PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern's New Promo Commercial!

GaSouthern
August 18th, 2006, 07:49 PM
http://media.putfile.com/GSU-Video

The phrase "there is no option" has ruffled a few feathers! (no pun intended)

JohnStOnge
August 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
The phrase "there is no option" has ruffled a few feathers! (no pun intended)

I can understand why it would. That option offense is what made Georgia Southern what it was. It brought them six national championships. It was a very productive offense last year too; so there was no indication that it wasn't working anymore. I continue to think that making the decision to go in another direction at this point was a bad one. Georgia Southern moving away from the offensive system that made the program successful when that system was still working very well is, to me, a classic case of fixing something that wasn't broken.

But we'll see.

Killtoppers90
August 18th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Being that it is my profession, that was a well done video! Love the tagline!

GeauxColonels
August 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
It was a great video, but I can EASILY see why people would be somewhat upset about the quote at the end. Personally, I could easily see it as a kind-of "in your face" comment for everyone that is mad about losing the option.

JohnStOnge
August 18th, 2006, 10:48 PM
It was a great video, but I can EASILY see why people would be somewhat upset about the quote at the end. Personally, I could easily see it as a kind-of "in your face" comment for everyone that is mad about losing the option.

Yes. For Georgia Southern "option" translated into 470 yards and 38 points per game last year. I can't see acting as though moving away from an offense that produced like that last year is something to be excited about. Never mind what it accomplished for them over the entire history of the program.

"Gee, we gave up 50 points and 594 yards in losing in the first round of the playoffs last year. So let's radically change the offense that got 35 points and 499 yards. Oh yeah, it's OBVIOUS that the option offense was the problem."

Brilliant.

MACHIAVELLI
August 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Good spot for GaSou

soweagle
August 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I don't like the change but if Van Gorder does not know how to coach the option then he needs to leave it alone. As far as the video, I thought it was funny. It is just a commercial. It has people talking about it so mission accomplished.

Laserlips
August 19th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Yes. For Georgia Southern "option" translated into 470 yards and 38 points per game last year. I can't see acting as though moving away from an offense that produced like that last year is something to be excited about. Never mind what it accomplished for them over the entire history of the program.

"Gee, we gave up 50 points and 594 yards in losing in the first round of the playoffs last year. So let's radically change the offense that got 35 points and 499 yards. Oh yeah, it's OBVIOUS that the option offense was the problem."

Brilliant.

JohnStOnge:

JMO but I think most GSU fans might agree with my assessment about the changes BVG has made to our football program.

My opinion is indeed that the GSU triple offense was clicking along just fine with the exception that we had basically no passing attack. Consequently our opponents would "load" the line and ignore any potential passing.... Or, our offense was good, but predictable. It was good enough to win in most cases, but against a real good opponent the flaws were terminal.

Our defense was terrible.
Our Coaches playcalling in critical times was terrible.
Our players were not as well conditioned as they should have been, and player personal discipline was problem..

The triple option portion of the GSU game was basically doing just fine.

I think the housecleaning of Head coach Sewak the entire Coaching Staff was necessary. I'm not saying Coach Sewak was not a good "person", as apparently he was considered a "buddy" to the players. Trouble is, being a "buddy" or "good guy" isn't always a good thing.. It wasn't at GSU.

It was my hope that a new coach would come into Statesboro, put discipline back into the GSU football program, revamp the defense, figure out a way to get a reasonable passing threat into the offensive scheme and we would be good to go. I think the great majority of GSU fans such as myself never thought the 3/0 would be scrapped, as that would be "throwing out the baby with the dishwater" when it was obvious that the 3/0 wasn't the problem in the first place.

BVG was hired and his vision of the future of the GSU Eagle football program was very different from that of the majority of the fans. BUT, he was hired, he IS the Coach, his coaching reputation and future earning potential is tied directly to the success, or decline of the GSU football program.

From what I hear about the changes he has made, or is making:

Team discipline and player conditioning have improved, dramatically. The players apparently respect BVG big time, altho I don't think any of them consider him a "buddy", or "pal".

Altho in the past GSU had the rep not wanting 1A transfers a large portion of that thinking was simply because only a small percentage of 1A transfer athletes had interest in a football program which ran the triple option exclusively, such as GSU. We were not getting quality "transfer" players and now that has changed. We have been fortunate to have had a goodly number this season and the facts are they wouldn't have given GSU a look if we still were 3/0 only.

We were in the past getting the "best of the best" in players best suited for the 3/0 offensive scheme, but we were not even "on the radar" of the majority of athletes because of our choice w/the 3/0.

Regardless of how successful GSU has been in the past with the 3/0 it is gone. The 3/0 has "left the building" so to speak. As a GSU fan our choices are now to piss and moan about the "good old days" of 3/0 glory, or get on the BVG bandwagon and support BVG and his vision 100%. I am on the bandwagon, and if you will monitor the TSC website you will find more and more GSU fans are doing the same.

I think most of us are simply GSU fans. We love GSU football, and we think (and hope) that the change in philosophy brought to the table by BVG will improve our football program and if that happens all will be well in the world of the GSU football fan.

If BVG is successful he will be the toast of the boro'.. If he is not successful pretty quickly then he will be posting a "for sale" sign in his yard. We at GSU are fickle, demanding fans. We want success, period. I personally think all of the changes are indeed stepping stones to a new era of successful football at GSU, and I don't envision a "for sale" sign in our new head coaches yard for several years. After he has brought success back into Paulson there is no doubt in my mind that some other football program "up the ladder" will hire him away from us, and more power to him.

BVG has a reputation as a "take no prisoners" coach. He has a reputation for expecting and demanding the absolute best in his players, and I think even after dumping our beloved triple option offense he has a very good chance of becoming another "Erk", or "PJ" in the minds of the GSU faithful.

Do I expect the wholesale changes to put another Championship flag on the on the flagpole in Paulson Stadium this season.. Nope. But it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have a pretty good season, and the 7th flag could well be possible in a couple of years. I know one thing for sure, we have a better chance of getting that flag under BVG, and ALL his changes to the program, than we would have had otherwise.

Just one old farts opinion, sorry it's such a long post.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

McNeese75
August 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I loved watching the Eagle option (took balls to put the last comment in the ad) :nod:

The new coach better hope he produces a very productive offense to go with an improved defense or there will be some really big rumblings in the Boro :eek:

JohnStOnge
August 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I don't like the change but if Van Gorder does not know how to coach the option then he needs to leave it alone.

The head coach doesn't need to know how to run the option. He just needs an offensive staff that does. Besides, if there was conern about that, they could've hired someone who is comfortable with it.

JohnStOnge
August 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I loved watching the Eagle option (took balls to put the last comment in the ad) :nod:

The new coach better hope he produces a very productive offense to go with an improved defense or there will be some really big rumblings in the Boro :eek:

I think it's be fair to give the change two years or so for transition. But if I had to bet I'd bet that three years from now Georgia Southern fans are going to be complaining about the adminitration moving away from something that really worked for the program for no good reason.

parr90
August 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Good spot for GaSou

Its GSU to you son!

GSUhooligan
August 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM
What in the hell happened to my post? Did I offend Mr. C by not predicting that HIS Mountaineers would win the NC in '07 ro '08? Or was it because I pissed off Ralph by mentioning that "other" division.