PDA

View Full Version : App Fan Fest

GreatAppSt
August 20th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Looks like the O is finally clicking or the D is slipping or ahh the QB's er, make the LB's, xidiotx xidiotx ahh shoot who knows!!!:D :D anyway here's the story
http://www.goasu.com/article/8373/?fSession=ebd6a2561cb27666fb64c5d2e65b4c8f27d13535

7500:eek: :eek: :eek:

Saint3333
August 20th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I couldn't make the trip, were there really 7500 people there:hurray: ?

ASU usually only has about 2K show up for Fan Fest. That first home game could be ridiculous.

Mr. C
August 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM
The story is mostly a PR product and doesn't really tell what happened at Fan Fest. Most of the running yardage (and passing yardage, too) was picked up by second and third team offense against the second team and beyond defense. The first team defense looked extremely good. Marques Murrell had a good day, as did Jason Hunter's replacement Gary Tharrington on the other side. Armanti Edwards, a true freshman and a left-handed version of Richie Williams, had a very good day. He has won the No. 2 QB job already and will provide a good push competitively to Trey Elder. Cortez Gilbert was another true freshman at safety who caught some attention. He had a long kickoff return and some hits in the secondary. He will probably be groomed to replace Jeremy Wiggins in another year. Kevin Richardson sat out the scrimmage to keep him fresh for the opener in a couple of weeks. Nothing serious going on there. ASU has had a healthy camp. A couple of freshmen runners, Devon Moore and Robert Welton will give the Mountaineers two talented guys behind Richardson. Because of that, last year's backup Trey Hennessee has been playing an H-Back type of role. Another freshman doing well is a 272-pound DT named Anthony Williams, who reminds people (looks and playing wise) of former All-American Jackie Lee Avery. He is even wearing Avery's old number, 98. ASU has had an absolute battle at linebacker, with guys going back and forth between first and second team roles. Cam Speer and Monte Smith are well established as starters, but after that, Bryan Heath (whose come on strong), Jacque Roman and Pierre Banks are fighting for playing time. Mike King (Smith's backup) has also had a very good camp. The WRs are also having a great camp. This is a very deep and dangerous squad that will be tough to beat.

Saint3333
August 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM
You wouldn't be suggesting a QB controversy at some point this season? This freshman class might be the best class to come through ASU in a long time. If the new DT can add some depth that sure would help.

Mr. C
August 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I couldn't make the trip, were there really 7500 people there:hurray: ?

ASU usually only has about 2K show up for Fan Fest. That first home game could be ridiculous.
This was by far the largest Fan Fest ever. There was a huge line outside the stadium (filtering all the way out to the parking lots) at the start that turned out to buy uniforms and stuff from the past 20 years. There were only TWO of last season's uniforms offered that didn't sell (extra-extra-extra large ones of insignificant players).

Mr. C
August 20th, 2006, 05:06 PM
You wouldn't be suggesting a QB controversy at some point this season? This freshman class might be the best class to come through ASU in a long time. If the new DT can add some depth that sure would help.
No controversy, but if anything happens to Elder, the Mountaineers are in good shape. This kid is going to be something special. John Wiley, the defensive coordinator, said Edwards is further along as a freshman than Richie Williams was in his first (redshirt) year. Edwards likely WILL NOT redshirt.

Mr. C
August 20th, 2006, 05:07 PM
By the way, CoCo Hillary, the other freshman QB, has been switched to WR.

Saint3333
August 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I wish ASU could redshirt Edwards to let him start 3 instead of likely 2 years, but I understand the need for depth. What happened to Amedro and Chase?

I assume Gilbert and Williams will not be red-shirted either are there any others?

Mr. C
August 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Gilbert could be easily redshirted. They simply don't need him yet. Williams is needed, because the defensive line is the thinnest area on the team. If I were making the call, I would prepare Edwards to play each week, but would only use him if Elder got hurt. If you need to put a QB in at the end of the game, or for a play or two, I'd use Chase Laws. That way, unless there is an emergency, you keep that redshirt year for Edwards. Amedro is going okay, but is clearly No. 4 right now. He is likely to be a back-up when Edwards takes over from Elder.One of the freshman RBs, Welford or Moore, will likely play as a back-up to Richardson.

BULLDOG8180
August 21st, 2006, 08:54 AM
For you Appy fans, I have watched Edwards the past 2 years at Greenwood High, he is very special. Last year, he became the only QB in South Carolina high school history to pass for over 2,000 yds and rush for over 1,000 yds in a single season (at least I think he is the only one).

I hope you enjoy watching him play the next four years as much as I have the past 2.

But please don't let him showout too much on my 'dogs.