PDA

View Full Version : Trying to win is only half the problem at Georgia State

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2012, 08:58 AM
http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/12/03/trying-to-win-is-only-half-the-problem-at-georgia-state/

Georgia State held a news conference Monday.

Or maybe it was more like a pep rally.

There was pre-recorded, whip-up-the-crowd music blaring through arena speakers. There were cheerleaders and a mascot named Pounce and a pep band in the bleachers and maybe 100 folks, many in the employ of the university, who stood up and applauded as if on cue.

Just as well. Because the job facing Trent Miles as Georgia State’s second football coach isn’t merely to win games, it’s to make sure more than just friends and family of the running back and the long-snapper are aware that a game is even being played.

Let's just say it's worth a read.

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
"He wanted this job so badly after Bill Curry’s retirement that he sent Levick a bound 42-page plan on how he would fix every aspect of the program. He knows what he’s getting into."

Interesting.

Baldy
December 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
"He wanted this job so badly after Bill Curry’s retirement that he sent Levick a bound 42-page plan on how he would fix every aspect of the program. He knows what he’s getting into."

Interesting.
Got to love the guy's drive and determination, but what its going to take to fix the dumpster fire at State is much more in depth than a little 42 page plan. xeyebrowx

AppIAA
December 6th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Where are all the Georgia State posters that said they would be fighting for a championship in 3 years?

SpeedkingATL
December 6th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Actually a pretty good article by one of Atlanta's best sportswriters. I admire Miles for wanting the job....it can't be a worst situation than the one he inherited at ISU and IF he can recruit, there is enough talent in the immediate ATL area to turn things around pretty quickly. He's got to get the GaSt alumni on board and get them interested in Panther Football rather than them just following the Ga Dawgs which totally rule this area. Tough but not impossible task.

bullitt_60
December 6th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Where are all the Georgia State posters that said they would be fighting for a championship in 3 years?

They're busy bickering about how they are too good for the Sun Belt. And no, I am not kidding.

paward
December 6th, 2012, 10:15 AM
There is plenty potential if Ga State start winning. UGA and Ga Tech will have their following. If State begin to win a few games and find a real home stadium, they will have some local support. Problem is we have two miles away are two programs that have not be competitive lately (Morehouse & Clark Atlanta University). Like the FBS schools they too have their own following.

IMHO I feel GA St will become complete within five years. I just think they have their site and expectations too high.

ccd494
December 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Seeing as this is the fan base that wanted to kick Maine and UNH out of the CAA before Georgia State had even played a conference game, the rest of the Sun Belt shouldn't be surprised that Georgia State fans are feeling big in their britches.

"Oh, you beat Arkansas, Louisana-Monroe? Well WE BEAT RHODE ISLAND! Get out of our conference!"

I hope that entire school is shut down due to a boll weevil infestation.

xcoach2
December 6th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Not sure what Miles finalized with contract-wise but GSU was throwing around in excess of $500k for the position.

eaglewraith
December 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Not sure what Miles finalized with contract-wise but GSU was throwing around in excess of $500k for the position.

Base 450k with incentives

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/12/04/details-of-the-contract-between-trent-miles-and-georgia-state/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_state_sports

boogereagle
December 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Seeing as this is the fan base that wanted to kick Maine and UNH out of the CAA before Georgia State had even played a conference game, the rest of the Sun Belt shouldn't be surprised that Georgia State fans are feeling big in their britches.

"Oh, you beat Arkansas, Louisana-Monroe? Well WE BEAT RHODE ISLAND! Get out of our conference!"

I don't think boll weevils will come within 100 miles of Atlanta, but I get your drift.

blueballs
December 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Georgia State fans came on this and other forums all spitting piss and vinegar about how they would dominate FCS and then secure their rightful place among the up and comers in FBS............. we're still waiting.

Again.... for the 10 millionth time, this puts the "Georgia Southern Miracle" that Erk Russell authored in perspective. It will never be duplicated, no matter how much fans of upstart teams want it to be.

ccd494
December 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I don't think boll weevils will come within 100 miles of Atlanta, but I get your drift.

That's what would make them so unprepared to deal with it.

boogereagle
December 6th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Georgia State fans came on this and other forums all spitting piss and vinegar about how they would dominate FCS and then secure their rightful place among the up and comers in FBS............. we're still waiting.

Again.... for the 10 millionth time, this puts the "Georgia Southern Miracle" that Erk Russell authored in perspective. It will never be duplicated, no matter how much fans of upstart teams want it to be.

Agree, but it seems ODU is making a case for itself as a hell of an upstart. Didn't the school restart ootball in 2009 after a long haitus?

WeAreNorthDakota
December 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM

Interesting.

Binders full of wins?

bullitt_60
December 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Agree, but it seems ODU is making a case for itself as a hell of an upstart. Didn't the school restart ootball in 2009 after a long haitus?

Yes and you are right that is an impressive program and fan base.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Tuscon
December 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
A pretty honest article about the problems Miles will have to deal with. He seems like a guy that can put a winning product on the field in fairly short time. The 100 folks that were mostly employees was a bit disingenuous. There were plenty of alumni and students there along with the players, pep band, and employees. I thought it was a pretty good little turnout.

They're busy bickering about how they are too good for the Sun Belt. And no, I am not kidding.

More bickering that the SBC is failing massively before we've even stepped foot in it. I'm only saying get us the heck out because I don't see it in existence 5 years down the line, maybe sooner.

Who wanted to kick Maine and UNH out of the CAA? I'm not familiar with that line of thinking...

eaglewraith
December 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
More bickering that the SBC is failing massively before we've even stepped foot in it. I'm only saying get us the heck out because I don't see it in existence 5 years down the line, maybe sooner.

The problem is many DO think that you're too good for the SBC. A "big market team in a small market conference" if you will. I still don't understand why there's so much focus on your market instead of focusing on building the program.

In the grand scheme of things, the SEC is a small market conference. Granted, those teams have had a long time to get to where they are, but they also built a strong program along the way. Focus on building your program. You can only go so far on your potential....you have to make use of some of it at some point. The focus should be on dominating the SBC in all aspects, make yourself the most attractive member that no one could refuse....not harping on being in Atlanta all the time.

Tuscon
December 6th, 2012, 01:58 PM
The problem is many DO think that you're too good for the SBC. A "big market team in a small market conference" if you will. I still don't understand why there's so much focus on your market instead of focusing on building the program.

In the grand scheme of things, the SEC is a small market conference. Granted, those teams have had a long time to get to where they are, but they also built a strong program along the way. Focus on building your program. You can only go so far on your potential....you have to make use of some of it at some point. The focus should be on dominating the SBC in all aspects, make yourself the most attractive member that no one could refuse....not harping on being in Atlanta all the time.

There is plenty of talk about program building as well. You guys over here just don't cite it. We might talk about our market in conference realignment because that's what we have going for us right now and it's hard to argue that it's not what's driving the bus for all these conferences.

It's silly to compare any of the group of 5 conferences to the SEC. They were the only show in town for much of their existence and it would be argued that an SEC programs' market extends much further than say Athens. UGA covers the entire state.

So we are trying to make ourselves more attractive to other conferences. That's why we hired a proven program-builder like Trent Miles. We hope he can turn around the problems on the field in short time.

DJnva
December 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Got to love the guy's drive and determination, but what its going to take to fix the dumpster fire at State is much more in depth than a little 42 page plan. xeyebrowx

Not if he used a really small font.

bullitt_60
December 6th, 2012, 02:28 PM
That's what would make them so unprepared to deal with it.

I'm quite fond of Atlanta, so if this theoretical infestation could be limited to their campus, that would be great.

ccd494
December 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Who wanted to kick Maine and UNH out of the CAA? I'm not familiar with that line of thinking...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?87712-Hypothetical-GSU-and-App-to-the-CAA&p=1647615&viewfull=1#post1647615

Tuscon
December 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?87712-Hypothetical-GSU-and-App-to-the-CAA&p=1647615&viewfull=1#post1647615

That really just looks like one guy agreeing with a James Madison fan....

DJnva
December 6th, 2012, 06:43 PM
That really just looks like one guy agreeing with a James Madison fan....

WTF? There's mistake number 1.

woffordgrad94
December 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah the guy obviously loves a challenge. But he obviously has balls and fire. It will take a special guy for that job. I know I couldn't put up with all that losing for very long. Kudos to those who do!

Tuscon
December 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM
WTF? There's mistake number 1.

Not too sure I understand. One single Georgia State fan agreed with something a James Madison fan said on another site. No other Georgia State fans said a word about anything in that thread. Where's my mistake?

DJnva
December 6th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Not too sure I understand. One single Georgia State fan agreed with something a James Madison fan said on another site. No other Georgia State fans said a word about anything in that thread. Where's my mistake?

Agreeing with a JMU fan. It was a joke.

gasoutherneagle
December 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM
You guys over here just don't cite it.

...and yet, every time Georgia Southern is brought up as an option to move into the SBC, you all scramble for negativity as if WE are below YOU in prowess. You've got no business in FCS yet... much less the SBC! And, you've ALREADY proven that "media market" are mere words.

Tuscon
December 6th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Agreeing with a JMU fan. It was a joke.

Sorry. A bit sensitive over here with all the Georgia State bashing. lol

...and yet, every time Georgia Southern is brought up as an option to move into the SBC, you all scramble for negativity as if WE are below YOU in prowess. You've got no business in FCS yet... much less the SBC! And, you've ALREADY proven that "media market" are mere words.

Not all of us do that. Some of us(me included) think that GS in the SBC only helps us. Our basketball games with you traditionally draw more fans than most. It'll be easy to get a rivalry going. Nice and drivable game(and a weekend in Savannah to boot). I think we've proven that "media market" is not mere words. We don't offer too much else at this point, but it got us moved up before GS got half a sniff. You guys are only getting talked about right now because you fit the footprint and they are scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as those who are ready financially.