PDA

View Full Version : the critical question

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Ok, in an effort to bring up a previously undiscussed (at least recently) topic...

What is your teams "pregame/kickoff traditions?" I have no idea what you call it, but I figure that's close enough.

Furman's student section all takes out their keys and starts jingling them (only at the beginning of a game or after we score though) and then proceeds with "GOOOOOO F-U!"

The team also comes out on the field to a version of "rock out like a hurricane," a hearkening back to the time when the football team was known as the Purple Hurricanes. They are led out of the tunnel (a big helmet) by a man wearing a full suit of armor on a big white horse (Sir Paladin riding "Sterling").

http://furman.travelasp.com/images/news/paladin.jpg

I don't think there are many better chants than Go F-U. Maybe Fordham fans have a good variation?

nb. while there are undoutbedly some good ones, "Go Hogs, souee!" and "Go Dogs, sic em, woof woof woof!" are some of my favorites from the I-A ranks. Arkansas and UGA respectively. Those are pretty funny.

FUwolfpacker
August 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
You forgot the Paladin Walk. Very similar to every other pregame walk to the stadium you've ever heard off, but it's still part of the pregame tradition.

OL FU
August 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
I do a different form of the Paladin walk where I walk to the concession stand to get my 10 year a funnel cake That is not only a tradition it is a pre-requisite from my attendance:nod:

OL FU
August 22nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Cool:cool:

Three Paladins in a row:nod:

MYTAPPY
August 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
The Mountaineers have two rallying songs I guess you can call them. Hells Bells and Back in Black.

The Hells Bells tolls we play during third downs of the opposing teams, (except when we are not allowed to due to stupid NCAA playoff rules).

On kickoffs the fans wave an arm in the opposite endzone that the other team is headed towards. While doing this the band plays Olympic Fanfare.

At the end of the 3rd quarter/beginning of 4th quarter, the band plays the beginning of The Planet Kryton and everybody (including the football team) holds up 4 fingers.

Its much better to experience it in person.:nod:

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
I always kind of thought it was funny you played the Olympic fanfare. It never really fit the situation, but it always sounded cool anyway. I also figured y'all were just pointing the direction you were heading :)

The only unique thing about the Paladin walk for me is that the players go and rub the F on the statues pedestal.

Mr. Taggart
August 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
How on earth can you leave out the greatest Furman cheer of them all, formerly led by the University's President:

FU one time!
FU two times!
FU three times!
FU ALL THE TIME!

lucchesicourt
August 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
I drink a cold one!!!

ucdtim17
August 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
I drink 12 cold ones

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
We tried to get some things going at Nicholls but they were mostly stopped before it happened.

I do know that, while I was there, we began a tradition of the marching band meeting the football team at the dorms then walking (while playing) from the dorms to the field house a few hours before the game.

Also, since my freshman year (1998) the band plays "Thriller" at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

PantherRob82
August 22nd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Every kickoff we shake the keys and the band plays "Jaws".

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Pregame...

Demon Spellout
Fork'em Demons Chant
"Beat the Hell our of .... chant"

4th Quarter.....(actually end of third 3rd quarter)

Band plays some song I can't think of at the moment :bang: (South Carolina plays it also after 3rd qtr).

In final minutes of a sure win....

"No time for "p***ies" chant (shakes keys)

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
I do a different form of the Paladin walk where I walk to the concession stand to get my 10 year a funnel cake That is not only a tradition it is a pre-requisite from my attendance:nod:

That gets a 10/10 in my book. :nod:

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 22nd, 2006, 06:57 PM
Cool:cool:

Three Paladins in a row:nod:

OUT!!!!!!

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
We tried to get some things going at Nicholls but they were mostly stopped before it happened.

I do know that, while I was there, we began a tradition of the marching band meeting the football team at the dorms then walking (while playing) from the dorms to the field house a few hours before the game.

Also, since my freshman year (1998) the band plays "Thriller" at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Do yall still do that annoying "Hit'rm Harder" Chant????

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Do yall still do that annoying "Hit'rm Harder" Chant????
Not sure what you're talking about?? :confused:

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 22nd, 2006, 07:11 PM
Not sure what you're talking about?? :confused:

A few year back...some old man kept saying:

Hit'em..Hit'em

and the rest would follow with

Harder..Harder

Don't think it was a tradition...but they been doing that the past 2-3 years I've seen them play....annoys me worse than the "Cowboy Sway" or whatever McNeese calls it..:D

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 07:31 PM

Hit'em..Hit'em

Harder..Harder

Don't think it was a tradition...but they been doing that the past 2-3 years I've seen them play....annoys me worse than the "Cowboy Sway" or whatever McNeese calls it..:D
Hmmm never noticed that. Where were you sitting for those games?

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM

Hit'em..Hit'em

Harder..Harder

Glad you enjoyed the "Cowboy Sway" :D Last year when you were so gracious to loan us your stadium to play Tx Sou your band learned the tune and played it for us. I hear they like it so much they are no going to be playing it at all your games as well :eek: xlolx

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 22nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Glad you enjoyed the "Cowboy Sway" :D Last year when you were so gracious to loan us your stadium to play Tx Sou your band learned the tune and played it for us. I hear they like it so much they are no going to be playing it at all your games as well :eek: xlolx

Ohhhhhhhhhh they will aight....xlolx

The Demon mix ;)

But yeah...can't leave a fellow Louisiana Team (even if they are our rivals) hangin.

SFA on the other hand.......

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hmmm never noticed that. Where were you sitting for those games?

40 yard line on the East Side...Like I do for all my home games. I forgot where I sat down there....I think the 30??

BULLDOG8180
August 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Back in the good ole days, when I played,:bawling: the band would breakout in "dixie" and all the cadets would do their hats with the "look a' way".

They can't do it anymore.:bawling:

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 07:06 AM
Back in the good ole days, when I played,:bawling: the band would breakout in "dixie" and all the cadets would do their hats with the "look a' way".

They can't do it anymore.:bawling:

It was the best version of Dixie I ever heard:nod:

Tribe4SF
August 23rd, 2006, 07:35 AM
I'm part of the "Corner Crazies" who watch from the fence in SW corner of the endzone. We shout out the Captains and Asst. HC Bob Solderitch when they walk out. Tribe takes the field in front of us to the fight song, and a mini-cannon is fired directly in front of us. We stand the entire game. I've had preferred seats on the 40 for years, but have never sat in them. Away games bug me because I frequently have to sit down.

McNeese72
August 23rd, 2006, 08:13 AM
It was the best version of Dixie I ever heard:nod:

Here is a version of Dixie that was played by the McNeese band in the early 70's that I always liked. Of course, you couldn't play it now days.

Dixieland (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/dixieland.mp3)

Doc

OL FU
August 23rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Here is a version of Dixie that was played by the McNeese band in the early 70's that I always liked. Of course, you couldn't play it now days.

Dixieland (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/dixieland.mp3)

Doc

Very reverent, Gone with the Wind kinda version. Nice

The Citadel version was faster , raucous, ass kicking, military version.

McNeese72
August 23rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
When the McNeese Band gets to the stadium, they march down the ramp entering the field in the SE end of the stadium. They stop on the ramp and greet the crowd with the traditional playing of "Jolie Blonde".

Click below to hear it:

Jolie Blonde (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/jolieblonde.mp3)

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/nich04pgband.jpg

Doc

GeauxColonels
August 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
40 yard line on the East Side...Like I do for all my home games. I forgot where I sat down there....I think the 30??
Oh so it was up at Northwestern? I've NEVER heard anyone chanting that in Thibodaux.