PDA

View Full Version : Since we've established that NDSU is the greatest defense ever...

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I was wondering if any of these great championship offenses could score 10 points or more on the vaunted NDSU defense.

1986 Georgia Southern led by Tracy Ham, 51 ppg in 4 playoff games, won the title over Ark State 48-21, was the second of consecutive titles

1996 Marshall led by Randy Moss, 43 ppg in 4 playoff games, nobody came w/in 14 pts. of them all year, 15-0-0

1999 Georgia Southern led by Adrian Peterson, 50 ppg in 4 playoff games, avg 50 ppg over 15 games, scored over 50 8 times, scored 59 in the title game

2007 Appalachian State led by Armanti Edwards, lowest point total of the season was 31, scored 170 in 4 playoff games

All 4 of the above teams won the title rather convincingly.

I was wondering... would any of these teams even be able to score against NDSU? Let alone break double figures? I'm interested to hear some of the input from the old timers...

Cap'n Obvious
December 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM
No.
Haven't you read the 5849230128474 other threads?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Yawn.......xblahx

gsu2583
December 10th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Yawn.......xblahx

I said the same thing about the NDSU offense...

Mr. C
December 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I was wondering if any of these great championship offenses could score 10 points or more on the vaunted NDSU defense.

1986 Georgia Southern led by Tracy Ham, 51 ppg in 4 playoff games, won the title over Ark State 48-21, was the second of consecutive titles

1996 Marshall led by Randy Moss, 43 ppg in 4 playoff games, nobody came w/in 14 pts. of them all year, 15-0-0

1999 Georgia Southern led by Adrian Peterson, 50 ppg in 4 playoff games, avg 50 ppg over 15 games, scored over 50 8 times, scored 59 in the title game

2007 Appalachian State led by Armanti Edwards, lowest point total of the season was 31, scored 170 in 4 playoff games

I was wondering... would any of these teams even be able to score against NDSU? Let alone break double figures? I'm interested to hear some of the input from the old timers...

Tried to rep you for this thread and it wouldn't let me. You could make a case for those being four of the greatest I-AA/FCS teams of all time and each was so dominant that I don't think any defense from this level would have stopped any of them. The best defense I've seen in the past 20 years of covering FCS is the Delaware unit that won the national championship in 2003. I actually liked the 2011 version of the North Dakota State defense better than the 2012 group (though the current one still has one or two games left to play). Youngstown State had some great defenses in the early to mid 1990s, too. At this level, there have been better offenses than defenses in terms of championship teams. One of the reasons that each of those four teams was so good was that defenses had a hard time matching up with the individual players on the field. In ASU's case, the Mountaineers actually could have scored around 51 to 58 on Michigan, instead of 34. The Mountaineers left a lot of points on the field at the Big House that day, a missed field goal, a dropped TD pass by Brian Quick, etc., settling for a field goal instead of trying to put the game away with a TD at the end, a Michigan fumble on a kickoff return that was incorrectly given to the Wolverines on a bogus video review. I would have paid to see Marcus Wiliams match up with Randy Moss, but even if Williams won that individual battle, the Herd/Turd had too many other weapons. Chad Pennington REDSHIRTED on that team after taking his squad to within a field goal of the national championship as a true freshman. The closest anyone came to Marshall all year was Georgia Southern losing by 19 and ASU staying within two touchdowns and losing by 14 in a pair of home games for the Eagles and Mountaineers. Tracy Ham was an Armanti Edwards with more strength and size. And AP ... nothing need more be said about the greatest FCS playoff performer of all-time.

Mr. C
December 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
No.
Haven't you read the 5849230128474 other threads?

Why do we have so many trolls around here lately? Your name says it all.

Mr. C
December 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM

NDSU's offense has been pretty offensive. Is Brock Jensen going to set a record for pick-sixes thrown in one season? What's he have, six of them this year?

Cap'n Obvious
December 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Why do we have so many trolls around here lately? Your name says it all.

That was the point........I guess mission accomplished xeyebrowx

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3cib3fK139M/TMvVUSyIQJI/AAAAAAAAF2I/uXQ1XS1NFHM/s1600/Worlds+Smallest+Violin.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/946/19946/170179.jpg

cbarrier90
December 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
1996 Marshall has yet to be topped. 2007 ASU had a chance, but lost 2 conference games.

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM
C'mon guys... you can do better than that!

Since we've established there is no current offense in college football that can score against the great Bison defense, and that the great Bison defense has the definitive answer for whatever anybody tries against them, I was wondering if there is an offense in the history of college football that might have a modicum of success- let alone an advantage- against them.

C'mon, let's hear it... so far only Mr. C (great post BTW) and CBarrier90 have submitted anything worthwhile. Put your thinking caps on!!!!!

Houndawg
December 10th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Stanford might score two TDs against them.

cbarrier90
December 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM

Since we've established there is no current offense in college football that can score against the great Bison defense, and that the great Bison defense has the definitive answer for whatever anybody tries against them, I was wondering if there is an offense in the history of college football that might have a modicum of success- let alone an advantage- against them.

C'mon, let's hear it... so far only Mr. C (great post BTW) and CBarrier90 have submitted anything worthwhile. Put your thinking caps on!!!!!

2001 Miami quivers at the thought of the Bison, 2004 USC is blinded by the shining light emanating from Craig Bohl's Erk-esque bald head...

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
How about this for all you brilliant football minds.

What defense finished the year statistically the best? YPG and PPG.

Cap'n Obvious
December 10th, 2012, 03:19 PM

I would lean towards the 98 GSU team. Although falling short, largely in part to the turnovers, I would say that offense was just as good if not better than the 99 team.

Is that better Mr. C? Does this post meet your approval? Do you find this to be any less trivial than one of the other countless posts on an internet message board? I sure hope it pleases the king.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Nice post smarta**.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM
How about this for all you brilliant football minds.

What defense finished the year statistically the best? YPG and PPG.

Answered my own question

YPG 149.9 1978 FAMU

PPG 6.5 1978 SCSU

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Nice post smarta**.

Aw come on..... I'm asking a serious question, and as an NDSU fan and devotee you should be thrilled and honored to have your team held in such esteem by old timers like Mr. C and me who have witnessed several national championship teams first hand.

So, come on now..... don't call people names and try to add something of substance to the discussion.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Aw come on..... I'm asking a serious question, and as an NDSU fan and devotee you should be thrilled and honored to have your team held in such esteem by old timers like Mr. C and me who have witnessed several national championship teams first hand.

So, come on now..... don't call people names and try to add something of substance to the discussion.

OK....every team in the FCS can and would move the ball on this defense. It is horrible.

How's that.

Neighbor2
December 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Point was this . . .

the current schtick no longer works (if it ever did).

GABison
December 10th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Can any of those teams you talked about say that they have kept their opponents to 1 offensive touchdown total in their last 5 playoff games.

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Answered my own question

YPG 149.9 1978 FAMU

PPG 6.5 1978 SCSU

But those teams didn't have to face the gauntlet that is the MVFC... so they don't count.

I want to hear from the NDSU folks...

Adrian Peterson rushed for over 100 yards in every game of his career but 3- that would be 54 out of 57 games and over 9k total. I think we've established that getting 100 is out of the question but could Peterson get 50 or even 75 against NDSU?

How about Armanti Edwards? He had over 10k passing and 4k rushing, would he stand a chance? Could he maybe fashion a score of some sort?

How about Tracy Ham? In two title game appearances he passed for over 800 yards and ran for over 300 and is in the Colleg Football HOF, would he be crushed under the herd of Bison? Would that championship group even crack the scoreboard?

Let's hear it guys....

BISON Thunder
December 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM
NDSU's offense has been pretty offensive. Is Brock Jensen going to set a record for pick-sixes thrown in one season? What's he have, six of them this year?

Yeah...but our offense is participating in tackling drills this week.

BisonBohl
December 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
HAHAHA having fun yet???

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Can any of those teams you talked about say that they have kept their opponents to 1 offensive touchdown total in their last 5 playoff games.

Last year was last year and this year is this year... NDSU has only played 2 playoff games thus far.

Nevertheless, the question is how the great Bison defense stacks up against the all time greats in the sport, not against the current weak crop of competition because we've established- as you did above- that ain't nobody scoring on 'em this year.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Last year was last year and this year is this year... NDSU has only played 2 playoff games thus far.

Nevertheless, the question is how the great Bison defense stacks up against the all time greats in the sport, not against the current weak crop of competition because we've established- as you did above- that ain't nobody scoring on 'em this year.

In other words, only talk about the years I want to talk about.

gotts
December 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM

six, four, nine, they're all just numbers!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 03:58 PM
six, four, nine, they're all just numbers!

He's a journalist, when has fact checking ever mattered?

FargoBison
December 10th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Yep our offensive offense scored more points on Ill State on the road than App State did at home. ISUR even had a week off to prepare while we played our rivals South Dakota State.

NDSU's offense is inconsistent...but if the running game gets going good night to whoever we are playing.

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM
In other words, only talk about the years I want to talk about.

Okay, we'll expand the discussion to include last year's Bison defense too. How would they have fared against the all time greats? Or more to the point, how would the all time greats have fared against the mighty Bison defense of either year?

Bison56
December 10th, 2012, 04:10 PM
It is impossible to compare teams from other eras/decades. Might be able to compare if at the present time you had an offense that was comparable to the ones you are talking about today. If that makes any sense.

xxmasx

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 04:17 PM
It is impossible to compare teams from other eras/decades. Might be able to compare if at the present time you had an offense that was comparable to the ones you are talking about today. If that makes any sense.

xxmasx

Okay, let's take App State 2007 then since that's only 5 years ago. That would constitue a more recent era, right?

They scored 38 at Michigan and nobody held them under 31 all season. They had 2 time Payton Award winner Armanti Edwards at the helm and a host of weapons led by 2nd rounder Dexter Jackson to go with an experienced o-line... truly a pinball type offense that was equally dangerous rushing or passing.

Would they be able to score against the mighty Bison?

Neighbor2
December 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM
App State, Michigan? Good gosh, man. We're talking NDSU now.

Cap'n Obvious
December 10th, 2012, 04:22 PM
queue......butMichigan........

Gil Dobie
December 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Too early to tell. This years NDSU needs to win the championship before this discussion continues. There have been some key injuries this year, and if they win it all, we can start comparing to last year and to all-time greats. Next year will be better with almost the entire defensive unit returning and people coming back from injuries.

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM
App State, Michigan? Good gosh, man. We're talking NDSU now.

Just giving a frame of reference for one of the four great offenses I put out there... the questions remain unanwered now 35 posts in. How would those all time great offenses fare against the juggarnaut that is the Bison defense?

So far only Mr. C and Barrier90 have piped up with an opinion/analysis.

EDIT: Add my man Gil to the list of those actually discussing the point.

Bison56
December 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Okay, let's take App State 2007 then since that's only 5 years ago. That would constitue a more recent era, right?

They scored 38 at Michigan and nobody held them under 31 all season. They had 2 time Payton Award winner Armanti Edwards at the helm and a host of weapons led by 2nd rounder Dexter Jackson to go with an experienced o-line... truly a pinball type offense that was equally dangerous rushing or passing.

I am sure they would score, but winning the game would depend on their D also. Am I correct?

blueballs
December 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I am sure they would score, but winning the game would depend on their D also. Am I correct?

Now we're getting somewhere.... I'm not concerned about winning or losing, only whether any of those four offenses could muster any points or first downs against the historic herd defense.

Bison56
December 10th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Now we're getting somewhere.... I'm not concerned about winning or losing, only whether any of those four offenses could muster any points or first downs against the historic herd defense.

Even though I see whats happening here I will give you another honest answer. Of course they could.

Thundar
December 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Which ironically has put up 69 points to your 21 in our 2 games.........

kbswish22
December 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM

As an initial matter, Blueballs is probably the most clever poster I have ever seen, he has great respect for the bison defense as he is questioning whether some of the all time great FCS teams would even score on the bison. As for that App St. team, actually their low point for the season was 28, a convincing one point win at home in the first round of the playoffs. Regardless, there is no doubt they had a great offense, would certainly put up points on the mighty bison. For the season, that App. St. team averaged 3ppg more than Sam Houston St. averaged going into last years final so they would at least have been able to put up 10 or so on the bison. Since NDSU is missing their 2nd and 3rd best defensive player right now, I would say App St. would probably get 17-20 on the mighty bison.

Thunderstruck
December 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Would these teams score? Probably. Would they put up 50? Probably not.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM

Tell ya what, every Bison fan wishes that '07 team could have played then but the NCAA wouldn't let us. :(

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 05:01 PM
As an initial matter, Blueballs is probably the most clever poster I have ever seen, he has great respect for the bison defense as he is questioning whether some of the all time great FCS teams would even score on the bison.... I would say App St. would probably get 17-20 on the mighty bison.

Bull****, all these posts are just dripping with condescension.

Neighbor2
December 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Nah, just imitation.

kbswish22
December 10th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Bull****, all these posts are just dripping with condescension.

I am well aware. I am just playing along with his nonesense. The bison defense ranked #1 in the country in every category certainly has no business being on the field with those unstoppable offenses.

woffordgrad94
December 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I am actually going to try to address the question posed by the OP here honestly, seriously, and without a thread of condesendence, even if it might be meant as a troll thread (and only blueballs knows for sure if it is).

Good defenses generally limit good offenses in football, just as great pitching usually limits great hitting in baseball. Great offensive players usually still put up decent numbers against these great defenses (for example, EB went over 100 yards against NDSU), but the team as a whole still struggles to put up points. So players like Randy Moss, Adrian Petersen,and Armanti Edwards would all put up stats against this year's Bison defense. Moss would get his receptions, Petersen his yards, and edwards his rushing and passing numbers. And for the record, these three guys are likely all better players than EB. But their respective teams would still fail to find the endzone as many times as they were accustomed to doing so. Could their teams beat the Bison? Absolutely. But the Bison could beat them too. I think they would be some great games, and all these teams would likely come up significantly short of their season averages of offense, making them tough defensive games. This is actually not a bad thread that poses an interesting question if taken seriously.

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM
What's scary, with Heagle back from injury, there isn't a single defensive starter for NDSU that won't be back next year.

CORRECTION: Andre Martin is a senior starter. Ollman currently senior starter in place of injured junior Heagle.

straightshooter
December 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I am actually going to try to address the question posed by the OP here honestly, seriously, and without a thread of condesendence, even if it might be meant as a troll thread (and only blueballs knows for sure if it is).

Good defenses generally limit good offenses in football, just as great pitching usually limits great hitting in baseball. Great offensive players usually still put up decent numbers against these great defenses (for example, EB went over 100 yards against NDSU), but the team as a whole still struggles to put up points. So players like Randy Moss, Adrian Petersen,and Armanti Edwards would all put up stats against this year's Bison defense. Moss would get his receptions, Petersen his yards, and edwards his rushing and passing numbers. And for the record, these three guys are likely all better players than EB. But their respective teams would still fail to find the endzone as many times as they were accustomed to doing so. Could their teams beat the Bison? Absolutely. But the Bison could beat them too. I think they would be some great games, and all these teams would likely come up significantly short of their season averages of offense, making them tough defensive games. This is actually not a bad thread that poses an interesting question if taken seriously.

I remember years ago when GSU played Arkansas State in the NC game. ASU had the #1 defense in the country and their fans basically said that they would shut down GSU and Tracy Ham. 48 points later, ASU left the field with their tales tucked between their legs. Their coach said that tackling Tracy Ham was like tackling smoke. Many Eagle fans are comparing this GSU team to those Ham led squads. We shall see...

b_f_c_99
December 10th, 2012, 06:17 PM
NOBODY at this level would have stopped Marshall in 1996 hell Montana was undefeated after pretty much blasting everyone they played that year. Here is the playoffs:

Nicholls State* W 48-3
East Tennessee State* W 44-14
Troy State* W 70-7
at Marshall** L 49-20

They could do NOTHING to stop Chad Pennington from throwing it as far as he could while Randy Moss ran it down. I really don't see NDSU stopping that either. I watched the game its not like Pennington hung around waiting for Moss to get downfield he pretty much just got it and heaved it and Moss just was so much faster than anyone it was scary.

Nickels
December 10th, 2012, 06:17 PM
What's scary, with Heagle back from injury, there isn't a single defensive starter for NDSU that won't be back next year.
That is scary. NDSU even lost their DC last year correct? If so, they obviously didn't miss a step adjusting to the new guy and should improve (somehow) even more this off season.

Nickels
December 10th, 2012, 06:21 PM
NOBODY at this level would have stopped Marshall in 1996 hell Montana was undefeated after pretty much blasting everyone they played that year. Here is the playoffs:

Nicholls State* W 48-3
Troy State* W 70-7
at Marshall** L 49-20

They could do NOTHING to stop Chad Pennington from throwing it as far as he could while Randy Moss ran it down. I really don't see NDSU stopping that either. I watched the game its not like Pennington hung around waiting for Moss to get downfield he pretty much just got it and heaved it and Moss just was so much faster than anyone it was scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgUqB6uZ3cQ

woffordgrad94
December 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I remember years ago when GSU played Arkansas State in the NC game. ASU had the #1 defense in the country and their fans basically said that they would shut down GSU and Tracy Ham. 48 points later, ASU left the field with their tales tucked between their legs. Their coach said that tackling Tracy Ham was like tackling smoke. Many Eagle fans are comparing this GSU team to those Ham led squads. We shall see...

That was in 1986, long before I started following 1-AA/FCS football, so I really have no idea. But perhaps that year GSU was just the one juggernaut team in the field- there was lass parody in those days. And Perhaps ASU had not really faced any truly potent offenses until they faced GSU. I don't know. As a rule, great defense will neutralize great offense, but there will always be expections to that rule. But in any event, I don't think GSU will be putting up 48 points in Fargo this year, and I doubt many GSU fans think so either.

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM
That is scary. NDSU even lost their DC last year correct? If so, they obviously didn't miss a step adjusting to the new guy and should improve (somehow) even more this off season.

Correct, but the replacement DC is Coach Klieman (previous DB coach) who came to NDSU as UNI's prior DC. I guess it was a promotion to take the DB job at NDSU :D (sorry UNI fans, couldn't help myself there). I actually forgot about Andre Martin in my post. He worked his way into the starting rotation this year as a senior transfer (transfer from UNI also, came for academics).

bisonguy
December 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM

Andre Martin Jr. might disagree with that statement.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM
You know NDSU's defense has to be better than? Georgia Southern. Obfuscation doesn't change that.

the pre-butthurt is enormous in these ones.

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Andre Martin Jr. might disagree with that statement.

Check above. I caught myself and forgot that Andre worked his way into the starting roll.

Baldy
December 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
That was in 1986, long before I started following 1-AA/FCS football, so I really have no idea. But perhaps that year GSU was just the one juggernaut team in the field- there was lass parody in those days. And Perhaps ASU had not really faced any truly potent offenses until they faced GSU. I don't know. As a rule, great defense will neutralize great offense, but there will always be expections to that rule. But in any event, I don't think GSU will be putting up 48 points in Fargo this year, and I doubt many GSU fans think so either.
Ark StAte was a hell of a team that year. They beat Memphis by 20 and tied a bowl bound Ol' Miss 10-10. Their only loss in the regular season was to Miss State by 15. We beat them by 4 TD's.

Cleets
December 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Wait a second wait a second...
Hold on here

This thread makes me think that complete destruction (that abomination of a game) from last year must sill smart..?
Especially since GSU spent the whole week prior to last years throttling talking about their unstoppable offense

Hmmm....

Yes: Last years game still hurts
http://i.imgur.com/rOxdN.gif

344Johnson
December 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Whatever...I'll bite.

NDSU would probably wreck most of those teams on account of teams tending to be bigger, stronger, faster nowadays.

Southern Bison
December 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I guess this can be debated on a thread to pass the time until the game and it's been interesting to read the opinions of veteran AGS on this topic.

But I will say this, athletes are different and have more technology available to them (conditioning, films, coaching, playing at a younger age). What I'm trying to say is comparing teams/O/D to others from days gone by is very hard to comprehend. Do I think the Offenses mentioned could score on the Bison...of course. Could the Bison hold those teams/stars to less production than their averages, yes they could. It'd would've been interesting to see the hypothetical matchup, but it's exactly that.

Mr. C
December 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM

Nicholls State* W 48-3
Troy State* W 70-7
at Marshall** L 49-20

Chad Pennington didn't play a down in 1996. He redshirted. Eric Kresser, who went on to play for the Cincinnati Bengals, transferred from Florida as the QB, moving with new coach Bob Pruett.

Southern Bison
December 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Dear Blueballs:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/77003_10151367273054532_1588677290_n.jpg

Cleets
December 11th, 2012, 01:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/rOxdN.gif

Thundar
December 11th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Andre Martin and Bobby Ollman are starters and seniors

blueballs
December 11th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Dear Blueballs:

See? You're reinforcing my point and I appreciate it.

I wonder if the Numbers for 'Bammer were before or after the SEC title game as UGA moved the ball and scored on them and came pretty close to winning in the waning seconds.

I had wondered all year if the MVFC defenses were that good or the offenses that bad or a little of both. After seeing the playoffs unfold NDSU is for real but the other teams not so much.

I just hope our woefully undermanned, undertalented, undersized, and underwhelming Eagles can avoid getting skunked as the great and mighty Bison continue their ascent to their rightful place as the greatest defense in NCAA history.

bluehenbillk
December 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM
The 2003 Delaware team allowed 23 points in 4 games. NDSU is on pace to pass that having allowed 10 points in 2 games.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
The 2003 Delaware team allowed 23 points in 4 games. NDSU is on pace to pass that having allowed 10 points in 2 games.

7 pts in 2 games. 0 offensive points.

penguinpower
December 11th, 2012, 08:51 AM

I would contend that the Youngstown State Defense in 1994 was similar to the defense that NDSU is fielding. 1993 was also very good, but the 1994 defense was eerily similar.

344Johnson
December 11th, 2012, 08:54 AM
7 pts in 2 games. 0 offensive points.

10 points. Only 3 of them offensive.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
10 points. Only 3 of them offensive.

For some reason I'm forgetting SDSUs field goal.

blueballs
December 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I would contend that the Youngstown State Defense in 1994 was similar to the defense that NDSU is fielding. 1993 was also very good, but the 1994 defense was eerily similar.

I remember those teams very well... y'all had a mini dynasty during that period.

Would you rate that defense as better or worse than the current gold standard of all defenses- the mighty Bison?

steelbison
December 11th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Just giving a frame of reference for one of the four great offenses I put out there... the questions remain unanwered now 35 posts in. How would those all time great offenses fare against the juggarnaut that is the Bison defense?

So far only Mr. C and Barrier90 have piped up with an opinion/analysis.

EDIT: Add my man Gil to the list of those actually discussing the point.

Interesting topic. Totally impossible to answer. But it would have been fun to watch!!! Obviously M Williams is a great DB but to cover Randy Moss one on one would have been impossible. You would have to keep a safety over the top at all times.

You could never keep those offenses to these scores 14,0,7,6,3,7 But if we could have held them to somewhere in the 17-28 range would have been a major accomplishment.

It will be very interesting to see how we do against K State next year.

Can NDSU be scored upon? Sure they can!!! But it just hasn't been done consistently this year. Or in the Playoffs the past two years against the best in the country.

Would have loved to see this defense against the great App state teams just to see what they could have done.

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Thank you for a reasonable post in a thread otherwise dripping with sarcasm and condescension.

steelbison
December 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM

I think that's a pipe dream.

23 points in 4 playoff games....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelbison
December 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I remember those teams very well... y'all had a mini dynasty during that period.

Would you rate that defense as better or worse than the current gold standard of all defenses- the mighty Bison?

This would actually be an interesting thread if you weren't being such a Dick....

This NDSU is so great and my team has no chance bs is old.... Should be a great game Friday and it could go either way. From someone who has watched every game the past two years I can tell you this Defense is significantly better than last year. Does that mean GS will only score 7 points this time around? Hell no....but you are not going to run for 600 yd either.

This game will come down to what all games come down to. The team that makes the fewest mistakes wins. TO's will be huge and could easily decide the outcome.

NDSUstudent
December 11th, 2012, 10:42 AM
If Jensen isn't the MVP for GSU I think we have a decent shot.

b_f_c_99
December 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Chad Pennington didn't play a down in 1996. He redshirted. Eric Kresser, who went on to play for the Cincinnati Bengals, transferred from Florida as the QB, moving with new coach Bob Pruett.

Thanks for the correction Mr C. I thought it was Pennington but I knew it was a QB that was in the NFL. My argument still stands though NOBODY was
going to stop that, not now, not then.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM
If Jensen isn't the MVP for GSU I think we have a decent shot.

This.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The only team who can beat the Bison this year is the Bison. The Wofford game showed that.

penguinpower
December 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM

That 1994 Defense was right up there with the Bison's defense. What I clearly remember is that if a team needed a critical play, they never got it. It could be a 4th down conversion, a FG etc and they wouldn't get it. They always cam up with clutch plays that turned the game around. In the game against Wofford, they held them 2 or 3 times inside the 10 and they got ZERO points. This included 2 failed 4th down conversions and a blocked FG. I am not sure who's is better, but I will say that since athhletes are bigger and faster today that the Bison D has the edge. The teams look very similar to me. I just can't get over it. They play a similar type of offense, defense and special teams and they never beat themselves. It is stunning.

blueballs
December 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM
This would actually be an interesting thread if you weren't being such a Dick....

This NDSU is so great and my team has no chance bs is old.... Should be a great game Friday and it could go either way. From someone who has watched every game the past two years I can tell you this Defense is significantly better than last year. Does that mean GS will only score 7 points this time around? Hell no....but you are not going to run for 600 yd either.

This game will come down to what all games come down to. The team that makes the fewest mistakes wins. TO's will be huge and could easily decide the outcome.

Now now.... don't be a dick by calling me a dick.

GSU lost a lot of good players from last year's offense... Shaw, Maxwell, Moore, Wilcox (moved to defense), Mann, Brown (out w/injury) so if the mighty Bison defense is even better than last year's edition that surely doesn't fare well for a very inexperienced and undermanned GSU offense.

When I read that, coupled with the fact that the MVFC was sooooo much better than every other conference this year and the fact that the SoCon is over rated this ain't shaping up too good for the boys in blue.

Methinks GSU will be lucky to cross midfield, let alone score. I just wish this emasculation wasn't being broadcast on the worldwide leader in prime time... how embarrassing for the once proud GSU program.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing for FCS overall or not... however, on second thought everybody loves a dynasty and TV especially loves one- see ESPN's love affair with the Yankees, Lakers, Alabama, and Patriots for a reference.... so this IS a good thing for all of us and we should rejoice in it.

Thanks Bison!!!!!!

BisonFan02
December 11th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Andre Martin and Bobby Ollman are starters and seniors

Again...read my correction about Andre. Bobby Ollman is also only a starter with Heagle out.

steelbison
December 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Now now.... don't be a dick by calling me a dick.

GSU lost a lot of good players from last year's offense... Shaw, Maxwell, Moore, Wilcox (moved to defense), Mann, Brown (out w/injury) so if the mighty Bison defense is even better than last year's edition that surely doesn't fare well for a very inexperienced and undermanned GSU offense.

When I read that, coupled with the fact that the MVFC was sooooo much better than every other conference this year and the fact that the SoCon is over rated this ain't shaping up too good for the boys in blue.

Methinks GSU will be lucky to cross midfield, let alone score. I just wish this emasculation wasn't being broadcast on the worldwide leader in prime time... how embarrassing for the once proud GSU program.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing for FCS overall or not... however, on second thought everybody loves a dynasty and TV especially loves one- see ESPN's love affair with the Yankees, Lakers, Alabama, and Patriots for a reference.... so this IS a good thing for all of us and we should rejoice in it.

Thanks Bison!!!!!!

I guess it's your choice to continue down this road...actually thought you could have a real discussion but that was stupid on my part. Like I said just because our D is better than last year doesn't mean we win or hold you to 7 points like last year. Guess you didn't read that part.

Should be a great game and I can't wait for Friday!!! Best of luck to the Eagles. Should be a good one!

steelbison
December 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
This.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The only team who can beat the Bison this year is the Bison. The Wofford game showed that.

Totally disagree with this. Just about any team could say that. The Bison could play a clean game(no turnovers) and still lose to any of the remaining teams. These games will come down to coaching, execution and not turning the ball over. We are not invincible. Not even close. The Wofford game should have showed you that!!! Or about five other games this year.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Totally disagree with this. Just about any team could say that. The Bison could play a clean game(no turnovers) and still lose to any of the remaining teams. These games will come down to coaching, execution and not turning the ball over. We are not invincible. Not even close. The Wofford game should have showed you that!!! Or about five other games this year.

I'm pretty sure that's what I meant.

Twentysix
December 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that's what I meant.

That was pretty obvious.

Houndawg
December 11th, 2012, 02:16 PM
That 1994 Defense was right up there with the Bison's defense. What I clearly remember is that if a team needed a critical play, they never got it. It could be a 4th down conversion, a FG etc and they wouldn't get it. They always cam up with clutch plays that turned the game around. In the game against Wofford, they held them 2 or 3 times inside the 10 and they got ZERO points. This included 2 failed 4th down conversions and a blocked FG. I am not sure who's is better, but I will say that since athhletes are bigger and faster today that the Bison D has the edge. The teams look very similar to me. I just can't get over it. They play a similar type of offense, defense and special teams and they never beat themselves. It is stunning.

I think that the '72 Dolphins and the '85 Bears were about as close as a defense manned by mortals has come to the Bison defense.xcoffeex

woffordgrad94
December 13th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Wow, I loved watching the '85 Bears. William "The Refrigerator" Perry was quite the character. And Mike Singletary was a beast!

Southern Bison
December 13th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Wow, I loved watching the '85 Bears. William "The Refrigerator" Perry was quite the character. And Mike Singletary was a beast!

Steve McMichael, Ron Rivera (NFL Panthers HC), and they had a couple of great DBs too.

woffordgrad94
December 13th, 2012, 11:20 PM
The '85 Bears- Here they are- Wow, the memories!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/10098

silkamilkamonico
December 14th, 2012, 01:28 AM

In 1994, offense in college football wasn't anywhere near the level that offenses were now.

I don't think NDSU has the best defense of all time. I don't think it was as good as last year's ended up being. I think last year could have made an argument.

I do think, however, that considering where offenses are consistently scoring 35+ points a game, and this NDSU defense still holds offenses to 1 score and sometimes less, is pretty remarkable.

frozennorth
December 14th, 2012, 04:08 AM
i think marshall would have the best shot at breaking 30.

It's pretty tough to compare to teams whose players who have already gone to the NFL and had their careers. In 15 years, once the current round of players from ndsu and their opponents have made it and possibly made names for themselves, that 2011 team might look pretty formidable, and get tossed out as an example of the sublime teams of old when we have this same conversation with some new upstart.

Anyway, the turnover woes this year probably peg this years team worse than last years. Also, i think if you put NDSU's D up against the O for 10 drives, the D would score more points.

BisonPride
December 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM
While I think this years defense is definitely better then last year I am not sure if this one is the best ever in NDSU history. 1986 national championship year they allowed 6.69ppg. The starting d maybe allowed 3ppg. They out scored their opponents 539 to 87. The most they allowed was 13 to UND in if I remember right was a 49-0 lead before they scored on our 3rd string.

We obviously will never know but I don't even think Georgia Southern beats us for the national title in 1986 if they played. 4 seniors went to the NFL that year (one a future pro bowler in Tyrone Braxton at SS) and QB Jeff Bentrim broke Walter Payton's career NCAA TD record before playing in the CFL. Had Bentrim not been knocked out early in the 84 title game (which they lost on a desperation 50+ fg where they sprinted on the field with no TO left) they would have won 4 straight titles. The national championship that year was NDSU vs South Dakota. Considering there were no other I-AA teams around in a much more regional recruiting era and scholarship limitations no where close to now in DII and you have a I-AA talent level destroying D2.

Bentrim breaks Peyton's record running on basically ice at UND.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=ETLEsoWsGdk

AmsterBison
December 14th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I've said it many-a-time: 1986 Georgia Southern vs 1986 North Dakota State would have been a hell of a game.

ysubigred
December 14th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Answered my own question

YPG 149.9 1978 FAMU

PPG 6.5 1978 SCSU

The 97 YSU and McNeese teams had great "D"s... not sure where they ranked all season but the NC game final score was 10-9 xawesomex

ysubigred
December 14th, 2012, 08:57 AM

I think the 97 YSU team "D" was better. The 94 team gave up fewer points and no losses but you have to give some credit to the YSU 94 "O" and ball control for a lot of that.

darell1976
December 14th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I've said it many-a-time: 1986 Georgia Southern vs 1986 North Dakota State would have been a hell of a game.

My pick would be the 86 Bison. They were a very dangerous team. That veer was unstoppable.

darell1976
December 14th, 2012, 09:34 AM
While I think this years defense is definitely better then last year I am not sure if this one is the best ever in NDSU history. 1986 national championship year they allowed 6.69ppg. The starting d maybe allowed 3ppg. They out scored their opponents 539 to 87. The most they allowed was 13 to UND in if I remember right was a 49-0 lead before they scored on our 3rd string.

We obviously will never know but I don't even think Georgia Southern beats us for the national title in 1986 if they played. 4 seniors went to the NFL that year (one a future pro bowler in Tyrone Braxton at SS) and QB Jeff Bentrim broke Walter Payton's career NCAA TD record before playing in the CFL. Had Bentrim not been knocked out early in the 84 title game (which they lost on a desperation 50+ fg where they sprinted on the field with no TO left) they would have won 4 straight titles. The national championship that year was NDSU vs South Dakota. Considering there were no other I-AA teams around in a much more regional recruiting era and scholarship limitations no where close to now in DII and you have a I-AA talent level destroying D2.

Bentrim breaks Peyton's record running on basically ice at UND.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=ETLEsoWsGdk

Our team was so horrible that year I am surprised NDSU didn't score 100. You can tell how bad we were when the Bison were coming onto the field you can see the empty seats in the stands. That Bison team was a monster.

Go Bison
December 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I found this posted a while ago but I am pretty sure it is true: Back when Bentrim broke Walter Paytons TD record they had a segment on him on the NFL Today with Brent Musburger and Jimmy the Greek, and Jimmy said NDSU was the 12th best college football team in the country, regardless of division.

Southern Bison
December 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Our team was so horrible that year I am surprised NDSU didn't score 100. You can tell how bad we were when the Bison were coming onto the field you can see the empty seats in the stands. That Bison team was a monster.

Ummm...Just that year? Aren't ya'll almost finished with your 30-yr plan?

Agenda:
1. Complain that NDSU is going FCS and we're not so we won't play them anymore.
2. Bend over with a smile as the NCAA takes our mascot.
3. Build a boondoggle of a dome and consistently have poor ticket sales.
4. Keep extending Muss' contract.
5. Design our D to get scored on more often than the sororities.

deez_na
December 14th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Agenda:

lol

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I dont think that NDSUs defense is the greatest of all time..........I think its much, much better than that.

Bison56
December 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM
"Since we've established that NDSU is the greatest defense ever"

Pretty much sums it up.

silkamilkamonico
December 14th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I dont think that NDSUs defense is the greatest of all time..........I think its much, much better than that.

That will be next year, when they return 9 of their starters, not including Heagle and Perry, 2 of their top 4 defensive players who will be returning from injury.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM
That will be next year, when they return 9 of their starters, not including Heagle and Perry, 2 of their top 4 defensive players who will be returning from injury.

I am starting to wonder why we even play the games..................................

blueballs
December 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM

But of course...

... the games will be played next year not as contests but as a year long coronation and celebration of the NDSU defense's greatness. The teams on NDSU's schedule will not be seen as opponents, rather as extras in a grand production rivaling the Royal Wedding.

... ESPN will change the name of its networks to NDSPN in deference.

... Roger Goodell, citing an obscure competition clause, will try to suspend the NDSU defense.

... Barack Obama will recall the drones and send the NDSU defense to Afghanistan to wipe out Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

... David Stern will try broker a trade of the NDSU defense to the Lakers.

... WalMart will release a line of feminine hygeine products modeled after the NDSU defense, the "Bitchin' Bizon Buffers."

More to come...

Gil Dobie
December 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ALPHAGRIZ1 again.

Gil Dobie
December 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
But of course...

... the games will be played next year not as contests but as a year long coronation and celebration of the NDSU defense's greatness. The teams on NDSU's schedule will not be seen as opponents, rather as extras in a grand production rivaling the Royal Wedding.

... Roger Goodell, citing an obscure competition clause, will try to suspend the NDSU defense.

... Barack Obama will recall the drones and send the NDSU defense to Afghanistan to wipe out Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

... WalMart will release a line of feminine hygeine products modeled after the NDSU defense, the "Bitchin' Bizon Buffers."

More to come...

....and that's after the Kansas St FB win next year ;)

bisonboone11
December 14th, 2012, 11:32 AM
But of course...

More to come...
Call me crazy, but I'm starting to sense a hint of sarcasm here, and this is beginning to seem somewhat insincere. I feel like you are no longer attempting to stimulate a real conversation, but rather are just attempting to troll....... No, that can't be it. I apologize for questioning your motives. Please continue.

CID1990
December 14th, 2012, 11:35 AM
All of you are forgetting about the Chattanooga defense.

If UTC and NDSU ever met on the field, it would probably create a wormhole and destroy us all.

darell1976
December 14th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Agenda:

I was posting about that video which was in 86....you don't have to be a jerk about it.

blueballs
December 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm starting to sense a hint of sarcasm here, and this is beginning to seem somewhat insincere. I feel like you are no longer attempting to stimulate a real conversation, but rather are just attempting to troll....... No, that can't be it. I apologize for questioning your motives. Please continue.

No sarcasm or condescension... just having fun and cracking jokes.

Some of you guys need to unwind your springs a little bit... this is a football game and a football message board. It is a diversion from the stresses, trials, and trevails in all of our lives. Don't take it so f--king seriously.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm here to have fun, gain some knowledge, and make friends. Period.

Don't derive your sense of worth and esteem from the fortunes of your favorite sports team- you'll eventually find yourself very disappointed.

silkamilkamonico
December 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM
LMAO at some of the hate here

Ain't our fault that your school can't figure out how to play defense. Try sending a letter of recommendation to your programs coaching department and inform them that there is actually 3 phases that make up a football team

bisonboone11
December 14th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Some of you guys need to unwind your springs a little bit... this is a football game and a football message board. It is a diversion from the stresses, trials, and trevails in all of our lives. Don't take it so f--king seriously.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm here to have fun, gain some knowledge, and make friends. Period.

Don't derive your sense of worth and esteem from the fortunes of your favorite sports team- you'll eventually find yourself very disappointed.
So when you attempt to make a joke, it's all in good fun, but when others joke back with you, they are taking it too seriously? Lighten up.

Southern Bison
December 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM

26 dead, including 18 kids at CT elementary school shooting this morning. Let's keep the things that truly matter in focus people. Damn near everything typed on here is "bar stool bravado" and if you get ornery over it, then stop reading & posting.

blueballs
December 14th, 2012, 03:56 PM
26 dead, including 18 kids at CT elementary school shooting this morning. Let's keep the things that truly matter in focus people. Damn near everything typed on here is "bar stool bravado" and if you get ornery over it, then stop reading & posting.

AMEN

blueballs
December 15th, 2012, 09:11 AM
To re-visit this thread... everything posted prior was in jest and to poke fun at many- not all- Bison fans who, IMO, take this waaaaay too seriously.

That being said, NDSU's defense is FBS caliber, no question. GSU played a great game offensively and except for the penalties got just about everything they wanted. If they had been playing anybody else in this division they put up 40-50+ and it is a blow out.

Congratulations to the Bison and the Eagles last night on a tremendous thrilling effort. That was the definition of championship football.

Congratulations to the Bison faithful in attendance at the game. You looked great, sounded great, affected GSU's offense, and lifted your team... just a tremendous job.

That was a great game between two flagship programs and was a great representation for the division. We should all raise a glass to the two programs and their fans.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM
To re-visit this thread... everything posted prior was in jest and to poke fun at many- not all- Bison fans who, IMO, take this waaaaay too seriously.

That being said, NDSU's defense is FBS caliber, no question. GSU played a great game offensively and except for the penalties got just about everything they wanted. If they had been playing anybody else in this division they put up 40-50+ and it is a blow out.

Congratulations to the Bison and the Eagles last night on a tremendous thrilling effort. That was the definition of championship football.

Congratulations to the Bison faithful in attendance at the game. You looked great, sounded great, affected GSU's offense, and lifted your team... just a tremendous job.

That was a great game between two flagship programs and was a great representation for the division. We should all raise a glass to the two programs and their fans.

Agree.

Good post!

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM

Being the Southern Conference, Furman, is coming to the Fargodome this year, I thought I would bump blueballs thread.

Hammerhead
December 2nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
Let's look at the other MVFC team in the playoffs. SDSU averages 29 points per game (not including points scored in overtime) and they scored zero vs. NDSU.