GannonFan
August 21st, 2006, 11:41 AM
I like it.

SunCoastBlueHen
August 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the pics, Chickenman! The field looks amazing. :nod:

putter
August 21st, 2006, 12:03 PM
Great turf! Too bad it will get torn up! Do you think I can get the staff over to my house? This hot weather is making my lawn look a little beat up?

89Hen
August 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the pics CM. I wonder what they'll do with the logo and endzones. I hope we get new endzone paint, no offense to Tubby.

jmuroller
August 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM
I love how it is mowed.

SunCoastBlueHen
August 21st, 2006, 05:29 PM
It has been a few years since I've been to the stadium. When did they tear out the hedges and replace them with the young plants in the pictures?

Hansel
August 21st, 2006, 05:47 PM
"looks" nice- though so did Chatty's in 04...

parr90
August 21st, 2006, 07:51 PM
Looks good! What kind of turf grass? At GSU we have one of the shortest natural playing surfaces Ive ever seen or played on, and your turf looks really short also.

MR. CHICKEN
August 21st, 2006, 08:28 PM
EVEN DUH EASTER BUNNY...COULDN'T HIDE UH EGG....IN OURAH YARD!.....:rotateh:......BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

GannonFan
August 21st, 2006, 10:20 PM
It has been a few years since I've been to the stadium. When did they tear out the hedges and replace them with the young plants in the pictures?

It's been a few years, but if I remember the ones that were replaced were the ones on the east (visitor) stands and the ones in front of the south endzone (student section). The hedges on the visitor side were hit hard by brought and disease and had to be replaced, and the endzone ones were replaced following the installation of new bleachers in that area (they had the old wooden bleachers replaced with the current metal ones). I think the ones on the home side are still there and are large.

GannonFan
August 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
"looks" nice- though so did Chatty's in 04...

Now, now, that's like comparing apples to oranges - Chatty's turf had to be patched up prior to that championship game, a hard thing to do in late November/early December when grass doesn't grow anymore. UD's had almost a whole year to redo the field all the way from the bottom up - and they did play a high school all-star game on the field in early June with no noticeable drainage issues (these pics are after that game was played). Who knows if this field will hold up over the years, but this fall it is clearly one of the best natural surfaces out there.

GreatAppSt
August 21st, 2006, 10:37 PM
It's soft to walk on as well.:nod:

bluehenbillk
August 22nd, 2006, 07:43 AM
Nice!!! Great pics, the hedges need some work but the playing surface looks better than ever. I'm glad we didn't goto field turf.

henfan
August 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Bill, there is Field Turf along the sidelines where the players and coaches stand. In addition, one of the practice fields will eventually be replaced with Field Turf.

I'll reserve my judgement on whether or not grass was a good decision for about half a dozen years. We'll see how the surface looks then and whether or not this proved to be a wise investment.

Remember, our last 'permanent' grass surface look amazing too just after it was installed in the early '90's. It was already showing signs of failure and disease by '97.

For the 2007 season however, UD has the best million dollar natural surface money can buy.

LacesOut
August 22nd, 2006, 08:23 AM
Looks awesome! Maybe I can make it to a game this year, just to see that field.

bluehenbillk
August 22nd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Bill, there is Field Turf along the sidelines where the players and coaches stand. In addition, one of the practice fields will eventually be replaced with Field Turf.

I'll reserve my judgement on whether or not grass was a good decision for about half a dozen years. We'll see how the surface looks then and whether or not this proved to be a wise investment.

Remember, our last 'permanent' grass surface look amazing too just after it was installed in the early '90's. It was already showing signs of failure and disease by '97.

For the 2007 season however, UD has the best million dollar natural surface money can buy.

Field Turf on the sideline is a good idea, however football should be played on grass. I agree with you henfan, hopefully a few years from now we're still as positive about the field condition.

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
Field Turf on the sideline is a good idea, however football should be played on grass. I agree with you henfan, hopefully a few years from now we're still as positive about the field condition.

I agree as well - I'm not a Field Turf fan if it can be avoided - if you can go with natural grass (only use the field for football games in season, not practice for example) then I say stay with grass. Agree too that we'll see how this field looks in year 6 to see if it still looks as good and holds up as well as today. For this year at least, clearly one of the better fields out there.

BlueHenBoy
August 22nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Are they going to put the onfield logos back in the same spots w/ the same design and all?