PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Feel...?

TypicalTribe
December 5th, 2012, 08:39 AM
If the school you root for announced it was moving to FBS?

1. Thrilled. I don't care what conference we're going to, just happy to leave all these losers behind.
2. Cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to moving up but will miss FCS and the playoffs etc.
3. Torn. Don't really want to go but understand the move.
4. Disappointed. Think it's a mistake. Worried program not ready for next level.
5. Furious. Cancel the season tickets. I want no part of the Beef O'Brady's Bowl.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM
If the school you root for announced it was moving to FBS?

1. Thrilled. I don't care what conference we're going to, just happy to leave all these losers behind.
2. Cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to moving up but will miss FCS and the playoffs etc.
3. Torn. Don't really want to go but understand the move.
4. Disappointed. Think it's a mistake. Worried program not ready for next level.
5. Furious. Cancel the season tickets. I want no part of the Beef O'Brady's Bowl.

The adjective isn't quite right but damn right I want no part of the god damn Beef O'Brady's bowl!

gsu2583
December 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM
We've been in I-AA/FCS for more than 30 years now. Accomplished a lot I think. I would miss the playoffs, but after that amount of time, if there is room to grow, I say go for it. It would be good for the University as well.

ITmonarch10
December 5th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I'm torn but slightly in favor of an FBS move for ODU

The reason I support ODU's move to FBS is because

Dedicated fanbase - We still have 5k people on the Season Ticket waiting list
Dedicated Metro - Hampton Roads actually care about ODU versus GaState
Lack of Pro or FBS competition - The closest FBS school is ECU and its about 3 hours away.
Fertile Recruiting grounds- Virginia has an excess of football talent because we only have 2 FBS schools
Publicity - I think having a FBS football team even in a low tier bowl game does more for its image than a FCS championship. I care about the championship more ,but nobody outside of dedicate fans really care.
More televised Games

I am against it because

FBS football outside the Power 5 conference seems hollow. Even if we go to a BCS bowl, it will probably be a once in a lifetime event versus going to the playoffs.
Lack of true Rivals. ECU is leaving the Conference USA & I'd honestly wish ODU/Marshall would consider the Sun Belt if App St and Ga Southern get an invite.
Cost is probably going to surpass any monetary gain.
I will miss hating JMU and Delaware.
Majority of Games will not be in driving distance

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I'm torn but slightly in favor of an FBS move for ODU

I am against it because

FBS football outside the Power 5 conference seems hollow. Even if we go to a BCS bowl, it will probably be a once in a lifetime event versus going to the playoffs.
Lack of true Rivals. ECU is leaving the Conference USA & I'd honestly wish ODU/Marshall would consider the Sun Belt if App St and Ga Southern get an invite.
Cost is probably going to surpass any monetary gain.
I will miss hating JMU and Delaware.
Majority of Games will not be in driving distance

These, with the exception of JMU and Delaware are exactly my feelings on the subject. As it stands NDSU has a **** ton of money and has been growing sufficiently. They have a $50 million stadium that they cannot get one extra person in. FCS is just fine.

BEAR
December 5th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Disappointed.

We have a 9000 seat stadium that doesn't have full seats.
We have a small FCS budget.
We'd end up in the Scumbelch. Woop-de-de.
Too soon for us to do anything in many ways.

Now if we were GASO or APP or anyone who has established themselves and have the above in bunches, then I'd understand. But there's nothing in it for a new FCS school.

SpeedkingATL
December 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I would miss the playoffs and games against many of the SoCon rivals but feel moving up is probably the right thing to do at this time.

asumike83
December 5th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Cautiously optimistic. I will miss the playoffs and the traditional rivalries but I think it is right for Appalachian.

CopperCat
December 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Disgusted.

Twentysix
December 5th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I think we could do pretty well, we have alot of geographic space from other FBS schools which should help with recruiting. But, I like FCS, I just don't see us staying in the FCS for the next 50 years. It's also something I can't control, at some point you have got to just go with the flow, if the university is going to do it one might as well try and enjoy it. Cautiously Optimistic I suppose.

DFW HOYA
December 5th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Surprised.

Sader87
December 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I would check: been there, done that.

OldKat95
December 5th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Furious. We play at the highest level of college football with a play-off system. There is something to play for every year. Evary team controls its own destiny, and has a shot every year. I have no desire to compete against 8-12 teams for a shot at the Old Spice Deodarant Bowl. With FCS, we are a part of a bigger picture.

boonegoon
December 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I said cautiously optimistic. I was over at my Tarhole friend's house the other day and we were talking about the possibility of the App move and from his lofty perch he said it was a bad idea because we'd never compete with UNC, NCSU for the top athletes. Needless to say, that rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps I have a rosier outlook than I should but I like the idea of being able to defy this type of smug prick. Who says we can't? Who says we won't? I would love for App to be the football powerhouse in NC. Do I think that's likely? No. ECU could arguably be said to be the best football program over the last 20 years (That's not saying much) and I think that's reasonably attainable.

Walkon79
December 5th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't want to go unless the upper echelon of the Big Sky all went together and we could keep some traditional rivalries. (I guess that's UM, MSU, EWU) I hate what's happening to FBS right now.

WataugaDave
December 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM
A mix between 2 (cautiously optimistic) and 4 (disappointed). So I picked 3, torn.

I think it's awesome that we've been successful enough in the FCS to make the move, but that's just it...we've been successful in the FCS. The most prestigious conference that's being tossed around for a possible move is the Sun Belt. Even if we do end up being successful in the Sun Belt, it just won't be the same as being one of the top FCS schools in the nation.

I also worry about readiness. Partially, with infrastructure. Kidd Brewer, the Appalachian State campus, and the town of Boone is barely able to sustain the influx of fans as is. If an FBS move means bigger crowds (especially because of stronger fanbases from visiting schools), we're going to have a big problem. Also, no other sport other than possibly baseball is even close to ready to play in a better conference than the SoCon.

And I partially agree with number 5. Winning the Pepto-Bismol/Planters Peanuts Bowl doesn't have the same ring as making a run for FCS National Champion.

ODU Oldtimer
December 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I am in favor of a move up to FBS for ODU because of the potential development and importance it will have on the University overall..........

Because of our move up to FBS we are looking to expand our stadium. That has opened a dialog with fortune 500 companies in our area that may create a courtship with companies such as Norfolk Southern, Dollar Tree, Smithfield Foods and others that may open the door for many future endeavors

I could even invasion a NS Rail or transportation center from the terminal hub in the back of the University at Lamberts Point. This would help solve parking and make our future Stadium parking expansion more feasible and commuter possibilities for students around the campus... With a little forward thinking ODU could incorporate the lave tracks on campus and future light rail.

LOOKING INTO a crystal ball with forward thinking, I see a stadium expansion with Restaurants, Museums, i.e... (Walter P Chrysler's incredible collection of art with Historic exhibits. A second Fortune 500 Company, Dollar Tree, founder recently gave a large donation to the University to assist in the Chrysler Museum's expansion and move to a new building on campus, creating one of the finest and most extensive Art collections on a College campus in the country).

The Stadium could be a hub of retail gift centers for marketing ODU and NS merchandise, along with concession and entertainment to encourage fans early entry to the stadium before gameday. All would bring incredible exposure to showcase the importance the University is to the community and vice versa. The Norfolk/VA Beach and surrounding area is starved to see growth for ODU.

Historic Forman Field and the interlocking History of rail transportation connecting the contribution to showcase Norfolk Sothern’s development and continued significance to the Hampton Roads transportation development, as well as its impact it has had in the United States.

This could become an ODU visionary center for future and past collaboration to enhance academics, art, music and potentially a collaborative effort to get EVMS into the fray. Collectively all would enhance the University brand, and would bring huge increases in ODU's endowments.

A merger between ODU and EVMS would blossom and create an explosion of support from the Hampton Roads Community because of national exposure from football. This would propel ODU/EVMS into a World renowned Center for Medicine, and enhance the arts, research and cultural collaborations that would be unprecedented.

The amazing thing is...... Football could become the catalyst for a firestorm of collaboration and development, becoming an example of all that could be good with College Sports.

Yes...... just a few reasons I believe it is a huge benefit for us to move to FBS football...

Aim High Monarchs

dudeitsaid
December 5th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't want to go unless the upper echelon of the Big Sky all went together and we could keep some traditional rivalries. (I guess that's UM, MSU, EWU) I hate what's happening to FBS right now.

I would be furious. WSU is Eastern Washington's football team, and I doubt that us moving to FBS supplants that in the minds of the general populous, even with how bad WSU has played over the years. Additionally, with us being about an hour away from WSU, that is where the lions share of the fans would continue to go, and our attendance numbers may go up, but not enough to make it worth the climb, especially considering the significant facility improvement costs that would have to take place. Maybe the Gateway project that they are already moving forward on would be enough short term. But I doubt it. I see EWU maybe getting to 12k attendance if that were to happen.

I do see it as more of a reality of the Montana schools, as they have no close state FBS competition. They would maintain their rivalry. They already have better attendance numbers than several FBS schools, and maybe that would grow some with the move. But, why move up to be a small to medium sized fish in a very big pond vs being a normally dominant force in a small pond? If the Montana schools spend the next 10 years with losing seasons mixed with some little known bowl game appearances, do they maintain the same fervant fan support as they now enjoy?

bluehenbillk
December 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'd be more enthusiastic than the JMU drumline, sign me up!!!

ngineer
December 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Furious. We play at the highest level of college football with a play-off system. There is something to play for every year. Evary team controls its own destiny, and has a shot every year. I have no desire to compete against 8-12 teams for a shot at the Old Spice Deodarant Bowl. With FCS, we are a part of a bigger picture.

+100

DJnva
December 5th, 2012, 01:06 PM
A merger between ODU and EVMS would blossom and create an explosion of support from the Hampton Roads Community because of national exposure from football. This would propel ODU/EVMS into a World renowned Center for Medicine, and enhance the arts, research and cultural collaborations that would be unprecedented.

Of course it appears EVMS is partnering with William & Mary...

HailSzczur
December 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Surprised.

Understatement of the Year

pike51
December 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I'd be thrilled, but not to leave FCS and playoffs. 2 things: 1. I would like the opportunity to see GSU play at the next level and 2. I don't care what, where, or who we play, I'm thrilled to watch and support GSU no matter what. Even if it's NAIA.

Nova09
December 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I said cautiously optimistic. Cautious, because our administration hasn't shown any commitment to doing what is necessary to be successful at that level. Optimistic, because if announcing that we are moving to FBS is the first sign of an increased commitment we would already be above BC and could conceivably dream of having the national identity ND does.

frozennorth
December 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
UND will never be a school that could pull off fbs. The football fan base is small and aging, facilities are too small. Community is too small and not very interested in sports beyond hockey.

NDSU would probably be able to pull it off in a few years, but the indoor sports facilities need to be upgraded first. The fargodome is justbarely big enough to survive in football.

That said I think the level of competition is currently high, and I like the semi-introverted dynamic, with an overall fanbase thats just small enough for places like AGS to exist, and without the multitude of random arbitrary fans that you get in the upper divisions and pro sports.

SpeedkingATL
December 5th, 2012, 01:36 PM
A mix between 2 (cautiously optimistic) and 4 (disappointed). So I picked 3, torn.

I think it's awesome that we've been successful enough in the FCS to make the move, but that's just it...we've been successful in the FCS. The most prestigious conference that's being tossed around for a possible move is the Sun Belt. Even if we do end up being successful in the Sun Belt, it just won't be the same as being one of the top FCS schools in the nation.

I also worry about readiness. Partially, with infrastructure. Kidd Brewer, the Appalachian State campus, and the town of Boone is barely able to sustain the influx of fans as is. If an FBS move means bigger crowds (especially because of stronger fanbases from visiting schools), we're going to have a big problem. Also, no other sport other than possibly baseball is even close to ready to play in a better conference than the SoCon.

And I partially agree with number 5. Winning the Pepto-Bismol/Planters Peanuts Bowl doesn't have the same ring as making a run for FCS National Champion.

I would think that in addition to baseball, both men's and women's track and field/cross country, wrestling, both soccer programs, and women's basketball would be competitive. I would hope the FBS conference label would help with recruitment in all sports. On the flip side, App could possibly have to drop some programs such as wrestling to meet financial and Title 9 requirements. Certainly a mixed bag from that prospective.

asucrutch23
December 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I would think that in addition to baseball, both men's and women's track and field/cross country, wrestling, both soccer programs, and women's basketball would be competitive. I would hope the FBS conference label would help with recruitment in all sports. On the flip side, App could possibly have to drop some programs such as wrestling to meet financial and Title 9 requirements. Certainly a mixed bag from that prospective.

Would be a shame to drop wrestling the way they have been performing, but it is indeed often a casualty of moving up in football.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Torn, I'd agree that with the seismic shifts in the college football landscape over the last few years and continuing on in the very immediate future it's probably good to get out ahead of the curve. However, I hate almost everything about the bowl system and would be disgusted to be subjected to that instead of a playoff every December/January.

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Here's another question for this thread. Of the current FCS schools who do you think should make the move up and why?

lionsrking2
December 5th, 2012, 03:03 PM
It would depend on the reasons given, but on the whole, I would be disappointed. For the foreseeable future, we're at the appropriate level based on our size, location, budget and facilities, and still have a ways to go to get where we want to go at the FCS level. The only scenario where I could envision making a move and supporting it would be if the entire SLC moved up together to preserve rivalries and scheduling. I know there was informal talk of that back in 2008, before the economy bottomed.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Here's another question for this thread. Of the current FCS schools who do you think should make the move up and why?

GSU and ASU so they'll finally shut up about it.

asumike83
December 5th, 2012, 03:22 PM

This thread and the one from yesterday were each started by a non-ASU/GSU poster and in both cases, it took you less than 3 minutes to post a snarky response. Yet, you can't shut up about how everyone needs to shut up about it. Irony.

Shutting up about it yourself would be a step in the right direction, no?

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Well actually if things continue as they are I'd say that some of the "Big Fish" ie. Montana, NDSU just for starters better be prepared. There are several others that would be on that list as well. As has been alluded to by many I don't want to see NDSU get left behind again. We need to be with peer Institutions as opposed to where we were not that many years ago. NDSU should have been at the FCS or as it was then the IAA level many years ago. I don't want to leave a playoff format for some crappy bowl game but I also want to see NDSU playing against it's peers. If the current trends are to continue we will not be doing that.

Grizo406
December 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM
This thread and the one from yesterday were each started by a non-ASU/GSU poster and in both cases, it took you less than 3 minutes to post a snarky response. Yet, you can't shut up about how everyone needs to shut up about it. Irony.

xlolxxlolxxthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Oh please, this has been the topic of conversation for months upon months.

asumike83
December 5th, 2012, 03:45 PM

I must have missed the part where the conversation stopped being optional.

A move from the FCS to FBS would have an enormous impact on the future of my university's athletics. It is a topic that seems to change constantly and merits discussion. Losing prominent programs would also have an impact on the FCS, making it an appropriate conversation for the FCS Discussion board. If it does not interest you, move on to the next thread. Pretty simple concept and requires less effort than lecturing other school's fans about what they should talk about.

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2012, 03:48 PM
For the record I'm very sorry to see App and GSU make this move but I certainly understand why they are doing it.

ST_Lawson
December 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM
my response would be -> xcrazyx

At this point, we're having enough trouble scraping together the $ for a new scoreboard. Financially there's no way we could handle it at this point, and it's not like we can expect any help from the state. They're already way behind on funding most of the state universities. Besides, we're less than 3 hours away from the University of Illinois, University of Iowa, University of Missouri (Mizzou), Northern Illinois University and Illinois State University. That's a lot of competition for fans and $ in an area of relatively low population density.

If we somehow were able to come up with the money and make the necessary facility improvements, then that would bring me up to the level of "torn". As of now though...that's crazy talk.

Ivytalk
December 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Under these standards, I'd say disappointed.

Just one of many disappointments I have about Harvard.

End of rant.

OldKat95
December 5th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Under these standards, I'd say disappointed.

Just one of many disappointments I have about Harvard.

End of rant.

I just wish there was a way to convince the Ivy League presidents to participate in the play-offs. These schools have a lot to add. I would also like for the HBCU schools to join in.

semobison
December 5th, 2012, 05:22 PM

You are such a homer that even talk about other schools moving up, (which they may be) bother's you? Ive been reading your post for days now. You do a poor job representing most of Bison-nation!

GoAgs72
December 5th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Torn. UC Davis is large enough (32,000 students) and prestigious enough to be FBS but with the lack of a track record at the FCS level, lack of financial support, inadequate fan support and insufficent facilities, I think it would be a big mistake. I was torn about leaving D2 - in the playoffs every year and many 9-2 or 10-1 seasons including a lot of FCS victories.

NDSU09
December 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM
These, with the exception of JMU and Delaware are exactly my feelings on the subject. As it stands NDSU has a **** ton of money and has been growing sufficiently. They have a $50 million stadium that they cannot get one extra person in. FCS is just fine.

My thoughts also. It would be depressing not competing for a national title. I was for the move to FCS 100%, and now i love it right where we are

Bisonoline
December 5th, 2012, 05:51 PM
It would all depend on what conference we would play in. If we ended up playing the same teams we do now in conference and the playoffs whats the point? Its not like Ndsu or Montana etc etc etc are going to be playing the Bigs on a regular basis.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2012, 06:22 PM
You are such a homer that even talk about other schools moving up, (which they may be) bother's you? Ive been reading your post for days now. You do a poor job representing most of Bison-nation!

My 3500 rep points just came out of nowhere I suppose.

xcoach2
December 5th, 2012, 06:32 PM
My 3500 rep points just came out of nowhere I suppose.

lol, rep points. That's mom's basement type ****. You and your circle jerk buddies always giving each other handies...

ITmonarch10
December 5th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Torn. UC Davis is large enough (32,000 students) and prestigious enough to be FBS but with the lack of a track record at the FCS level, lack of financial support, inadequate fan support and insufficent facilities, I think it would be a big mistake. I was torn about leaving D2 - in the playoffs every year and many 9-2 or 10-1 seasons including a lot of FCS victories.

I think you guys just have to much competition at the pro and FBS level. If you were in a different state I think you guys could make it.

Twentysix
December 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
lol, rep points. That's mom's basement type ****. You and your circle jerk buddies always giving each other handies...

Says the circle jerk ringleader.

AmsterBison
December 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Well, I don't know if staying D2 was much of an option for the Aggies. I've been surprised by UC Davis's lack of success... I honestly thought you'd roll in the FCS. In D2, UC Davis only funded about 20 schollies, right? Now aren't the Aggies funding the full 63?

You've got a lot of room to grow as a football program.

xcoach2
December 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Says the circle jerk ringleader.

original...

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM

'Big man syndrome' with this guy.....

You are a troll.

dgtw
December 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I said cautiously optimistic, but really halfway between that and thrilled. We'd be in the Sun Belt, but it would revive the Troy rivalry and we'd be out of the OVC. We'd still be stuck with two non football schools, but at least everyone plays a full schedule and no Pioneer League members.

ElCid
December 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM
It would never work for the Citadel.

First off, the Alumni base is too small. Second, attracting the talent necessary to be competitive would be too difficult: one only has to look at AF, Army and Navy to see that. They have a tough time and they have a huge advantage over The Citadel as federal schools. Living a Spartan and regimented life is hard enough without the extra sacrifices of playing ball. When I was in school back in the 80s I always thought "why couldn't we move up" (this was right after the split), but that was all emotion and I gave no thought to the practical aspects.

The only way I would be enthusiastic would be if the entire SOCON moved together and that would never happen. The resources simply are not there for most SOCON schools: Elon (5,200 undergrads); Wofford (1,500) (pretty impressive); Samford (2,900); Furman (2,700); The Citadel (2,400 Cadets). But the 4 big public schools have more students and maybe they could, theoretically, make the move: Chattanooga (11,000); Western Carolina (10,000); Georgia Southern (18,000); App St (15,600).

Marshall left in the 90s and they have 10,000; as a comparison, Wake Forest has only 4,800 (I think they may be the smallest FBS school); Clemson has 15,800; South Carolina has 31,000; Notre Dame has 11,700; Old Dominion has 18,500. Again these are just the undergrads. Undergrad numbers by themselves are not the only means of determining support, but ultimately numbers do count. Many small school alum have deep pockets but sheer numbers add up.

What do all these numbers translate into: money of course. I have heard many folks from Georgia Southern and especially App St. say that moving up would bring in more money and improve their athletics. That may or may not be true depending on results, but it can become a vicious circle. You have to spend money to make money, even in college sports. Where does it end? You move up and make more money from media rights and the Bowls. You spend it on facilities, so you can be better in order make more money, so you can get even better facilities. I may have outdated notions, but if the only reason you are moving up is this, I believe it is probably not the correct decision. At some point it is too easy for some schools to sell their souls. There will be casualties along the way. One only has to look at any number of BCS teams to see this.

However, there are some schools for which it may be right and natural to move up. App State has had a very successful program. And they have a huge following so it may be natural to make the move. They overfill their stadium at home. Also, they literally bring thousands to Charleston when they play us. As long as any school keeps it in perspective and the STUDENT athletes and the program do not simply become a commodity, it may be correct to move. I think App State's location is a slight draw back but I know people who travel to Clemson games from Charleston and back (4 hours each way) on game day, so maybe not.

As I have said before, I actually hope neither App St nor Georgia Southern leaves. They are great for the SOCON. But if they do leave, I wish them luck. The SOCON has graduated many other schools that are premier programs now. Pretty much the entire SEC and ACC were once part of the SOCON at various times, as well as West Virginia, East Carolina, and Marshall more recently.

As a side note, the SOCON stadium size (as listed on Wikipedia) and average level of 2012 attendance in the per NCAA records as simply one measure of fan support.

App St - 21,650 - 23,358 (would rank at 89 of 120 in FBS)
Citadel - 21,000 - 13,574 (sigh) (would rank 114 of 120 in FBS)
Chatt - 20,668 - 9,521 (would rank 119 of 120 in FBS)
Ga So - 18,000 - 18,487 (would rank at 101 of 120 in FBS)
Furman - 16,000 - 9,009
W. Carolina - 13,742 - 9,420 (some faithful fans) (would still rank at 119 of 120 in FBS)
Wofford - 13,000 - 7,690
Elon - 11250 - 7,904
Samford - 6700 - 7565

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I'd be torn. The FBS might provide better TV options for fans like me who moved out of state which is good during the regular season and I'd probably make an effort to attend a bowl game every few years if NDSU made it to one. On the other hand, multiple playoff games are more exciting than waiting a month to be in one of the smaller bowls.

GoAgs72
December 6th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Well, I don't know if staying D2 was much of an option for the Aggies. I've been surprised by UC Davis's lack of success... I honestly thought you'd roll in the FCS. In D2, UC Davis only funded about 20 schollies, right? Now aren't the Aggies funding the full 63?

You've got a lot of room to grow as a football program.

For most of our successful playoff years in D2 we were non-scholarship followed by a period with some scholarships. I still don't think we're fully funded now. Some of our problems have been coaching (very good D2 coaches - not so good at FCS), and lack of recruiting outside of California. Every FBS school in the country picks over the best from California. D2 became untenable because there almost no one left in the West in D2 and we traveled all over the country for games. I think we have the players as shown by very close games with Montana State and Eastern Washington but the teams seem to lack the cohesiveness and team spirit of our D2 days. However, a new coach is to be announced week of December 17 - we can always hope.

Go Apps
December 6th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Cautiously optimistic. I will miss the playoffs and the traditional rivalries but I think it is right for Appalachian.

Furious - think the attendance at ASU would drop dramatically guessing 15k at a game as a high as ticket prices would soar that would no longer make it affordable for most - students would likely have to pay to attend as well - for me I would be done and drop my tickets, just a cost issue and I have no interest in becoming the next Marshall - the FCS is perfect for now and the playoffs is where it's at..

HensRock
December 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Furious.

kalm
December 6th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Well actually if things continue as they are I'd say that some of the "Big Fish" ie. Montana, NDSU just for starters better be prepared. There are several others that would be on that list as well. As has been alluded to by many I don't want to see NDSU get left behind again. We need to be with peer Institutions as opposed to where we were not that many years ago. NDSU should have been at the FCS or as it was then the IAA level many years ago. I don't want to leave a playoff format for some crappy bowl game but I also want to see NDSU playing against it's peers. If the current trends are to continue we will not be doing that.

There is only a small handful of your peers that have the potential to move up at this point and the vast majority will stay in this division. The only way that changes is a complete realignment as Ranger over on the Red Zone suggested:

Also, on the comments about FBS. I don't think FBS and FCS as we know it will exist much more than 5-10 years from now. The BCS-type schools will continue to distance themselves from the MAC, Sun Belts, and Conference USA's of the world. I expect that there will be some sort of re-structuring with the lower end FBS schools and the upper-level FCS Conferences. Fullerton and others have commented on this many times over. I believe that we need to position ourselves for this eventuality, or be left out when it happens. I would rather see up playing in a competitive conference that has some combination of the upper Big Sky teams and some WAC leftovers.

So a question for you big fish that want to see your teams move up:

Other than Boise State, is there another FBS program that has moved up in the last 20 years that you would trade your current situation for? Boise has been one of the fastest growing cities in the country over that time with an influx of tech companies, and new money. Plus they are a medium sized media market that sits in complete geographic isolation. Aside from winning games at the FCS level, what competitive advantages do you have that suggest you could even come close?

Bison56
December 6th, 2012, 09:11 AM
original...

As soon as SHSU is done so is this bit.

asumike83
December 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Furious - think the attendance at ASU would drop dramatically guessing 15k at a game as a high as ticket prices would soar that would no longer make it affordable for most - students would likely have to pay to attend as well - for me I would be done and drop my tickets, just a cost issue and I have no interest in becoming the next Marshall - the FCS is perfect for now and the playoffs is where it's at..

I respect your opinion but I think your attendance projection is way off. Prices have been trending upward for the past 5 years or so and it has had no negative impact on attendance. I think we run a much higher risk of seeing attendance fall if we stay in the SoCon and watch GSU leave to be replaced by Presbyterian.

Obviously, it is your money to spend as you please but I hope you reconsider and do not drop your support if we move because in all likelihood, it is just a matter of time.

darell1976
December 6th, 2012, 10:11 AM
If there was a playoff like every other division in football I would be all for moving to the FBS but until then stay put. Plus I wouldn't want to rush moving up, I wouldn't want UND to become the next Idaho and looking for a conference. Being in the west, conferences are rare for the FCS, its even more rare in the FBS. The only conferences close to UND is the Big 10 (yeah right), the MWC (would be a good move) or the WAC (which is about to get the plug pulled). So unless there is a new FBS conference with the Montana's, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI (basically a big FCS superconference) then UND's best move it to stay put.

rkwittem
December 6th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I'd much rather be a upper-tier FCS team than a lower-tier FBS team. Who would honestly rather be Idaho instead of Montana? Anyone? (just an example, folks)

darell1976
December 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I'd much rather be a upper-tier FCS team than a lower-tier FBS team. Who would honestly rather be Idaho instead of Montana? Anyone? (just an example, folks)

Exactly. I think Idaho would rather be Montana than Idaho.xlolx

Walkon79
December 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I think the whole college football thing needs to be shaken up, as was started on another thread. Let the BIGS depart the NCAA, and the rest of FBS and the upper tier of FCS should be playing for the Division 1 NC2A champinship in a 24 team playoff every year.

boogereagle
December 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Disappointed. I-AA has been awfully good to Georgia Southern and Keel and companyp have kicked it to the curb like its some kind of disease. Well, they can go IA. I don't have to.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I think the whole college football thing needs to be shaken up, as was started on another thread. Let the BIGS depart the NCAA, and the rest of FBS and the upper tier of FCS should be playing for the Division 1 NC2A champinship in a 24 team playoff every year.

I do not hate this idea. The two things I like the most about FCS is that NDSU can compete with the highest level schools and there is a legitimate champion at the end. FBS is just a system that rewards teams for barely being over .500 with a "championship" game. (Schools refer to the bowls as the "Sun Bowl Championship" or the "Orange Bowl Championship" which is stupid)

If the BCS breaks away and the rest of the FBS becomes a championship division, I wouldn't mind moving up.

MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA, and MWC teams cannot compete with the BCS, so moving up to that is pointless.

OldKat95
December 6th, 2012, 03:01 PM

Wow. I really like this. Get 6 Super Conferences in the FBS (SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, Big East), and get the rest of us in an NCAA sanctioned tournament. Walkon - iron out the details!

Go...gate
December 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I would check: been there, done that.

Same here. I remember the controversy when HC, Colgate, Lafayette and the Ivies downgraded.

Neighbor2
December 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM
. . . and Bucknell, Holy Cross, and Georgetown playing in the Orange Bowl.

(not that I was around then)

RabidRabbit
December 7th, 2012, 12:20 PM
The advantage of FBS would be a 12 game schedule, and a better pay-out to play the BCS schools of the Big 10 or Big 12, who the Jacks have scheduled as their FBS opponents for the rest of this decade.

The disadvantages are many. SDSU needs to build a new stadium first, with the 22-25K capacity that is currently conceptualized. SDSU needs to stay with their peer, flagship Dakota schools. These four schools really need to form a continuous I-29 backbone for a conference. Get UND on the bandwagon, and the Summit League is there, from the start of I-29 in KC, all the way to the Canadian border. Jacks should be with Northern Iowa, maybe Northern Colo, and public universities in the 10-20K size range. The MAC would be the only reasonable FBS conference to join, and SDSU would loose at lot playing those gawd offel Tues. Nite games. Only if there was a new, midwest based smaller FBS league would it make any benefit to moving across to FBS for the Jacks.

TheBisonator
December 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I have to say it again, and I admit I do not know how the hell it would be implemented, but we should probably consider some type of UEFA/English Premeirship promotion/relegation system.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I must have missed the part where the conversation stopped being optional.

A move from the FCS to FBS would have an enormous impact on the future of my university's athletics. It is a topic that seems to change constantly and merits discussion. Losing prominent programs would also have an impact on the FCS, making it an appropriate conversation for the FCS Discussion board. If it does not interest you, move on to the next thread. Pretty simple concept and requires less effort than lecturing other school's fans about what they should talk about.

xoutofrepx

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM
THRILLED

But I would miss the playoffs, certain rivalries and Anygivensaturday.com! I will probably stick around and pick us some FCS to pull for. Coastal? Nah

GreatAppSt
December 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I'd be more enthusiastic than the JMU drumline, sign me up!!!

xlolxxlolxxthumbsupx
xoutofrepx