PDA

View Full Version : Frisco to host NC game thru 2015 season

bluehenbillk
December 19th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Three year extension

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4550687

danefan
December 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM
The rematch of last season's championship game between North Dakota State and Sam Houston State already is a sellout.

xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Just like a player in a contract year. Next year it will be Delaware/EWU again.

kdinva
December 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Good for the city, but since the facility belongs to a Soccer team, I guess there is little chance of adding 8,000 - 12,000 seats to the stadium, as I feel the demand is there.

KATFANtastic45
December 19th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Good for the city, but since the facility belongs to a Soccer team, I guess there is little chance of adding 8,000 - 12,000 seats to the stadium, as I feel the demand is there.

It won't sellout every year there is no need for extra seats. There was only 13,000 when EWU and Delaware played.

GannonFan
December 19th, 2012, 04:12 PM
It won't sellout every year there is no need for extra seats. There was only 13,000 when EWU and Delaware played.

Remember, though, that was the first title game played in Frisco, it was played on a Friday night at 6PM local time, and it went head to head with the Cotton Bowl.

Having SHSU in it again distorts the attendance because of the local portion, for sure, but it would be interesting to see the effect of the game getting more and more local support as the years go on coupled with the fact that it's a late Saturday afternoon game, thereby letting both more locals and fans of the schools have a better chance of attending. I'm not sure we need more seats, but crowds around 20k could be the norm.

Southern Bison
December 19th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Remember, though, that was the first title game played in Frisco, it was played on a Friday night at 6PM local time, and it went head to head with the Cotton Bowl.

Having SHSU in it again distorts the attendance because of the local portion, for sure, but it would be interesting to see the effect of the game getting more and more local support as the years go on coupled with the fact that it's a late Saturday afternoon game, thereby letting both more locals and fans of the schools have a better chance of attending. I'm not sure we need more seats, but crowds around 20k could be the norm.

I doubt that having SHSU in the NC distorts the attendence. Yes, their campus is only 200 miles away but this year (and last) Bison fans will be the majority in those stands. If a 35,000 seat stadium was available, you could probably fill it. There are teams in the FCS that travel well, the Bison being one of them, and then you have programs from Yankeedom (thanks Citdog) and the Northwest that won't deliver more than a few hundred. Any schools that reach the NC outside of App St., NDSU, or GaSo and any TX/LA school will not deliver the ticket sales like they've enjoyed over the past 2 years.

NDSUstudent
December 20th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Dammit was hoping for Vegas.

doolittledog
December 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I like the Frisco location. Nice sized stadium. In a football crazy area. Easy access from major airlines. Fans can drive if they want.

Other future possibilities...

BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBVA_Compass_Stadium

Another MLS stadium. Seats 22k and is in downtown Houston. Seats 2k more than Frisco and located closer to more amenities than Frisco.

The Home Depot Center in Carson, CA...suburb of LA...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Depot_Center

Yet another MLS stadium. Seats 27k. Can be expanded to 31k with seating on the berm, or taken down to 19k if you block off the upper deck. LA area is nice and warm. Unlikely to bring in the casual fan that a location in Texas will get. Fans will likely have to fly to LA, driving not really an option.

Twentysix
December 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Dammit was hoping for Vegas.

It's against NCAA rules.

I would love it being in LA, but I would think most of the FCS being located in the east would be against it.

I would also love it being in Missoula, I thought I heard the Griz facility had put in a bid.

citdog
December 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
If the NCAA could be convinced to stay out of the domestic policy of the sovereign State of South Carolina by ending its boycott of this great State returning the game to Charleston would be super.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM
It's against NCAA rules.

I would love it being in LA, but I would think most of the FCS being located in the east would be against it.

I would also love it being in Missoula, I thought I heard the Griz facility had put in a bid.

They were in the bidding and I doubt there would be any leftover seating after the two teams in it took their cut but they'd never have it here.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Just so everyone knows, The Sports Network has a major blunder in its article. The press release sent to media outlets has the city of Frisco hosting the game through 2016, not 2015.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2012, 04:11 PM
If the NCAA could be convinced to stay out of the domestic policy of the sovereign State of South Carolina by ending its boycott of this great State returning the game to Charleston would be super.

I'm all for that. I'd love to see it back in Charleston.

Obzerver
December 20th, 2012, 07:23 PM
It's against NCAA rules.

If it's against NCAA rules to play in Vegas how do they play a bowl game there(this Sat.)? Perhaps the bowl game isn't associated with NCAA?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
If it's against NCAA rules to play in Vegas how do they play a bowl game there(this Sat.)? Perhaps the bowl game isn't associated with NCAA?

The bowl game are not NCAA events or championships.

citdog
December 20th, 2012, 07:36 PM
The bowl game are not NCAA events or championships.

exhibition games

swaghook
December 20th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Any schools that reach the NC outside of App St., NDSU, or GaSo and any TX/LA school will not deliver the ticket sales like they've enjoyed over the past 2 years.

I think the Montana schools travel well. But yes some schools just do not have a large enough fanbase willing to travel.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I think the Montana schools travel well. But yes some schools just do not have a large enough fanbase willing to travel.
They do, NDSU showed up last year and proved they are an equal to Montana's traveling squad for sure. With the amount of people that used to make it to Chattanooga on 4 or 5 days of planning I would love to see how it would be if we get back under this current system.

Bearkat-Backer
December 20th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Just so everyone knows, The Sports Network has a major blunder in its article. The press release sent to media outlets has the city of Frisco hosting the game through 2016, not 2015.

Through the 2015 season and the game will be played in January of 2016.

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2012, 08:21 AM
Through the 2015 season and the game will be played in January of 2016.

Correct

Panther88
December 21st, 2012, 09:52 AM
Seems like AISD athletic folks didn't get the right people drunk/high. lol

Kudos to Frisco's FC Dallas Stadium for sealing the deal for another 3 years, bolstered w/ Sam's local-type presence the last few years and the ardent followng/presence of NDSU and their envied fans.

Wilson16
December 21st, 2012, 06:46 PM
The NCAA and Frisco are hoping this match up happens yearly for the next three years.