PDA

View Full Version : JMU Coaching Changes: Mickey Safe......for now.

whitey
December 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Offensive Coordinate (Durden) and Offensive Line Coach (Malone) have been let go as Matthews shakes up the staff a bit.

Press Release (http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205819877&DB_OEM_ID=14400)

I support Coach Matthews and his leadership of our football program. In leading his team, Coach Matthews is responsible for all aspects of our program and achieving our expectations for success.

Our record this year, 7-4, and being excluded from post-season competition clearly is not our goal. We expect our football team to compete for the CAA Football Championship every year. Further, we expect our football program to reach and advance in the FCS Playoffs annually and be among the final teams in pursuit of a National Championship.

Sounds like the Mickster is getting one more shot (I believe he has 2 years left on his current contract).

JMUNJ08
December 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Seems like the right move to shake up our very stagnant Offense. We were dominant and won the title with a strong offensive line and great skill players. I still think we have the great skill players, but the pieces aren't fitting and the offensive line isn't allowing us to methodicaly go down the field with basic running plays like the old days. Our defense is 100% better than when I was their from 04-09, but our Offense leaves much to be desired.

What I hate about the second part of your quote from the article, is that we did compete for the crown this year and the playoffs. We were 30 minutes away from getting to the playoffs and the CAA title on the last game of the season. Did we get the right results? No, but we competed.

However, if we want to be a annual playoff team, we need better play calling and being more bold. I cannot stand for RB dive rights on 3rd and 9....

PAllen
December 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Wow, I guess a national championship only buys you 8-9 years of winning seasons and being in playoff contention in Harrisonburg.

JMad03
December 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM
QB Justin Thorpe and RB Jordan Anderson will not be returning next year. Starting QB for 2013 will be Michael Birdsong and according to a report, offense will move away from the option and play more to Birdsong's strengths.

JMUNJ08
December 7th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Any word on why Jordan is leaving the program? Really liked him running the rock.

kdinva
December 7th, 2012, 05:06 PM
QB Justin Thorpe and RB Jordan Anderson will not be returning next year.

So Thorpe isn't going to use his 6th year? Was that his call, or MM's?

Starting QB for 2013 will be Michael Birdsong and according to a report, offense will move away from the option and play more to Birdsong's strengths.

makes sense for Birdsong.......you didn't see Earl Morrall or Bernie Kosar or Peyton Manning running the Triple.....

heath
December 7th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Mickey has had more talent run through the JMU program than any other FCS school in the last 5-6 years.He talks the talk,but can't get the job done.Too many thugs and NO discipline. JMU should be a top 5 team every year,and even the Mick himself would agree.

Sonic98
December 10th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I'm just glad there is no crazy news coming from JMU's team like there is for the band.

bluehenbillk
December 10th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm just glad there is no crazy news coming from JMU's team like there is for the band.

Yep they're reportedly quite a handful.

Sonic98
December 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Yep they're reportedly quite a handful.

Seriously who sits around and decides to have a meat beating contest? I could almost understand if there were girls involved and there was a money shot contest LOL. Yes, a "handful" is correct.

JMUNJ08
December 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Can we keep the knocks to our football team please :)

elon77
December 10th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Seriously who sits around and decides to have a meat beating contest? I could almost understand if there were girls involved and there was a money shot contest LOL. Yes, a "handful" is correct.

Say what?