PDA

View Full Version : Is the current FCS playoff system too long (and drawn out)? Is there an alternative?

Sader87
December 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Bit of a debate at our board on whether the current system is worth being a part of in that more than likely a team coming out of the PL would (hypothetically) have to win 5 additional games and play into January to win the NC.

Is this the best system for these student-athletes physically, mentally (playing through final exams) etc?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Come on. You "smaht" kids should be able to figure it out.

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I don't have an issue with the length. I think it's just about right.

BEAR
December 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
And it's getting longer next year with 24 teams! xlolx

Twentysix
December 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hard to crown a true champ with less games. Maybe you could take the opening round away.

Twentysix
December 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Says who? It will still be round 1, 2, qtr, semi, natty. Won't it?

BEAR
December 10th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Figured you'd say that. xlolx Length as in # of games, there will be at least two more of those. Factor in also more road trips for the additional 4 teams. Miles.

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Yep. 8 first round games, 8 second round games, 4 quarterfinals, 2 semifinals, finals.

AshevilleApp2
December 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'm okay with needing to win multiple games to be the champion, although I thought 16 teams was plenty. I don't like the delay in between the semis and final.

Twentysix
December 10th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Figured you'd say that. xlolx Length as in # of games, there will be at least two more of those. Factor in also more road trips for the additional 4 teams. Miles.

So what you are saying is the maximum number of playoff games is 5 this year and it will be 5 next year. I gotcha, "longer." xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Where did this come from? NO!!!!

You could perhaps redistribute the games a bit, throw a bye week in there for the final four, but... NO!!!

BEAR
December 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
So what you are saying is the maximum number of playoff games is 5 this year and it will be 5 next year. I gotcha, "longer." xlolx

No. Not # of rounds, but total # of games. Do some of those teams in the first round really have a chance anyway? xlolx Makes for a long wait for second round teams while they prepare for the third round. xlolx

Twentysix
December 10th, 2012, 09:38 AM
No. Not # of rounds, but total # of games. Do some of those teams in the first round really have a chance anyway? xlolx Makes for a long wait for second round teams while they prepare for the third round. xlolx

Some of the teams in the first round certainly have a chance. Just look to 2010, NDSU takes the champ to overtime on the road. Georgia Southern makes the Semifinals. Both round 1 teams.

BEAR
December 10th, 2012, 09:40 AM
My point...2 more games..hence making the process even longer than this year....and for what? xpopcornx

Twentysix
December 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM
My point...2 more games..hence making the process even longer than this year....and for what? xpopcornx

Mostly to let Drake become the next Lehigh.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Mostly to let Drake become the next Lehigh.

You mean the next 10-1 team to have 10 D-I wins to be denied by the committee? Surely you meant something else.

Twentysix
December 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
You mean the next 10-1 team to have 10 D-I wins to be denied by the committee? Surely you meant something else.

Indeed with wins over teams like San Diego, Valparaiso and even the juggernaught known as Butler, maybe an out of conference win over columbia or georgetown. With an admirable three touchdown loss to Idaho State.

Definitly a team that will be up there in the GPI ;)

fmrbearkat
December 10th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I don't like the fact there is going to be 3 weeks from this weekends game to the National Championship game. That's a little rediculous!

Gil Dobie
December 10th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Just right and I love the 3 weeks between the semi's and final and having the Championship game in bowl season.
If you are not in a good playoff run, it probably feels too long.

Reign of Terrier
December 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I think at this point, 24 teams is plenty. We thought 20 was a sufficient number, but this year proved that to be a false conclusion.

I also think any football playoff should be double elimination (whether that be pro, FBS, or FCS) because the best team doesn't always win, but that's another discussion all together (and no, this isn't a reaction to the Wofford game this week, more like a reaction of 9-7 teams winning the super bowl)

Cleets
December 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
As many games as it takes to filter out the annual Villanova automatic bid...

:D troll post

Southern Bison
December 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
We could start with the Statesboro Ace Hardware Bowl, the Scheels Bowl (Fargo), the Kotex Bowl (Cheney)...

The move from 20 to 24 teams doesnt' add any # of weekends. It simply eliminates the bye week for "seeds" 5-8 as they will have a game in the 1st round against a Lehigh (couldn't resist), Towson, Richmond.

trouthunter
December 10th, 2012, 11:38 AM
In '08 I was stranded in the Denver airport on my way to Chatanooga so I am glad the 'Chipper is later in the year now.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Bit of a debate at our board on whether the current system is worth being a part of in that more than likely a team coming out of the PL would (hypothetically) have to win 5 additional games and play into January to win the NC.

Is this the best system for these student-athletes physically, mentally (playing through final exams) etc?

No, under the current system it's pretty dead on as far as the fans of only two teams goes...I mean that in this only affects two teams so it doesn't affect anyone else. For those teams and those fans this is a big win in being able to make it to this game. Trust me, the other way was a total bitch.

georgecostanza
December 10th, 2012, 11:43 AM
You could perhaps redistribute the games a bit, throw a bye week in there for the final four, but... NO!!!
I like this thought quite a bit. Throw a bye week in this week (many schools taking finals), and have the semis the weekend before Christmas. Major drawback being less national exposure due to coinciding bowl games.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I think this schedule is 10x better than the old schedule when there were 16 teams and they played the championship before christmas. This takes the biggest weekend out of the horribly attended Saturday after Thanksgiving slot. It is also much better to have 3 weeks in between the semis and the championship game to allow for fans to make accomodations for travel. I couldn't imagine the pandemonium among fans if you'd only have 5 days in between your Saturday semifinal and the Friday championship game to plan travel.

Sammy94
December 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Why bother with the playoffs at all? We all know no one can compete with the MVC. Just take the MVC Champ and declare them as NC.

Gil Dobie
December 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Why bother with the playoffs at all? We all know no one can compete with the MVC. Just take the MVC Champ and declare them as NC.

Can't compete with the MFVC either ;)

MVC is a basketball conference.

AshevilleApp2
December 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
No, under the current system it's pretty dead on as far as the fans of only two teams goes...I mean that in this only affects two teams so it doesn't affect anyone else. For those teams and those fans this is a big win in being able to make it to this game. Trust me, the other way was a total bitch.

I never had a travel problem with the old format. :D

Sammy94
December 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I should have known that I don't know how I always forget they are the MF's

Southern Bison
December 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Okay...is SHSU planning on offering another "participation" ring this year? Or perhaps Runner-Up Back to Back t-shirts?

Southern Bison
December 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I should have known that I don't know how I always forget they are the MF's

And it's MVFC.

Sammy94
December 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Okay...is SHSU planning on offering another "participation" ring this year? Or perhaps Runner-Up Back to Back t-shirts?

Perhaps a shirt but yes I am 100% sure the boys get another SLC ring even though they were co-champs this time. :D

And it's MVFC.

And yes I know that. I just couldn't pass that up.

TypicalTribe
December 10th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Much like the NCAA tourney field of 64, I miss the 16 team bracket just because of the symmetry and everyone playing the same number of games. When you typically play only 11 games in a season, having to win 5 for a national championship seems like a lot. And, while the three week break certainly makes it easier for fans to get to the game compared to the short week before Chatty, it allows allows all the playoff momentum to disappear.

Cotton Bowl is on Friday night between Texas A&M and Oklahoma and the Alabama/Notre Dame game is on Monday night plus there will be two NFL playoff games the Saturday of the FCS title game. FCS just gets lost in the noise.

RabidRabbit
December 10th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Just right and I love the 3 weeks between the semi's and final and having the Championship game in bowl season.
If you are not in a good playoff run, it probably feels too long.

IMHO, having the Championship game after 1/1/XX is a great deal. Have over 14 days for fans to book airline, and travel on the less traveled dates after the Christmas/New Years means availability and rates are less than the blackout dates during the Holidays Rush. I would love to see ESPN/NCAA get it together, and put this on the same day or weekend as like a matinee to the BCS championship game. That way, the Division I champs are crowned at the same day.

Pard4Life
December 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM

I say we create a formula to determine playoff teams: a coaches poll, media poll, and computer rankings should be used to create an aggregate standings. The top two teams should play for the championship. Any questions? :D

Twentysix
December 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I say we create a formula to determine playoff teams: a coaches poll, media poll, and computer rankings should be used to create an aggregate standings. The top two teams should play for the championship. Any questions? :D

I have a question. How much money will this formula make me in comparison?

frozennorth
December 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM
i think there should be an off week for finals

Bison56
December 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I think this schedule is 10x better than the old schedule when there were 16 teams and they played the championship before christmas. This takes the biggest weekend out of the horribly attended Saturday after Thanksgiving slot. It is also much better to have 3 weeks in between the semis and the championship game to allow for fans to make accomodations for travel. I couldn't imagine the pandemonium among fans if you'd only have 5 days in between your Saturday semifinal and the Friday championship game to plan travel.

Being a Bison fan its easy you have plenty of time in between the championship games.xthumbsupx

Bison56
December 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM

Smartest person on the board right here ^

cbarrier90
December 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
It was fine the way it was...

ursus arctos horribilis
December 10th, 2012, 01:15 PM
It was fine the way it was...

It's better now.

dbackjon
December 10th, 2012, 01:22 PM

Nope - same length.

SpeedkingATL
December 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I always liked the 16 team playoff but the inclusion up to 24 really doesn't hurt anything and only adds one week from the old 16 team format. I wish the Championship game was a little closer to the semi-finals but it is what it is. More people can probably plan to travel in January than can do something spur of the moment around the holidays which appears to limit playoff attendance as it is. The longer college football goes on the better for me.

NDB
December 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM

I think in many years, when a clear cut champion in known to all, that the playoffs should be forgone and the NCAA should just crown their A$#%$#.

Case in point, Colgate this year.

ngineer
December 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I don't like the fact there is going to be 3 weeks from this weekends game to the National Championship game. That's a little rediculous!

Not sure about that. Nice to give the guys off to do some healing and 'recharge' for the NC game. Also time for some to catch up academically if they were given 'delays' in taking finals by their schools.

MplsBison
December 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Considering that I-A is just going up to a 4 team playoff, all picked at large (no autos) -- I think I-AA had it pretty good with the 16 team playoff and 8 autobids.

Absolutely no reason to give every conference in the division an auto. But I could see something like awarding the autos every year to the 8 most deserving conferences based on the previous year's performance.

For example, give the MEAC and PL autos to the NEC and Big South.

DoubleH
December 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM

I agree, and I also think the National Championship game should not be played at the tail end of the major bowl season. Coverage/interest is bad enough, I'd rather it going up against Idaho Potato Bowls and such, where given the choice a casual CFB fan might take in an actual championship game rather than a crap bowl game between 2 7-4 teams.

Hammerhead
December 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Shorten the season by 2 games and add 2 consolation games for the 100 or so teams that don't make the playoffs.

BEAR
December 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Let's just give the teams that don't make it a bowl game! xbowx

md64179
December 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM
16 was perfect, but 20 is fine.

walliver
December 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I think 16 is ideal. It could be modified so that AQ's are reassigned annually based on conference strength.

MR. CHICKEN
December 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM
17351.....FBS SQWADS...HAVE TA PRACTICE/SKRIMMAGE..FO' 4/5 WEEKS....AWAITIN' DUH BIG JANUARY BOWLS......WHAT'S DUH DIFF?....THINKIN' PLAYERS WOOD RATHERAH....CONTINUE PLAYIN' EACH WEEK....HEY DUH FCS FAVES...GET AN INITIAL BYE TA REST/HEAL....DEN 'NOTHERAH BYE....B/4...DUH BLING BOWL...ANY-WHO.....xdontknowx...DOODLE-DOO!

skinny_uncle
December 11th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Let's just give the teams that don't make it a bowl game! xbowx

That's BcS!

McNeese72
December 11th, 2012, 08:01 AM
17351.....FBS SQWADS...HAVE TA PRACTICE/SKRIMMAGE..FO' 4/5 WEEKS....AWAITIN' DUH BIG JANUARY BOWLS......WHAT'S DUH DIFF?....THINKIN' PLAYERS WOOD RATHERAH....CONTINUE PLAYIN' EACH WEEK....HEY DUH FCS FAVES...GET AN INITIAL BYE TA REST/HEAL....DEN 'NOTHERAH BYE....B/4...DUH BLING BOWL...ANY-WHO.....xdontknowx...DOODLE-DOO!

Chicken has valid point. The FBS teams will practicing each week until their bowl game.

Another factor is, unlike the FBS teams who will all be practicing until their bowl game, each week the FCS field is cut in half (or whatever however they will do the byes). There are only two teams, the ones who make the NC game, who will be playing and practicing the whole time.

UCABEARS75
December 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM

They are trying to tell you the "process" will NOT be any longer.

The playoff system will remain the same number of weeks. A team playing on the opening weekend will have to play the same number of games to win the championship.

straightshooter
December 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Don't like the championship game having to wait three weeks. I liked the old system where the game was played the week after the semi-finals. It seems to take some momentum away from the buildup.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Good job putting a poll on this one cuz that's a pretty stunning landslide that people think the way it is now is better.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Chicken has valid point. The FBS teams will practicing each week until their bowl game.

Another factor is, unlike the FBS teams who will all be practicing until their bowl game, each week the FCS field is cut in half (or whatever however they will do the byes). There are only two teams, the ones who make the NC game, who will be playing and practicing the whole time.
You meant to say ursus correct...:D

MplsBison
December 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Good job putting a poll on this one cuz that's a pretty stunning landslide that people think the way it is now is better.

Just because 80% of people polled answer that 1+1=3, doesn't make it so.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Doesn't it.

Southern Bison
December 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM

But the difference between this poll and Obama's re-election is that this poll has informed people voting and they're not being promised free stuff.

Lehigh'98
December 12th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Considering that I-A is just going up to a 4 team playoff, all picked at large (no autos) -- I think I-AA had it pretty good with the 16 team playoff and 8 autobids.

Absolutely no reason to give every conference in the division an auto. But I could see something like awarding the autos every year to the 8 most deserving conferences based on the previous year's performance.

For example, give the MEAC and PL autos to the NEC and Big South.

So a conference has a down year and you take their auto? Then a team can have a good 9-2 year, win the conference and sit home. I really don't see the issue with all the conferences being represented. It works very well for the NCAA bball tourney. This is like that on a much smaller scale.

MplsBison
December 13th, 2012, 08:29 AM
So a conference has a down year and you take their auto? Then a team can have a good 9-2 year, win the conference and sit home. I really don't see the issue with all the conferences being represented. It works very well for the NCAA bball tourney. This is like that on a much smaller scale.

I agree there isn't any issue.....EXCEPT the exact issue that this thread was named for! You can't represent every conference without drawing out the process...

Lehigh'98
December 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I agree there isn't any issue.....EXCEPT the exact issue that this thread was named for! You can't represent every conference without drawing out the process...

Based on the voting, I don't think there is a problem with the current system. Most people who have played would love a chance to end their season on a field, win or lose. With a 16 team field, as shown, some very good teams don't get that chance. Obviously, you have to cut it off at some point though. 20-24 is a perfect # imo. Maybe the little guys will hardly ever win a championship, but at least they have the chance.

ysubigred
December 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I'm okay with needing to win multiple games to be the champion, although I thought 16 teams was plenty. I don't like the delay in between the semis and final.

This ^^^ +1 To add I'd like to see the best 16 teams make the playoff and cut the conference auto bid's.

deez_na
December 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM
What's the big deal with 4 extra teams? Nothings really changing except for a couple extra games. They will still be played the same weekend and the following week matchups will be decided the same as it is now. If it took another week then you could make a point.

MplsBison
December 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
What's the big deal with 4 extra teams? Nothings really changing except for a couple extra games. They will still be played the same weekend and the following week matchups will be decided the same as it is now. If it took another week then you could make a point.

There is nothing between 20->24.

The discussion is going beyond 16. It was a mistake and has drawn out the process.

Give 8 autobids to the 8 most deserving conferences from a year ago, whoever they are and pick 8 at-large. End

deez_na
December 13th, 2012, 02:06 PM
There is nothing between 20->24.

The discussion is going beyond 16. It was a mistake and has drawn out the process.

Give 8 autobids to the 8 most deserving conferences from a year ago, whoever they are and pick 8 at-large. End

Yeah I hear ya. I don't mind the process right now but 8 & 8 seems like the nice way.

Bisonoline
December 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
No i dont think the playoff is too long. Its just about right and accomplishes what its supposed to do.

Nickels
December 13th, 2012, 04:04 PM
But the difference between this poll and Obama's re-election is that this poll has informed people voting and they're not being promised free stuff.

xlolxxnodx

Bam
December 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Go back to 16