PDA

View Full Version : PETITION: Rename AppState's Stadium to "Jerry Moore Stadium"

ncguitarplyr
December 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
In case you didn't know Coach Jerry Moore stepped down as App State's head coach. If you're a fan or respect what he did at App sign this petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/416/646/561/urge-chancellor-peacock-to-rename-appalachian-states-football-stadium-to-jerry-moore-stadium/

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
I would agree with this notion.

JM was bigger for the program than Kidd Brewer.

Kidd Brewer was also a felon.....

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM

He also served in the Navy, among other things... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidd_Brewer

asujch
December 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Jerry Moore Field at Kidd Brewer Stadium

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2012, 06:33 PM
He also served in the Navy, among other things... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidd_Brewer

And ran a campaign for governor from prison.

blueballs
December 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM

... Which is how it should work for just about every politician. ;-)

Wallace
December 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM

^^^ This xsalutex

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2012, 10:09 PM

17313.....C'MON C.....DETAILS.....xconfusedx....AWK!

Gringer1
December 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM

Timothy McVeigh served in the army.

Gringer1
December 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM

Timothy McVeigh served in the army, among other things.

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 11:43 PM

*Sigh*...well, that escalated quickly... :(

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 11:49 PM

Equating a mass murderer including women and children to a 2 bit swindler?

walliver
December 3rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Is ASU going to change their stadium sign to "Kidd Brewer Stadium - he didn't kill no women or children" ?

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2012, 07:57 AM

Yep. That seems like the best course of action.

Gringer1
December 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM
Equating a mass murderer including women and children to a 2 bit swindler?

Merely commenting on how silly it is to imply that serving in the military absolves someone of criminal behavior. Brewer was a felon and his Navy years have no bearing on that.

Side Judge
December 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Back on point - is it case closed that Jerry Moore is done coaching? If not then isn't it a bit premature to name the field after him?

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Back on point - is it case closed that Jerry Moore is done coaching? If not then isn't it a bit premature to name the field after him?

He's getting up there in years. I don't see him picking up another job. Or do you mean coaching at App? Because that's done.

But either way, witness "Coach K Court" at Duke. They named that in 2000, so retirement isn't necessarily a prerequisite.

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
But either way, witness "Coach K Court" at Duke. They named that in 2000, so retirement isn't necessarily a prerequisite.

Does anyone pay attention to the names of fields? It's still the stadium name that matters.

Go Apps
December 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM

Was all about Money - used to Conrad - so I agree let's rename it - Jerry put ASU on the map

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
In case you didn't know Coach Jerry Moore stepped down as App State's head coach. If you're a fan or respect what he did at App sign this petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/416/646/561/urge-chancellor-peacock-to-rename-appalachian-states-football-stadium-to-jerry-moore-stadium/

He didn't exactly "step down."

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yep. That seems like the best course of action.

It's already been named for a donor.

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM

Age 73 is not an ideal time to be starting over.

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2012, 03:23 PM

Political It would be a no-brainer in today's world of politics. He was also a governor's candidate.

Apphole
December 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Keep doubting Jerry Moore Stadium

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
The petition is gaining a little traction. It got featured on the official school newspaper's website:
http://www.theappalachianonline.com/mountaineers/10002-petition-created-to-rename-kidd-brewer-and-honor-moore

400 signatures so far, goal is 500.

WataugaDave
December 4th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I totally agree with this and have signed the petition.

Other fitting tributes may be:
Jerry Moore Field at Kidd Brewer Stadium (especially since Dell Murphy is a donor)
Renaming Stadium Drive to Jerry Moore Drive or something similar (see "Woody Hayes Drive" on Ohio State's campus)
Jerry Moore Athletics Center (the new building adjacent to the stadium, currently unnamed)
And of course, there has to be a statue somewhere.

As for the field already being named - Jerry Moore is responsible for at least tripling App's athletic revenue. That almost certainly equates to more money than whatever Murphy gave.

walliver
December 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM
If the field is already named, maybe you could name the anti-Furman voodoo spot on the field to Jerry Moore's anti-Furman Zone at ... ;)

asumike83
December 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Renaming Stadium Drive to Jerry Moore Drive
Jerry Moore Athletics Center

Those are both excellent ideas if the stadium name is not feasible. Brewer-Moore Stadium has a decent ring to it as well.

appstate38
December 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I am thinking if the renaming the stadium doesn't go through then there had better be a big A$$ statue of him at the entrance of the stadium complex. Not gonna rename the field cause the family that spent that cash to get their name on it aint gonna like that too much.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I like "Jerry Moore Way" for the Stadium Drive.

Bottom line is, we need to name something for him and get him a statue asap.

Edit: Also, if we can get the stadium or athletics center named for jerry, we could always still rename stadium drive "Armanti Edwards Pass"

WataugaDave
December 4th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I think the Athletics Center may be the most viable proposal. And they should do it before Irwin Belk decides to slap his name on that too.

Keep in mind, Kidd Brewer was already re-named once from Conrad Stadium.

boogereagle
December 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Edit: Also, if we can get the stadium or athletics center named for jerry, we could always still rename stadium drive "Armanti Edwards Pass"

I like that.

Too bad you can't name one of those mountains up there for Moore.
Mount Moore.

Ok, so maybe that's a little much. But the guy definitely deseres to have his name on something big.

Edge316007
December 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM

Can we retire #14 before we go naming roads after him?

But yes, Stadium Drive sounds so stupid. It needs to be something--anything--else.

LakesBizun
December 5th, 2012, 09:47 AM
The petition is gaining a little traction. It got featured on the official school newspaper's website:
http://www.theappalachianonline.com/mountaineers/10002-petition-created-to-rename-kidd-brewer-and-honor-moore

400 signatures so far, goal is 500.

Need some NDSU guys to help you collect signatures?

Skjellyfetti
December 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM

But yes, Stadium Drive sounds so stupid. It needs to be something--anything--else.

I'd rather use 14 and give it to a special player as an honore. Kinda like what Montana does with #37.

Apphole
December 5th, 2012, 10:20 AM

This is tricky. We should have retired the number after he graduated.

Now we have another superstar #14. What are we going to do when Price breaks every receiving record possible and gets drafted first round?