View Full Version : Coaching carousel: NDSU next?

BEAR
December 17th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Wisconsin: It will be interesting to see if Barry Alvarez contacts North Dakota State head coach Craig Bohl after the FCS national championship game. While there has been some speculation that Western Michigan may have interest in Bohl, a source tells me that Bohl would not be interested in the Western Michigan job. In recent years, he did not have interest in other MAC jobs like Ball State and Northern Illinois. Like Alvarez, Bohl (54) is a Nebraska guy who coached with the Huskers from 1995 - 2002. Bohl, however, did coach at Wisconsin from 1987 - 1988. As pointed out earlier tonight, there's always a strong chance your new head coach will have previous coaching experience at the university. In related news, Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco told CBS today that he has not heard from Wisconsin.

http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

BEAR
December 17th, 2012, 02:53 PM
New rumor:

LA Tech: Don't be surprised if Central Arkansas wide receivers coach Matt Kubik ends up on Skip Holtz' staff at LA Tech.

BEAR
December 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Delaware: Offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Jim Hofher will not return to the staff.

frozennorth
December 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Wisconsin is one of a handful of jobs that I think Bohl would ever be interested in. As of now, I think he is gone.

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Wisconsin fans are still sore about Don Morton, but the fans don't make the decision.

frozennorth
December 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Wisconsin fans are still sore about Don Morton, but the fans don't make the decision.

don morton gets a bad rap, wisconsin was already in mid-swan-dive into the dumpster

Go Green
December 17th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Delaware: Offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Jim Hofher will not return to the staff.

Cornell has an unexpected opening. Hofher had a nice run there in the 1990s.

Twentysix
December 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't believe very many jobs for bohl. But I have no doubt that he would take the Wisconsin Job. That is a great job and being a HC in the B1G is quite the opportunity, especially for the badgers. Especially at around 2.6m/yr before bonuses.

BEAR
December 17th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Northwestern State: Sources tell me that Northwestern State officials now have interest in Missouri Southern defensive coordinator Jay Thomas.

WeAreNorthDakota
December 17th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I don't think there's any way Bohl would turn down Wisconsin. I can see turning down non-BCS, rebuilding jobs but this is not only a Big Ten job, he'd take over a team coming off back to back Rose Bowl appearances.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure there's a single head football coach in FCS, or hell, non-BCS schools, that wouldn't want the Wisconsin job.

BEAR
December 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM
1. More money.
2. More prestige
3. Championship banners NOT sent to other Wisconsin schools.
4. More money.
5. More money.

BisonFan02
December 17th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'm not sure there's a single head football coach in FCS, or hell, non-BCS schools, that wouldn't want the Wisconsin job.

I don't think a BCS level school like Wisconsin can afford to go after a guy like Bohl or a FCS coach without an uproar from their fanbase. These schools are going to want to see bigger names. No doubt Bohl would be a good fit (along with alot of his staff) in Wisconsin, but I'll believe it when I see it.

HannahO
December 17th, 2012, 04:51 PM
1. More money.
2. More prestige
4. More money.
5. More money.

6. Not playing indoors.
7. Not having to wear yellow.

FargoBison
December 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I don't think a BCS level school like Wisconsin can afford to go after a guy like Bohl or a FCS coach without an uproar from their fanbase. These schools are going to want to see bigger names. No doubt Bohl would be a good fit (along with alot of his staff) in Wisconsin, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually Wisconsin is one of the few places where that could happen, not saying it will happen just saying that if Alvarez thinks Bohl is the guy to lead Wisconsin their fans will fall in line.

Professor Chaos
December 17th, 2012, 04:54 PM
6. Not playing indoors.
7. Not having to wear yellow.
Beats the hell out of playing outdoors wearing solid red jerseys on a bright red field.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 17th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Potentially two-time FCS National Champion Craig Bohl? That should be plenty big enough. Who's the biggest other name in the running, Saban?

Twentysix
December 17th, 2012, 05:01 PM
1. More money.
2. More prestige
4. More money.
5. More money.

Chance to beat the **** out of Nebraska yearly? The man may be a saint and all, but they scapegoated him. I would hold a grudge.

BEAR
December 17th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Chance to beat the **** out of Nebraska yearly? The man may be a saint and all, but they scapegoated him. I would hold a grudge.

All these arguments FOR him going to Wisconsin. They just keep rolling in....xlolx

FargoBison
December 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Of course he would go to Wisconsin, the real question is would they hire him? It isn't like it some crappy MAC job(Bohl has turned those offers down)...he would be going against some very credible and worthy candidates.

That said NDSU had three different head coaches win national titles at the school in the 80s.....if he left a very good coach would take his place.

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Bohl is 3 wins away from the school record of 91 wins by Rocky Hager with 88. He's stayed longer than a majority of coaches at NDSU. At 54, how many more years does he want to coach, and would Wisconsin be looking for a younger coach.

KATS_21
December 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
What is Bohl's salary and total compensation package look like?

Twentysix
December 17th, 2012, 06:35 PM
What is Bohl's salary and total compensation package look like?

Right around 400k with a National Championship.

BEAR
December 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Bret Bielema had a base salary of $400k with additional pay of $2.1 million to total $2.5 million per year with $100,000 increase each year.

I think ANY FCS coach would go for increasing his pay 500%..if they offer, he's gone. Can't blame him.

straightshooter
December 17th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Bohl is obviously a terrific coach at the FCS level. What he does would certainly work at the next level, but I'm not sure how he'll be able to take that unbelievably loud crowd noise with him that he has in the Fargodome (worth 10 points in my estimation) Frankly, i'm surprised that he hasn't been snatched up by a BCS program already. He brings exactly what they want to the table - NFL like offense, great defense and special teams, a nice even demeanor and a no nonsense approach to everything. I know the NDSU fans want to keep him around forever, just like GSU fans wanted to keep Paul Johnson around forever, but he deserves a chance at a bigger program. He's earned it.

Twentysix
December 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Bohl is obviously a terrific coach at the FCS level. What he does would certainly work at the next level, but I'm not sure how he'll be able to take that unbelievably loud crowd noise with him that he has in the Fargodome (worth 10 points in my estimation) Frankly, i'm surprised that he hasn't been snatched up by a BCS program already. He brings exactly what they want to the table - NFL like offense and great defense and special teams, a nice even demeanor and a no nonsense approach to everything. I know the NDSU fans want to keep him around forever, just like GSU fans wanted to keep Paul Johnson around forever, but he deserves a chance at a bigger program. He's earned it.

Indeed, he was the DC at Nebraska and won 2 National championships at the BCS level (95 and 97, lost the BCS NC in '01).

xcoach2
December 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Indeed, he was the DC at Nebraska and won 2 National championships at the BCS level (95 and 97, lost the BCS NC in '01).

He wasn't the DC when Nebraska won the titles. He was the DC after the titles and then removed.

JimLU
December 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM
How 'bout Jim (What a great guy!) Tressel...? It's been done on occasion.

katstrapper
December 17th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Of course he would go to Wisconsin, the real question is would they hire him? It isn't like it some crappy MAC job(Bohl has turned those offers down)...he would be going against some very credible and worthy candidates.

That said NDSU had three different head coaches win national titles at the school in the 80s.....if he left a very good coach would take his place.

That would be my question... why would they?

BadlandsBison
December 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Sorry fellas, Boehl isn't going anywhere. Why would he want to? Not only his is pay better than 99% of the FCS, he is only a few wins away from a school record and has put the Bison in a position to dominate this level of football for the unforeseeable future. With the guys we have coming back next season, I see a three-peat in the works.

Twentysix
December 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM
He wasn't the DC when Nebraska won the titles. He was the DC after the titles and then removed.

I never said he was DC when they won the NC's thats something you assumed.

Sam_Kats
December 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Gotta win the 2nd one in order to 3 peat

straightshooter
December 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Sorry fellas, Boehl isn't going anywhere. Why would he want to? Not only his is pay better than 99% of the FCS, he is only a few wins away from a school record and has put the Bison in a position to dominate this level of football for the unforeseeable future. With the guys we have coming back next season, I see a three-peat in the works.

Like I said earlier, you guys don't want him to go anywhere, but I can think of a couple million reasons why he would go.

Drblankstare
December 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Bohl would be a great fit for any program, but the fans at the big schools would throw a hissy fit at hiring a AA guy. Sad but true. Their loss.

Southern Bison
December 17th, 2012, 11:48 PM

I never said he was DC when they won the NC's thats something you assumed.

Since when does xcoach2 ever read something before responding?

A lot of people are commenting about his legacy and his age. He has been very successful both on the field and off ($$). IMO, he's in the midst of a potential dynasty to rival GaSo, App, YSU, & Marshall, has made a home in Fargo and his family loves it...that may be something that outweighs a bigger paycheck any day.

xcoach2 will never understand the concept.

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2012, 11:57 PM

Where's the challenge in that then? Or the fun? What more can he do at the FCS level?

FargoBison
December 18th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Where's the challenge in that then? Or the fun? What more can he do at the FCS level?

He has coached everywhere, at this point I think he is happy with being in Fargo unless the perfect job comes along. Wisconsin would definitely be one of those perfect opportunities though, that said he has told multiple other schools no.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 18th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Would you have said the same for Mike Ayers? Maybe some coaches are just good fits and like where they are.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 18th, 2012, 07:25 AM

He has coached at the 1A level, not as a head coach though. He says Fargo is where he wants to be. Now if Wisky offered 1.5 million, I believe he will be gone.....but I do not think it will happen.

MplsBison
December 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM
As much as I outright agree that Bohl would leave for Wisconsin -- I have a hard time believing he will be given the opportunity.

Those fans consider that to be one of the marquee programs in the Big Ten, along with Ohio State and Michigan. They're going to demand a high profile name, is my guess. Now...Alverez is a very smart guy. I wouldn't put it past him to throw Bohl's name out. But I don't see it getting traction with boosters and admin.

And yes, Bohl will not leave Fargo for anything south of a Big Ten or Big XII job. Even though such opportunities for FCS coaches, regardless of ability, record, etc., don't come as often as they should.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Would you have said the same for Mike Ayers? Maybe some coaches are just good fits and like where they are.

Ayers has never won a national championship.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Bohl would be a great fit for any program, but the fans at the big schools would throw a hissy fit at hiring a AA guy. Sad but true. Their loss.

This is so not true. Fans respect success. Did UNLV's fans throw a "hissy fit" when they got Hauck?

MplsBison
December 18th, 2012, 10:15 AM
This is so not true. Fans respect success. Did UNLV's fans throw a "hissy fit" when they got Hauck?

Goes without saying UNLV's fans know their program is not on the level of Wisconsin.

Go Bison
December 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I always thought that Bohl's record would have to look like Jim Tressels before getting a chance at the Big Ten. Granted Bohl could have had more success but NDSU was unable to make the playoffs in the 2006 and 2007 seasons when they only had 1 FCS loss combining the seasons. One thing that might hold Bohl back is his family. His son goes to school across the river from Fargo and his stepson is fairly young. Who knows for sure, I just hope it doesn't become a distraction as the Bison prepare for the national championship game.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM

He hasn't won a national championship....

suffice to say though, being a Bobby Bowden-like figure in FCS for being at his program for 25 years (yes, I am aware there are at least 3 coaches that have been at their schools longer) kind of makes you get the feeling that he's not going anywhere....

Twentysix
December 18th, 2012, 12:20 PM

Lol at a comparison between UW and UNLV.

Drblankstare
December 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Thats true for some programs, I guess my comment was more aimed at one of the big boys. Those fans im sure would prefer a household name, or at least someone connect to the program in a major way. It doesnt seem to me that hiring an FCS coach has the sex appeal that they feel they need.

Im sure a school like W. Mich would have loved to have Bohl and Im guessing the fan base would have been more than happy with that hire.

MplsBison
December 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Tressel from Youngstown to Ohio St and Chip Kelly from New Hampshire to Oregon are the only two I-AA direct to big time I-A I can think of off the top of my head... are there more in the semi-recent time frame?

WeAreNorthDakota
December 18th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I think Brian Kelly going from Grand Valley (D2) to Central Michigan (non-BCS FBS) would be a pretty fair comparison.

Go Green
December 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Tressel from Youngstown to Ohio St and Chip Kelly from New Hampshire to Oregon are the only two I-AA direct to big time I-A I can think of off the top of my head... are there more in the semi-recent time frame?

Mike London from Richmond to UVA.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Mike London from Richmond to UVA.

I think Bohl to Wisconsin makes perfect sense. The way Wisconsin runs their athletic program makes me believe Bohl is a legit candidate. Bo Ryan was an assistant for the Badgers, moved on to D3 UW-Platteville where he dominated and then had a short stint at UW-Milwaukee. Wisconson hired him from there and the rest is history.

Wisconsin values loyalty and doing it the right way, for the most part, imo. It's one of the more "likeable" athletic programs in the country.

NDSUDude23
December 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I have a feeling Bohl will stay one more year. He'll have big offers this year no doubt but look at the possibilities if he stays one more year. He'll become the all time win holder at NDSU and add one more NDSU championship ring to his other two, knock on wood, and stick with his this incredible Jr. recruiting class till they graduate. This is my hope as a fan at least.

BadlandsBison
December 18th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Lots of wishful thinking in this thread girls! Bohl isn't going anywhere and you can be sure that the Bison will dominate this two-bit Division until we move up to the FBS!

hlebichuk
December 18th, 2012, 04:50 PM
You're all wrong. Jerry Kill's got one more year before he's gone and Bohl has a 3 year dynasty gonig at NDSU. I got two bits that says he stays at NDSU one more year, gets three rings, then takes over at UofM. He's got all the mid-west recruting contacts and UofM is a program and a fan base that would welcome a coach who can rebuild their program.

MplsBison
December 18th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Some of you were closer than I gave you credit for, but it still is an I-A program -- one that really turned it around under this guy:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8760368/gary-anderson-coach-utah-state-aggies-interviews-wisconsin-badgers-sources

344Johnson
December 18th, 2012, 07:26 PM

I presume you are trolling. I don't think he would turn down a great job offer so he could get a few more wins for a school record.

I always thought that Bohl's record would have to look like Jim Tressels before getting a chance at the Big Ten. Granted Bohl could have had more success but NDSU was unable to make the playoffs in the 2006 and 2007 seasons when they only had 1 FCS loss combining the seasons. One thing that might hold Bohl back is his family. His son goes to school across the river from Fargo and his stepson is fairly young. Who knows for sure, I just hope it doesn't become a distraction as the Bison prepare for the national championship game.

I agree.

I have a feeling Bohl will stay one more year. He'll have big offers this year no doubt but look at the possibilities if he stays one more year. He'll become the all time win holder at NDSU and add one more NDSU championship ring to his other two, knock on wood, and stick with his this incredible Jr. recruiting class till they graduate. This is my hope as a fan at least.

He isn't going to turn down Wisconsin with the mindset of wanting to set a school record before he leaves.

You're all wrong. Jerry Kill's got one more year before he's gone and Bohl has a 3 year dynasty gonig at NDSU. I got two bits that says he stays at NDSU one more year, gets three rings, then takes over at UofM. He's got all the mid-west recruting contacts and UofM is a program and a fan base that would welcome a coach who can rebuild their program.

I don't think he'd go to UofM. I think he'd tell them to take a hike. Minnesota is where dreams go to die and everyone(including Coach Bohl) knows.

FargoBison
December 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Wisconsin hires Utah State Head Coach Gary Andersen.

Twentysix
December 18th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Wisky locked up USU's HC. Bohl is safe!

Unbison
December 18th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I'd think Minnesota would be ok for bohl everyone that's good at what they do has a inherit belief that I can fix that I can do that!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Wisconsin hires Utah State Head Coach Gary Andersen.

I'm shocked by this. Andersen has never coached east of the Rockies. He does not seem like a "Wisconsin" guy.

tourguide
December 19th, 2012, 04:41 AM

Yes they did. luckily they only have 100 diehards so noone really listened

MplsBison
December 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I'm shocked by this. Andersen has never coached east of the Rockies. He does not seem like a "Wisconsin" guy.

Be interesting to see what the Wisco internet message board fans are saying about it.

But they shoulda, woulda, coulda beat them in Madison this season (missed FG at the end of game). We're talking about Utah St here! A program that was horrible.

OhioHen
December 19th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Be interesting to see what the Wisco internet message board fans are saying about it.

But they shoulda, woulda, coulda beat them in Madison this season (missed FG at the end of game). We're talking about Utah St here! A program that was horrible.

Emphasis on WAS. Utah State has become a very solid team and just won a bowl game by 26. Granted it was against a MAC team, but the "big time" fans recognize it as something of significance.

superman7515
December 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM
..........Delaware: Offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Jim Hofher will not return to the staff.

He was fired a month ago (Nov 19), he just didn't know it. Literally. Told by the head coach he was being replaced and to clean out his office, which he did. A meeting was scheduled, cancelled, rescheduled, recancelled, and he was never told anything as to whether he was or was not actually fired. Didn't know if he was supposed to continue showing up for work, keep recruiting, just sit at home, or what he was supposed to do. Continued to show up for some functions around campus, but nothing football related. He was still under contract, so he couldn't go looking for a new job, and it led to a month long fluster-cuck.

blueballs
December 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
NDSU fans, this is what happens when you have success at the FCS/1-AA level. The rumors fly about FBC/BCS programs poaching the coach.

In some ways it is a pain in the butt and a distraction but in some ways it is a good thing. After all, nobody wants to hire a loser, right?

The GSU faithful can certainly sympathize. We went through it with UGA denying they had offered the job to Erk Russell prior to the 1988 title game (Erk said they did so they did) and before the 2001 semi final with Navy's poaching of Paul Johnson. In both cases it was a huge distraction for the GSU program at the worst possible time.

When you think about it... what GSU has done in the past 27 years has been unprecendented. The six titles are one thing, but six titles with three different coaches is something else, and when you expand it a little four coaches have taken GSU to the semi finals. Off the top of my head only Montana can boast a similar run of success/titles with different coaches in FCS.

Go Green
December 19th, 2012, 10:40 AM
He was fired a month ago (Nov 19), he just didn't know it. Literally. Told by the head coach he was being replaced and to clean out his office, which he did. A meeting was scheduled, cancelled, rescheduled, recancelled, and he was never told anything as to whether he was or was not actually fired. Didn't know if he was supposed to continue showing up for work, keep recruiting, just sit at home, or what he was supposed to do. Continued to show up for some functions around campus, but nothing football related. He was still under contract, so he couldn't go looking for a new job, and it led to a month long fluster-cuck.

If true, very classless move by Delaware. Hofher was well-respected in the Ivy League when he was at Cornell.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM
NDSU fans, this is what happens when you have success at the FCS/1-AA level. The rumors fly about FBC/BCS programs poaching the coach.

In some ways it is a pain in the butt and a distraction but in some ways it is a good thing. After all, nobody wants to hire a loser, right?

The GSU faithful can certainly sympathize. We went through it with UGA denying they had offered the job to Erk Russell prior to the 1988 title game (Erk said they did so they did) and before the 2001 semi final with Navy's poaching of Paul Johnson. In both cases it was a huge distraction for the GSU program at the worst possible time.

When you think about it... what GSU has done in the past 27 years has been unprecendented. The six titles are one thing, but six titles with three different coaches is something else, and when you expand it a little four coaches have taken GSU to the semi finals. Off the top of my head only Montana can boast a similar run of success/titles with different coaches in FCS.

We have had that same stuff at the DII level. 3 coaches between 83-90 and 5 championships, 6 championship games. Morton to Tulsa then Wisconsin then done, Solomonson to Montana St FCS then done, Hager was the last option coach. The 3 - 1960's college division championships were with Ron Erhardt, who ended up in the NFL.

MplsBison
December 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Hager was the head coach at Northeastern (in Boston) when they still had a program. I recall they played at the Fargodome in 2006 and he got a warm welcome back.

Not sure what he's doing now.

darell1976
December 19th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Hager was the head coach at Northeastern (in Boston) when they still had a program. I recall they played at the Fargodome in 2006 and he got a warm welcome back.

He is waiting for Bohl to leave to take over the team.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM
He is waiting for Bohl to leave to take over the team.

How's the UND coaching situation? Still good?

darell1976
December 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
How's the UND coaching situation? Still good?

Mussman is safe because of the contract extension he got before the year started, however I think Mannausau (DC) is still very much on the hot seat. If he isn't fired he will need his defense to improve to keep his job.

FargoBison
December 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM

He is back in the FCS...

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/fball/Coaches/Rocky_Hager

darell1976
December 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM
He is back in the FCS...

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/fball/Coaches/Rocky_Hager

I still like the fire and ice story between him and UND's Roger Thomas. I thought he was a good coach too bad he isn't coaching (head coach) around here.

344Johnson
December 19th, 2012, 05:53 PM

I imagine that they did not offer him the job. Hate to call your Georgia Southern God/Prophet/Spiritual Leader a liar, but come on....UGA. I don't care how much this guy liked GSU, its not Goergia.

blueballs
December 19th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I imagine that they did not offer him the job. Hate to call your Georgia Southern God/Prophet/Spiritual Leader a liar, but come on....UGA. I don't care how much this guy liked GSU, its not Goergia.

You might want to go research what happened (it is well documented in print and video archives) before popping off. Just sayin.'

Coach Russell retired after the next season.