PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Jerry Moore Moment?

SOCON DOMINATES
December 2nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
I remember being a student at App 24 years ago and seeing the first Black Saturday and Moore poster on campus. My best moment was not Michigan, but the first championship. The guts to put an injured Richie Williams on the field before halftime to provide the spark that eventually led to a win was a great coaching decision! Glad I was there for that one and am disappointed that I was not there yesterday for the last one.

Thanks Coach and Margaret for all of the memories and God Bless!

citdog
December 2nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hICV-U9fsEo

SOCON DOMINATES
December 2nd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Should have known I would get a hater. I know the result in Coach Moore's last game, but I am sure the Mountaineers were fairly successful vs the Bulldogs in his career vs Coach Taaffe, Powers, Johnson, Zerhelt and Higgins. Hope our next hire will be around for 24 years.

citdog
December 2nd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Should have known I would get a hater. I know the result in Coach Moore's last game, but I am sure the Mountaineers were fairly successful vs the Bulldogs in his career vs Coach Taaffe, Powers, Johnson, Zerhelt and Higgins. Hope our next hire will be around for 24 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

KNUTS
December 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
I got a chance to meet Coach Moore and his wife with some of the other MT guys that went to the game this year. They were 2 of the nicest most welcoming people I have ever met. Not sure if they are a reflection of Boone or if Boone is a reflection of them but either way I was very impressed and honored to visit such a great place. I wish them and the rest of App State nothing but the best in the future... except for next September of course.

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 11:39 PM

In fairness, the water safety video is up there on the top (off the field) moments.

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 11:41 PM
My favorite was the little interview he gave on the field after the first NC. Im not going to quote it from memory cause I'll butcher it, but it was what he said, and the way he said it.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 3rd, 2012, 12:00 AM
I got a chance to meet Coach Moore and his wife with some of the other MT guys that went to the game this year. They were 2 of the nicest most welcoming people I have ever met. Not sure if they are a reflection of Boone or if Boone is a reflection of them but either way I was very impressed and honored to visit such a great place. I wish them and the rest of App State nothing but the best in the future... except for next September of course.

This......

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

blueballs
December 3rd, 2012, 06:41 AM
My best Jerry Moore moment came in 2009 when GSU visited Boone.

GSU's Hudson Presume suffered a neck injury against App in Boone. Mrs. Moore accompanied him to the hospital and stayed at his side. Coach Moore checked in on him too after the game.

The Moores took that kid in as family and that kind of character transcends the rivalry and game. I have nothing but respect and admiration for them.

md64179
December 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM

GSU's Hudson Presume suffered a neck injury against App in Boone. Mrs. Moore accompanied him to the hospital and stayed at his side. Coach Moore checked in on him too after the game.

The Moores took that kid in as family and that kind of character transcends the rivalry and game. I have nothing but respect and admiration for them.

This

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2012, 07:27 AM

+1

Apphole
December 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
I was fortunate enough to serve on the ASU video staff under the Moore administration when I was an undergrad. I was just a lowly camera guy for practices and games and had pretty limited interaction with Coach Moore, only actually meeting him once when I first started.

After I graduated and started working, I was given the opportunity to go back, watch practice, eat with the team and sit at the table with Coach Moore, his wife and my colleague that arranged the whole thing. When we met up with coach after practice he identified me by name and as a former video guy before I even had a chance to introduce myself. He is an incredibly thoughtful man that appreciates every aspect of the complex logistics that go into running a success full D-1 football program.

He is a living legend and a wonderful human being.

SpeedkingATL
December 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
My favorite moment is in the Sportsouth program "Road to the Bighouse, App State Football" (or something like that) where Dexter Jackson and Coach Moore are discussing the upcomming Michigan game. After a little banter about Michigan not being afraid to punt to Dex, Coach Moore says "Just you wait, we're gonna shock 'em.... shock 'em". Great predictor of the future!

Appaholic
December 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
My first year at App was Coach Moore's 1st as well. Just about every school morning, I'd take off from River Run apts walking up Rivers St heading to class. I'd pass Coach Moore out for his daily jog. He always spoke to me....every day....not a big deal necessarily, just a good down-to-earth, salt-of-the-earth guy....I will miss his presence at our school...one of those constants...

You know, it reminds you of your own mortality....I remember feeling this way when Dean Smith retired and when Andy Griffith died....just certain things / people in your life that are "constants" & "reliables" until they retire or die....know I'm rambling, just having a tough time expressing myself...

citdog
December 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
My first year at App was Coach Moore's 1st as well. Just about every school morning, I'd take off from River Run apts walking up Rivers St heading to class. I'd pass Coach Moore out for his daily jog. He always spoke to me....every day....not a big deal necessarily, just a good down-to-earth, salt-of-the-earth guy....I will miss his presence at our school...one of those constants...

You know, it reminds you of your own mortality....I remember feeling this way when Dean Smith retired and when Andy Griffith died....just certain things / people in your life that are "constants" & "reliables" until they retire or die....know I'm rambling, just having a tough time expressing myself...

what's up douchey? miss you around here bubba.

Appaholic
December 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
what's up douchey? miss you around here bubba.

Not much. I've been as busy as a 1-legged man in an ***-kickig contest..might be moving from the mountains....been a heluva year...xrotatehx

citdog
December 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Not much. I've been as busy as a 1-legged man in an ***-kickig contest..might be moving from the mountains....been a heluva year...xrotatehx

52-28

sorry dude.......have been waiting to see you on here to say that.

good luck. have a spare bedroom when you and the mrs. want to visit Charleston.

Appaholic
December 3rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
52-28

sorry dude.......have been waiting to see you on here to say that.

good luck. have a spare bedroom when you and the mrs. want to visit Charleston.

Understood.

West Point Honorable Alums = 1
West Point Traitors & Citadel Alums = 0*

*and there are now real women at citadel, not just the light's out queens....

citdog
December 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Understood.

West Point Honorable Alums = 1
West Point Traitors & Citadel Alums = 0*

*and there are now real women at citadel, not just the light's out queens....

i prefer lights on......more personal

the old appa after the championship game we attended.

http://everyplatewebreak.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/everyplatewebreakblogcitycom_december2007_part1-pdf_part2_img_0.jpg

OL FU
December 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
I remember being a student at App 24 years ago and seeing the first Black Saturday and Moore poster on campus. My best moment was not Michigan, but the first championship. The guts to put an injured Richie Williams on the field before halftime to provide the spark that eventually led to a win was a great coaching decision! Glad I was there for that one and am disappointed that I was not there yesterday for the last one.

Thanks Coach and Margaret for all of the memories and God Bless!

I wasn't thinking of that so much as a Jerry Moore moment although I see why it could be. I don't think I had ever cheered so much for a team other than my own when I saw Williams gutting it out on the field and how much his presence lifted that team. and believe me that isn't easy to admit considering just the week before.... well you know.

james_lawfirm
December 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
I wasn't thinking of that so much as a Jerry Moore moment although I see why it could be. I don't think I had ever cheered so much for a team other than my own when I saw Williams gutting it out on the field and how much his presence lifted that team. and believe me that isn't easy to admit considering just the week before.... well you know.

Well, my favorite Jerry Moore moment was not near as mushy as other posters. Nothing wrong with mushy.

But, when App switched from the power-I in 2003 to the spread option in 2004, that was the real deal. The first time I saw that offense, even though I had been warned WAY in advance, I thought what the .... bleep de bleep & bleep is THAT????

It took real courage to do that, and to persevere in that. Remember, in 2004, App won all home games & lost all away games. And, now, I'm completely comfortable with the spread offense --- not even sure what I'd think of Joe Burchette under center again.

And, that leads me to my second favorite JM moment ... the start of "Football 101" (for ladies only). My wife has attended every single one of those. She's come back with stories of so much football & so much fun that I seriously considered dressing in drag just to get in. I believe the first one was in 2004 also. She said that Coach Moore announced right up front that some lady in the AD's office had the idea, and he did not think anyone would want to come to something like that. But, he gave it a shot & it was successful beyond measure. How many wives of other schools' fans can read the hand signals like mine???? Guys, it don't get any better than that.

Yes sir, Coach Moore will be missed. What a great guy, and a great coach. I hope and fully expect that Coach Moore will remain in Boone and at ASU in some capacity.

When's the retirement party?

Grizo406
December 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM

Well said, KNUTS!xthumbsupx

Coach Moore & his wife treated us like family members! Their hospitality is something I'll NEVER forget!xbowx

We got to spend about an hour with Coach & Mrs. Moore on our visit. Both of them were very engaging, and ask us a lot of questions about the Griz, what we did in our jobs, Montana, and told us stories about their visits out West.

I ask Coach Moore about the 2009 semi-final game in Washington/Grizzly...My question to him was: "With 1:30 left on the clock, and you guy's moving the ball so well, if you would have scored on that last drive, would you have went for the 2 point conversion?" He winked at me, and said: "We would have!".

Appalachian State has lost a truly GREAT coach!xbawlingx

PhillyApp1
December 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
Well said, KNUTS!xthumbsupx

Coach Moore & his wife treated us like family members! Their hospitality is something I'll NEVER forget!xbowx

We got to spend about an hour with Coach & Mrs. Moore on our visit. Both of them were very engaging, and ask us a lot of questions about the Griz, what we did in our jobs, Montana, and told us stories about their visits out West.

I ask Coach Moore about the 2009 semi-final game in Washington/Grizzly...My question to him was: "With 1:30 left on the clock, and you guy's moving the ball so well, if you would have scored on that last drive, would you have went for the 2 point conversion?" He winked at me, and said: "We would have!".

Appalachian State has lost a truly GREAT coach!xbawlingx

I think coach Moore had a great time in MT except the score of the game....my story came last year when i had a 13 year old boy with MS wanted to come see APP play. Coach Moore went all out, a tour of the stadium, a shirt, and gave him a helmit with most of the players signature on it. David Jackson interviewed him on the radio. Charlie Cobb gave him great seats. He also sat in on the pregame meeting with the wide receivers. Trey Elder did that and he was so overwelmed/exhausted that he fell asleep during the game. Its Great to be a Mountaineer and Thank You coach Moore for loving God and spreading the spirit.

Appaholic
December 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I think coach Moore had a great time in MT except the score of the game....my story came last year when i had a 13 year old boy with MS wanted to come see APP play. Coach Moore went all out, a tour of the stadium, a shirt, and gave him a helmit with most of the players signature on it. David Jackson interviewed him on the radio. Charlie Cobb gave him great seats. He also sat in on the pregame meeting with the wide receivers. Trey Elder did that and he was so overwelmed/exhausted that he fell asleep during the game. Its Great to be a Mountaineer and Thank You coach Moore for loving God and spreading the spirit.

What an awesome story! Truly a class act. Regardless of his successor and what happens in years to come, App St is truly a better place for having the privilege of him leading our Football team for 24 years. We're a little less institution in some ways without his presence on our sidelines next year....truly a legend at our level...

straightshooter
December 4th, 2012, 05:15 PM
What I most remember made us GSU fans laugh, but in time we weren't laughing any more. It was 2004. GSU just pounded the Mountaineers at Paulson something like 54-7, and frankly, it wasn't that close. After the game, Coach Moore called his team "a bunch of sissies." We Eagle fans thought that was a great line, but it turned out to be the turning point that changed how App State played the game for years to come. Coach Moore realized that it was time to make some changes, and I've got to admit that the changes to that offense were noticeable.

Sorry to see him go out like he did. Have nothing but respect for the man.

CID1990
December 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Coach Moore was always classy. During the AE show in Charleston in I think it was 2007, ASU had the game won near the end. ASU had the ball down around our 5 yard line and Moore had AE take a knee something like 3 times when there was up near 2 minutes left. I don't think the game was a blowout, either. I always remember that.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM
KNUts, Grizo, & Alpha all had the same experience so mine is mirrored by their posts. When we were talking to him he was as gracious and welcoming a guy as you could ever hope to meet. Really easy going and pretty damn funny as well.

Great to see that it was an everyday occurence from that guy and those that have met him. The respect and integrity he had and he received from not only fans but the opposition is real, real tough to come by and doubtful that any of our schools ever get the chance to have more than one guy like that at the helm in our lifetimes.

He was a big reason I couldn't root against App if they weren't playing us and even in that situation it was bittersweet.

psc2445
December 7th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I played for the man in the late 90's and early 2000's. I have a lot of great moments but my favorite is probably the day he came up to me in spring practice of my sophmore year and told me he had a full scholorship for me. I had walked on and to see the hard work i put in for him pay off was pretty sweet.

I am often asked what he was like to play for. The answer for me was and is always very simple. These are still true to this day.
1. This was a man who I didn't ever want to let down. (This is the ultimate kind of respect to me)
2. This is the type of human being who you aspire to be when you are 63 (then) or 73 (now). I'm not referring to the coaching profession. I'm speaking in broader terms. Well respected, honest, faithful, and truly believing life is more fulfilling in the service of others. He truly lives that way.