PDA

View Full Version : Heinicke wins the Payton

narc
December 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/odus-heinicke-wins-payton-fcs-heisman-trophy

smallcollegefbfan
December 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/odus-heinicke-wins-payton-fcs-heisman-trophy

Here is the TSN story: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/2012payton_Heinicke_xxx.htm

ITmonarch10
December 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Here is the TSN story: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/2012payton_Heinicke_xxx.htm

I'm glad he won he made ODU's offense a force to be reckon with.
Heres the Voting Break down. Surprised it wasn't closer and why did Colgate's QB get so many first place votes.

2012 Walter Payton Award Voting

Name
School
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
Total

1 Taylor Heinicke
Old Dominion

2 Miguel Maysonet
Stony Brook

3 Eric Breitenstein
Wofford

4 Erik Lora
Eastern Illinois

5 Gavin McCarney
Colgate

6 Casey Brockman
Murray St

7 Zach Zenner
South Dakota St

8 Aaron Mellette
Elon

9 DeNarius McGhee
Montana St

10 Jimmy Garoppolo
E. Illinois

11 Wynrick Smothers
C. Arkansas

12 Shakir Bell
Indiana St

13 Timothy Flanders
Sam Houston St

14 Jamal Jackson
Appalachian St

15 Brad Sorensen
Southern Utah

16 Deonte Williams
Cal Poly

17 Zach Bauman
N. Arizona

18 Terrance West
Towson

19 Matt Denham
E. Kentucky

20 Jamaine Cook
Youngstown State

fatmonarch
December 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I thought the vote would be much closer.

cpalum
December 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Much deserved...they picked the right guy

xcoach2
December 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Unlike the Buchanan winner, Heinicke deserved the Payton.

FargoBison
December 17th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Agree with the pick...Heinicke was very deserving.

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Maysonnet getting more votes than Breitenstein is a travesty though....

xcoach2
December 17th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Maysonnet getting more votes than Breitenstein is a travesty though....

Agree. Maysonnet is a heck of a player but benefits some from their system and schedule.

FargoBison
December 17th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yes, EB was the best offensive player I have seen live this year, surprised he didn't get second.

Red & Black
December 17th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Congrats to the kid, I don't think there was much question. That said, I'm kind of surprised EWU's Kaufman was nowhere on the list after breaking the single-season receiving record. Kinda puzzling.

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Agree. Maysonnet is a heck of a player but benefits some from their system and schedule.

You could say all players benefit from their system, but I think it's clear that EB performed better than Maysonnet.

I think it goes without saying EB played better rush defenses in USC, GSU, NDSU, etc and still pulled off 100 yard games in all but one.

He played 7 teams ranked 84 or lower in rush defense, a D2 team...., an Army defense that let up 500+ yards rushing to a 4-8 temple team. When he played Liberty and Montana state....legitimate run defenses, he got stomped for <100 yards.
He played well against an average Nova Defense and FBS Syracuse....

^^^^I just don't think that is better than Breitenstein, who ran for >100 in all but one game (of which he was taken out of at the beginning of the second quarter), including against GSU, South Carolina, NDSU, and Chattanooga....heck, most of the Socon, despite being blurred rush defense-wise by three triple option teams had 4 teams (5 counting Wofford) who had better defenses than 9/11 of SBU's schedule.

slostang
December 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Well deserved. Congrats to Heinicke and ODU.

BadlandsBison
December 17th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Kaufman is overrated. Why would it be surprising to see him excluded?

slostang
December 17th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Your low IQ is showing.

xcoach2
December 17th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Congrats to the kid, I don't think there was much question. That said, I'm kind of surprised EWU's Kaufman was nowhere on the list after breaking the single-season receiving record. Kinda puzzling.

Damn - I didn't realize he was left off. Wow.

slostang
December 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Damn - I didn't realize he was left off. Wow.

Kaufman is a beast.

MR. CHICKEN
December 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
You could say all players benefit from their system, but I think it's clear that EB performed better than Maysonnet.

I think it goes without saying EB played better rush defenses in USC, GSU, NDSU, etc and still pulled off 100 yard games in all but one.

I know playoff games don't count in voting.....but really I don't buy Maysonnet's performance during the year warranting more votes.

He played 7 teams ranked 84 or lower in rush defense, a D2 team...., an Army defense that let up 500+ yards rushing to a 4-8 temple team. When he played Liberty and Montana state....legitimate run defenses, he got stomped for <100 yards.
He played well against an average Nova Defense and FBS Syracuse....

^^^^I just don't think that is better than Breitenstein.

YEOW!.......GOOD RESEARCH........AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
December 17th, 2012, 09:31 PM

17406.....WOW!...JES' FOURTEEN POSTS......AN' MO'S.....ARE..JES'...POKIN' STICKS.....AT LIONS......xconfusedx....AWK!

Walkon79
December 17th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Unlike the Buchanan winner, Heinicke deserved the Payton.

What the hell is your problem with Montana State!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcoach2
December 17th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Absolutely zero problems with MSU. Just' wasn't impressed with McGhee, Owens or Schreibeis.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
December 17th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Absolutely zero problems with MSU. Just' wasn't impressed with McGhee, Owens or Schreibeis.

You're unimpressed with someone who had 290 yards against you, played less than half a game, and had 7 tackles against you. That's cool we played 12 other games that you could look at to make an opinion but I see you have absolutely not a speck of interest in doing something logical like that.

Walkon79
December 17th, 2012, 09:50 PM
You've been bashing the Cats ever since you came out (from whatever hole you crawl into for 10 months every year). Can't wait until January 6th when you crawl back in!

xcoach2
December 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
You're unimpressed with someone who had 290 yards against you, played less than half a game, and had 7 tackles against you. That's cool we played 12 other games that you could look at to make an opinion but I see you have absolutely not a speck of interest in doing something logical like that.

McGhee did not deserve to be a first team AA. Not even close. You guys should give your SID a raise. I'm still waiting on Schreibeis' stat line vs Sam.

Red & Black
December 17th, 2012, 10:05 PM

Bwahahahahah!

Walkon79
December 17th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Oh right. Cherry picking one stat line, good or bad means something? Grow the h--- up, tool!

We're tired of your act, seriously.

woffordgrad94
December 17th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Let's call it what it is...BS. This Mayonnaise guy played in a weaker conference and got fewer yards than EB. I am sure that Sweetness would not be happy. EB is clearly a better back than Mayonnaise and should've been second. I don't mince words. Since this is America you are free to disagree with me, but if you do then you are WRONG!

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM

Agreed

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

slostang
December 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Agreed

Your ignorance has no limits.

Red & Black
December 17th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Your ignorance has no limits.

+1

Walkon79
December 17th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Congrats to Heinicke, BTW

Helluva season and many more to come!

woffordgrad94
December 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Something to ponder...

EB ran for over 100 yards against a tough SEC defense in South Carolina. It is not an everyday occurance for an FCS back to run for over 100 on a good BCS conference team. That alone should've put him ahead of Mayonnaise, whom the Gamecocks would've bottled up and held to under 50 yards in my opinion.

Red & Black
December 17th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Agreed

Yes, Kaufman is completely over-rated. He only broke the FCS single-season receiving record (1,850 yards and 16 TD's) and came close to breaking Randy Moss' record for yards in a single postseason (634), even though Kaufman played in only three postseason games to Moss' 4. Kaufman had 600 yards in his three postseason games. Next season he will break every FCS/1AA receiving record in existance unless he comes out early, which I don't think he will.

But I can see how you might think he's over-rated.

woffordgrad94
December 17th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I don't know a lot about this Kaufman guy, but it sounds like he should've been ahead of Mayonnaise too.

Redwyn
December 18th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I don't know a lot about this Kaufman guy, but it sounds like he should've been ahead of Mayonnaise too.

mmmmm yummy tearsss

1. I can't tell if you're being racist, or just a moron. But whatever, I guess that's how you roll. Can't blame Wofford, I know many a grad from there and they're all class acts...then there's you.

2. I'm very confused by your argument. You're saying that because your back got more yards than Maysonet in Wofford's BLATANTLY unidimensional, single player centric offense, he should suddenly be considered better.

I mean, I don't think people realize how unidimensional Wofford's offense is, so let's compare it to SBU:

Season Totals
Passing
Wofford: 663 (seriously?!? 663 for the entire season! I checked one game, you guys had FIVE yards passing vs. WCU)
Stony Brook: 2096 (Our QB also had a higher efficiency rating than yours, even though he had 205 attempts to Wofford's 88 combined, between 3 QBs)

Rushing:
Wofford: 4546 on 766 attempts, averaging 5.93 yards per carry. This average reflects all 19 players who ran for Wofford this season
Stony Brook: 3582 on 589 attempts, averaging 6.1 yards per carry. This average reflects all 9 players who ran for SBU this season. Maysonet and Coker (U Iowa transfer who was #2 in Big Ten in rushing last season) split carries evenly

Summary: SBU threw nearly 300% more than Wofford, and ran nearly 200 times fewer - though managed to gain more per carry than Wofford. So we can therefore conclude that we're comparing a unidimensional rush-only offense at Wofford (were you guys Option or something?) to SBU's pro-style. So my question to you is: how in your right mind do you realistically want to compare these two players on purely yardage gained, when realistically the teams they played on employed COMPLETELY different systems. I thought you southern guys knew football?

Individual (Maysonet vs. Breitenstein)
Rushing Attempts
Maysonet: 267
Breitenstein: 290

Yards
Maysonet: 2025
Breitenstein: 2035

YPC
Maysonet: 7.4
Breitenstein: 7.0

Touchdowns
Maysonet: 21
Breitenstein: 19

Summary: Breintenstein got the ball more but only managed 10 total more yards and 2 fewer TDs in a system where he was the #1 undisputed back. Maysonet ran 23 fewer times, averaged more yards, got more TDs, and split carries evenly with Coker (1061 yds and 9 TDs on 210 carries). So now we see that - rather than whatever you were blathering - Maysonet had Breitenstein beat in every single statistical category but total yards, even while running less and splitting overall carries.

Now, the South Carolina game you were boasting. You mentioned this 100+ yard game. Did you mention the stats?
Number of passing plays by Wofford that game: Three. Only one completion
Number of run plays by Breitenstein: 28
Yards by Breitenstein: 125, netting 4.5 per carry (less YPC than his backup, who had 10 carries)

Now for SBU, the Montana State game
Number of passing plays by SBU: 19 (10 completions for 122 yards and a TD)
Number of running plays by Maysonet: 19 (Coker had 12)
Yards by Maysonet: 89, netting 4.4 per carry (Coker had 60 yds on 4.7 YPC)

Summary: Breintenstein was the ONLY offense Wofford brought to that game, and basically ran every play - still only netting 125 yards. Maysonet split carries with Coker, and was only .1 YPC shorter than Breitenstein against one of the top run defenses in FCS. If anyone watches SBU, they would know that in close games Coker gets a LOT more carries. Coker serves as the "meat grinder", pulverizing a run defense and causing them to creep in so the QB can make long plays.

Take it for what you want. But not only was Maysonet the better RB this season, he was statistically superior in EVERY category but the one you touted - category that is irrelevant when comparing two totally different offenses. Fact is, Maysonet will get drafted, and Maysonet will see the field on Sundays one day soon. I wish the best to Breitenstein as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Way to go Heinike, hell of a year for sure. As to who is second and third, I wasn't pulling for either since I have no vested interest in it and I sure couldn't say one was better than the other either way after watching em' play several times. Both are real good.

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 12:27 AM
There's no way that I am being racist as I don't even know what color Mayonnaise is. But I do know that most Wofford fans agree with me on this. And I am classy, except when I think someone got the shaft like EB did. Just forget all of your little stats...EB got chopped and screwed. We will have to agree to disagree here.

Redwyn
December 18th, 2012, 12:30 AM
There's no way that I am being racist as I don't even know what color Mayonnaise is. But I do know that most Wofford fans agree with me on this. And I am classy, except when I think someone got the shaft like EB did. Just forget all of your little stats...EB got chopped and screwed. We will have to agree to disagree here.

An amazing phenomenon - a school's fans thinking their player was the best. Totally novel and unique to this situation here ;-)

Of course we'll agree to disagree. I mean, what influence would little things like facts have when you've already decided? Thank god you're not a judge. I might be on death row!

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 12:30 AM
PS. That unidimensional offense got us to the final 8. And EB basically carried his team's offense on his back that far. Yet another reason he should've been voted at least second.

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 12:33 AM
An amazing phenomenon - a school's fans thinking their player was the best. Totally novel and unique to this situation here ;-)

Of course we'll agree to disagree. I mean, what influence would little things like facts have when you've already decided? Thank god you're not a judge. I might be on death row!

You'd only be on death row if you shot a bunch of school kids or something like that.

Redwyn
December 18th, 2012, 12:35 AM
PS. That unidimensional offense got us to the final 8. And EB basically carried his team's offense on his back that far. Yet another reason he should've been voted at least second.

To your first post - you're absolutely right. It's not like SBU wasn't in the top 8 either or something ;-)

To your second post - stay classy bro. Seriously. I think I need to take a shower now because of that. I live like a half hour out of there.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2012, 12:35 AM

I'm sure you don't see how dumb this looks but trust me, it's pretty f'n dumb.

To take aim at one of the brighter parts in the post...did you recently rent some old Lou Gossett Jr. movies?

http://sfj70.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515ddf69e2011168969fa0970c-500wi

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Ursus, I saw An Officer And A Gentleman on Netflix two weeks ago!

I'd like to see the Stony Brook guy register and post his stuff on terrier fans.com and get mowed over like so many summertime lawn weeds. If he dares!

Man this is fun!!!!

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Don't get your panties in a bunch over something little old me said here.

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 12:50 AM
And I don't in any way condone what happened in Connecticut. Are you insinuating that I did? Wow, talk about a misunderstanding if so! I want that child killer burning in hell, just for the record. I'm going back to work now. This long outage is making me crazy!

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Well, M had a lot of help remember? EB took Wofford there himself, unidimensional as we are. And you just misunderstood my second post- it was not an attemp at humor. I would only send someone to death row for something that bad, not for something dumb like this argument we are having.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2012, 12:55 AM
mmmmm yummy tearsss

1. I can't tell if you're being racist, or just a moron. But whatever, I guess that's how you roll. Can't blame Wofford, I know many a grad from there and they're all class acts...then there's you.

2. I'm very confused by your argument. You're saying that because your back got more yards than Maysonet in Wofford's BLATANTLY unidimensional, single player centric offense, he should suddenly be considered better.

I mean, I don't think people realize how unidimensional Wofford's offense is, so let's compare it to SBU:

Season Totals
Passing
Wofford: 663 (seriously?!? 663 for the entire season! I checked one game, you guys had FIVE yards passing vs. WCU)
Stony Brook: 2096 (Our QB also had a higher efficiency rating than yours, even though he had 205 attempts to Wofford's 88 combined, between 3 QBs)

Rushing:
Wofford: 4546 on 766 attempts, averaging 5.93 yards per carry. This average reflects all 19 players who ran for Wofford this season
Stony Brook: 3582 on 589 attempts, averaging 6.1 yards per carry. This average reflects all 9 players who ran for SBU this season. Maysonet and Coker (U Iowa transfer who was #2 in Big Ten in rushing last season) split carries evenly

Summary: SBU threw nearly 300% more than Wofford, and ran nearly 200 times fewer - though managed to gain more per carry than Wofford. So we can therefore conclude that we're comparing a unidimensional rush-only offense at Wofford (were you guys Option or something?) to SBU's pro-style. So my question to you is: how in your right mind do you realistically want to compare these two players on purely yardage gained, when realistically the teams they played on employed COMPLETELY different systems. I thought you southern guys knew football?

Individual (Maysonet vs. Breitenstein)
Rushing Attempts
Maysonet: 267
Breitenstein: 290

Yards
Maysonet: 2025
Breitenstein: 2035

YPC
Maysonet: 7.4
Breitenstein: 7.0

Touchdowns
Maysonet: 21
Breitenstein: 19

Summary: Breintenstein got the ball more but only managed 10 total more yards and 2 fewer TDs in a system where he was the #1 undisputed back. Maysonet ran 23 fewer times, averaged more yards, got more TDs, and split carries evenly with Coker (1061 yds and 9 TDs on 210 carries). So now we see that - rather than whatever you were blathering - Maysonet had Breitenstein beat in every single statistical category but total yards, even while running less and splitting overall carries.

Now, the South Carolina game you were boasting. You mentioned this 100+ yard game. Did you mention the stats?
Number of passing plays by Wofford that game: Three. Only one completion
Number of run plays by Breitenstein: 28
Yards by Breitenstein: 125, netting 4.5 per carry (less YPC than his backup, who had 10 carries)

Now for SBU, the Montana State game
Number of passing plays by SBU: 19 (10 completions for 122 yards and a TD)
Number of running plays by Maysonet: 19 (Coker had 12)
Yards by Maysonet: 89, netting 4.4 per carry (Coker had 60 yds on 4.7 YPC)

Summary: Breintenstein was the ONLY offense Wofford brought to that game, and basically ran every play - still only netting 125 yards. Maysonet split carries with Coker, and was only .1 YPC shorter than Breitenstein against one of the top run defenses in FCS. If anyone watches SBU, they would know that in close games Coker gets a LOT more carries. Coker serves as the "meat grinder", pulverizing a run defense and causing them to creep in so the QB can make long plays.

Take it for what you want. But not only was Maysonet the better RB this season, he was statistically superior in EVERY category but the one you touted - category that is irrelevant when comparing two totally different offenses. Fact is, Maysonet will get drafted, and Maysonet will see the field on Sundays one day soon. I wish the best to Breitenstein as well.

Let's dissect the stupidity of this post, piece by piece.

1)How in the hell did you put race in this? There's absolutely no way that can be done. Seriously. So yeah, shut up.

2)If you think the option is more one dimensional than SBU's offense is, you'd be wrong. SBU had 3500 yards rushing, with roughly 2000 yards going to Maysonnet; Wofford rushed for 4500 yards, with only 2000 going to EB. In other words, Maysonnet had more than 50% of the yardage, maybe closer to 60% of the yardage. EB, a little more than 40%. If anything, SBU's offense is designed for Maysonnet to thrive. At best, neither system aids either back more.

3)You're being very very picky with the stats you're using and you clearly haven't watched a single down of Wofford football considering you aren't even sure what kind of offense we run

For one, I think it's safe to say that Maysonnet's stats and EB's stats were roughly the same with an average of 1-2 carries more a game and 10 yards being marginal at best. As for EB being the undisputed back, that's right and it's wrong (showcasing your ignorance) in that everyone knew EB was getting the ball...but at the same time the option is meant for multiple players to potentially get the ball (our number 2 rusher was hurt most of the year, making us a little more one-dimensional than usual)

For your SC stats, you're flipping your argumentation to where you're contradicting yourself and nullifying information to make things sound better. At the beginning you make it seem like EB is the only back we had, but then you try to imply he wasn't impressive by saying that another back averaged more ypc. Which one is it? Also, we completed one pass in SC, true, but it was for 76 yards. You try to make it look like we performed poorly but really you're being a propagator.

Additionally, you continue to neglect the stats that matter---the performance of each back against quality rush defenses.
Maysonnet performed his yards against 7 teams ranked 84th or worse in rush defense, a terrible Army team that let Temple rush for over 500 yards (and 6 teams outside of SBU ran for 200 yards plus), and a D2 team. They played 2 defenses in the top 50 of rush defense and Maysonnett stumbled, getting less than 100 yards rushing in each affair. Of the 2 remaining games, He ran well against an average at best Syracuse team and a Villanova team that came from an air-it out conference with an average rush defense(in a game at which Stony brook had no passing game)

Compare that With EB, who had 100 yards in every game, minus one at which he had 7 carries and came out in the second quarter after we were up 35-0. EB got his yards against everyone. The Socon rushing defense stats are skewed due to having 3 option teams, but even with that we played 4 teams with better rush defenses than Maysonnet faced over most of the year. True, Wofford played 6 teams in the bottom 40ish as well, but as mentioned, it's not the same thing because those were socon teams who's stats were skewed by playing 3 option teams. For instance, New Hampshire doesn't play in the Socon, but I know for a fact that they were top 70 in rush defense before they played us.....then we ran for like 450 on them and they dropped to 92. The Socon is without a doubt a harder conference than the Big South offensively and defensively. Take that to the bank any day of the week.

Heck, people knew EB was going to get the ball.....and they still couldn't stop him. He got his yards. Every time. Maysonnet didn't. He only played 3 decent defense the whole year. He had good numbers against Syracuse and got shut down against Montana state and Liberty. No one shut down EB all year. No one.

The owner of the Panthers is a Wofford alumnus and they need a bruising short yardage fullback. We haven't seen the last of EB.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2012, 01:00 AM
To your first post - you're absolutely right. It's not like SBU wasn't in the top 8 either or something ;-)

To your second post - stay classy bro. Seriously. I think I need to take a shower now because of that. I live like a half hour out of there.

Stony Brook was overrated and won a swiss cheese schedule.

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 01:03 AM
One more point. This guy says everyone from Wofford is classy but me. You can't judge a person by a message board. I am good off of here... And on here too sometimes. If you really knew me as a person. You'd think differently and when you saw my post you'd just say "ha, that wacky son of a gun!"

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 01:04 AM
And didn't SB lose in the Round of 16 anyway? They were not a final 8 team.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
And didn't SB lose in the Round of 16 anyway? They were not a final 8 team.

they did. to a Montana State team that got the floor wiped with them by Sam Houston....at home no less. twas yet another failure on his part.

blueballs
December 18th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Heineke deserved the award... He had a great year. FWIW I would have given it to hin last year too.

After that? A lot of curiouis stuiff going on in FCS post season awaeds- not just the Payton. To wit:

Britenstein behind Maysonette? Seriously??? Put Maysonette against Wofford's schedule and his production gets cut by a third at least.

NcGhee first team all american? Seriously???

McKinnon from GSU didn't even make all conference and got no all american mention or Payton votes? Seriously????

The EWU WR being basically overlooked? Seriously???

More later...

Saint3333
December 18th, 2012, 07:51 AM
EB should have been second. Every team knew he was going to get the ball 20 times a game and game planned to stop him first. Guess what they didn't. Wofford clearly had the tougher schedule as well. EB didn't play much vs. the D2 program on the schedule in case that's your argument vs. SOS.

When someone plays the race card they know that's their only leg to stand on, and that was WEAK.

Congrats to Heinicke no doubt he was the clear favorite.

eaglewraith
December 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM
So are they not waiting for the ceremony to announce these things anymore?

dungeonjoe
December 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Let's dissect the stupidity of this post, piece by piece.

1)How in the hell did you put race in this? There's absolutely no way that can be done. Seriously. So yeah, shut up.

2)If you think the option is more one dimensional than SBU's offense is, you'd be wrong. SBU had 3500 yards rushing, with roughly 2000 yards going to Maysonnet; Wofford rushed for 4500 yards, with only 2000 going to EB. In other words, Maysonnet had more than 50% of the yardage, maybe closer to 60% of the yardage. EB, a little more than 40%. If anything, SBU's offense is designed for Maysonnet to thrive. At best, neither system aids either back more.

3)You're being very very picky with the stats you're using and you clearly haven't watched a single down of Wofford football considering you aren't even sure what kind of offense we run

For one, I think it's safe to say that Maysonnet's stats and EB's stats were roughly the same with an average of 1-2 carries more a game and 10 yards being marginal at best. As for EB being the undisputed back, that's right and it's wrong (showcasing your ignorance) in that everyone knew EB was getting the ball...but at the same time the option is meant for multiple players to potentially get the ball (our number 2 rusher was hurt most of the year, making us a little more one-dimensional than usual)

For your SC stats, you're flipping your argumentation to where you're contradicting yourself and nullifying information to make things sound better. At the beginning you make it seem like EB is the only back we had, but then you try to imply he wasn't impressive by saying that another back averaged more ypc. Which one is it? Also, we completed one pass in SC, true, but it was for 76 yards. You try to make it look like we performed poorly but really you're being a propagator.

Additionally, you continue to neglect the stats that matter---the performance of each back against quality rush defenses.
Maysonnet performed his yards against 7 teams ranked 84th or worse in rush defense, a terrible Army team that let Temple rush for over 500 yards (and 6 teams outside of SBU ran for 200 yards plus), and a D2 team. They played 2 defenses in the top 50 of rush defense and Maysonnett stumbled, getting less than 100 yards rushing in each affair. Of the 2 remaining games, He ran well against an average at best Syracuse team and a Villanova team that came from an air-it out conference with an average rush defense(in a game at which Stony brook had no passing game)

Compare that With EB, who had 100 yards in every game, minus one at which he had 7 carries and came out in the second quarter after we were up 35-0. EB got his yards against everyone. The Socon rushing defense stats are skewed due to having 3 option teams, but even with that we played 4 teams with better rush defenses than Maysonnet faced over most of the year. True, Wofford played 6 teams in the bottom 40ish as well, but as mentioned, it's not the same thing because those were socon teams who's stats were skewed by playing 3 option teams. For instance, New Hampshire doesn't play in the Socon, but I know for a fact that they were top 70 in rush defense before they played us.....then we ran for like 450 on them and they dropped to 92. The Socon is without a doubt a harder conference than the Big South offensively and defensively. Take that to the bank any day of the week.

Heck, people knew EB was going to get the ball.....and they still couldn't stop him. He got his yards. Every time. Maysonnet didn't. He only played 3 decent defense the whole year. He had good numbers against Syracuse and got shut down against Montana state and Liberty. No one shut down EB all year. No one.

The owner of the Panthers is a Wofford alumnus and they need a bruising short yardage fullback. We haven't seen the last of EB. 2am post? I am glad my snoring at the other end of the house did not disturb your rational, cogent post.

A poster on terrierfans noted how quarterbacks have won the Payton award since 2003, I think. One wonders if Payton himself would get the award in this QB loving world.

Saint3333
December 18th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I disagree the Panthers need a FB like EB. Tolbert is that guy.

fmrbearkat
December 18th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Nobody has a problem with Monty State around here. Your De should not have won the award. If anybody on your team should have won it it would be Jody Owens. He was one of the best athletes i watched all season! Your DE that won it didn't even make an impact on the game and he played the whole game. I didn't even realize yall had an above average D-lineman!! You better believe i knew who Jody was....He was in on nearly every play and only played half the game!!!

Edit: Here meaning SHSU! Heard nothing but positive from the players and their families about Bozeman and the people there. Definately some place i want to visit now. Wearing Bearkat orange with 2011 and 2012 Big Sky Champs on the back of course xlolx

DJnva
December 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM
So are they not waiting for the ceremony to announce these things anymore?

The ceremony was last night.

SpeedkingATL
December 18th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Heineke deserved the award... He had a great year. FWIW I would have given it to hin last year too.

After that? A lot of curiouis stuiff going on in FCS post season awaeds- not just the Payton. To wit:

Britenstein behind Maysonette? Seriously??? Put Maysonette against Wofford's schedule and his production gets cut by a third at least.

NcGhee first team all american? Seriously???

McKinnon from GSU didn't even make all conference and got no all american mention or Payton votes? Seriously????

The EWU WR being basically overlooked? Seriously???

More later...

Good to see Heineke, a kid from the Atlanta area get the Payton; just hope in a couple of years pro scouts look at more than his height when judging him.

Gotta agree that McKinnon not making any SoCon all conference team was a huge oversight. I realize as an option QB that also played some RB that he was hard to characterize but geez at least put him in as "athlete". If the vote had happened after the playoffs I expect he wouldn't have been ignored.

Walkon79
December 18th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Nobody has a problem with Monty State around here. Your De should not have won the award. If anybody on your team should have won it it would be Jody Owens. He was one of the best athletes i watched all season! Your DE that won it didn't even make an impact on the game and he played the whole game. I didn't even realize yall had an above average D-lineman!! You better believe i knew who Jody was....He was in on nearly every play and only played half the game!!!

Edit: Here meaning SHSU! Heard nothing but positive from the players and their families about Bozeman and the people there. Definately some place i want to visit now. Wearing Bearkat orange with 2011 and 2012 Big Sky Champs on the back of course xlolx

Wasn't directed at you fmrbearkat. but your fellow Sam fan xcoach (of Pop Warner) took every opportunity to bash every post season award given to an MSU player.

Most of the Sam fans were great, and as I understand it had a great time in Bozeman. This guy just needs to go away.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2012, 09:49 AM
It's not so much Breitenstein finishing behind Maysonet. I can't believe so many people did not vote him as one of the top 5 players in the FCS.

woffordgrad94
December 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Ignorance. Most of these people never got the pleasure of seeing EB play.

catbob
December 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM
McGhee did not deserve to be a first team AA. Not even close. You guys should give your SID a raise. I'm still waiting on Schreibeis' stat line vs Sam.

He had more tackles than anyone on SHSU's defense that day. Of course we didn't give SHSU any reason to have to tackle us... :(

xcoach2
December 18th, 2012, 10:14 AM
He had more tackles than anyone on SHSU's defense that day.

So how many tackles? Kenneth Jenkins had several big hits in that game.

catbob
December 18th, 2012, 10:17 AM
So how many tackles? Kenneth Jenkins had several big hits in that game.

7 tackles, 4th on MSU. Highest number from a BKat was 6 by several guys.

eaglewraith
December 18th, 2012, 10:36 AM
The ceremony was last night.

Oh my bad, thought they were waiting til right before the championship game. Thought they did it in conjunction with the championship game weekend. I'm all out of sorts I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

Kemo
December 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Top 3 RBs all had equally great years in terms of statistics. A good case could be made for any of them.

Rank Name Team Cl Pos G Att Yds TD Yds/Att Rush Yds/G
1 Zach Zenner South Dakota St. So. RB 13 300 2044 13 6.81 157.23
2 Eric Breitenstein Wofford Sr. RB 13 290 2035 19 7.02 156.54
3 Miguel Maysonet Stony Brook Sr. RB 13 267 1964 21 7.36 151.08

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/1001

blueballs
December 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Top 3 RBs all had equally great years in terms of statistics. A good case could be made for any of them.

Rank Name Team Cl Pos G Att Yds TD Yds/Att Rush Yds/G
1 Zach Zenner South Dakota St. So. RB 13 300 2044 13 6.81 157.23
2 Eric Breitenstein Wofford Sr. RB 13 290 2035 19 7.02 156.54
3 Miguel Maysonet Stony Brook Sr. RB 13 267 1964 21 7.36 151.08

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/1001

Good stuff Kemo...

Those stats underscore how badly McKinnon of GSU got hosed by the media both in the SoCon and nationally.

In 8 games against teams ranked in the top 25 including (at the time) #1 NDSU, #3 ODU, #5 Wofford, #7 UCA, and BCS #3 UGA McKinnon averaged 159 yards per game.

Apphole
December 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Most of these people never got the pleasure of seeing EB play.

I mean.....the guy was a beast, don't get me wrong. The perfect workhorse for your offense, but let's not pretend that EB, or Wofford for that matter, is exciting to watch. Four-yard dive plays over and over and over with occasional long runs up the middle will get you wins and stats, but they have no place on a highlight reel.

I may be spoiled from watching the spread for so long, so take it for what it's worth.

EB has the best looking beard I have ever seen.

MR. CHICKEN
December 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I mean.....the guy was a beast, don't get me wrong. The perfect workhorse for your offense, but let's not pretend that EB, or Wofford for that matter, is exciting to watch. Four-yard dive plays over and over and over with occasional long runs up the middle will get you wins and stats, but they have no place on a highlight reel.

I may be spoiled from watching the spread for so long, so take it for what it's worth.

EB has the best looking beard I have ever seen.

AH LOVE DUH FULLBACK....LONG RUNS UP DUH MIDDLE....ALA....ADRIAN PETERSON....& ....YOUNG BREITENSTEIN.....WING-T...FB'S.....COOD DO IT TOO!.....AWK!

AH LOVE DUH TIGHTEND..OVERAH...DUH MIDDLE......DEEP & STUMBLIN'/BUMBLIN'........YEAH......AH LIKE DAT......BRAWK!

heath
December 18th, 2012, 06:17 PM
He should have been 1st team AA everywhere,at least somebody got it right. Congrats to OU(they did not have a D this season) on a great season.

bojeta
December 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Top two were perfect picks! Great job, and congratulations! Buchanan, and Eddie Robinson Awards were also a great selections!

ngineer
December 18th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Solid decision. Not close.

BadlandsBison
December 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Yes, Kaufman is completely over-rated. He only broke the FCS single-season receiving record (1,850 yards and 16 TD's) and came close to breaking Randy Moss' record for yards in a single postseason (634), even though Kaufman played in only three postseason games to Moss' 4. Kaufman had 600 yards in his three postseason games. Next season he will break every FCS/1AA receiving record in existance unless he comes out early, which I don't think he will.

But I can see how you might think he's over-rated.

Those stats would be impressive if he were playing teams that played defense. 1800 yards against Big Fluffy D's dont mean much. How many yards do you think he would have had playing in the MVFC? My guess is you could shave off at least a third of those yards as we don't have NorCol, Idaho St or UC Davis etc.

bojeta
December 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Those stats would be impressive if he were playing teams that played defense. 1800 yards against Big Fluffy D's dont mean much. How many yards do you think he would have had playing in the MVFC? My guess is you could shave off at least a third of those yards as we don't have NorCol, Idaho St or UC Davis etc.

Here we go again.... Are you going to continue to talk smack if SHSU runs up more yardage against NDSU than they did against Cal Poly? Cal Poly shut them down. Will NDSU do the same? What will you say if that's not the case. Shall we start calling the MVFC the Mashmallow Valley Conference? Personally, I think the MVFC teams are pretty tough, but if we have to go by your criteria...., just saying...

Red & Black
December 18th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Ok, I'll bite. Let's get real here. First off, EWU didn't play Idaho State or UNC this year, so there goes that argument. Secondly, I have little doubt that Kaufman would put up similar numbers in this offense against any other FCS conference. He did it to two FBS schools as well, and as I mentioned earlier, 600 of those those yards came during playoff games not against "Big Fluffy" defenses and if we had found a way to stop SHSU on their final drive he would have had the opportunity to break Moss's post-season yardage record. Ask SHSU or Illinois State fans if he is over-rated, or for that matter Nova or Delaware fans. The dude is legit, 6'5 and runs a 4.48.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
December 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Ok, I'll bite. Let's get real here. First off, EWU didn't play Idaho State or UNC this year, so there goes that argument. Secondly, I have little doubt that Kaufman would put up similar numbers in this offense against any other FCS conference. He did it to two FBS schools as well, and as I mentioned earlier, 600 of those those yards came during playoff games not against "Big Fluffy" defenses and if we had found a way to stop SHSU on their final drive he would have had the opportunity to break Moss's post-season yardage record. Ask SHSU or Illinois State fans if he is over-rated, or for that matter Nova or Delaware fans. The dude is legit, 6'5 and runs a 4.48.

You shouldn't have bit, it's 100% hopeless. I sincerely hope Badlands doesn't truly believe what he's saying, because he's been blatantly wrong on multiple occasions, including this one.

Red & Black
December 18th, 2012, 08:37 PM
You shouldn't have bit, it's 100% hopeless. I sincerely hope Badlands doesn't truly believe what he's saying, because he's been blatantly wrong on multiple occasions, including this one.

You're right. Shouldn't feed the trolls.
No where's that ignore button...