PDA

View Full Version : Socon option statistics.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Much has been made about running the option in the Socon and the impact of whether or not teams are able to stop it. In a lot of cases, during the regular season the option team starts out hot, but ends kind of cold. I think the case can be made that this is due to opposing teams seeing it so much and thus are able to adjust and find a feel in defending the option. Personally, I think the Citadel, Wofford, and GSU are about on equal footing when it comes to running the option and will even grant that perhaps Wofford is the weakest link statistically. With that said, injuries have effected us down the stretch, and we're finally getting healthy.

Anyway, here is how the "bubble teams" of the Socon, nullifying the Citadel (haha see what I did there Citdog?) did upon playing the option. I'm including App State of course.

App State:
1st try: gave up 618, 463 on the ground (lost) (2 turnovers)
2nd try: gave up 440 total yards, 393 on the ground (lost) (1 turnover)
3rd try: gave up 552 total yards, 386 on the ground (won) (2 turnovers)

Samford:
1: 394; 360 (L) (2 turnovers)
2: 304; 221 (W) (1 turnovers)
3 250; 215 (W in OT) (1 turnovers)

Chattanooga:
1: 357; 232 (W) (2 turnovers)
2: 427; 372 (L in 3OT) (2 turnovers)
3: 249; 215 (L in OT) (0 turnovers)

There are some points to made based off of this data

1)Wofford is statistically the lesser of the 3 option teams, with that said 2 of the 3 teams they played in the last 2 conference games of the season. With that said, they were the last team played by two very good defenses (both in the top 30)

2) There is a slight correlation between playing better against the TO more and it's success.

I still maintain that if Wofford doesn't turn the ball over, they will be productive on Saturday.

woffordgrad94
December 6th, 2012, 06:43 PM
YT, we don't always see eye to eye, but that was a great post. I totally agree with all of it. Good stuff.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2012, 07:38 PM
another note is that Wofford played the latter 2 teams with their 3rd string QB starting.....

Terryer
December 6th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Much has been made about running the option in the Socon and the impact of whether or not teams are able to stop it. In a lot of cases, during the regular season the option team starts out hot, but ends kind of cold. I think the case can be made that this is due to opposing teams seeing it so much and thus are able to adjust and find a feel in defending the option. Personally, I think the Citadel, Wofford, and GSU are about on equal footing when it comes to running the option and will even grant that perhaps Wofford is the weakest link statistically. With that said, injuries have effected us down the stretch, and we're finally getting healthy.

Anyway, here is how the "bubble teams" of the Socon, nullifying the Citadel (haha see what I did there Citdog?) did upon playing the option. I'm including App State of course.

App State:
1st try: gave up 618, 463 on the ground (lost) (2 turnovers)
2nd try: gave up 440 total yards, 393 on the ground (lost) (1 turnover)
3rd try: gave up 552 total yards, 386 on the ground (won) (2 turnovers)

Samford:
1: 394; 360 (L) (2 turnovers)
2: 304; 221 (W) (1 turnovers)
3 250; 215 (W in OT) (1 turnovers)

Chattanooga:
1: 357; 232 (W) (2 turnovers)
2: 427; 372 (L in 3OT) (2 turnovers)
3: 249; 215 (L in OT) (0 turnovers)

There are some points to made based off of this data

1)Wofford is statistically the lesser of the 3 option teams, with that said 2 of the 3 teams they played in the last 2 conference games of the season. With that said, they were the last team played by two very good defenses (both in the top 30)

2) There is a slight correlation between playing better against the TO more and it's success.

I still maintain that if Wofford doesn't turn the ball over, they will be productive on Saturday.

This is a cool analysis. Still can't believe App beat GSU while giving up that manny yards...