PDA

View Full Version : Former Monmouth Wideout Miles Austin Scores TD on Monday Night Football

aceinthehole
August 22nd, 2006, 09:05 AM
Reeled in a pass from quarterback Tony Romo and scampered 48 yards for the score

WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – With one quick stutter step and a burst of speed, Miles Austin (Garfield, N.J./Garfield) landed himself in the national spotlight that is “Monday Night Football.” Seeing most of his playing time on special teams this preseason, the former Hawks star played most of the second half at wideout for the Dallas Cowboys on ESPN’s Monday Night Football, as his team took on the New Orleans Saints in Shreveport, Louisana in NFL preseason action on Monday evening.

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2006/8/22/mu_austinMNF.asp?path=fball

----
Just a little more exposure for the NEC :hurray:

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2006, 09:33 AM
Yeah, that was great! :hurray:

Calif_Colonial
August 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
Both cover guys for the Saints looked back at the quarterback and that was all Miles needed. Romo froze them with a fake pump. I knew if the quarterback could air it out that it was all over for the defense. :thumbsup: xcoffeex

Pard4Life
August 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Cool! We'll be at Monmouth to start 2007.

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah, that was great! :hurray:

Mr. Branch looked pretty good last night as well :nod:

henfan
August 22nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
And let's not forget from where Tony Romo originated? EIU!:hurray:

Pards Rule
August 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Where is Monmouth besides Monmouth CO.

UAalum72
August 22nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Where is Monmouth besides Monmouth CO.
West Long Branch, NJ
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=west+long+branch,+nj&ie=UTF8&ll=40.293406,-74.011459&spn=0.965736,2.186279&om=1

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
I remember watching Austin light up Lehigh last year in the opening game. He was unbelievable, speed, size everything. It's amazing he ended up at Monmouth, no offense to the Hawks.

aceinthehole
August 22nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
I remember watching Austin light up Lehigh last year in the opening game. He was unbelievable, speed, size everything. It's amazing he ended up at Monmouth, no offense to the Hawks.

That's not really a knock. There is a story behind it, but I don't know it offhand. Monmouth also recently picked up a very good QB from NJ that is supposed to be great! He was looked at by some legit I-A programs, but his height (I think he is 5-9) is what got him to commit to Monmouth.

Right now the NEC is recruting legit I-AA talent (not DIII as sometimes suggested), and a few really good players fall through the cracks and we are able to sign them. We don't have the depth of most other established I-AAs, but we are now getting a good number of high quality talent.

Dane96
August 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Yes Ace, agreed, and I think you will see the bigger schools, Monmouth, CCSU, SBU, and UA all moving ahead with their new frosh. All four schools picked up some very good talent.

aceinthehole
August 22nd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Yes Ace, agreed, and I think you will see the bigger schools, Monmouth, CCSU, SBU, and UA all moving ahead with their new frosh. All four schools picked up some very good talent.

The QB at Monmouth is Andrew Mandeville from Raritan. The article says he 5-10, but he's listed as 5-8 on the MU roster.
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060402/SPORTS02/604020441/1010

----
Yep, those schools have picked up some great frosh in the past few years. I also think we are going to get some decent transfers too. Look at some of the recent transfers from I-A:

John Sciarra, QB - Wagner (from UCLA)
Tyler Arciaga, QB - Sacred Heart (from UNLV)
Brian Friedman, RB - Monmouth (from Rutgers)
Joe DeSanzo, QB - Robert Morris (from Temple)
Justise Hairston, RB - CCSU (from Rutgers)

Even Luke Palko (brother of the Pitt QB) of St. Francis could have played at a higher level but chose a school close to home where he could get a good education and play rather than sit on the bench at Pitt. He will likely be the NEC's top reciver this year!

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
John Sciarra, the son of the 1976 Rose Bowl MVP of the same name?

faxjusfax
August 22nd, 2006, 04:01 PM
Yup, that's him. (graduated last year)

danefan
August 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
John Sciarra, the son of the 1976 Rose Bowl MVP of the same name?

You UMASS fans will enjoy this:

Funny story I heard about how he ended up at Wagner. I can't attest to the validity of it but it was what was going around the NEC for a while. John Sciarra actually played a few games at UCLA in 2002 I think. He went into spring high on the depth chart and for some reason or another fell rather quickly.

The story is that he was on a plane from CA to visit UMASS as a possible transfer. Luckily for Wagner, his seat was next to a Wagner Ass't coach returning from vacation in CA. To make a long story short, the coach got some good words in about and Wagner's location, education, etc... and when the plane landed John cancelled his visit to UMASS and instead visited Wagner where he committed the same weekend.

He ended up having a decent career at Wagner. No offense to the Wagner guys, but he had no real help around him the years he was there.

Franks Tanks
August 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
I for one am Happy that many of the NEC schools have made the commitment to significantly upgrade their programs. All NEC schools are quality academic institutions and will help to bring some more 1-AA exposure to the NE. I think it would be great to see Albany, Monmouth, Sacred Heart, Central Conn and others have playoff caliber programs.

aceinthehole
August 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
The QB at Monmouth is Andrew Mandeville from Raritan. The article says he 5-10, but he's listed as 5-8 on the MU roster.

----
Yep, those schools have picked up some great frosh in the past few years. I also think we are going to get some decent transfers too. Look at some of the recent transfers from I-A:

Even Luke Palko (brother of the Pitt QB) of St. Francis could have played at a higher level but chose a school close to home where he could get a good education and play rather than sit on the bench at Pitt. He will likely be the NEC's top reciver this year!

Here's another one for this season:

Patrick Mimms, DE - St. Francis PA (from the University of Cincinnati)

aceinthehole
August 23rd, 2006, 08:52 AM

----

Here's another one for this season:

Patrick Mimms, DE - St. Francis PA (from the University of Cincinnati)

Ruler 79
August 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Albany's QB Brett Hall was at Temple or Tenesee Martin or both I forget. This was after being a JUCO...kid has been everywhere. Lets hope he comes into his own this year or the scholarship kid from Ohio(recruited by Akron and other MAC schools ) will be the guy.

Calif_Colonial
August 23rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Another NEC transfer from a Div I-A school RMU'S Rob Butler ( transfer from Pitt ) San Diego Chargers; Baltimore Ravens, Safety.

He spent 2 years at San Diego and is now at the Ravens. He was a wide receiver his junior year and played defense his senior.

xcoffeex