PDA

View Full Version : Wagner College Stadium Turf Project Complete

aceinthehole
August 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM
http://wagnerathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080706aaf.html

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wagn/galleries/images/_l3w2212-lg.jpg
Photo of the stadium's new turf. In the background is the Verrazano Narrows Bridge between Staten Island and Brooklyn, the gateway to New York Harbor.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wagn/galleries/images/img_0063-lg.jpg
The reconstructed stadium grandstands were completed in 1997. The stadium seating capacity is 3,300 (including 400 seatbacks at midfield).

More about the stadium at: http://wagnerathletics.cstv.com/facilities/wagn-FBfield.html

GeauxColonels
August 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Looks good....nice view too!!!:thumbsup:

How was it financed?

Go...gate
August 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM
It is a great setting on a fall day. The new turf is a great addition. Good luck to Wagner this season!!! :hurray:

danefan
August 19th, 2006, 10:34 AM
too bad they didn't have that turf a few years ago when Gary Jones was playing for Albany. We always thought Wagner would purposely not cut the grass the week before.:)

Gary Jones was much slower running on 5 inch long grass.
:)

Didn't work Jones' senior year with a line like this:
16 rush for 212 yards and 4 tds.

Field looks great. I loved playing there...except for the visiting lockerroom.

Pards Rule
August 21st, 2006, 08:18 AM
Is Walt Hamline still the coach there?

aceinthehole
August 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
Yep! He coached current Fordham and ex-CCSU coach Tom Masella at Wagner.

Pards Rule
August 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
This is his 25th year then! He was an assistant to LC's Bill Russo who came from Wagner. Jack Siedlecki, who was Russo's first OC at Lafayette 25 years ago, came from Albany I believe and now is HC at Yale. I recall reading that after the LC-Central Conn. game Russo was going to drive to Wagner to watch Hamline's first game as HC at Wagner that evening.

Dane96
August 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
This is his 25th year then! He was an assistant to LC's Bill Russo who came from Wagner. Jack Siedlecki, who was Russo's first OC at Lafayette 25 years ago, came from Albany I believe and now is HC at Yale. I recall reading that after the LC-Central Conn. game Russo was going to drive to Wagner to watch Hamline's first game as HC at Wagner that evening.

Siedlecki, Hamline, Lembo (Lehigh/Elon) are all former UA assistants. There was an article a few years back, when Ford was PRES of the coaches association, that Ford and Albany has produced more current High School, College, and Pro coaches than any other program. It is quietly known, within coaching circles, as a place to get your start!

Pards Rule
August 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
Indeed! And I knew a guy (John D'Anna) that played under Siedlecki there. Interesting to note, of all things, on my Long Beach Island beach (Indiana Ave. in Spray Beach area) I saw a renter family and the one young man had a University at Albany shirt on (which I had never seen on ANYONE before) so I expressed my condolences on Dr. Hall's passing and he was genuinely appreciative. He said he met Dr. Hall and everyone at UA loved him. But of all times to see my first UA clothing ever after what happened last Sunday.

Dane96
August 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM
The basketball team's run last year has done wonders for the school. Alumni are popping out of everywhere, our school is receiving tons of grants we have never been able to get before, the people up at the capitol have adopted us (you know...the ones who count...the ones with the money).

I talked to an old friend of mine from the NYS Assembly. He told me the Legislature was miffed when Tom Golisano, along with the financier who owns the Sabres, tried to bribe Buffalo to change its name, detering from the SUNY recognition. It seems, the Legislature likes what Hall has done and is looking to make Albany its research (note Bing will be the liberal arts style school, more in line with the 'Gates and Lehighs, etc.) mecca...making it the shining star of the system.

Hall's legacy will live on in that he instilled school spirit...hence you see the legistlature stepping up, along with students proud to wear U at Albany shirts, much like you saw last week.

The school is truly a sleeping Giant.

And, I digress from the original post...sorry.

Pards Rule
August 21st, 2006, 12:25 PM
I would love to have the Pards schedule a game against Albany up there. Haven't passed thru that area in a long while & would like to see it again.

Dane96
August 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Being we have a new recruiting coordinator for PA, it would be awesome to get a home-home with you guys.

We have played a PL team every year for the past 5 years...two this year.

Pards Rule
August 21st, 2006, 01:15 PM
I don't know why we have Mercyhurst & Sacred Heart rather than UA. Is anyone listening?

aceinthehole
August 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM
I don't know why we have Mercyhurst & Sacred Heart rather than UA. Is anyone listening?

Sacred Heart (NEC, I-AA) isn't that bad, as they are just a few seasons removed from being the top mid-major squad. They are rebuilding now, but they are scheduling up. They hosted Holy Cross last season.

Now Mercyhurst (D-II) is not so good, the win doesn't count for your playoff bid. IMO - each PL team should play 1 NEC team each year :)

Pards Rule
August 21st, 2006, 02:43 PM
I don't know if we even have Mercyhurst anymore. I think we did one time. I was just saying I'd rather do NEC by far.