PDA

View Full Version : TSN Ohio Valley preview

JaxSinfonian
August 18th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Dougherty's views on the OVC are up at The Sports Network:

" In a division where an 8-3 record often garners a playoff berth, it’s almost hard to pull off Eastern Kentucky's run of near-misses over the last eight seasons."

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm
Eastern Kentucky
Eastern Illinois
Jacksonville State
Samford
UT-Martin
Murray State
Tennessee Tech
Tennessee State
Southeast Missouri State

OL FU
August 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I think this is a three way log jam for the champion.
There was not that much difference between EKU, EIU and JSU last year.
JSU looks to be hurt a little more from graduation than the other two.

I think this is the year the OVC starts competing well in the playoffs again.

AppGuy04
August 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I think the transfers JSU has brought in will put them over the top, though I hope these guys stay on the field and out of trouble

JaxSinfonian
August 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I think the transfers JSU has brought in will put them over the top, though I hope these guys stay on the field and out of trouble

Just one transfer with a hint of trouble around him I'm aware of, Montae Pitts. I think he'll stay clean.

AppGuy04
August 18th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Just one transfer with a hint of trouble around him I'm aware of, Montae Pitts. I think he'll stay clean.

and the TE from Ohio St, we don't know why he was dismissed

JaxSinfonian
August 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM
and the TE from Ohio St, we don't know why he was dismissed

No offense intended here, but who in the world are you talking about?

JaxSinfonian
August 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Oh, I see.

Dude, Marcel Frost is going to Jackson State of the SWAC, not Jacksonville State of the OVC.

Cocky
August 18th, 2006, 01:07 PM
After watching a few practices, this will be the best JSU team ever. The defensive speed is greatly improved. We will now have a passing game to go with a great running game. This will open up the run game even more if needed.

arranger101
August 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM
From what i've seen and heard, Tennessee State will finish ranked higher than 8th place.xcoffeex

ekufbfan
August 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM
" In a division where an 8-3 record often garners a playoff berth, it’s almost hard to pull off Eastern Kentucky's run of near-misses over the last eight seasons."

IF it doesn't happen this year, there will be some mighty disappointed Colonel fans! With our home schedule (wku, eiu, jsu and msu all come to Richmond!) anything less than winning the OVC and whipping wku will not be received very well!

GO EKU! WHIP western!:hurray:

EKU05
August 18th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm just glad we get EIU and JSU at home.

Cocky
August 18th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I'm just glad we get EIU and JSU at home.

Just remember we are better on the road than at home.

Cocky
August 18th, 2006, 05:45 PM
From what i've seen and heard, Tennessee State will finish ranked higher than 8th place.xcoffeex

I agree with you.

EKU05
August 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Just remember we are better on the road than at home.

Yes, but we aren't better on the road. Truth be told, I like our chances in a game where both teams play well. A poorly played game all around scares me a lot more. Also, EIU hasn't won in Richmond since I was a freshman in 2001 (granted 3/4 games since then have been in Charleston). That game my Freshman year was a 21-17 EIU win in a season where they cruised to OVC title on Tony Romo's back.

Cocky
August 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Should be a fun year in the OVC. Samford is expecting a better year and I believe TSU will be better. Give Griffin some time and money and Murray will be moving on up.

Chucktown
August 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM
EIU's running attack got better, its passing attack got better, and its defense got more experienced..... and now they are preseason #2 in OVC??? Eyes will be opened by the panthers of 2006... Some will be surprised, but none should be. EIU got better, and more mature, and there is no way that anyone in the OVC should stand in their way this year...

EKU05
August 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I don't anyone will be shocked by EIU, because everyone knows how good they are. Apparently you haven't paid much attention to what EKU has going for them this year. As far as I'm concerned the teams are dead even...and most people giving the edge to the Colonels are likely doing so because they get to host the game betweent the two schools. It wouldn't shock me in the least if either school won it, so there is virtually no chance that EIU will "open my eyes" because I already know what they're capable of (and so does everyone else with half a brain).

Cocky
August 19th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Neither EIU nor EKU will open any eyes both are the heavy favorites. I wouldn't even give us the eye opener label. If JSU wins it will be a surprise but nothing Earth shattering. If any of the others win it will be an eye opener.