PDA

View Full Version : Home field advantage is important

Reign of Terrier
December 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Just a fun little factoid I saw earlier today, of the past 13 champions, 9 of them had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Only 2 played no home games in the playoffs. In the last 3 years, the teams in the championships have had homefield throughout the playoffs.

gsu_paintballer
December 9th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Anyone who thinks it's not a big deal is crazy.

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Reason #1 UNH never gets past the quarterfinals. Until UNH upgrades the facilities, UNH will be road warriors come playoff time. And we have never fielded a team that can win 5 straight on the road.

LuckyKat
December 9th, 2012, 05:10 PM
xcoffeex

woffordgrad94
December 9th, 2012, 05:13 PM
What this is basically saying is that it will be very hard for a team like Wofford to win it all, as it is tough for us to get home playoff games. We will pretty much have to go ubeaten in FCS games and win the SoCon outright and earn a high seeding to have a real legit shot (and schedule no stupid D2/NAIA games). I can't disagree.

taper
December 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
No doubt it's a big help, but I think the 9 of 13 champs having homefield is more from great teams get seeded and not that homefield makes great teams.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
You need at least one home game imo. Constantly playing on the road has been a major hurdle for Lehigh and their fellow PL mates.

kalm
December 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
What this is basically saying is that it will be very hard for a team like Wofford to win it all, as it is tough for us to get home playoff games. We will pretty much have to go ubeaten in FCS games and win the SoCon outright and earn a high seeding to have a real legit shot (and schedule no stupid D2/NAIA games). I can't disagree.

You don't have to go undefeated or win the conference outright...but welcome to the club.

clenz
December 9th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Reason #1 UNH never gets past the quarterfinals. Until UNH upgrades the facilities, UNH will be road warriors come playoff time. And we have never fielded a team that can win 5 straight on the road.
UNI played @ UNH in 2005, if I'm not mistaken UNH was #1

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I know JMU had no home games in '04. I thought we were the only one to do it, who was the other?

AppAlum2003
December 9th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Devil's advocate, here. Aren't the "best" teams typically ranked the highest and seeded, enabling home games? Never mind the non-seeded teams, most aren't playing after the first two weeks of the playoffs.

Home field has some advantage, but I don't think as great as we are letting ourselves believe.

Reign of Terrier
December 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I know JMU had no home games in '04. I thought we were the only one to do it, who was the other?

Western Kentucky may have had a home game, I made a mistake

IBleedYellow
December 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Devil's advocate, here. Aren't the "best" teams typically ranked the highest and seeded, enabling home games? Never mind the non-seeded teams, most aren't playing after the first two weeks of the playoffs.

Home field has some advantage, but I don't think as great as we are letting ourselves believe.

Honestly, this is how I read it, as well.

sgt smash
December 9th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Exhibit A: Illinois State @ Appalachian State

McNeese75
December 9th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Western Kentucky may have had a home game, I made a mistake

Their first playoff game was at home (Murray State)

AppAlum2003
December 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Exhibit A: Illinois State @ Appalachian State

Classy.

Reading comprehension, please. That NDSU education has let you down.

Neither ASU nor ISU were seeded. So, the scenario you delightfully brought up because you have a hard-on for App St doesn't apply.

Southern Bison
December 9th, 2012, 09:28 PM
xcoffeex

Lucky, please fix your avatar to read "Home of Runners-up"

UNH Fanboi
December 9th, 2012, 09:57 PM
In the playoffs, Montana is:
29-6 at home
2-9 on the road
1-4 at neutral sites

BEAR
December 10th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Two years straight into the playoffs and no homegames for UCA yet. I bet a home game against Georgia Southern would have made ALL the difference, muliticolored turf or not.

gotts
December 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Two years straight into the playoffs and no homegames for UCA yet. I bet a home game against Georgia Southern would have made ALL the difference, muliticolored turf or not.

You didn't host TTU? Man, my memory is fading fast.

BEAR
December 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
You didn't host TTU? Man, my memory is fading fast.

Nah. We went to TTU. Nice campus by the way. The bears have only been post season eligible for 3 years so I guess I shouldn't complain since we've been two of those. But it sure would have been nice to see just ONE at home even if it is first round. ..just so the fans could see what the division I playoffs are like.