazette I-AA Preseason All-American First Team.

In addition, the Birmingham, Ala. native holds the single-season school record for touchdown catches (19) and also earned second team preseason I-AA All-American honors by The Sports Network and Lindy’s Magazine. However, one thing that stands out on Tolbert’s resume’ is the lack of postseason honors by his own conference.

Despite leading the SWAC in four offensive categories in addition to ranking nationally in several categories, Tolbert was voted second-team All-SWAC last season and wasn’t selected as the SWAC’s 2006 Preseason Player of the Year. Even though Tolbert didn’t receive the proper recognition from the SWAC players his caliber usually receive, he said it doesn’t bother him.

“I got over it last year after the second team snub and the only thing I’m focused on now is trying to win another SWAC Championship for the team and getting ready for the next level,” Tolbert said. “It’s not really an issue for me right now.”

Grambling State University head coach Melvin Spears echoed Tolbert’s thoughts.

“He comes week-in and week-out and tries to put on a show,” stated Spears. “He has a little chip on his shoulder with the lack of recognition but that just motivates him to work harder. Henry is a guy that works hard everyday and doesn’t really worry about what others folks think of him.”

Tolbert stepped on the campus of Grambling State in 2002 as a running back from Birmingham, Ala. powerhouse Parker High School. Serving as offensive coordinator at the time, Spears didn’t know what to expect from Tolbert during his redshirt season.

“Henry came in as a running back weighing only 165 pounds,” he said. “He didn’t talk a lot when he first arrived but he was a real worker on the field and has matured tremendously. He’s now six-feet tall weighing over 200 pounds who can run in the low 4.4s.”

Tolbert was quick to dedicate his transition to receiver due to the work put in by the coaching staff.

“I have to give credit to the coaching staff, mainly Coach (Sammie) White and Coach Spears, because they worked me out at receiver during my redshirt year,” said Tolbert. “I played running back as a redshirt freshman but when they asked me to move to receiver during my sophomore year it was an easy transition because I knew everything the position offered. It was foresight on their part because they saw me as a wide receiver and when they called my number, I was ready.”

In typical Grambling State fashion, Tolbert has a burning desire to pass on what he’s learned to the talented young group of receivers the Tigers possess.

“One thing I’ve learned is that if you can’t teach others to do what you can do, then you haven’t really accomplished anything,” Tolbert said. “After I leave, I still want Grambling to be one of the best teams in the country so that’s why I’m doing my best to teach the younger guys everything I know. I want them to build on what I’m trying to pass on so they can have the opportunity to be even better than me.”

Even though Tolbert possesses a modest spirit, the business management graduate wants to close out his career as a Tiger with a bang.

“I’m not that far away from becoming the all-time leading receiver at Grambling State,” said Tolbert. “I also want to earn All-American honors once again and try to win several Division I postseason awards so I can show people I can play at the same level as the players at the bigger schools.”

Notes:

Tolbert needs 838 yards to surpass Scotty Anderson (3,182) as Grambling State’s all-time leader in receiving yards.

Tolbert needs 7 touchdowns to surpass Anderson (34) as the Tigers’ all-time leader for career receiving touchdowns.

Tolbert needs 55 receptions to become GSU’s all-time leader in receptions. Anderson currently holds the record with 188.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 23rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
Tolbert needs 838 yards to surpass Scotty Anderson (3,182) as Grambling State’s all-time leader in receiving yards.

Tolbert needs 7 touchdowns to surpass Anderson (34) as the Tigers’ all-time leader for career receiving touchdowns.

Tolbert needs 55 receptions to become GSU’s all-time leader in receptions. Anderson currently holds the record with 188.

You reading this Landers/Kerlegan?

MACHIAVELLI
August 23rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Grambling's good hands people
Tigers' receivers say they have plenty of hands to keep offense flying high
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — Forget Grambling State's triumphal conference championship last year. With this team, all anybody wants to talk about is 2004.
That was the last time redshirt sophomore quarterback Brandon Landers was under center, filling in for the injured Bruce Eugene.

Without Eugene, GSU would go 6-5. A season later, with Eugene back, the Tigers won a title at 11-1.

GSU's receivers have a unified response on the nagging issue of '04: That was then.
"Most people felt Bruce carried us," said junior wideout Clyde Edwards, Landers' top target when both were freshmen. "That's just more motivation."

Edwards has added 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns to his resume since 2004.

Back then, Henry Tolbert was in the midst of converting from running back to receiver — and was bothered all year by a nagging hip injury. A campaign later, he could be found leading the Southwestern Athletic Conference in receptions, yards, touchdowns and catches per game.

Tim Abney was also out in '04. He returned from a groin problem and, even missing three games, finished fourth among GSU receivers for yards and touchdowns in 2005.

"This is a veteran group of guys, guys who have helped us win big games," said GSU coach Melvin Spears. "Brandon Landers has had a chance to become familiar with them, practicing behind Bruce last year and competing this fall. If they work hard and remember to do the little things, we could be right there in the end."

That's to say nothing of LaKeldrick "Burner" Bridges, a Georgia Tech transfer who is expected to garner playing time. Junior Kovarus Hills and sophomore Nick Lewis are also having terrific camps.

"There could be as many as eight receivers ready to play in September," said Grambling offensive coordinator Sammy White. "We sure could have used that experience two years ago."

[URL=http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200608]http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/SPORTS/608140331/1006

MACHIAVELLI
August 24th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Grambling's good hands people
Tigers' receivers say they have plenty of hands to keep offense flying high
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — Forget Grambling State's triumphal conference championship last year. With this team, all anybody wants to talk about is 2004.
That was the last time redshirt sophomore quarterback Brandon Landers was under center, filling in for the injured Bruce Eugene.

Without Eugene, GSU would go 6-5. A season later, with Eugene back, the Tigers won a title at 11-1.

GSU's receivers have a unified response on the nagging issue of '04: That was then.
"Most people felt Bruce carried us," said junior wideout Clyde Edwards, Landers' top target when both were freshmen. "That's just more motivation."

Edwards has added 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns to his resume since 2004.

Back then, Henry Tolbert was in the midst of converting from running back to receiver — and was bothered all year by a nagging hip injury. A campaign later, he could be found leading the Southwestern Athletic Conference in receptions, yards, touchdowns and catches per game.

Tim Abney was also out in '04. He returned from a groin problem and, even missing three games, finished fourth among GSU receivers for yards and touchdowns in 2005.

"This is a veteran group of guys, guys who have helped us win big games," said GSU coach Melvin Spears. "Brandon Landers has had a chance to become familiar with them, practicing behind Bruce last year and competing this fall. If they work hard and remember to do the little things, we could be right there in the end."

That's to say nothing of LaKeldrick "Burner" Bridges, a Georgia Tech transfer who is expected to garner playing time. Junior Kovarus Hills and sophomore Nick Lewis are also having terrific camps.

"There could be as many as eight receivers ready to play in September," said Grambling offensive coordinator Sammy White. "We sure could have used that experience two years ago."

[URL=http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200608]http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/SPORTS/608140331/1006

MACHIAVELLI
August 25th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Tigers Hit The Ground Running During First Day Of Workouts
By GSU Sports Information

GRAMBLING, La. – Despite an intense heat looming across the practice field, the Grambling State University Tiger football team opened fall workouts full of enthusiasm as they prepare to defend their 2005 SWAC Championship.

From the opening horn, the Tigers moved around from station-to-station performing a variety of drills under the eyes of the coaching staff, media and several interested onlookers. Overall, head coach Melvin Spears said he was satisfied with his team’s first full-scale performance since spring practice.

“I thought we did a fairly decent job today,” said Spears. “Our guys are in good shape due to the job our strength and conditioning coach has done with the team this summer. The tempo slowed at times towards the end due to the heat zapping down on them but in a couple of days they’ll get accustomed to it and should be at full speed.”

With the team’s leading rusher and top two receivers returning from last season, the Tigers appear to be in good shape at the skill positions on offense. However, with the departure of four-year starter Bruce Eugene at quarterback, Spears made it a point to work-in additional repetitions for sophomore signal caller Brandon Landers, the 2004 SWAC Freshman of the Year.

“I think the main thing now is establishing continuity on offense with respect to Brandon now as our starting quarterback,” he said.

Defensively, six starters return and Spears said he was extremely pleased with the unit’s performance after one day of work. He also praised the performance of defensive back Jeffery Jack, a sophomore transfer from LSU, during 7-on-7 drills.

“I thought the defense did a pretty good job running around,” he said. “Jack made a major impact right away with an interception and his ability to close-in on guys.”

The Tigers will hold a single practice at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon at the Robinson Stadium Support Facility practice field.

MACHIAVELLI
August 25th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Ab-solutely positive
http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blog...-positive.html

Late in their careers at Grambling, passer Bruce Eugene and defender Jason Hatcher grew into their roles as the fiery heart of their respective units.

One of the earliest storylines as GSU reports for fall practice sessions on Sunday will be finding someone to fill the roles of lockeroom leader on this team. Any hopes for a return to the SWAC Championship Game, which the Tigers have won four out of the last seven years, depends upon somebody stepping up.

"We're looking for leadership like we had last year. To play like that week-in and week-out, you've got to have outstanding leadership," said GSU coach Melvin Spears. "We're still searching for the real leaders on this team, the guy who says he's going to take this team on his back."

Receivers Henry Tolbert and Clyde Edwards have the numbers, but both are quiet-types who let their production do the talking. Linebacker Dimitri Carr has a chance to show the kind of resolve needed to push the team back into contention, as well.

But my pick for that role is running back Ab Kuuan. Last year, he not only solidified his role as an every-down back, he also found a way to spark his team at key moments.

"He's a guy who I am highly impressed with," Spears admits. "He's a former walk on who comes in, takes care of his business on the field - and has already graduated. That makes a difference."

Who can forget Kuuan's gutsy run to finish off Alabama State last year? He demanded the ball - and he delivered.

"He closed it out," Spears said. "That's the killer instinct that we'll need."

MACHIAVELLI
August 26th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Fassitt's fast track
http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blog...ast-track.html

Getting injured late in last year's championship run may have been the best thing that ever happened to Grambling cornerback Greg Fassitt.

Well, that and some timely advice from former GSU great Albert Lewis.

Lewis - a member of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame - stopped by during Grambling's spring sessions, and drilled in on what it takes to succeed in the secondary.

"Albert Lewis did a great job talking about preparation," GSU coach Melvin Spears said.

That rang true with Fassitt, one of the team's most cerebral players and best students.

Fassitt, a preseason all-conference selection, made a key recovery in last season's win over Southern, but then suffered a groin injury that looked to keep him out during the Tigers' subsequent SWAC title game appearance.

He played anyway, and ended up snuffing Alabama A&M's second scoring threat. The Bulldogs would never reach the endzone again, as Grambling surged to the championship.

That threat of time away gave Fassitt an even greater hunger to return and excel this year.

"You want to set your expectations high," Fassitt likes to say. "If you reach for the stars, but land on a cloud, you haven't really failed."

Which is saying something, since this is the guy who keyed a GSU defense that didn't allow a passing touchdown to a conference opponent until the Arkansas-Pine Bluff game in

MACHIAVELLI
August 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM
GRAMBLING — Is Grambling on the verge of producing its first 1,000-yard rusher in five years — and just the second since 1993?

Not surprisingly, the ever-talkative tailback Ab Kuuan says yes. (In fact, he wants 1,500.) Turns out, that’s a goal shared by the coaching staff and offensive line, as well.

Not just because Kuuan, a gym rat beyond compare, has earned it. But also because it will likely smooth the way for redshirt Brandon Landers as he steps in for departed quarterback Bruce Eugene.

“We look to do that, get Kuuan to 1,000,” said versatile senior lineman Jamar Dorsey. “That opens up the passing game for Brandon. We can pound them early, then take them deep late. Last year, we showed we could run the ball and still be Grambling.”

He means the Grambling that’s led Division I-AA in passing offense three out of the last four years.

Kuuan’s best season yet at GSU didn’t start that way.

He was hampered by an ankle problem and only saw spot duty over two games beginning with Washington State last year. Robbed of his explosiveness, he ran just one time against that I-A opponent, and a suddenly one-dimensional Grambling was blown out.

But Kuuan would then streak to 891 yards on the year, finishing fourth in the Southwestern Athletic Conference. Even missing nearly all of two games, he averaged 74 yards per contest — fifth in the SWAC. His 5-yards-per-carry average and nine rushing touchdowns ranked third among all other rushers in the Top 10.

Kuuan, in fact, has gotten steadily more productive since running 92 times for 423 yards in 2003, though that still was a team-leading mark. He ran for 637 yards in 2004 (leading the team again), and his 10 touchdowns were third among Top 10 SWAC rushers.

Slowly, but surely, Kuuan’s presence has meant rewriting a few pages in the playbook.

“We look for our running back to get 1,000 yards this year,” confirmed GSU offensive coordinator Sammy White. “He got 800 last year and that was after he didn’t get going for several games because of an injury. Imagine him playing in every game.”

That’s why the dreadlocked Kuuan stands near the middle of the spotlight this preseason, even with the change at quarterback.

Landers isn’t being asked to mimic the eye-popping passing heroics of the past few years, as Eugene rewrote school and Division I-AA passing record books. His Alabama-born running back is the reason.

Kuuan may not get as many touches as he did in 2004, when Landers was pushed into duty as a true freshman. But he’ll clearly be a big part of this offense.

“I think 1,500 is a very reachable goal,” Kuuan said. “The coaches will get us prepared. It’s up to us.”

Ruben runs again: Fullback Ruben Mayes, a ferocious blocker and rusher, has returned to practice after off-season knee surgery.

He also missed the Washington State game, and parts of several others — including the SWAC Championship Game.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...608100346/1006

nevadagriz
August 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM
:D Wow This said Icon articles yet i see not one article on MONTANA. What is with this Grambling stuff? I thought you said ICON :thumbsup: :eek: :nod: xlolx ;)
Oh the non playoff Icon:eek: :hurray: :smiley_wi xprost2x xsmoochx

MACHIAVELLI
August 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Grambling State

Coach: Melvin Spears, 17-6 in two seasons at Grambling State and overall

2005 record/SWAC: 11-1/9-0

Postseason: Won SWAC championship

Bit the dust: The Tigers lost eight starters, the biggest departures being record-setting quarterback Bruce Eugene and three members of the defensive line, including end Jason Hatcher, who is now in the NFL. Bruce, the SWAC's Offensive Player of the Year, threw for more than 4,400 yards and an eye-popping 56 touchdowns. Hatcher had 71 tackles, 11 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss. The Tigers will also miss safety Jermaine Mills, who was the team's second-leading tackler with 73 stops.

Clean slate: Quarterback Brandon Landers, the league's Freshman of the Year two years ago, takes over for Eugene after redshirting last season. Newcomer John Scroggins has been compared to Hatcher, while Bakari Guice, who sat out last season, should boost the secondary.

Dusting off the game plan

Offense

The Tigers may have more firepower than they did last year. Henry Tolbert (5-11, 205, Sr.) is the premier wide receiver in the league after catching 74 balls for 1,391 yards and 19 touchdowns. Clyde Edwards (5-10, 175, Jr.) had more than 1,000 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns. Tim Abney had just 18 catches, but averaged more than 18 yards per catch and had six touchdowns. Ab Kuaan (5-11, 230, Sr.) rushed for almost 900 yards and scored nine touchdowns and senior Andre' Bennett (6-6, 350, Sr.) anchors an offensive line that has been among the league's best over the years.

Defense

Grambling's offense has gotten most of the attention, but the Tigers' defense has been pretty good, too. The secondary, led by Greg Fassitt (6-1, 190, Sr.) and DeMichael Dizer (6-1, 185, Sr.), could be as good as its been in a while and inside linebacker Dimitri Carr (6-2, 232, Sr.) is among the league's best.

The rest of it

Tim Manuel returns to handle the punting and kicking duties. The junior averaged 36.8 yards per punt and made 39-of-51 extra points and 6-of-12 field goals.

Hitting pay dirt: The Tigers could very well find themselves back in Birmingham for the SWAC championship game if Landers can play within himself.

Muddying the water: If Landers struggles, the Tigers could be in trouble. He is the only quarterback that has had any significant playing time. The same can be said if Grambling's revamped defensive line can't stop the run and put pressure on the quarterback.

MACHIAVELLI
August 27th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Grambling State

Coach: Melvin Spears, 17-6 in two seasons at Grambling State and overall

2005 record/SWAC: 11-1/9-0

Postseason: Won SWAC championship

Bit the dust: The Tigers lost eight starters, the biggest departures being record-setting quarterback Bruce Eugene and three members of the defensive line, including end Jason Hatcher, who is now in the NFL. Bruce, the SWAC's Offensive Player of the Year, threw for more than 4,400 yards and an eye-popping 56 touchdowns. Hatcher had 71 tackles, 11 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss. The Tigers will also miss safety Jermaine Mills, who was the team's second-leading tackler with 73 stops.

Clean slate: Quarterback Brandon Landers, the league's Freshman of the Year two years ago, takes over for Eugene after redshirting last season. Newcomer John Scroggins has been compared to Hatcher, while Bakari Guice, who sat out last season, should boost the secondary.

Dusting off the game plan

Offense

The Tigers may have more firepower than they did last year. Henry Tolbert (5-11, 205, Sr.) is the premier wide receiver in the league after catching 74 balls for 1,391 yards and 19 touchdowns. Clyde Edwards (5-10, 175, Jr.) had more than 1,000 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns. Tim Abney had just 18 catches, but averaged more than 18 yards per catch and had six touchdowns. Ab Kuaan (5-11, 230, Sr.) rushed for almost 900 yards and scored nine touchdowns and senior Andre' Bennett (6-6, 350, Sr.) anchors an offensive line that has been among the league's best over the years.

Defense

Grambling's offense has gotten most of the attention, but the Tigers' defense has been pretty good, too. The secondary, led by Greg Fassitt (6-1, 190, Sr.) and DeMichael Dizer (6-1, 185, Sr.), could be as good as its been in a while and inside linebacker Dimitri Carr (6-2, 232, Sr.) is among the league's best.

The rest of it

Tim Manuel returns to handle the punting and kicking duties. The junior averaged 36.8 yards per punt and made 39-of-51 extra points and 6-of-12 field goals.

Hitting pay dirt: The Tigers could very well find themselves back in Birmingham for the SWAC championship game if Landers can play within himself.

Muddying the water: If Landers struggles, the Tigers could be in trouble. He is the only quarterback that has had any significant playing time. The same can be said if Grambling's revamped defensive line can't stop the run and put pressure on the quarterback.

August 27th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Please, just a snippet of the article and a link to the full one. Copyright police you know.

MACHIAVELLI
August 28th, 2006, 01:55 AM
SPEARS TO STOP IN HOUSTON TO PROMOTE UPCOMING CONTEST

GRAMBLING, La. - Grambling State University head football coach Melvin Spears will make an appearance in the city of Houston to take part in a press conference on Thursday, Aug. 24, to help promote the upcoming match-up featuring Grambling State and University of Houston .

The press conference, scheduled to begin at 11:30 a.m., will be held at Drexler’s Bar-B-Que on 2300 Pierce Street , which is located several blocks from the University of Houston ’s campus. Also in attendance with Spears will be former Grambling State standout and 15-year NFL veteran Albert Lewis , who’s serving as a volunteer assistant coach with the Tigers.

This will mark the first-ever meeting between the institutions, with both coming off postseason appearances. Grambling State captured their 21st SWAC Title with a victory over Alabama A&M in the SWAC Championship Game while the Cougars participated in the Fort Worth Bowl against Kansas .

The match-up, slated for Sept. 16 at UH’s Robertson Stadium, is scheduled for a 6 p.m. kickoff. The meeting against the Cougars will mark the second consecutive season GSU has faced a Division I-A opponent and the second meeting against a school which played in Conference USA . In 2000, the Tigers faced former CUSA member Louisville and attracted the 10th largest crowd (41,227) in Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium history.

Listen to the Coach Spears speech (http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com)

MACHIAVELLI
August 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM
SPEARS TO STOP IN HOUSTON TO PROMOTE UPCOMING CONTEST

GRAMBLING, La. - Grambling State University head football coach Melvin Spears will make an appearance in the city of Houston to take part in a press conference on Thursday, Aug. 24, to help promote the upcoming match-up featuring Grambling State and University of Houston .

The press conference, scheduled to begin at 11:30 a.m., will be held at Drexler’s Bar-B-Que on 2300 Pierce Street , which is located several blocks from the University of Houston ’s campus. Also in attendance with Spears will be former Grambling State standout and 15-year NFL veteran Albert Lewis , who’s serving as a volunteer assistant coach with the Tigers.

This will mark the first-ever meeting between the institutions, with both coming off postseason appearances. Grambling State captured their 21st SWAC Title with a victory over Alabama A&M in the SWAC Championship Game while the Cougars participated in the Fort Worth Bowl against Kansas .

The match-up, slated for Sept. 16 at UH’s Robertson Stadium, is scheduled for a 6 p.m. kickoff. The meeting against the Cougars will mark the second consecutive season GSU has faced a Division I-A opponent and the second meeting against a school which played in Conference USA . In 2000, the Tigers faced former CUSA member Louisville and attracted the 10th largest crowd (41,227) in Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium history.

Listen to the Coach Spears speech (http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com)

MACHIAVELLI
August 29th, 2006, 06:23 AM
GRAMBLING - For a program that lost just seven starters, Grambling State is in the midst of a surprisingly heated fall football camp.

“It’s about talent and commitment,” GSU coach Melvin Spears said. “Competition brings out the best in everybody.”

Even presumptive starters like quarterback Brandon Landers, the conference freshman of the year in 2004, are being pushed by several hopefuls.

As many as three spots are up for grabs on the offensive line, which only lost Jonathan Banks. Incoming prospects like Macon, Ga., freshman linebacker Charlie Brewer are making waves, too.

“At every position, those young guys are really stepping up,” said junior receiver Tim Abney, a Neville product. “This is the best group of incoming talent that I have seen at Grambling.”

Abney’s part of a receiver group that, along with quarterback and running back, appears to be the most stable. Elsewhere, Grambling’s pre-season depth chart could be subject to sweeping revisions.

Randle Bennett, a 6-6, 337-pound transfer from Valley Forge Military, is making a case for playing time on the offensive line - which returns starters Andre Bennett, Tavarus Cockrell and Derrek Governor along with key substitute Jamar Dorsey.
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...608160356/1006

MACHIAVELLI
August 29th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Grambling's Tolbert set for record year
Senior Ala. receiver could break all-time school marks
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — When senior Grambling State receiver Henry Tolbert caught two crucial passes on Saturday — including one for the scrimmage's only touchdown — he underscored just how he operates.
Quiet, even amiable, and clutch to a fault.

"That's his nature," said GSU coach Melvin Spears. "Don't sleep on Henry. We call him the 'Silent Assassin.'"

Nobody had more touchdowns, total yards, receptions or yards-per-catch than Tolbert last year. Yet he only received second-team all-Southwestern Athletic Conference honors.
The SWAC Championship Game against Alabama A&M was held the Saturday after the team was announced. Tolbert was critical to GSU's big win — scoring 24 points, setting SCG records for receiving and overall touchdowns and tying a record for total points scored by an individual in the contest.

That the game was played in Birmingham, Ala., Tolbert's hometown, only made the understated revenge sweeter. Grambling opens its 2006 season right back at Legion Field, this time facing Hampton in the MEAC-SWAC Challenge on Sept. 2.

"I'm very excited about the chance to go back and prove myself again," said Tolbert, who had 30 family members in attendance last December. "How could I not be?"

http://thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060...08220343/1006/NEWS17

MACHIAVELLI
August 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Grambling's Tolbert set for record year
Senior Ala. receiver could break all-time school marks
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — When senior Grambling State receiver Henry Tolbert caught two crucial passes on Saturday — including one for the scrimmage's only touchdown — he underscored just how he operates.
Quiet, even amiable, and clutch to a fault.

"That's his nature," said GSU coach Melvin Spears. "Don't sleep on Henry. We call him the 'Silent Assassin.'"

Nobody had more touchdowns, total yards, receptions or yards-per-catch than Tolbert last year. Yet he only received second-team all-Southwestern Athletic Conference honors.
The SWAC Championship Game against Alabama A&M was held the Saturday after the team was announced. Tolbert was critical to GSU's big win — scoring 24 points, setting SCG records for receiving and overall touchdowns and tying a record for total points scored by an individual in the contest.

That the game was played in Birmingham, Ala., Tolbert's hometown, only made the understated revenge sweeter. Grambling opens its 2006 season right back at Legion Field, this time facing Hampton in the MEAC-SWAC Challenge on Sept. 2.

"I'm very excited about the chance to go back and prove myself again," said Tolbert, who had 30 family members in attendance last December. "How could I not be?"

http://thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll...43/1006/NEWS17

ButlerGSU
August 29th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I think one link to 'The News Star' would have been enough.

You can hear the silence in this thread...

MACHIAVELLI
August 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Eugene gone, but Grambling strong

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter

True, quarterback Bruce Eugene, after six seasons, is finally gone. And so is defensive end Jason Hatcher, a third-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys.

Then again, running back Ab Kuuan, a three-year force, is back. So are wide receivers Henry Tolbert and Clyde Edwards, with 29 touchdown catches between them last season. And fullback Ruben Mayes. And offensive lineman Andre Bennett, one of four returning starters up front. And versatile pass-catcher Tim Abney. And cornerback Greg Fassit. And linebacker Dimitri Carr.

Then the Tigers, who have won four of the last six SWAC titles, added four transfers, all who started, from the University of Virginia. And LSU transfer Jeffery Jack at cornerback. And Georgia Tech transfer LaKeldrick Bridges at wide receiver.

Naturally, there’s a lot of focus spent on Eugene, who set national records while re-writing the school’s record book. But Grambling is still loaded.

“It doesn’t matter who suits up. It doesn’t matter who plays quarterback. The bottom line is we’re going to play for 60 straight minutes. When you come, you just need to be prepared for 60 straight minutes. It doesn’t matter what the score is.”

There won’t be any questions about the wide receiving corps, which returns Tolbert (1,391 yards and 19 TDs) or Edwards (1,015 yards and 10 TDs), along with Bridges. Mayes, a bruising fullback who missed four games with injury, and Kuuan, with 891 yards and nine TDs a year ago, muscle a veteran running game. And the line, even minus massive tackle Jonathan Banks, is just as hulking, with all five starters and their backups easily more than 300 pounds.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/specialsections/football2006/3591946.html?showAll=y&c=y

mikebigg
August 29th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think one link to 'The News Star' would have been enough.

You can hear the silence in this thread...

Feel free to find a link and access it whenever you feel like it. That way you don't have to even open this thread to see what it's saying. xcoffeex

MACHIAVELLI
August 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Melvin Spears weekly press conference excerpts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8sCncqFW8)

MACHIAVELLI
August 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Melvin Spears weekly press conference excerpts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8sCncqFW8)

MACHIAVELLI
August 30th, 2006, 03:32 PM
MEAC/SWAC Challenge highlights opening weekend
If you're a fan of black college football, it doesn't get any better than the second annual MEAC/SWAC Challenge, which features Hampton and Grambling State, two of the most successful HBCU programs. They will clash at Legion Field in Birmingham on Saturday (ESPN2, noon ET). In fact, the Pirates and the Tigers completed the 2005 as the top two teams in black college football.

A year ago, Grambling won the Southwestern Athletic Conference finishing with a 9-0 league record and an 11-1 overall mark. The Tigers only loss was to Division I-A Washington State.

Hampton captured the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference at 8-0 and finished the season with an 11-1 overall record. The Pirates suffered a first-round Division I-AA playoff setback to Richmond, 38-10.

Nevertheless, this is a huge early-season matchup against two outstanding teams. Joe Taylor, Hampton head coach, realizes the magnitude of this contest.

"It's certainly a big game for two teams that finished No. 1 in black college football last year," Taylor said. "It's not every year that you see two good teams play this soon. I have a lot of respect for Grambling. The program has such a great history going back to when [former Grambling coach] Eddie Robinson had them and they're still playing good football. That's says a lot for the tradition."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2566154

MACHIAVELLI
September 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
They're tough to pass in the fast lane

"We're going to throw the ball," Grambling coach Melvin Spears said. "That's what we do."

Henry Tolbert led the Tigers last season with 74 receptions for 1,391 yards and 19 touchdowns. Clyde Edwards (54 catches, 1,015 yards, 10 TD) and tight end Tim Abney (18 catches, 329 yards, six TD) give Landers two other experienced targets.

"Tolbert is pretty nice," said Bain, who played two seasons at Miami of Florida before transferring to Hampton in 2005. "He's a Division I-A athlete playing on a I-AA team.

"He catches the ball well and then runs for lots of yards after the catch."

Bannister added: "Tolbert is good but Edwards might be the best. He had fewer catches but he gets more yards after the catch."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/local/dp-14870sy0sep01,0,6453477.story?coll=dp-sports-colleges