PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Maine Football Outlook

mainejeff
August 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
First, the offense.........

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082106aab.html

Having a 4 year starter at QB and winning 3 of your last 4 in 2005 while averaging 28.3 points per game during that span has to count for something.

rcny46
August 21st, 2006, 10:15 PM
First, the offense.........

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082106aab.html

Having a 4 year starter at QB and winning 3 of your last 4 in 2005 while averaging 28.3 points per game during that span has to count for something.

I honestly believe the Black Bears can contend for the A-10 North title this year,and that they will be a better team than a lot of people expect.

blukeys
August 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the link Jeff!!!:nod: :nod:

For all the criticism of Cosrove any honest observer has to acknowledge his ability to recruit first rate talent to Orono. This especially applies to Whitcomb. I don't see the bottom end of the A-10 North being as strong as the bottom end of the A-10 South. But the top of the A-10 North with UNH and UMASS are going to be very tough to challenge. It looks as if Maine has an opportunity to challenge but has many question marks. That being said Maine looks to be one of the teams to beat if you want to win the A-10 North.

Mr. C
August 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM
Interesting preview. It isn't often that you see a team change its offensive philosophy in the middle of a season. There generally are some growing pains with the spread, but it seems the Black Bears have picked it up pretty fast. All of the champions in the NCAA's various divisions ran versions of the spread last year. What kind of a runner is Whitcomb? He has seemed to lack some mobility when I've seen him in the past. It's also interesting to see Ariel Gordon at tailback. That kid has great speed and could really have a break-out season, getting as many touches of the ball as he will. The tailback is an important receiver in the spread, so having someone who can catch is a plus. Maine could be a dark horse sort of team in the A-10.

Tribe4SF
August 22nd, 2006, 05:34 AM
Maine's trip to Williamsburg on Sept. 16 will be an important match-up for both teams. Potential dark horses who are hard to peg going into the year. Maine will be coming off a tough road trip to Youngstown, and W&M will have had two weeks to prepare after their trip to Maryland. Should know alot more about the teams after those games. The loser will be behind the eight-ball in their division.

PapaBear
August 22nd, 2006, 05:53 AM
What kind of a runner is Whitcomb? He has seemed to lack some mobility when I've seen him in the past. It's also interesting to see Ariel Gordon at tailback. That kid has great speed and could really have a break-out season, getting as many touches of the ball as he will. The tailback is an important receiver in the spread, so having someone who can catch is a plus.

Whitcomb is quicker than people realize. He's also lost some weight, to improve his speed. He'll be an effective runner.

You're right about Arel Gordon. He is extremely quick. And pound for pound, I'd wager he is the toughest runner in the A-10. I've seen him nearly jack 225-pound LBs out of their cleats in straight-on hits. Gordon is not a true tailback, though. In fact, there really is no "tailback" in the Spread. There's a setback/RB-type player who can be used in a variety of ways from a variety of alignments. That's exactly what you'll see from Arel this year. Teams will need to prepare for him out of many different sets.

Maine also has several very solid young guys ready to step up this year, on offense. Still, as most people know, it's the Black Hole D that should be the team's strength this year.

As with most 63-schollie teams, the real key to Main'e s success will be staying as injury-free as possible. The loss of even one or two key players at the wrong time can make or break a season.

Good luck to all, this year. Glad the season is finally upon us. This off-season jibber jabber is getting old.

GoGuins
August 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Looking forward to 9/9, should be a good game

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Maine could indeed be a dark horse this year - Whitcomb is a top-notch QB, no question about it. He runs alright but his arm strength and his touch are very good. Plus, Maine has a favorable schedule as well - they play the weaker half of the A10 South this year (nova, Towson, W&M as opposed to Richmond, UD, and JMU) and they play 3 A10 North teams at home (NU, Hofstra, UNH) and 2 on the road (URI and UMass). Their OOC games are a little on the tough side with @YSU and @BC (who is their 3rd OOC - it's a patsy isn't it?) so they could be even more of a darkhorse as they may start the year slowly.

Maine is always tough to peg - normally if they are slated to be real good they typically come in below expectations, and when you write them off they come out and really surprise you. Cosgrove has his faults, and he's not the best gameday coach by a mile, but he does bring in talent and when he can control that talent Maine is pretty good. Not a pushover team at all and with that schedule Maine could surprise people this year.

VictorG
August 22nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
I wanted to wish Maine and UNH good luck this year. I met some very nice Maine fans when Montana played them a few years ago. Was also told by Griz fans who made the trip to Maine the year before tha they were treated very well there.

I was also impressed by the class shown by The UNH quarterback and coach in the playoffs here in December of '04. I will following both of your teams and the A10 in general this year.

VictorG's wife. (AGS would not let me create my own membership as my husband was already registered with this email address, I better just watch what I post under his name)

Go GRIZ- Heal well Lex.

Grizo406
August 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
VictorG's wife. (AGS would not let me create my own membership as my husband was already registered with this email address, I better just watch what I post under his name)

Go GRIZ- Heal well Lex.

Being married to VictorG, this woman is clearly on the fast-track to Sainthood, and she should be given her own membership to AGS immediately!!!

Cap'n Cat
August 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Being married to VictorG, this woman is clearly on the fast-track to Sainthood, and she should be given her own membership to AGS immediately!!!

And who said it was OK for Vic to give me a handjob at Montana/New Hampy.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Mr. C
August 22nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
I wanted to wish Maine and UNH good luck this year. I met some very nice Maine fans when Montana played them a few years ago. Was also told by Griz fans who made the trip to Maine the year before tha they were treated very well there.

I was also impressed by the class shown by The UNH quarterback and coach in the playoffs here in December of '04. I will following both of your teams and the A10 in general this year.

Go GRIZ- Heal well Lex.
Kudos to Mr. and Mrs. VictorG for being the first husband and wife AGS team (as far as I can tell).

Mr. C
August 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Whitcomb is quicker than people realize. He's also lost some weight, to improve his speed. He'll be an effective runner.

You're right about Arel Gordon. He is extremely quick. And pound for pound, I'd wager he is the toughest runner in the A-10. I've seen him nearly jack 225-pound LBs out of their cleats in straight-on hits. Gordon is not a true tailback, though. In fact, there really is no "tailback" in the Spread. There's a setback/RB-type player who can be used in a variety of ways from a variety of alignments. That's exactly what you'll see from Arel this year. Teams will need to prepare for him out of many different sets.

Maine also has several very solid young guys ready to step up this year, on offense. Still, as most people know, it's the Black Hole D that should be the team's strength this year.

As with most 63-schollie teams, the real key to Main'e s success will be staying as injury-free as possible. The loss of even one or two key players at the wrong time can make or break a season.

Good luck to all, this year. Glad the season is finally upon us. This off-season jibber jabber is getting old.
In Appalachian State's version of the spread, Kevin Richardson lines up in one of two spots, or switches to one of those two spots (to the right, or left behind the QB), about 90 percent of the time. He occasionally lines up in a slot, or something like that and the Mountaineers on rare occasions go without anyone other than their QB in the backfield when they line up with five receivers. I could see Gordon lining up as a receiver more often than most spread RBs, but most of the time, to have a running threat, you have to have him, or someone, in one of those two positions. That gives teams the right angle to run the staple running play from the spread, the zone play.

PapaBear
August 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
In Appalachian State's version of the spread, Kevin Richardson lines up in one of two spots, or switches to one of those two spots (to the right, or left behind the QB), about 90 percent of the time. He occasionally lines up in a slot, or something like that and the Mountaineers on rare occasions go without anyone other than their QB in the backfield when they line up with five receivers. I could see Gordon lining up as a receiver more often than most spread RBs, but most of the time, to have a running threat, you have to have him, or someone, in one of those two positions. That gives teams the right angle to run the staple running play from the spread, the zone play.

Correct. My only point was that the term "tailback" is formation-specific to the I. No other formation -- including the "Spread" (which, by the way, was not originated by Urban Meyer at Utah, contrary to popular belief) -- uses a tailback. The Spread has a running back when it's in one-back alignment. Otherwise he's an H or a Z. But he's not a tailback

Mr. C
August 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Coaches can stuff the H, the Z, and all the other letters of the alphabet. When a person refers to tailbacks, they are refering to one-back sets, not formation, most of the time. It's just a way of making it easier for folks to understand. Coaches and their terminology is more about make insecure people look smart than it is about helping players understand what the heck is going on.

Grizo406
August 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Kudos to Mr. and Mrs. VictorG for being the first husband and wife AGS team (as far as I can tell).

Great, great people there, Mr. C!

PapaBear
August 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Coaches can stuff the H, the Z, and all the other letters of the alphabet. When a person refers to tailbacks, they are refering to one-back sets, not formation, most of the time. It's just a way of making it easier for folks to understand. Coaches and their terminology is more about make insecure people look smart than it is about helping players understand what the heck is going on.

OK, dude. Didnt mean to strike a nerve, there. Some people appreciate the intricacies of football terminology (doesn't make them insecure). And some prefer keeping it as generic as possible. Different strokes.

DTSpider
August 22nd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Back to Maine's outlook. I'm kind of glad that Richmond doesn't play them this year. They're very difficult to beat at home and they are due for a good year soon.

mainejeff
August 22nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Back to Maine's outlook. I'm kind of glad that Richmond doesn't play them this year. They're very difficult to beat at home and they are due for a good year soon.

You're probably right. Cosgrove needs a good season to keep people off his back for another 5 years :rolleyes:.

VictorG
August 22nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
And who said it was OK for Vic to give me a handjob at Montana/New Hampy.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Good golly! Cut a mans finger nails for him once and look how he repays you! BTW, how did you like the pink finger nail polish you decided on?:confused:

VictorG
August 22nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Great, great people there, Mr. C!

Ok, Ok, you can come to the BBQ on 8/29..........:bawling: :bawling:

mainejeff
August 22nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
Maine needs to either beat Youngstown State or William & Mary on the road in order for them to have any chance at a meaningful season. I am not going to be a happy camper if they are 1-2 going into the BC game on Sept.30th.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 22nd, 2006, 11:19 PM

I'll second that thought. It's bad enough having to play UNH and App St. on the road without a trip to Maine as well. I am thoroughly looking forward to our matchups on those two road games. Got my tickets and lodging set for Boone!

Maine should win 6-7 games this year I think. The big games are the W&M and the YSU games. Winning tough road games make good things happen at home! It was JMU's last minute touchdown at Maine in 2004 that sparked our path to the National Championship.

It's great to see good OOC games on many schedules this year.:hurray:

coop
August 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM

Is that the same D that gave up 59 points in 3 quarters to UNH in it's last game?

PapaBear
August 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Is that the same D that gave up 59 points in 3 quarters to UNH in it's last game?

Spare me the smacktalk, sport. UNH owns a whopping one-game lead in the series, 44-43, with 8 ties. Enjoy your day in the sun, and hope the rest of the A-10 doesn't mimic your immaturity if UNH slips into mediocrity once Ricky and Ball graduate.

coop
August 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
Spare me the smacktalk, sport. UNH owns a whopping one-game lead in the series, 44-43, with 8 ties. Enjoy your day in the sun, and hope the rest of the A-10 doesn't mimic your immaturity if UNH slips into mediocrity once Ricky and Ball graduate.

Sport, I wasn't smack talking. Did they get some transfers or have some good young players coming up. They were 59th in the country ( 8th in A-10) in scoring defense. That was my question About the "Black Hole" defense. Thats All.

mainejeff
August 23rd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Sport, I wasn't smack talking. Did they get some transfers or have some good young players coming up. They were 59th in the country ( 8th in A-10) in scoring defense. That was my question About the "Black Hole" defense. Thats All.

I think that you bring up a valid point.....and Maine does have a new Defensive Coordinator this season (may be a good thing).

I also have to ask you though......Is the UNH defense strong enough to get you past the 2nd Round of the NCAA playoffs?

coop
August 23rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
I think that you bring up a valid point.....and Maine does have a new Defensive Coordinator this season (may be a good thing).

I also have to ask you though......Is the UNH defense strong enough to get you past the 2nd Round of the NCAA playoffs?

I wasn't promoting UNH, ( I have know Idea what Unh has) it just happened to be the last game they played. I could have said JMU (44-0 L I think), but that happened in the middle of the season. Reality is I was wondering if the are going to get better on D. They haven't been very good on that side in a couple of years.
Papa said the they were going to be. I was just wondering why he felt they were going to improve ( transfers /New players/New Scheme??? Etc.)

Cap'n Cat
August 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Whatever you do, just beat *****ing Youngstown in order that that I-AA loss will hang over their season and be one of several reasons why they do not get into the playoffs again this year. Last year's whining was, at the same time, the most embarrassing and most entertaining, I had ever seen. Can't wait for a repeat!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: xlolx xlolx :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

mainejeff
August 23rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I wasn't promoting UNH, ( I have know Idea what Unh has) it just happened to be the last game they played. I could have said JMU (44-0 L I think), but that happened in the middle of the season. Reality is I was wondering if the are going to get better on D. They haven't been very good on that side in a couple of years.
Papa said the they were going to be. I was just wondering why he felt they were going to improve ( transfers /New players/New Scheme??? Etc.)

I think that it's scary that UNH gave up 47 points to Maine in that same game.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
I think that it's scary that UNH gave up 47 points to Maine in that same game.

What I found scary was how insecure Cosgrove must be that he had to keep the first string in after UNH took a 59-28 lead at the 12:35 mark of the 4th quarter when UNH clearly put subs in after that score. It was one of the most painful exhibitions that I've ever watched. And I thought the friggin' sun was going to set because he dragged the game on so long.

Mr. C
August 23rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Whatever you do, just beat *****ing Youngstown in order that that I-AA loss will hang over their season and be one of several reasons why they do not get into the playoffs again this year. Last year's whining was, at the same time, the most embarrassing and most entertaining, I had ever seen. Can't wait for a repeat!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: xlolx xlolx :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
Nothing new there. The Peguins always moan and complain when they are left out. Remember 2001, when they had to beat Marshall in their final game to get in, didn't and then cried for weeks.

Even in the worst of years, the Black Bears are always good for at least one upset during the year. This year, I think Maine can be a real dark horse in the A-10.

mainejeff
August 24th, 2006, 12:09 AM
What I found scary was how insecure Cosgrove must be that he had to keep the first string in after UNH took a 59-28 lead at the 12:35 mark of the 4th quarter when UNH clearly put subs in after that score. It was one of the most painful exhibitions that I've ever watched. And I thought the friggin' sun was going to set because he dragged the game on so long.

Why would Cosgrove allow his team to give up in their biggest game of the year vs. their arch rival with almost a whole quarter left in the game after the Black Bears had won their last 3?:confused:

coop
August 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Once again not promoting any other A-10 or other teams. Just wondering about the Maine Defense. I will take the silence & diversion to other topics as a sign that we can expect more of the same from them. Thanks for the info.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Why would Cosgrove allow his team to give up in their biggest game of the year vs. their arch rival with almost a whole quarter left in the game after the Black Bears had won their last 3?:confused:

Is there a different unwritten protocol in football than basketball? I thought when the team with the huge lead called off the dogs by pulling the starters that the losing team then also gave their subs an opportunity to play? :confused: :confused: :confused: With a 59-28 lead with 12:35 remaining, he couldn't possibly have felt there was a chance to win if UNH kept the first team offense in the game? They had scored 59 points in just over three quarters and the Maine defense had showed no signs of being able to stop the UNH offense. I'm sorry but the timeouts and onside kicks in the last couple of minutes of the game were ridiculous. :twocents:

4th 12:35 UNH - Boyle, Michael 48 yd pass from Santos, Ricky (McCormick, C. kick), 4-69 1:39, MAINE 28 - UNH 59
05:44 MAINE - Kevin McMahan 11 yd pass from Ron Whitcomb (Matt Voliva kick), 10-58 2:46, MAINE 35 - UNH 59
01:19 MAINE - Ryan Waller 8 yd pass from Ron Whitcomb (Ron Whitcomb pass failed), 10-93 1:49, MAINE 41 - UNH 59
00:07 MAINE - Kevin McMahan 17 yd pass from Ron Whitcomb (Ron Whitcomb pass failed), 8-54 1:11, MAINE 47 - UNH 59

Scoring 18 points in 1:19 is not a very realistic goal. Still not time to give QB #2 some playing time? It is in my book. Frankly, in my book at the 5:44 mark, it was time for Maine subs to see time.

Sorry for another diversion coop, it was late and I got baited by Jeff's comments which unfortunately diverted the discussion from Maine's defense.

GannonFan
August 24th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I don't understand the griping here - UNH blew out Maine and even with Maine playing their starters all the way to the end of the game it was still a double digit win. What's the problem? Maybe Maine wanted to keep their first stringers out there to build some positive momentum for next year? Maybe, since it was Maine's last game of the year, they wanted to play the senior starters as much as possible as for many their football careers would be over after the game. UNH is more than welcome to take their starters out - the game was won, and UNH had a playoff game to look forward to. But the losing team is never committed or forced to follow the same - they can keep playing as long as they like. Heck, if anything, I would've thought that UNH would be happy that their 2nd string defense was getting a chance to go up against a first string offense and get more experience that way. Just seems strange to be griping about this.

PapaBear
August 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I will take the silence & diversion to other topics as a sign that we can expect more of the same from them.

... or as a sign that I'm not going to try defending a statement that I never made.

My original "prediction" was that the Maine defense would be the strength of the team this year. Any inferences or comparisons you chose to draw from that statement are yours alone.

coop
August 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM
... or as a sign that I'm not going to try defending a statement that I never made.

My original "prediction" was that the Maine defense would be the strength of the team this year. Any inferences or comparisons you chose to draw from that statement are yours alone.

I was and still am curious to why you predict "the Maine defense would be the strength of the team this year." Thats all. Simple...

mainejeff
August 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I was and still am curious to why you predict "the Maine defense would be the strength of the team this year." Thats all. Simple...

2 Maine defensive starters have received the most pre-season hype. On paper it would seem to be one of the strengths of this Maine team. It is what it is.......let the games begin!

coop
August 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM
2 Maine defensive starters have received the most pre-season hype. On paper it would seem to be one of the strengths of this Maine team. It is what it is.......let the games begin!

Who are they? and thank you

GoGuins
August 24th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Nothing new there. The Peguins always moan and complain when they are left out. Remember 2001, when they had to beat Marshall in their final game to get in, didn't and then cried for weeks.

Even in the worst of years, the Black Bears are always good for at least one upset during the year. This year, I think Maine can be a real dark horse in the A-10.

Ahhh...Cap'n is just plain jealous :nod::D There's only one YSU fan on AGS that regularly whines about YSU getting shafted & it's not me

That was a tough task in 2001 to beat Marshall who at the time was ranked in the top 20. YSU was in control and leading in the second half

In the second half, P.J. Mays struck the MU defense again on YSU's first possession. Ending a 9-play, 75-yard opening drive, Mays waltzed into the endzone for a third time in the game, putting YSU up 21-17. Marshall suddenly found themselves sinking at home. YSU's Jake Stewart added a 39-yard field goal at the 6:00 mark, and YSU extended their lead to 24-17

Then the wheels fell off

However, just when you thought the unimaginable was going to happen, Marshall rallied back. Reeling off 21 unanswered points in three different scoring situations (run, pass, and interception return), the Herd safely put the Penguins away once and for all. First up was Brandon Carey's 2-yard run with 1:49 left in the third. Carey took the ball and did the up-and-over leap into the endzone, knotting the score at 24-24. On the Herd's first possession of the fourth, receiver Josh Davis caught a 14-yard Leftwich pass to put Marshall back in the slimmest of leads (7 points) at 31-24.

Then, MU defensive back Roberto Terrell blew the place up. With YSU driving toward the Marshall end zone for a potential game-tying score with less than a minute to go, Terrell dropped back in pass coverage and broke early on YSU quarterback Jeff Ryan's pass over the middle. Terrell picked off the pass and took off like a missile.

76 yards later Roberto Terrell ran into the endzone, only :11 remaining on the clock, to seal the too-close-for-comfort win for Marshall, 38-24.

YSU capitalized on a lackluster Marshall defensive performance, with the Penguins' P.J. Mays running for an amazing 202 yards, and the YSU offense running up an even more impressive 392 yards on the ground. With a running attack like that, YSU will go far in the 1-AA playoffs, it is safe to assume

Game was much closer than the final score

http://marshall.scout.com/2/26451.html

Box Score (Final)
Youngstown State vs Thundering Herd (Nov 24, 2001 at Huntington, WV)

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Youngstown State.... 7 7 10 0 - 24 Record: (8-3,5-2)
Thundering Herd..... 7 10 7 14 - 38 Record: (10-1,8-0)

Scoring Summary:

1st 11:26 YSU - MAYS, P.J. 10 yd run (STEWART, Jake kick), 5 plays, 68 yards, TOP 2:27, YSU 7 - MARSHALL 0
00:22 MARSHALL - WATTS, D. 11 yd pass from LEFTWICH, B. (HEAD, C. kick), 5 plays, 22 yards, TOP 2:20, YSU 7 - MARSHALL 7
2nd 12:20 MARSHALL - HEAD, C. 20 yd field goal, 8 plays, 14 yards, TOP 2:35, YSU 7 - MARSHALL 10
05:19 YSU - MAYS, P.J. 2 yd run (STEWART, Jake kick), 14 plays, 73 yards, TOP 7:01, YSU 14 - MARSHALL 10
02:58 MARSHALL - JONES, C. 20 yd pass from LEFTWICH, B. (HEAD, C. kick), 7 plays, 62 yards, TOP 2:21, YSU 14 - MARSHALL 17
3rd 10:16 YSU - MAYS, P.J. 6 yd run (STEWART, Jake kick), 11 plays, 75 yards, TOP 4:44, YSU 21 - MARSHALL 17
06:00 YSU - STEWART, Jake 39 yd field goal, 9 plays, 35 yards, TOP 3:57, YSU 24 - MARSHALL 17
01:49 MARSHALL - CAREY, B. 2 yd run (HEAD, C. kick), 13 plays, 69 yards, TOP 4:11, YSU 24 - MARSHALL 24
4th 12:43 MARSHALL - DAVIS, J. 14 yd pass from LEFTWICH, B. (HEAD, C. kick), 6 plays, 54 yards, TOP 2:06, YSU 24 - MARSHALL 31
00:11 MARSHALL - TERRELL, R. 76 yd interception return (HEAD, C. kick), , YSU 24 - MARSHALL 38

YSU MARSHALL
FIRST DOWNS................... 23 21
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 61-372 31-171
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 50 208
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 14-5-1 35-25-0
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 75-422 66-379
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 1-5
Punt Returns-Yards............ 3-22 2-24
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 6-101 5-122
Interception Returns-Yards.... 0-0 1-76
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 3-46.3 3-41.7
Fumbles-Lost.................. 2-2 1-1
Penalties-Yards............... 4-35 7-64
Possession Time............... 32:42 27:18
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 1-12

RUSHING: Youngstown State-MAYS, P.J. 30-201; BURNS, Mike 13-86; RYAN,
Jeff 17-74; STREET, Colby 1-11. Thundering Herd-CAREY, B. 20-104; BUGGS, T.
7-41; LEFTWICH, B. 4-26.

PASSING: Youngstown State-RYAN, Jeff 5-14-1-50. Thundering
Herd-LEFTWICH, B. 25-35-0-208.

RECEIVING: Youngstown State-MAYS, P.J. 2-24; DLUGOSZ, Dennis 1-15;
SCHUMACHER, J. 1-9; BURNS, Mike 1-2. Thundering Herd-DAVIS, J. 8-82; JONES,
C. 4-39; KELLETT, G. 4-23; WATTS, D. 3-24; BUGGS, T. 3-19; MARRIOTT, D.
2-16; CAREY, B. 1-5.

INTERCEPTIONS: Youngstown State-None. Thundering Herd-TERRELL, R.
1-76.

Stadium: Marshall Stadium Attendance: 16041
Kickoff time: 7:06 pm End of Game: 10:16 pm Total elapsed time: 3:10
Officials: Referee: Stan Evans; Umpire: Jeff Carr; Linesman: Jeffrey Baur;
Line judge: Dana McKenzie; Back judge: Thomas McCabe; Field judge: Rich Grube;
Side judge: Tony Robinson; Scorer: Ricky Hazel;
Temperature: 70 Wind: SSE 8 Weather: Cloudy with rain

ccd494
August 24th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Who are they? and thank you

Mike DeVito and Darren Stone.

Wmbgskip
August 24th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Anyone check the hurricane forecast for Sept. 8-16 for this year?

(Sorry, it had to be said.)

--Skip

NFLCB2
August 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM

The new D coordinator is Robb Smith served under former D cord coach Nagy So i dont think the D will be much different then last although they do have alot of talent in McCrossan ,King, Devito, Stone they still have alot of unproven youth and undeveloped upperclassmen on D

mainejeff
August 30th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Preview of the Defense and Special Teams is now up.........

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083006aaa.html