PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Moore out as ASU coach, Satterfield interim coach

T-Dog
December 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Per Tommy Bowman on Twitter.

Twentysix
December 2nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Did he resign or was he fired? No way they fired him.. link?

gataeagles06
December 2nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Wow! Wonder if he retired voluntarily or if he was asked to step down.

T-Dog
December 2nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
http://twitter.com/AppTrailWSJ/status/275343454811332609

WataugaDave
December 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Not seeing it on goasu.com or Facebook.

I have my doubts. If you recall all the conference realignment talk at the beginning of the season, the Journal doesn't have the best record of covering Appalachian sports.

asumike83
December 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Wow... I am very interested to hear the details. I hope this was not an ugly situation, Coach Moore gave a LOT to Appalachian.

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Wow... I am very interested to hear the details. I hope this was not an ugly situation, Coach Moore gave a LOT to Appalachian.

Cobb had better make sure he doesn't screw the biggest move of his ASU tenure up. He has a bit of a track record...

T-Dog
December 2nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Jerry and our radio guy DJ were crying on the post-game show last night. I think they knew.

hapapp
December 2nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
It was the most emotional I've ever heard Jerry in a postgame interview. He lingered a long time on the field after the game. It really made think this was going to happen today or tomorrow.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Hopefully it was 100% Jerry's decision. Maybe App is moving up and Jerry felt this was a good time to step aside.

WataugaDave
December 2nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
It's official :(

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205819345

Apparently it was decided at the beginning of the season.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Jerry Moore, the winningest coach in Appalachian State University and Southern Conference history, will not return as Appalachian State University football’s head coach, director of athletics Charlie Cobb announced on Sunday.

“Following the end of last season (2011), Coach Moore and I sat down and we came to the decision, with the approval of Dr. (Kenneth E.) Peacock (Appalachian State University chancellor) that the 2012 season would be the last season of his tenure as head coach,” Cobb said. “Coach Moore didn’t want to make that decision public before or during the season because, in his typical humble nature, he wanted all of the focus to be on his student-athletes, winning a 10th Southern Conference championship and returning to the postseason for the eighth-straight year. In a fitting sendoff, all of those goals were accomplished. For thousands of Mountaineer fans, including myself, seeing him carried off the field by his players while clutching the Southern Conference championship trophy following the win over Furman (Nov. 10) was the highlight of the season.”

“Words cannot express the gratitude that the Appalachian family has and that I have personally for Coach and Margaret (Moore),” Cobb continued. “The number of lives that Coach and Margaret have impacted in a positive way in their 24 years in the High Country is innumerable. Coach Moore is legend at Appalachian State and in college football and we are planning to celebrate his legacy appropriately and abundantly in the future.”

Moore compiled a 215-87 record in his 24 seasons at Appalachian State, including 10 Southern Conference championships, 18 postseason appearances and an unprecedented three-straight NCAA Division I FCS/I-AA national titles (2005-07). In 31 years as a head coach, Moore was 242-135-2, which is good for 15th all-time among NCAA Division I coaches. This year alone, Moore passed coaching legends Bo Schembechler (234 victories), Billy Joe (237) and Woody Hayes (238) on the all-time wins list.

While he enjoyed success at nearly every stop of his 51-year coaching career, his 24 seasons at Appalachian State cemented Moore’s standing as one of college football’s all-time great mentors.

He led the Mountaineers to three-consecutive national championships from 2005-07, making Appalachian the first program to ever win three-straight titles at the FCS level and the first Division I institution (FCS or FBS) to accomplish the feat in 61 years. Appalachian became the first institution from the state of North Carolina to ever win an NCAA football championship at any level when it defeated Northern Iowa, 21-16, in the 2005 national-title game, a feat it repeated with wins over Massachusetts (28-17) and Delaware (49-21) in the 2006 and ‘07 NCAA Division I Football Championship finals.

Moore also led the Mountaineers to seven SoCon championships in the last eight years (2005-10, ‘12), making Appalachian State only the second program to achieve that feat since the venerable league began crowning a champion in 1933. Appalachian won 26-straight conference games — the second-longest run of league victories in SoCon history and the longest in 51 years — from 2007-10.

Additionally, Appalachian State became a household name when Moore led his troops to perhaps the biggest and most prominent upset in college football history, a 34-32 triumph over the University of Michigan in the 2007 season opener. The victory over Michigan, college football’s all-time winningest program which came into the contest ranked No. 5 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll, marked the first time that an FCS team ever toppled a nationally ranked FBS opponent. The victory also compelled the AP to change its long-standing history of only accepting votes for FBS teams in its Top 25 poll, which allowed the Mountaineers to become the first FCS team to ever receive votes in the poll, which they did on three occasions in 2007.

Moore is no stranger to individual awards, as he is a three-time American Football Coaches Association Coach of the Year (2005, ‘06, ‘07) and the only Division I (FCS or FBS) mentor in the 77-year history of the award to win it three years in a row. He also won the 2006 Eddie Robinson Award (National Coach of the Year) from The Sports Network, is a six-time AFCA Regional Coach of the Year (1994, ‘95, 2005, ‘06, ‘08, ‘09, ‘10) and a record eight-time SoCon Coach of the Year (1991, ‘94, ‘95, 2005, ‘06, ‘08, ‘09, ‘10). In 2009, he was named the Liberty Mutual FCS Coach of the Year, an award that included $50,000 for Moore’s favorite charities and $20,000 for the Appalachian State Alumni Association scholarship fund.

Under Moore, Appalachian State players earned all-conference recognition 257 times and have received all-America honors on 95 occasions with this year’s all-America teams still to be announced. He also coached the only two-time winner of the Walter Payton Award (FCS National Player of the Year), Armanti Edwards in 2008 and ‘09.

In addition to his nearly quarter-century tenure at Appalachian State, Moore also served as head coach at North Texas (1979-80) and Texas Tech (1981-85) and spent 15 seasons on the staffs of legendary mentors Hayden Fry (1965-72 at SMU), Tom Osborne (1973-78 at Nebraska) and Ken Hatfield (1988 at Arkansas). Moore began his coaching career with four seasons as an assistant coach at Corsicana H.S. in Texas (1961-64).

Prior to embarking on his legendary coaching career, Moore made his mark as one of the nation’s premier players at Baylor from 1958-60. He ranked among the nation’s top 10 in receptions while serving as a team captain for the 11th-ranked Bears as a senior and graduated from Baylor with a bachelor’s degree in finance and economics in 1961. A native of Bonham, Texas, Moore was an all-state performer on the gridiron and earned 14 varsity letters in four sports at Bonham H.S. He is a member of the Bonham Athletics Hall of Fame and the town honored one of its most prominent sons when it declared Feb. 18, 2008 to be “Jerry Moore Day” in the hamlet of 9,900 located 75 miles northeast of Dallas.

“During his 24 years of loyal service to Appalachian State University, Coach Moore’s contribution to the institution is far greater than his success on the field,” Peacock said. “He touched the lives of many young people and made life better for them. He will be missed but never forgotten at Appalachian State.”

Assistant head coach Scott Satterfield will serve as Appalachian State’s interim head coach while a nationwide search is conducted for the 20th head coach in program history.

paward
December 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Coach Moore was 1AA, FCS pioneer. All others just took notes. He will be sorely missed. Even if you hate on Appalachian State, you have to marvel at what he did for that program.

T-Dog
December 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM

Decision was made prior to the season and kept secret.

asujch
December 2nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
the article via goasu.com

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 03:25 PM
It's official :(

Apparently it was decided at the beginning of the season.

I am extremely saddened by this... I certainly hope it's not health related.. It shouldn't be based on success on the football field...

One wonders if we definitely are moving "over" (not up) to the FBS. Moore has consistently said he did not want to be coaching at ASU when this happens...

eaglewraith
December 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
And so begins the Satterfield era?

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
And so begins the Satterfield era?

Leading candidate, but far from done deal.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
“Following the end of last season (2011), Coach Moore and I sat down and we came to the decision, with the approval of Dr. (Kenneth E.) Peacock ........."

Sounds a little odd if it was all Moore's decision to retire. I thought it would say "Following the end of last season, Coach Moore informed me that 2012 would be his last season......"

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM
“Following the end of last season (2011), Coach Moore and I sat down and we came to the decision, with the approval of Dr. (Kenneth E.) Peacock ........."

Sounds a little odd if it was all Moore's decision to retire. I thought it would say "Following the end of last season, Coach Moore informed me that 2012 would be his last season......"

One would think they would make that more public, earlier

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 03:30 PM

Maybe it was a contract issue....

T-Dog
December 2nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
After last season, when Charlie fired Jerry's son Chris, they had a discussion (to put it lightely) about the future and there was talk then of Jerry being "promoted" to a fund-raising role.

T-Dog
December 2nd, 2012, 03:32 PM
One would think they would make that more public, earlier

Jerry didn't want a farewell tour.

kdinva
December 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Coach Moore will be missed on the national scene, he did great things in Boone. I know he and the late Bill Stewart were very close.

Bases on how I view the article, I will label this as: "retired from coaching".....

Edge316007
December 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Leading candidate, but far from done deal.

That's only if Bill Cowher says no, right?

hapapp
December 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
I think the athletic admin knows that this has to be the right choice. This will be Cobb's most important hire since his arrival in Boone. His basketball hire has proven to be a disaster to this point. I don't think anyone has been anointed. There are several former ASU coaches/players out there that will likely show interest and will likely get a fair hearing. Going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

HappyHippie
December 2nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Make no mistakes - Cobb fired Moore. Ask any player that was in the team meeting.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
I think the athletic admin knows that this has to be the right choice. This will be Cobb's most important hire since his arrival in Boone.

And there's no excuse for not making a quality hire given almost a full year to mull it over...

WataugaDave
December 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
If that's true, Cobb has to go immediately. Coach Moore deserves better than that.

hapapp
December 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
I think the use of the word "fire" is dangerous. It is likely that the discussion lead to the decision to retire, I doubt that Cobb "fired" Jerry.

T-Dog
December 2nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
IMO, I think the fall of Chris Moore this time last year was a big hit on Jerry. He so badly wanted him to succeed and be a head coach, but Chris couldn't overcome his demons.

Edge316007
December 2nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Forced retirement.

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Like Florida State with Bowden/Fisher transition, only no one ever knew about it.

The Satterfield hire was pretty much a dead giveaway this was coming. Probably told him in '07 to get out of Boone and grow his resume, then come back and be groomed to take over after Jerry retires. I don't think ASU ever had an "Asst. Head Coach" before Satterfield.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
And the timing of the Satterfield hire. Speculative... but, hard to believe that this secret agreement wasn't known to Satterfield when he agreed to come back.

biggie
December 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Sad day.

Thank you Jerry and best wishes.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Will press conference be streamed anywhere?

PhillyApp1
December 2nd, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cobb does nothing Chancellor Peacock does not approve.

SpeedkingATL
December 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
It sounds like Jerry might have actually decided after the 2011 season and without his son on board that he was ready to retire. Satterfield was likely brought onboard as a result of this decision with the possiblity of being the successor. Jerry had a great career and the fact that so many fans were unhappy with an 8-3 regular season and a share of the SoCon title shows how high Jerry's own success set the bar. I just hope he stays close to the university and the community and has many years of healthy, happy retirement. Now just have to get the next hire right.

whoanellie
December 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
what the Journal is the only paper that covers App

I have my doubts. If you recall all the conference realignment talk at the beginning of the season, the Journal doesn't have the best record of covering Appalachian sports.

Gringer1
December 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Jerry Moore was a good man who gave everything to Appalachian. Unlike the couple of douchey App fans who constantly mock Erk Russell, I won't say anything bad about Moore in his retirement. Few coaches manage to be good role models while also winning championships. He was a great character in the SoCon and his presence will be missed.

blueballs
December 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
If this is true I hope everybody celebrates a great career and the impact Coach Moore had on his players, the university, and community. He is deserving of every accolade and honor.

As a fan of perhaps his biggest rival I have a lot of respect and admiration for him, as a college football fan I am sad to see him go. He is one of the true icons in his profession.

Congratulations on a helluva' career Coach Moore!!!!!!!

asujch
December 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
It sounds like Jerry might have actually decided after the 2011 season and without his son on board that he was ready to retire. Satterfield was likely brought onboard as a result of this decision with the possiblity of being the successor. Jerry had a great career and the fact that so many fans were unhappy with an 8-3 regular season and a share of the SoCon title shows how high Jerry's own success set the bar. I just hope he stays close to the university and the community and has many years of healthy, happy retirement. Now just have to get the next hire right.

Cobb has had a full year to search for the best fit if it's not going to be Satterfield. I hope whoever does get the job will be a guy that will be like Jerry and stay with us for years to come (granted he is successful). I hate a revolving door of head coaches that some programs go through. It's not good for the program.

If it is going to be Satterfield, I hope his first move is to fire Dale Jones, our defense has been atrocious for the last two years, and it's not from lack of talent.

It's definitely going to be another interesting offseason just like last year.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
From Cobb at press conference:

Not fair to say Coach Moore fired.

Desire to move to FBS a part of Moore's decision.

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Cobb has had a full year to search for the best fit if it's not going to be Satterfield. I hope whoever does get the job will be a guy that will be like Jerry and stay with us for years to come (granted he is successful). I hate a revolving door of head coaches that some programs go through. It's not good for the program.

That will be the toughest adjustment. The fact is that since Satterfield (or any other possible candidate) is younger, he will most likely entertain job offers from other schools if he is successful. I have no doubt Scott loves Appalachian, but money talks.

Monarch History
I've always been a Jerry Moore fan and respected his Christian values and how he handled himself on and off the field.

asujch

link to the audio/video?

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
link to the audio/video?

No, just following people's twitter reports

https://twitter.com/joelgillie
https://twitter.com/annebuie

asumike83
December 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Saddest 24-hour period in my time as a Mountaineer. Appalachian football will not be the same without him, he gave a lot to our university.

SpeedkingATL
December 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Jerry Moore was a good man who gave everything to Appalachian. Unlike the couple of douchey App fans who constantly mock Erk Russell, I won't say anything bad about Moore in his retirement. Few coaches manage to be good role models while also winning championships. He was a great character in the SoCon and his presence will be missed.

The only App fans that don't admire Erk Russell are the ones too young to remember his tenure at GaSo. Erk, Jerry, and eventually Ayers are 3 of the modern day SoCon coaches that would be on the Rushmore of modern era SoCon coaches. Go earlier and Bob Waters would be a fourth with others in consideration.

asujch
December 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM
That will be the toughest adjustment. The fact is that since Satterfield (or any other possible candidate) is younger, he will most likely entertain job offers from other schools if he is successful. I have no doubt Scott loves Appalachian, but money talks.

I don't think he would leave for another job if he gets the HC position, his wife is an App alum and a decorated athlete too, they love ASU.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 04:37 PM

Sounds like he was fired. What is ironic in football is that great success usually leads to your failure. Winning the three titles set the bar so high it became difficult to keep people satisfied.

Ole Erk was smarter than we knew. Although he had more years in him, he went out on top 15-0 with the players carrying him off the field.

Best wishes to Jerry......great man and I always love watching that halftime talk he gave during the Michigan game.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 04:37 PM
I don't think he would leave for another job if he gets the HC position, his wife is an App alum and a decorated athlete too, they love ASU.

If he's successful, especially if he is successful transitioning to FBS... big time schools will come after him. As much as they love App... it will be difficult to turn down the kind of money that would be offered.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Speculative... but, hard to believe that this secret agreement wasn't known to Satterfield when he agreed to come back.

Ok. Nevermind. Satterfield says he did know know of the agreement when he decided to come back.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
Only thing to say in this thread is thank you Coach Moore for all you did for Appalachian, you provided so many memories and more importantly helped so many young men along the way. Thank you!

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Sounds like he was fired. What is ironic in football is that great success usually leads to your failure. Winning the three titles set the bar so high it became difficult to keep people satisfied.

Ole Erk was smarter than we knew. Although he had more years in him, he went out on top 15-0 with the players carrying him off the field.

Best wishes to Jerry......great man and I always love watching that halftime talk he gave during the Michigan game.

He wasn't fired people. Here is my developing story on College Sports Journal. It will be updated frequently tonight:

Here is my story in progress on the retirement of Jerry Moore as Appalachian State's head football coach. It will be updated as we learn more:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/651-jerry-moore-steps-down-as-appalachian-state-football-coach

HappyHippie
December 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Mr. C - I know for a fact that Coach Moore wanted to coach one more season. The meeting with Cobb this morning was a shock to Coach Moore and his family. He was fired. The whole situation is disgusting.

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Mr. C - I know for a fact that Coach Moore wanted to coach one more season. The meeting with Cobb this morning was a shock to Coach Moore and his family. He was fired. The whole situation is disgusting.

So is your spastic reaction. Did you ever think that just maybe Cobb and Peacock agreed because they know of something BEYOND just next year?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Well, the honor of meeting him and talking to him on the field at at App on Friday prior to the game resonates even more now.

He is one hell of a nice and gracious man and I personally will miss seeing him on the sidelines for Appalachian and will now be saddened to not be able to see him on the sidelines at WaGriz next season.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2012, 06:20 PM

That doesn't jibe with what my sources are saying. Where is your proof?

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM

He accidentally spilled the bong water on his proof. Just a big brown spot now.

GreatAppSt
December 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
I'm now waiting for a FBS announcement to follow soon. It's been nice knowing y'all.

xbowx

ASU_Fanatic
December 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Man, what a 24-hour span for Appalachian football. Heart breaking. I expect Satterfield to get this job and that's who deserves it, this team can make a championship run next year so let's not mess that up. Satterfield is young, knows all the players and knows the recruiting roots for App. Don't see a better candidate right now, and some of you App fans need to stop drinking the black and yellow kool-aid. If Satterfield wins a lot of games here he's going to look at bigger jobs, I have a feeling his ultimate coaching "dream" wasn't to be the head coach at App State, that's just reality. But in the end, he seems to be the perfect candidate for the opening and I think he'll have to screw up big not to get it.

This does have me really pondering, I wonder if Cobb knows something that we don't. Moore made it clear he didn't want to be part of an FBS jump and it also sounds like he wanted one more year as coach, I'm hoping maybe Cobb is in serious talks with an FBS conference but who knows.

But wow, how do I begin to thank Coach Moore. He provided me some of my greatest childhood memories and is the main reason I'm bleeding black and gold like I am today, he is a college football legend.

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
This man just won back-to-back NCAA championships, right? ASU would not fire him, would they?

And are they actually going to move to Conference USA for all sports?

AppAlum2003
December 2nd, 2012, 07:04 PM
This man just won back-to-back NCAA championships, right? ASU would not fire him, would they?

And are they actually going to move to Conference USA for all sports?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg

OldFootballGuy
December 2nd, 2012, 07:11 PM

Cobb's own quotes in The Sports Network release indicates it wasn't Jerry's choice. He called it a difference of opinion and said it was time to move in a new direction. Certainly not words that would be used if it were a voluntary retirement.

http://www.digtriad.com/sports/college/football/article/257129/339/Legendary-coach-Moore-out-at-Appalachian-State

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Cobb's own quotes in The Sports Network release indicates it wasn't Jerry's choice. He called it a difference of opinion and said it was time to move in a new direction. Certainly not words that would be used if it were a voluntary retirement.

http://www.digtriad.com/sports/college/football/article/257129/339/Legendary-coach-Moore-out-at-Appalachian-State

Cobb also said it was not a firing, but that they had an agreement from last winter that Moore would coach one final year.

Wallace
December 2nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Online: http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205819345

Jerry Moore Tenure Comes to an End at Appalachian

BOONE, N.C. — Jerry Moore, the winningest coach in Appalachian State University and Southern Conference history, will not return as Appalachian State University football’s head coach, director of athletics Charlie Cobb announced on Sunday.

“Following the end of last season (2011), Coach Moore and I sat down and we came to the decision, with the approval of Dr. (Kenneth E.) Peacock (Appalachian State University chancellor) that the 2012 season would be the last season of his tenure as head coach,” Cobb said. “Coach Moore didn’t want to make that decision public before or during the season because, in his typical humble nature, he wanted all of the focus to be on his student-athletes, winning a 10th Southern Conference championship and returning to the postseason for the eighth-straight year. In a fitting sendoff, all of those goals were accomplished. For thousands of Mountaineer fans, including myself, seeing him carried off the field by his players while clutching the Southern Conference championship trophy following the win over Furman (Nov. 10) was the highlight of the season.”

“Words cannot express the gratitude that the Appalachian family has and that I have personally for Coach and Margaret (Moore),” Cobb continued. “The number of lives that Coach and Margaret have impacted in a positive way in their 24 years in the High Country is innumerable. Coach Moore is legend at Appalachian State and in college football and we are planning to celebrate his legacy appropriately and abundantly in the future.”

Moore compiled a 215-87 record in his 24 seasons at Appalachian State, including 10 Southern Conference championships, 18 postseason appearances and an unprecedented three-straight NCAA Division I FCS/I-AA national titles (2005-07). In 31 years as a head coach, Moore was 242-135-2, which is good for 15th all-time among NCAA Division I coaches. This year alone, Moore passed coaching legends Bo Schembechler (234 victories), Billy Joe (237) and Woody Hayes (238) on the all-time wins list.

While he enjoyed success at nearly every stop of his 51-year coaching career, his 24 seasons at Appalachian State cemented Moore’s standing as one of college football’s all-time great mentors.

He led the Mountaineers to three-consecutive national championships from 2005-07, making Appalachian the first program to ever win three-straight titles at the FCS level and the first Division I institution (FCS or FBS) to accomplish the feat in 61 years. Appalachian became the first institution from the state of North Carolina to ever win an NCAA football championship at any level when it defeated Northern Iowa, 21-16, in the 2005 national-title game, a feat it repeated with wins over Massachusetts (28-17) and Delaware (49-21) in the 2006 and ‘07 NCAA Division I Football Championship finals.

Moore also led the Mountaineers to seven SoCon championships in the last eight years (2005-10, ‘12), making Appalachian State only the second program to achieve that feat since the venerable league began crowning a champion in 1933. Appalachian won 26-straight conference games — the second-longest run of league victories in SoCon history and the longest in 51 years — from 2007-10.

Additionally, Appalachian State became a household name when Moore led his troops to perhaps the biggest and most prominent upset in college football history, a 34-32 triumph over the University of Michigan in the 2007 season opener. The victory over Michigan, college football’s all-time winningest program which came into the contest ranked No. 5 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll, marked the first time that an FCS team ever toppled a nationally ranked FBS opponent. The victory also compelled the AP to change its long-standing history of only accepting votes for FBS teams in its Top 25 poll, which allowed the Mountaineers to become the first FCS team to ever receive votes in the poll, which they did on three occasions in 2007.

Moore is no stranger to individual awards, as he is a three-time American Football Coaches Association Coach of the Year (2005, ‘06, ‘07) and the only Division I (FCS or FBS) mentor in the 77-year history of the award to win it three years in a row. He also won the 2006 Eddie Robinson Award (National Coach of the Year) from The Sports Network, is a six-time AFCA Regional Coach of the Year (1994, ‘95, 2005, ‘06, ‘08, ‘09, ‘10) and a record eight-time SoCon Coach of the Year (1991, ‘94, ‘95, 2005, ‘06, ‘08, ‘09, ‘10). In 2009, he was named the Liberty Mutual FCS Coach of the Year, an award that included $50,000 for Moore’s favorite charities and $20,000 for the Appalachian State Alumni Association scholarship fund.

Under Moore, Appalachian State players earned all-conference recognition 257 times and have received all-America honors on 95 occasions with this year’s all-America teams still to be announced. He also coached the only two-time winner of the Walter Payton Award (FCS National Player of the Year), Armanti Edwards in 2008 and ‘09.

In addition to his nearly quarter-century tenure at Appalachian State, Moore also served as head coach at North Texas (1979-80) and Texas Tech (1981-85) and spent 15 seasons on the staffs of legendary mentors Hayden Fry (1965-72 at SMU), Tom Osborne (1973-78 at Nebraska) and Ken Hatfield (1988 at Arkansas). Moore began his coaching career with four seasons as an assistant coach at Corsicana H.S. in Texas (1961-64).

Prior to embarking on his legendary coaching career, Moore made his mark as one of the nation’s premier players at Baylor from 1958-60. He ranked among the nation’s top 10 in receptions while serving as a team captain for the 11th-ranked Bears as a senior and graduated from Baylor with a bachelor’s degree in finance and economics in 1961. A native of Bonham, Texas, Moore was an all-state performer on the gridiron and earned 14 varsity letters in four sports at Bonham H.S. He is a member of the Bonham Athletics Hall of Fame and the town honored one of its most prominent sons when it declared Feb. 18, 2008 to be “Jerry Moore Day” in the hamlet of 9,900 located 75 miles northeast of Dallas.

“During his 24 years of loyal service to Appalachian State University, Coach Moore’s contribution to the institution is far greater than his success on the field,” Peacock said. “He touched the lives of many young people and made life better for them. He will be missed but never forgotten at Appalachian State.”

Assistant head coach Scott Satterfield will serve as Appalachian State’s interim head coach while a nationwide search is conducted for the 20th head coach in program history.
--
Appalachian State Sports Information

BigApp
December 2nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
If this is true I hope everybody celebrates a great career and the impact Coach Moore had on his players, the university, and community. He is deserving of every accolade and honor.

As a fan of perhaps his biggest rival I have a lot of respect and admiration for him, as a college football fan I am sad to see him go. He is one of the true icons in his profession.

Congratulations on a helluva' career Coach Moore!!!!!!!

AMEN!

OldFootballGuy
December 2nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Cobb also said it was not a firing, but that they had an agreement from last winter that Moore would coach one final year.

So, it's somewhere between a firing and a voluntary retirement? Seems like splitting hairs to me. Did Moore agree to the agreement, or was he told that was how it would be?

BigApp
December 2nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
On the other hand, I'm pretty f'in sure the Panthers will have an opening in a month or so...xchinscratchx

xwhistlexxwhistlexxcrazyxxwhistlexxwhistlex

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Nothing but respect for KM. This is truly the end of an era.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 2nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
I disagree about Saterfield taking the HC job as just a stepping stone until a better job comes along. One of the reasons he came back was family. His wife graduated from ASU, and his inlaws live in Boone, plus his own family lives in Raleigh. He said one the reasons he came back was to raise his kids near their grandparents. Not saying he would stay 20 years, but, I also think he is happy in Boone, and isnt going to be looking to leave anytime soon.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
So, it's somewhere between a firing and a voluntary retirement? Seems like splitting hairs to me. Did Moore agree to the agreement, or was he told that was how it would be?

We may not know until we talk to Moore. The ironic thing right now is that I'm in Boone and he's in New York City, two hours from my house in Philly. Charlie Cobb was trying his best to be nebulous. Charlie said Jerry had agreed in December. Maybe Jerry changed his mind on Sunday.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
Online: http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205819345

Jerry Moore Tenure Comes to an End at Appalachian

BOONE, N.C. — Jerry Moore, the winningest coach in Appalachian State University and Southern Conference history, will not return as Appalachian State University football’s head coach, director of athletics Charlie Cobb announced on Sunday.

--
Appalachian State Sports Information

Doesn't The College Sporting News have a story on this?

walliver
December 2nd, 2012, 08:04 PM
The whatever-it-is announcement was tasteless. While I believe that it was time for Coach Moore to retire, he should have been allowed to announce his "retirement" on his own.

pbr1893
December 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Doesn't The College Sporting News have a story on this?
sent you a private message

OldFootballGuy
December 2nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
We may not know until we talk to Moore. The ironic thing right now is that I'm in Boone and he's in New York City, two hours from my house in Philly. Charlie Cobb was trying his best to be nebulous. Charlie said Jerry had agreed in December. Maybe Jerry changed his mind on Sunday.

Still seems like a lot of splitting hairs. Cobb said they reached a decision, but never said Moore agreed to it. In the Sports Network release, Cobb said one person wanted one thing and one person wanted another and they just had to agree to disagree. Doesn't sound like consensus to me. Also odd that Moore was not made available for the conference call. If it was voluntary, seems they would have wanted him front and center. It all smells funny to me. With Cobb's disastrous record in hiring basketball coaches, he can't afford to have another blemish on his resume if he intends to move on.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Also odd that Moore was not made available for the conference call. If it was voluntary, seems they would have wanted him front and center. It all smells funny to me.

I have to agree on that. Something doesn't smell right.

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Never would have been an issue had Jerry Moore not hired his son.

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
We must all remember that Cobb didn't magically wave his wand to get us the three national championships... He basically fell into the job at the perfect time and ended up putting his name to the first trophy... I still haven't seen anything from him that merits a "That-a-boy" pat on the back.

dgtw
December 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Saying it is "unfair to call it a firing" just sounds fishy to me. Like it isn't a firing, but it really is.

What was the deal with his son?

OldFootballGuy
December 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
Never would have been an issue had Jerry Moore not hired his son.

Also very true. Not a smart decision.

AppAttack
December 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM

I know for a fact that Mrs Moore told a person, in which I was present, that this would be his last year. This was last summer at a Yosef Tour stop.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
We must all remember that Cobb didn't magically wave his wand to get us the three national championships... He basically fell into the job at the perfect time and ended up putting his name to the first trophy... I still haven't seen anything from him that merits a "That-a-boy" pat on the back.

He has doubled athletic department revenue since he's been here. The 3-peat and Michigan had a lot to do with that... but, he played a large role in getting local businesses involved, etc.

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 08:39 PM

He wanted one more year after this year after saying this year would be his last. I believe the term is "Favre-ing." Cobb honored the agreement. Hardly a "disgusting situation." He will be lauded with plenty of honors around ASU and the Boone community for his service. They should start with renaming the field or placing a bronze statue in the stadium plaza.

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
He has doubled athletic department revenue since he's been here. The 3-peat and Michigan had a lot to do with that... but, he played a large role in getting local businesses involved, etc.

AFTER we won Championships... A monkey with a phone could've doubled revenue after winning the championships...

He LUCKED into this situation...

citdog
December 2nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
let us all remember the early to mid 2000's when most of these same posters wanted to run Moore out of town on a rail. if this was anything other than Moore leaving because he wanted to then shame on app st. either way I wish him luck and godspeed as he has earned it.

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Saying it is "unfair to call it a firing" just sounds fishy to me. Like it isn't a firing, but it really is.

What was the deal with his son?

Basically, it was a case of a guy being hired strictly because of nepotism and not qualifications. Moore always wanted his son Chris to take over as head coach once he hung them up, but it was clear Chris had been in over his head for quite some time. Finally, after the disappointment in 2011, Jerry was given an ultimatum to overhaul the staff, chief among the moves being to fire his son.

OL FU
December 2nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Moore is a class act. I certainly hope, and have not reason to believe otherwise, that it was his decision.
The ASU nation should feel very greatful to have had him as their coach.

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Basically, it was a case of a guy being hired strictly because of nepotism and not qualifications. Moore always wanted his son Chris to take over as head coach once he hung them up, but it was clear Chris had been in over his head for quite some time. Finally, after the disappointment in 2011, Jerry was given an ultimatum to overhaul the staff, chief among the moves being to fire his son.

Which I believe was the major beef between Moore and Cobb...

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Which I believe was the major beef between Moore and Cobb...

And Moore had not a leg to stand on.

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
And Moore had not a leg to stand on.

Yeah, but as a father I can understand how unconditional love is with your children... Firing family is the hardest thing you'll ever have to do as a manager/leader...

But C. Moore did need to go... Just saying it was probably very hard to do so by his dad.

pbr1893
December 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
if i was retiring and wanted to keep it on the downlow...finenot big final season tour but after the last game and it was announced, wouldn't i want to be a part of that press conference and personally thank the fans??? i smell a rat...or i mean a wolf(pack) in sheep's clothing...cobb

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, but as a father I can understand how unconditional love is with your children... Firing family is the hardest thing you'll ever have to do as a manager/leader...

But C. Moore did need to go... Just saying it was probably very hard to do so by his dad.

I agree to some extent.

But, we should be VERY glad that he didn't go to Clemson last offseason as we would be sitting with an unknown at AD about to determine the fate of our University for the next few decades.

I agree with some of the complaints with Cobb, but I'm very glad he's still here and will be making the hire.

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM

Which is why you dont hire your son in the first place, and you certainly dont pay him as much as its been said he was paying him.

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
I agree to some extent.

But, we should be VERY glad that he didn't go to Clemson last offseason as we would be sitting with an unknown at AD about to determine the fate of our University for the next few decades.

I agree with some of the complaints with Cobb, but I'm very glad he's still here and will be making the hire.

What can we truly put on Cobb's shoulders? Basketball Hires? Mens..... certainly not.... Womens..... okay I can give him Darcy... But what else? I'm not saying he's not doing anything, I'm just saying can we really say he gives his all to ASU?? Not with an eye on bigger jobs...

AppAlum2003
December 2nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
I agree to some extent.

As much as I want to remain optimistic about the hire, Cobb sure has looked weak managing the MBB situation.

PhillyApp1
December 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
PBR-I think you are smelling the wrong rat.....As much as I respect Coach Moore , his wife , and ALL he has done for this university....He is not "entitled" to dictate anything when he over and over, put the university at risk by allowing his son who has a serious problem, to continue acting like a child. His son continues to do so even after last year. It is up to coach Moore to make the decisions that allow him to retire honorably. My smell says, coach Moore has had a grudge since the day Mr. Cobb had to confront him about Chris Moore's repeated behavior that led to his dismissle. Mr. Cobb is doing NOTHING that Chancellor Peacock and others have directed him to do. Coach Moore needs to be the honorable man he has shown to be in the past and thank APP State for the oppportunity to succeed at job he loved for 24 years. I smell entitlement and grudge that is very unfortunate. Paterno and Bowden had the same problem.

pbr1893
December 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
go back to philly...you yankee...;) and pull for villanova...or whoever else is up there....

Bisonoline
December 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
PBR-I think you are smelling the wrong rat.....As much as I respect Coach Moore , his wife , and ALL he has done for this university....He is not "entitled" to dictate anything when he over and over, put the university at risk by allowing his son who has a serious problem, to continue acting like a child. His son continues to do so even after last year. It is up to coach Moore to make the decisions that allow him to retire honorably. My smell says, coach Moore has had a grudge since the day Mr. Cobb had to confront him about Chris Moore's repeated behavior that led to his dismissle. Mr. Cobb is doing NOTHING that Chancellor Peacock and others have directed him to do. Coach Moore needs to be the honorable man he has shown to be in the past and thank APP State for the oppportunity to succeed at job he loved for 24 years. I smell entitlement and grudge that is very unfortunate. Paterno and Bowden had the same problem.

Please explain.

ASU_Fanatic
December 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
Wonder if there's any truth that maybe we've accepted an FBS invite and won't be playoff-eligible next year which Moore didn't like so that's where they were disagreeing. I doubt this is the case, but one can hope.

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM

The Coach Moore you're describing is not the Coach Moore I know... As far as his son is concerned... Cobb had to approve that in the first place as well...

PhillyApp1
December 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM
damm...how do i respond to that......but, your nose is way off and need a good blow to clear it up !!! ;-)

PhillyApp1
December 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
The Coach Moore you're describing is not the Coach Moore I know... As far as his son is concerned... Cobb had to approve that in the first place as well...

Nothing Cobb has done is without SUPERIORS nod......I also know coach moore is a good man but it is VERY well documented what Chris has done....ask any Boone policeman.

This is very much like Paterno and Bowden....both very good people who feel "entitled" to tell their BOSSES how long. and HOW they will retire.....

We also know that a group of players went to him last year about the offensive line coach and were told to leave if they didn't like the A-hole coach...Its time to move on and it is up to Coach Moore to make it look nice.

HappyHippie
December 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM

Wow

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Nothing Cobb has done is without SUPERIORS nod

So Cobb is a "yes man?" From what you're saying we don't even need an AD... Might as well let Peacock do the job...

Did Moore kick you off the team or drop your son from the roster? Seems to me that someone has a knife to grind....

proasu89
December 2nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
He accidentally spilled the bong water on his proof. Just a big brown spot now.

Sounds like you and I think we know who "Happy Hippie" is. xwhistlex

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
Wonder if there's any truth that maybe we've accepted an FBS invite and won't be playoff-eligible next year which Moore didn't like so that's where they were disagreeing. I doubt this is the case, but one can hope.

I doubt it, no way we could hide an FBS acceptance for more than 45 seconds. The media would be on it like a rat on a cheeto. In this day and age it would be impossible to hide a decision of that magnitude.

dgtw
December 2nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
Other than being a bad coach, was there something else wrong with his son? That seems to be what a couple of people have hinted at. Was his son on the staff this season?

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
Seems like everyone hide this pretty well for over 6 months.

ASU_Fanatic
December 2nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
I doubt it, no way we could hide an FBS acceptance for more than 45 seconds. The media would be on it like a rat on a cheeto. In this day and age it would be impossible to hide a decision of that magnitude.

Don't crush my dreams man. I was prepared to announce we're going Sun Belt and name SS head coach in the same press conference :/

'neers80
December 2nd, 2012, 10:05 PM
He deserved and earned the right to go out on better terms. PERIOD.

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 10:10 PM

AMEN. Coach Moore, as well as the fans that backed him through the highs and lows deserve better...

cbarrier90
December 2nd, 2012, 10:10 PM
Why is this athletic department so secretive? First FBS moves, now a coaching "retirement." Where was Coach Moore in that tele-conference?

I can't imagine that's an easy process for an AD, but ever since the FBS study this athletic department has been anything but up front with the fanbase, leading to he-said, she-said and speculation like you see in this thread.

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 10:13 PM

Cobb bent over backwards trying to give JM a good send out, he's been as respectful as humanly possible, and done the job he was hired and paid to do. They could have fired him after last years absolute meltdown, on and off the field, including his staff and son, but they gave him the chance to coach another season, and go out on an upswing.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Anyone think keeping this between the parties (remember it was three people in that room) that made the decision behind closed doors more than 6 months ago was Moore's wish?

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
I have to agree on that. Something doesn't smell right.

Still seems like a lot of splitting hairs. Cobb said they reached a decision, but never said Moore agreed to it. In the Sports Network release, Cobb said one person wanted one thing and one person wanted another and they just had to agree to disagree. Doesn't sound like consensus to me. Also odd that Moore was not made available for the conference call. If it was voluntary, seems they would have wanted him front and center. It all smells funny to me. With Cobb's disastrous record in hiring basketball coaches, he can't afford to have another blemish on his resume if he intends to move on.

The reason Jerry Moore was not at any press conference was that he was on his way to New York City for Monday's National Football Foundation dinner (of which I was invited, but won't be around to attend). That was pre-planned before today. He has a former player who is being honored on Monday night.

Appattk
December 2nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
The reason Jerry Moore was not at any press conference was that he was on his way to New York City for Monday's National Football Foundation dinner (of which I was invited, but won't be around to attend). That was pre-planned before today. He has a former player who is being honored on Monday night.

Thanks "C" for clearing up at least this little bit....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM

What better time to announce it, when you know he can't say anything?

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
Anyone think keeping this between the parties (remember it was three people in that room) that made the decision behind closed doors more than 6 months ago was Moore's wish?

Yes.

What great publicity would it have been to announce JM's retirement. They'd have honored him on the field, first game or last pregame. Newspaper stories, parades, changing of the guard.

Dont think the athletic dept would have missed a great story like that if it wasnt for JM's wish.

citdog
December 2nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
to New York City .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxnieYctVM

PhillyApp1
December 2nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
no ax to grind .... APP State is changing.....new conference, new coach, higher seat prices, higher Yosef donations.....get used to it !

Please read my whole statement, I think coach Moore has done many great things for many people BUT he has had choices over the past few years that would not have shown him in a good light yet he continues to be passive aggressive in his retirement process. Please don't take my words for it, READ all the documented issues over the last several years, they are FACT.

I wish Coach Moore would come out and hug Cobb and Peacock and thank everyone for the great ride he has had at APP State for 24 years.....I guarrantee you Cobb and Peacock want to CELEBRATE Coach Moore and something else has gotten in the way. ;-)

'neers80
December 2nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Cobb bent over backwards trying to give JM a good send out, he's been as respectful as humanly possible, and done the job he was hired and paid to do. They could have fired him after last years absolute meltdown, on and off the field, including his staff and son, but they gave him the chance to coach another season, and go out on an upswing.

1. They could have fired him in 2004 or any subsequent year as well - it was fortuitous that they didn't
2. He wins - a fan base not satisfied with the results on the field esp winning a conference with a young team will never be satisfied
3. It is obviously clear that you believe that his son is a primary reason that he should be let go - Chris is gone & should have no bearing on the present decision
4. It is not justifiable to handle the situation the way it has been handled. He deserves a better exit.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
Anyone have that jump to conclusions mat from Office Space? Let's wait and hear from Coach Moore.

PhillyApp1
December 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
1. They could have fired him in 2004 or any subsequent year as well - it was fortuitous that they didn't
2. He wins - a fan base not satisfied with the results on the field esp winning a conference with a young team will never be satisfied
3. It is obviously clear that you believe that his son is a primary reason that he should be let go - Chris is gone & should have no bearing on the present decision
4. It is not justifiable to handle the situation the way it has been handled. He deserves a better exit.

I think we all agree with you , he deserves a better send off but coach Moore had an effect on this and APP State is changing very fast.
WE ALL COACH MOORE TO GET THE CELEBRATION HE DESERVES !!!

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 10:36 PM

1. Jerry Moore changed to the Spread offense because he knew his job was in peril in 2003, and he did it out of desperation, so in all likelyhood it was a blessing in disguise for him. No spread offense, no 3 NC.
2. The man didnt recruit an offensive linemen in 2 years.
3. Jerry Moore let his son walk around like a pompous fratboy and cause big problems with the rest of the staff with "promotions" and his sons arrogant attitude. If Jerry Moore had his way, Chris Moore would still be there, and I wont spread what else is supposed to have gone on.
4. Charlie Cobb tried to give Jerry Moore a ticker tape retirement. He cant help it if JM is bitter. Personally I thought JM was better than that, I guess we'll see in the coming days, is it about him, or is it about App.

'neers80
December 2nd, 2012, 10:36 PM
xnodx

I think we all agree with you , he deserves a better send off but coach Moore had an effect on this and APP State is changing very fast.

'neers80
December 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
1. Jerry Moore changed to the Spread offense because he knew his job was in peril in 2003, and he did it out of desperation, so in all likelyhood it was a blessing in disguise for him. No spread offense, no 3 NC.
2. The man didnt recruit an offensive linemen in 2 years.
3. Jerry Moore let his son walk around like a pompous fratboy and cause big problems with the rest of the staff with "promotions" and his sons arrogant attitude. If Jerry Moore had his way, Chris Moore would still be there, and I wont spread what else is supposed to have gone on.
4. Charlie Cobb tried to give Jerry Moore a ticker tape retirement. He cant help it if JM is bitter. Personally I thought JM was better than that, I guess we'll see in the coming days, is it about him, or is it about App.

Look - I'm glad you're happy with how this is turning out, but we disagree.

1. He won
2. He did it the right way
3. Chris Moore is OLD news
4. Coach isn't a bitter person & you have no right to label him as such

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM

You cant give him what he wont take.

He may just need time for it to sink in, we'll see, but all of the speculative conspiracy theory garbage is BS.

Cobb did his darndest to do whats best for App, and to honor a damn good man.

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
How old is Jerry?

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Look - I'm glad you're happy with how this is turning out, but we disagree.

1. He won
2. He did it the right way
3. Chris Moore is OLD news
4. Coach isn't a bitter person & you have no right to label him as such

And Charlie Cobb did his job the right way. Jerry Moore repeatedly stated he wanted no part of FBS. We're headed FBS. We're lucky chris moore WASNT news. I have just as right to speculate about JM as you do Charlie Cobb.

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM
How old is Jerry?

73 or 74. Born in 39 I think.

'neers80
December 2nd, 2012, 10:50 PM
And Charlie Cobb did his job the right way. Jerry Moore repeatedly stated he wanted no part of FBS. We're headed FBS. We're lucky chris moore WASNT news. I have just as right to speculate about JM as you do Charlie Cobb.

You must have a thing for Chris Moore man. I didn't speculate or label Charlie Cobb anything. I just said Coach deserved better & calling coach "bitter" is both classless & ignorant.

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
You must have a thing for Chris Moore man. I didn't speculate or label Charlie Cobb anything. I just said Coach deserved better & calling coach "bitter" is both classless & ignorant.

Youre ignorant if you dont know that Charlie Cobb has reached out in every concievable way. You say JM deserves better, yet you havent even heard from JM. Charlie Cobb and Ken Peacock are both good men, and BOTH agreed it was time. You insinuating that JM wasnt treated with the respect he deserves is classless and ignorant. Instead of bitching maybe you should just celebrate his career and the things he did right instead of making excuses for the things he did wrong.

'neers80
December 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Youre ignorant if you dont know that Charlie Cobb has reached out in every concievable way. You say JM deserves better, yet you havent even heard from JM. Charlie Cobb and Ken Peacock are both good men, and BOTH agreed it was time. You insinuating that JM wasnt treated with the respect he deserves is classless and ignorant. Instead of bitching maybe you should just celebrate his career and the things he did right instead of making excuses for the things he did wrong.

I apologize I didn't realize who I was talking to. If i had known you were an insider with the decision & subsequent handling of the situation i would have bowed out to your superior knowledge. You are very right, coach should have done everything with perfection, just like I know you do. And my debating you has shown my classless ignorance. I'm sorry Mr Onion.

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 11:08 PM
Apology accepted.

ASU_Fanatic
December 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
I'll really be able to ease up when I actually hear this FBS announcement

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2012, 11:32 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg

Wow, what a classy reply to my legitimate question. Sounds like the kind of class that got Moore forced out.

asujch
December 3rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Wow, what a classy reply to my legitimate question. Sounds like the kind of class that got Moore forced out.

really troll?

T-Dog
December 3rd, 2012, 06:48 AM
According to the Charlotte Observer, Jerry tried to ask for one more year on Sunday morning, but Cobb refused. Jerry's contract ended after this season (technically on June 30th, 2013 so he'll still get checks until then and probably will get a fundrasing position afterward).

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2012, 07:18 AM

Yes, a legitimate question... clear and defined trolling.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2012, 07:29 AM
Calling Go...Gate a troll? Now I know the App fanbase has lost its reason.

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2012, 08:20 AM

*sigh*

"just won back-to-back championships".... it was three in a row 5 years ago.

"going to conf usa for all sports".... sounds to me like ribbing about a lack of FBS invite.

GlassOnion
December 3rd, 2012, 08:25 AM
When you have nothing to do with something and absolutely no idea whats going on, you probably should refrain from taking a position or making a weird awkward comment.

Appattk
December 3rd, 2012, 08:39 AM
NPR reported this morning that Coach Moore was "fired" over a difference in opinion...

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
NPR reported this morning that Coach Moore was "fired" over a difference in opinion...

That's what you get for listening to NPR.

T-Dog
December 3rd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Oay, just finished this. Hopefully nothing breaks for at least a couple hours now so this remains relevant.

This week we look at the end of the Jerry Moore era, why Jerry wasn't available on Sunday, Cobb's history of hiring coaches, the ISU game which no one cares about now, this week in hoops and much more.

The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Secret Decisions and PATs (http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeesdap/)

walliver
December 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM

ODU is playing this weekend, so I doubt that an invitation keeps a team out of the playoffs.

Apphole
December 3rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Satterfield is a great OC, but I don't like the idea of him at HC. He's the chess master and needs to stay in the coaching box moving the pieces.

We need new blood at App State. Someone that will come in and run their system to perfection and preferably someone who will have no qualms with cleaning certain areas of the house (ie the defensive coaching staff). I'd also love to get someone with FBS experience and FBS recruiting connections.

AshevilleApp2
December 3rd, 2012, 10:23 AM

Agreed. I've read Go..Gate's posts for some time now, and always have found him to be a class act. Folks are a bit too sensitive today.

WataugaDave
December 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM

According to Mr. C this was a "dumb statement."

If I had the time I'd gladly dig up tweets and even an article from the Winston-Salem Journal based entirely on rumors. But apparently it was dumb of me to accept their tweet as anything but indelible truth before it had come from any official sources.

Cleets
December 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
I'd also love to get someone with FBS experience and FBS recruiting connections.

Be careful there...
The FBS guys are used to having it their way 100%
And the players react to that entitlement culture / Montana got what they hired / Small towns don't take to FBS style programs too well / Very disruptive
Turning App State into Miami circa 1995 is dangerous / Consider Recent events at Montana as a cautionary tale

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Agreed. I've read Go..Gate's posts for some time now, and always have found him to be a class act. Folks are a bit too sensitive today.

No, you're right. I apologize Go...Gate. I am being too sensitive. Rough weekend... my pro team lost on Sunday too.

Apphole
December 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
No, you're right. I apologize Go...Gate. I am being too sensitive. Rough weekend... my pro team lost on Sunday too.

Assuming your pro team is the same as my pro team, no surprise there. Even to the F'ing Chiefs.

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Assuming your pro team is the same as my pro team, no surprise there. Even to the F'ing Chiefs.

Even worse, my team is in the playoff hunt and let Russell Freakin' Wilson run all over them. They'll make the playoffs but get bounced in the first round, just like ASU.

Appaholic
December 3rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
damm...how do i respond to that......but, your nose is way off and need a good blow to clear it up !!! ;-)

What does that mean? I don't get it.....you lost me.....

Mattymc727
December 3rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
I must have it made, almost every Sunday I get to watch the Pats win. Another year, another division title, yawn....

ASU_Fanatic
December 3rd, 2012, 11:48 AM

Good. This assures Rivera is getting canned and at this point we just need to help our draft pick

ASU_Fanatic
December 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Scott Satterfield is the only guy I want for App

Apphole
December 3rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
Even worse, my team is in the playoff hunt and let Russell Freakin' Wilson run all over them. They'll make the playoffs but get bounced in the first round, just like ASU.

Oh that team. The team whose defense got me a big fat -1 in fantasy this week.

boogereagle
December 3rd, 2012, 12:49 PM

"of which I was invited?"
Shouldn't that be ... "to which I was invited."

Anyway, I agree with those posters who say Moore earned right to go out on his own terms. One of best-ever in I-AA and the SoCon.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2012, 07:03 PM

Apology accepted. Maybe I needed to do a little more homework on ASU's recent records.

Always sorry to see when a distinguished coach gets shown the door.

citdog
December 3rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Gate is not a troll. he's a yankee lawyer who ISN'T a joo.......meaning he probably sucks. xlolx

he's been a good poster on here for almost a decade.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Gate is not a troll. he's a yankee lawyer who ISN'T a joo.......meaning he probably sucks. xlolx

Early best wishes to you and your family for a Happy Hanukkah, Citdog!

OL FU
December 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM

I knew one good yankee lawyer that wasn't jewishxnodx

:)

BigApp
December 3rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
AFTER we won Championships... A monkey with a phone could've doubled revenue after winning the championships...

He LUCKED into this situation...

His immediate predecessor couldn't have, and wouldn't have.

Saint3333
December 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
BigApp some of these App fans don't remind the type of leadership we had before Cobb.

BigApp
December 3rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
BigApp some of these App fans don't remind the type of leadership we had before Cobb.

Saint, even Wikipedia isn't that loose with the definition of "leadership" xsmiley_wix

theasushow
December 3rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Tons of rumors on social media that Elliott is the man...apparently USC is getting nervous.

PhillyApp1
December 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
What does that mean? I don't get it.....you lost me.....

it means his idea that Cobb ran coach Moore out on a rail is wrong...coach Moore has had many options in the past few years and App State is moving ahead ...the deal was done last year ...nothing evil or nasty.

PhillyApp1
December 3rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Apology accepted. Maybe I needed to do a little more homework on ASU's recent records.

Always sorry to see when a distinguished coach gets shown the door.

Its sad because he chose to have it that way....he made choices and should not be entitled .

He should say thanks for the great 24 years and continue to love the place and people who love him.

BullDog85
December 3rd, 2012, 10:40 PM
Good luck to Coach Moore. It takes a good HC to put together the pieces to have a winning program and he's done it for a nice long time. Hope Appy's new HC turns out to be just like GSU's HC's after Erk retired...:D

AppMan
December 4th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Satterfield is a great OC, but I don't like the idea of him at HC. He's the chess master and needs to stay in the coaching box moving the pieces.

We need new blood at App State. Someone that will come in and run their system to perfection and preferably someone who will have no qualms with cleaning certain areas of the house (ie the defensive coaching staff). I'd also love to get someone with FBS experience and FBS recruiting connections.

You and I don't often see eye to eye, but I am in 100% agreement on this.

dungeonjoe
December 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Good luck to Coach Moore. It takes a good HC to put together the pieces to have a winning program and he's done it for a nice long time. Hope Appy's new HC turns out to be just like GSU's HC's after Erk retired...:D
Ellis Johnson is available.

Appaholic
December 4th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Asheville Citizen-Times took App to task for the handling of Jerry Moore in this morning's edition...

When Moore Is Not Enough

Legendary ASU coach deserved better

Graceful coaching exits appear to have gone the way of the phone booth and correct spelling.

In the “wht hve u dun 4 me ltely” world in Boone, Jerry Moore’s departure as a football legend was as clumsy as it was predictable.

After a 215-87 record, 10 Southern Conference titles and three straight national championships among 18 seasons in the playoffs on a 24-year resume that Mountaineers’ fans will likely never come close to seeing again, Moore made two mistakes — he got old and couldn’t maintain impossible expectations he created with his previous successes.

Moore wanted one more year, and he should have gotten it.

From the time of his official retirement age of 65 to today, Moore posted an 87-23 record (53-8 and seven championships in the SoCon) and was 15-6 in the playoffs, with three national titles, a last-second loss in a semifinal round and a quarterfinal appearance.

Can’t believe they let grandpa hang around as long as they did.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20121204/COLUMNISTS12/312040013/Jarrett-When-Moore-not-enough?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|p

Appaholic
December 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
And here's a nice tribute by Winston-Salem Journal's Tommy Bowman....

'Perfect Mentor': More than football, Moore taught his ASU players to do things ‘the right way’

Jerry Moore’s 31 seasons as a college-football coach will be marked by his 242 victories, and his 24 seasons at Appalachian State by a marquee victory against Michigan and three national titles.

But former players and associates know Moore, 73, as more than just a winning coach.

“He is a great role model,” said J.K. Reaves, who was a freshman on Moore’s first ASU team in 1989. “I took a lot of personal life lessons from him. He’ll always be one of my favorite people. All he’s done for the program, it’s sad to see him go. Football aside, he’s meant a lot to many players on a personal level.”

When the mother of David Jackson, ASU’s play-by-play radio broadcaster, died recently, Moore left a brief respite at the beach a day early to attend her funeral.

“That is something I will never forget,” Jackson said. “It meant a lot to my dad and I. But that’s Coach Moore. Very often, in a very uncelebrated fashion, he puts other people ahead of himself, whether it is listening to a kid that is having a problem or just going above and beyond what is expected. It’s always been more about relationships than a business to him.”

Campbell said: “All coaching aside, and he has a great legacy as a coach, Jerry Moore most of all is a great man. He made me a better man, and I’ve tried to emulate him. How I deal with my family, my friends and my patients all have a lot to do with him.”

Reaves said: “For players, the chances of going on to the next level in this sport are pretty slim. But young men need someone to look up to and be a mentor. Coach is that perfect mentor. The things that he instilled carried over to being a good husband, being a good employee or business owner, and a good citizen. That’s what you got from Coach, how to do things the right way.”

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_912e543a-3da9-11e2-a971-001a4bcf6878.html

Drblankstare
December 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'm generally of the opinion that Moore deserved to go out any way he chooses. If your in his class, which few are, that should be your choice. I do however understand that there is a point you have to reach with an older coach where you say enough is enough. If he truly only wanted 1 more year, he should have gotten it, but would he have really stopped after that? Tough to say, a lot of the greats have trouble walking away. I never liked seeing an old coach hang on too long because he couldn't bring himself to stop.

walliver
December 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM
If Jerry Moore was forced out and knew it a year in advance, that is fine. What bothers me is the way this thing was rushed. Why did the announcement have to come the day after the last game. After 24 years, would it have hurt Appy at all to give the coach a few days to compose himself and announce his "retirement" on his own.

I'm not arguing that he should have another year, because quite frankly I suspect that next year he would still want another year.

ysubigred
December 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Asheville Citizen-Times took App to task for the handling of Jerry Moore in this morning's edition...

When Moore Is Not Enough

Legendary ASU coach deserved better

Graceful coaching exits appear to have gone the way of the phone booth and correct spelling.

In the “wht hve u dun 4 me ltely” world in Boone, Jerry Moore’s departure as a football legend was as clumsy as it was predictable.

After a 215-87 record, 10 Southern Conference titles and three straight national championships among 18 seasons in the playoffs on a 24-year resume that Mountaineers’ fans will likely never come close to seeing again, Moore made two mistakes — he got old and couldn’t maintain impossible expectations he created with his previous successes.

Moore wanted one more year, and he should have gotten it.

From the time of his official retirement age of 65 to today, Moore posted an 87-23 record (53-8 and seven championships in the SoCon) and was 15-6 in the playoffs, with three national titles, a last-second loss in a semifinal round and a quarterfinal appearance.

Can’t believe they let grandpa hang around as long as they did.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20121204/COLUMNISTS12/312040013/Jarrett-When-Moore-not-enough?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|p

Meh! At least he did not go out like JoPa at Penn State xeekx

smallcollegefbfan
December 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Scott Satterfield is the only guy I want for App

As much as I like Scott he is not a top 3 candidate if CC does due diligence. There are a lot of names with NFL experience and coordinator experience in the SEC or Big 12 or ACC that have a much better resume right now. I think Scott is 5-7 years away from having the experience to be the definite HC. You would be surprised at the names of former App people. I watched your offense this year and while I don't think Scott was bad in any way I was not blown away thinking that he is a complete genius, either. I thought he did a solid job but he certainly did not blow away his audition for the HC job this year. I don't think he took his name out of it but he certainly did not blow away the competition.

I could name 5 guys right now with a better resume who want the job who have proven at higher levels as a coordinator or position coach in the NFL that they would be outstanding choices for the job. I'd like to see Scott be a coordinator for a few more years before I would stamp him ready for the job.

AppIAA
December 4th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I watched your offense this year and while I don't think Scott was bad in any way I was not blown away thinking that he is a complete genius, either. I thought he did a solid job but he certainly did not blow away his audition for the HC job this year. I don't think he took his name out of it but he certainly did not blow away the competition.

I think that is in large part because Moore would still veto play calls. The only game Moore allowed Satterfield to have complete control was the Coastal Carolina game. And well, our offense was on fire that game..

smallcollegefbfan
December 4th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm generally of the opinion that Moore deserved to go out any way he chooses. If your in his class, which few are, that should be your choice. I do however understand that there is a point you have to reach with an older coach where you say enough is enough. If he truly only wanted 1 more year, he should have gotten it, but would he have really stopped after that? Tough to say, a lot of the greats have trouble walking away. I never liked seeing an old coach hang on too long because he couldn't bring himself to stop.

That's entitlement way of thinking though and not really fair to earning your job. I think with what he did he certainly deserves to be treated a certain way but if your production on the field slips then I certainly think it is time to go at some point. Would you argue that Ray Lewis should play into his 50s even though we all know within 3-4 years he won't likely be playing at a high level anymore? Would you want JM to still have the job if he went 8-3 next year and lost in first round with a 6-5 season to follow in 2014? JM has gotten to an age where he really needs to retire. You get into the staying too long category after a certain point. Look at Joe Pa and Bowden. I wanted Moore to go out on top. He wont a SoCon title so I think this was a perfect time.

While FBS was not directly involved here, make no mistake that his comments about it hurt as well. Nobody should be able to just say and do whatever they wanted when it does not agree with their boss and expect not to be asked to leave. While I think so far this has not been handled right I do know that if ASU wants FBS, and Peacock clearly does, their chances are better with JM because of his previous comments.

I have been told by multiple people here that JM did indeed agree before the season to step down and wanted to change his mind at he last minute but ASU held him to his word. He was not pushed out last minute as this was something that had been in the works and was basically agreed upon by all parties. I don't think

JM is a human being like all of us. I know things about him that show what a great human he is and great coach. I know things about him that would make you say he is the best husband and father as well. With that said, I also happen to know some things that would show you he is flawed, some things he did in the last few years hurt him within the administration, etc.

The only person who was/is perfect is God. It seems like some ASU fans want to make him out to be God and that is not fair, either. Just like me and you he has great qualities and he has flaws. He is not perfect by any stretch. It seems some ASU fans are taking the extreme sides here and both are not really right. Some think he can do no wrong and has done no wrong but he has. Some think he has been a cancer to ASU and have been wanting him out for the last 3 or 4 years and that is not totally right either. There is a middle ground on him. I thank him for all he has done for FCS and ASU. App fans nee to embrace the next HC and be ready for what is going to be an interesting next 2-3 years of ASU athletics.

smallcollegefbfan
December 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I think that is in large part because Moore would still veto play calls. The only game Moore allowed Satterfield to have complete control was the Coastal Carolina game. And well, our offense was on fire that game..

I heard that and I do think Scott is a pretty good coordinator. I know of a very qualified coach who would want him as OC, name him the head coach in waiting (I'm pretty sure he would be willing to at least), and he knows Scott well. I want to see Scott as OC a few more years and then I'll say let's see him as HC. Some coordinators are not good head coaches and some average coordinators have become very good head coaches. Two different types of personalities are needed for those jobs. Would Scott be good at it? I think he eventually will be.

Just don't put Elliott and SS as your top 2 candidates without looking around the nation. The JM coaching tree and ASU tree in general is pretty darn impressive. You would be surprised.

One thing I'll mention about Elliott is that he has had just one All-SEC player in his tenure at South Carolina with it being an honorable mention All-SEC kid that was not even one of his recruits. His last two years at App they did not sign much on the OL along with the year McClain did not do much recruiting (that is why App has been thin there this year). The OL was down this year at South Carolina based on what NFL scouts and legit media told me. I saw them play a few times and I was not overly impressed with the progression of the OL. I think Elliott has gotten a little better but to me is just an average OL coach in the SEC and not top 5-6 yet. I'd rank him behind the Florida, LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, Arkansas, and Miss State coaches.

AppIAA
December 4th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I heard that and I do think Scott is a pretty good coordinator. I know of a very qualified coach who would want him as OC, name him the head coach in waiting (I'm pretty sure he would be willing to at least), and he knows Scott well.

Care to mention who this is?

texcap
December 4th, 2012, 10:28 AM
If Jerry Moore was forced out and knew it a year in advance, that is fine. What bothers me is the way this thing was rushed. Why did the announcement have to come the day after the last game. After 24 years, would it have hurt Appy at all to give the coach a few days to compose himself and announce his "retirement" on his own.

I'm not arguing that he should have another year, because quite frankly I suspect that next year he would still want another year.

The problem, as I have heard it, is that Coach Moore was already talking to people about next year. Without Cobb enforcing their agreement, Coach Moore would not have "composed himself and announced his retirement on his own." Cobb had to make sure there was no question about this being the end of Coach Moore's tenure. This is a difficult and touchy situation, but from most all that I have talked to or read that keep up with ASU athletics, the time had come for a change. Coach Moore was not the same Coach Moore from several years past and another year would have only exacerbated the situation.

All in all I think that Cobb did the best he could do under the circumstances.

Apphole
December 4th, 2012, 10:35 AM
The problem, as I have heard it, is that Coach Moore was already talking to people about next year. Without Cobb enforcing their agreement, Coach Moore would not have "composed himself and announced his retirement on his own." Cobb had to make sure there was no question about this being the end of Coach Moore's tenure. This is a difficult and touchy situation, but from most all that I have talked to or read that keep up with ASU athletics, the time had come for a change. Coach Moore was not the same Coach Moore from several years past and another year would have only exacerbated the situation.

All in all I think that Cobb did the best he could do under the circumstances.

I agree. I'm certainly not drinking the Cobb koolaid (if you know me from the MMB, you'd know I was one of his most outspoken critics at times). But I do think Cobb acted appropriately. Everything was laid out perfectly until Moore changed his mind and wanted more time. I respect Coach Moore as much as anyone on this planet, but it is time for him to go and all this fallout about his retirement/firing is his own fault for not honoring the agreement that was over 8 months old.

smallcollegefbfan
December 4th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Care to mention who this is?

Tim Horton. Unlike any other former App assistants he has coached 2 first round picks in one year and has consistently coached well at all of his stops.

From what a few in the ASU athletic department have told me, former coaches, and some alumni he should be the front runner. He loves Scott and would keep him on staff. Combine that with the fact he knows a lot of people with money who would instantly give to ASU such as Jerry Jones and many others. Horton has a very impressive resume.

Just go back and look at the ASU coaching tree. In fact, here is a list myself and someone else were putting together of former coaches or players from App with NFL or coordinator experience at a major college program. Mack Brown is on the list but obviously you know he would not go back. Just showing some of the names out there that have been through App State.

Stacy Searels
John Settle
Everett Withers
Shawn Clark
Shawn Elliott
Scott Satterfield
Tim Horton
George Edwards
Steve Wilks
Travis Jones
Ron Prince
Tommy West
Brian Jean-Mary
John Wiley
Lonnie Galloway
Ellis Johnson
David Reeves
Mark Speir
Sparky Woods
Ron Cooper
Mack Brown
Paul Johnson
Brad Lawing
Ruffin McNeil
Brad Glenn
Brad Ohrt
Rob Best
Blake Felt
Donnie Kirkpatrick
David Knaus
Mark DeBastiani

dungeonjoe
December 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Here is an article from Spartanburg with Ayers' reaction, his frienship with Moore, and some info on the situation
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20121203/ARTICLES/121209914/1088/sports?p=1&tc=pg

ASU_Fanatic
December 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Satterfield>Elliot. Sheesh

POINTMADE
December 4th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I think it is important top remember all of the good things this man did for this team, his players, his community, and all those involved. He should have been shown the decency to make his own announcement to everyone as a whole including his players. And at the very least to be present for such an anncouncement. I think that decision was just Tacky and cowardly decision on the part of CC. As if it wasn't hard enough to have just come from losing a game, now they have an extra blow of the fact that their coach who has been a staple to App State for a very long time and who is very well respected by his players, will not be returning for the next season. As far as anything else, some things are in the past and should remain there and are not the right of any human being to continue to dredge them up. No one is perfect and it is not the power of anyone here to judge! I feel Jerry has done amazing things and that is what should continue to be spoken of. We will never know what happened in the meeting behind closed doors leading up to this decision. I just feel if it was in fact a "retirement" CC would have let JM announce it instead of spatting off obsurdities and expect everyone to take his word on things! I just hope JM has a Press release soon!

T-Dog
December 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Not all great coordinators make great head coaches. It requires a different type of attitude. Coordinators who don't adapt when they become head coach usually struggle.

One good thing for whoever the coach will be is that they'll have a great support system.

GradBison
December 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Have a link for that?

Waco Kid
December 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Count me in as another supporter for Tim Horton. I've known him since he was an assistant at ASU in the mid 90's, and I can guarantee everyone that there isn't a classier, more dedicated, harder working coach out there. He is a man of great character and high morals just as Coach Moore was, but is more aggressive and would take care of any issues with team discipline. Currently he is the Recruiting Coordinator for the Razorbacks, and has been recognized by Rivals.com and ESPN.com as one of the top recruiters in the nation. He has an unbelievable number of connections all throughout college football and the business world that would be very helpful if/when we try to move up. Most of all he loves ASU and wouldn't be looking to leave after 3 or 4 years.

Check out his Bio- http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30722&SPID=2419&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=1104424&Q_SEASON=2012

Accelerati Incredibilus
December 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Count me in as another supporter for Tim Horton. I've known him since he was an assistant at ASU in the mid 90's, and I can guarantee everyone that there isn't a classier, more dedicated, harder working coach out there. He is a man of great character and high morals just as Coach Moore was, but is more aggressive and would take care of any issues with team discipline. Currently he is the Recruiting Coordinator for the Razorbacks, and has been recognized by Rivals.com and ESPN.com as one of the top recruiters in the nation. He has an unbelievable number of connections all throughout college football and the business world that would be very helpful if/when we try to move up. Most of all he loves ASU and wouldn't be looking to leave after 3 or 4 years.

Check out his Bio- http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30722&SPID=2419&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=1104424&Q_SEASON=2012

After looking at Horton's bio how anyone could think Elliot ot Satterfield should even be considered is beyond me. ASU fans need to get over the love affair with these guys just because they played for Coach Moore and were on the staff during that great 3-4 year run. People tend to forget guys like Lonnie Galloway, Mark Speir and John Wiley played key roles in that run are no longer available. They also seem to forget Elliot was the offensive line coach - and in charge of identifying line recruits - during the three classes of 06, 07 & 08 when ASU only signed 4 linemen in 3 years. Which we are still paying for today. The two '06 signees Orry Frye & Matt Ruff playued significant roles at ASU, but Chad Truner '07 and Storm Moore '08 never participated in a single practice at ASU.

cbarrier90
December 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM
After looking at Horton's bio how anyone could think Elliot ot Satterfield should even be considered is beyond me. ASU fans need to get over the love affair with these guys just because they played for Coach Moore and were on the staff during that great 3-4 year run. People tend to forget guys like Lonnie Galloway, Mark Speir and John Wiley played key roles in that run are no longer available. They also seem to forget Elliot was the offensive line coach - and in charge of identifying line recruits - during the three classes of 06, 07 & 08 when ASU only signed 4 linemen in 3 years. Which we are still paying for today. The two '06 signees Orry Frye & Matt Ruff playued significant roles at ASU, but Chad Truner '07 and Storm Moore '08 never participated in a single practice at ASU.

If I recall, Storm Moore had a health issue that prevented him from continuing his football career after he got here. I think he ended up being a manager and kudos to ASU for honoring his scholarship.

smallcollegefbfan
December 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM

The ASU people who are in the know have been wanting him ever since they began to see JM would not have much longer in coaching. Horton is about to become a big time HC candidate in the SEC and ASU could get him before a BCS program takes him and likely would keep him because as you said he loves ASU and would not be looking to leave. nd crazy thing is look at some of those other coaches I mentioned and you will see that SS and Elliott would not be in the top 3 or 4 of those with previous ASU ties. I also think people need to be open to names like Tommy Bowden, Kevin Higgins, etc. who may want the job.

smallcollegefbfan
December 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Exactly. I love Shawn personally because I have met him but he just isn't ready and has not done the wonders people thought he would at South Carolina. They have a very average OL in year 3. He doesn't develop lines like Ledford did with App's this year or Stacy Searls did before Shawn got the job.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2012, 04:15 PM
After looking at Horton's bio how anyone could think Elliot ot Satterfield should even be considered is beyond me. ASU fans need to get over the love affair with these guys just because they played for Coach Moore and were on the staff during that great 3-4 year run. People tend to forget guys like Lonnie Galloway, Mark Speir and John Wiley played key roles in that run are no longer available.

No to John Wiley.

Lonnie Galloway would be a good OC option.

Mark Speir wouldn't leave WCU after 1 season... and, even if he would... I'd hate to do that the the Cants.

They also seem to forget Elliot was the offensive line coach - and in charge of identifying line recruits - during the three classes of 06, 07 & 08 when ASU only signed 4 linemen in 3 years. Which we are still paying for today. The two '06 signees Orry Frye & Matt Ruff playued significant roles at ASU, but Chad Truner '07 and Storm Moore '08 never participated in a single practice at ASU.

That had a lot to do with Mark Speir requesting more d-linemen.

Ask people who follow USC football what they think of Elliott's recruiting.

smallcollegefbfan
December 4th, 2012, 04:30 PM
No to John Wiley.

Lonnie Galloway would be a good OC option.

Mark Speir wouldn't leave WCU after 1 season... and, even if he would... I'd hate to do that the the Cants.

That had a lot to do with Mark Speir requesting more d-linemen.

Ask people who follow USC football what they think of Elliott's recruiting.

I don't think Speir outranked Elliott at that time to where he could get Moore to go along with giving him more recruits than Elliott. If so, then Moore had more faith in Speir than Elliott, which would have said a lot. And I know that was not the case.

I have asked South Carolina people. There are some who are okay with him but there are some boosters who would like for him to go. The vibe I'm getting out of Columbia from the media and alumni I know is that he is okay but they have not developed like they hoped under him. By year three you expect to see a very good group and honestly they don't have one. The OL is the weak point of the offense. The only All-SEC player in the last couple years is 5th year senior TJ Johnson who only got 2nd team today because he is a 4-year starter and a name. He has gotten some 4-star guys and a lot of 3-star guys with no development. Shawn is a solid coach but he doesn't make an average player good or a good player great. He is more of a status quo type coach who is solid but doesn't take an average group and have them into a brick wall 3 or 4 years later. The SEC is a different animal and he's gone after smaller linemen in HS who weighed 250-275 and but that won't cut it in the SEC because you have to grow them and develop them big time and he just hasn't gotten the job done like App people made it appear he might.

I'm not saying Shawn is bad but he is getting overrated by a lot of App folks. I think he needs more time before he is ready and he needs to be an OC before he makes the jump from OL to HC.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM
A USC perspective on Elliott:

The Appalachian State football program is courting Shawn Elliott, offensive line coach and run game coordinator for South Carolina, to be their next head coach.

The first reaction in reading this news as it was first reported by TheBigSpur.com is ...."oh god, no." However, as I step back and think about Mr. Elliott and what he is all about, I begin to see how it is a perfect fit and I am happy for him.

Elliott got his degree from App. State, begin his coaching career in Boone, N.C., and helped the Mountaineers win three championships. I could see how if asked to take over as head coach he would say yes. And who could blame him.

If it does happen, I feel it would be a excellent hire by ASU. Elliott is a first-class coach that brings passion to the profession. Yes, he will be missed it he goes as he has made a difference at USC. But things like this happen to good coaches as talent is hard to ignore and when Spurrier builds a winning program, other schools take notice. If the Gamecocks are able to retain Elliott, we should rejoice as it would be a major step for the 2013 season both on and off the field.

Trust Spurrier to do the right thing. I am sure he will make it a tough decision for Elliott. Worst case and ASU snatches him up then I am sure Spurrier will find a quality replacement. Trust Spurrier.

Stay tuned for news on which direction Elliott goes.....

http://www.leftoverhotdog.com/articles/football/thoughts-on-appalachian-state-courting-shawn-elliott.html

Shawn Elliott also has commitments from 3 **** rivals recruits and has brought in at least one **** OL recruit every year he's been at USC. Not saying these guys will follow or that he'll immediately start pulling in **** recruits for us... but, he is a proven excellent recruiter.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=2663&Team=69&Sport=1&Year=2013

AppMan
December 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM
If I recall, Storm Moore had a health issue that prevented him from continuing his football career after he got here. I think he ended up being a manager and kudos to ASU for honoring his scholarship.

Storm Moore was severely out of shape and had a heat stroke during summer work outs. The young man almost died on the turf at KBS. He was rushed to the hospital and put into an induced coma because his kidneys stopped working. He recovered several weeks later and I believe transferred to be closer to home. Shawn offered three o-line recruits that year and all three had made public statements they were not considering ASU. One kid was from Daytona Beach and said he hated cold weather - signed with GSU. Another wanted to be an engineer and decided on Furman because they had a pre-engineering course of study in conjunction with Clemson who accepted them after finishing at FU. The third was a kid from Pennsylvania who said he wanted to stay close to home. Not sure where he wound up. We offered Storm 2 days before signing day and stole him away from Coastal Carolina.

AppMan
December 4th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I don't think Speir outranked Elliott at that time to where he could get Moore to go along with giving him more recruits than Elliott. If so, then Moore had more faith in Speir than Elliott, which would have said a lot. And I know that was not the case.

I have asked South Carolina people. There are some who are okay with him but there are some boosters who would like for him to go. The vibe I'm getting out of Columbia from the media and alumni I know is that he is okay but they have not developed like they hoped under him. By year three you expect to see a very good group and honestly they don't have one. The OL is the weak point of the offense. The only All-SEC player in the last couple years is 5th year senior TJ Johnson who only got 2nd team today because he is a 4-year starter and a name. He has gotten some 4-star guys and a lot of 3-star guys with no development. Shawn is a solid coach but he doesn't make an average player good or a good player great. He is more of a status quo type coach who is solid but doesn't take an average group and have them into a brick wall 3 or 4 years later. The SEC is a different animal and he's gone after smaller linemen in HS who weighed 250-275 and but that won't cut it in the SEC because you have to grow them and develop them big time and he just hasn't gotten the job done like App people made it appear he might.

I'm not saying Shawn is bad but he is getting overrated by a lot of App folks. I think he needs more time before he is ready and he needs to be an OC before he makes the jump from OL to HC.

It is a tad easier to court 3 & 4 star recruits to SC than it is 1 & 2 star recruits to ASU. Those types of guys can make you a pretty good coach.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM
For those who haven't seen it, here is the College Sports Journal analysis on Jerry Moore's departure:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/656-the-sunrise-comes-unexpectedly-for-applachian-state-s-jerry-moore

There will be articles on the possible coaching candidates for App State and a piece on Moore's career in the next day or so, so keep checking back with CSJ
(www.college-sports-journal.com)

smallcollegefbfan
December 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
A USC perspective on Elliott:

http://www.leftoverhotdog.com/articles/football/thoughts-on-appalachian-state-courting-shawn-elliott.html

Shawn Elliott also has commitments from 3 **** rivals recruits and has brought in at least one **** OL recruit every year he's been at USC. Not saying these guys will follow or that he'll immediately start pulling in **** recruits for us... but, he is a proven excellent recruiter.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=2663&Team=69&Sport=1&Year=2013

His first year there they had all their OL commits before he took the job. Many of those OL they have are guys who the ground work was done by Spurrier JR and Mangus. I will say though that look at Texas. Just because you can recruit good players means nothing if you don't develop them. Elliott has yet to coach an All-SEC player he recruited. The only reason their center got it this year was because he was a 5th year senior who was a name due to being a 4-year starter. He was 2nd team and only honored by coaches, not the media. His last two years at App with a poor job of recruiting on the OL and the fact that McClain didn't do well for a year have put App very thin on the OL.

I think Shawn brings great passion but he has not developed these 4-star recruits at South Carolina in to stars. I have seen analysts from ESPN and NFL scouts comment that the South Carolina offensive linemen are not being developed and aren't very good. Another thing to remember is the gushing over the Gamecocks he made when he took the job. I don't think he wants the ASU head coaching job because he loves ASU but because it would build his resume. He's a Gamecock at heart. I have heard him talk about how he is so happy in Columbia and loves it there. He wanted to be a Gamecock coming out of high school and he is from Camden so Columbia is home to him, not Boone.

I think he has coached one draft pick in his tenure there and it was a player brought in by the previous coach. Not one of his recruits has been drafted nor has he put a bunch of his guys in the NFL. Look at Daniel Kilgore who was unheard of while Shawn was in Boone and the year he leaves McClain developed him into a draft pick. He's a guy who weighed 279 pounds when McClain got him and beefed him up to 305.

I'm just saying that Tim Horton and others are much better candidates and Shawn has not been very good at developing players on their line. Look at their rushing game when Lattimore is not in the game. It is nowhere near as good.

All I'm saying is that some people have this love affair with Shawn and while he has recruited pretty well at South Carolina he did not recruit well his last few years at App and he should recruit well being in the SEC. He has not developed them. He's also a guy that I wonder if he has the personality to be a head coach. He can be pompous at times and I do remember hearing about how he hurt one of his own players pregame (Malcolm Bennett) from pushing them as they came out. I just don't think he has the composure to be a good head coach. He lets his emotions get the best of him.

I think Shawn needs more time because he's gotten a little better at South Carolina but I'm hearing from small parts of their fan base they would like to see him go because he has not lived up to the hype he had coming in. He is not ready to be a head coach yet but could be in a few years if he can learn to keep his emotions in check better.

Go read up on Tim Horton and keep in mind he has people like Jerry Jones and others with money who would call to recommend him. I have heard Tim wants Scott in the same role he is now and loves him. I think you would be surprised at how good of a staff Horton would put together and the names of FBS people he could court to ASU. Horton is by far ASU's best option and a guy who has great Christian values. He has also coached two first-round picks in one year before and has coached more draft picks in one year than Elliott has coached his entire time as a line coach. That says a lot.

AppIAA
December 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Have you heard if we are even looking at Horton? I would love to get that guy, but it just seems we aren't looking much past Elliott and Satterfield..

Saint3333
December 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Horton is in the mix.

AppIAA
December 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Horton is in the mix.

Good. But, is he in the mix only if Elliott and Satterfield say no? Horton, is by far, the most qualified man for the position (at least of those three). I am just worried that the ball is in Elliott or Satterfield court without actually doing a nationwide search..

SoCon48
December 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Good. But, is he in the mix only if Elliott and Satterfield say no? Horton, is by far, the most qualified man for the position (at least of those three). I am just worried that the ball is in Elliott or Satterfield court without actually doing a nationwide search..

You're probably right. They interviewd Elliott on Sunday afternoon.

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Shawn Elliott out.

https://twitter.com/GamecockAlerts

smallcollegefbfan
December 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Shawn Elliott out.

I said Elliott would never happen from the start. He had been telling people he would not leave because he loves where he is. Elliott is a Gamecock through and through. However, App never offered him the job and they aren't going to. I was told by a good source at App State that they talked to him but never offered him the HC job and he was never the big time candidate some App fans believed him to be.

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Shawn Elliott out.

Good, I was never to high on him for the position. I still think Satterfield is the best candidate, but I definitely like Tim Horton also. Wonder if Mario Cristobal could be in the mix? FIU were idiots to let him go and if he comes him and SS have connections, could get SS to stay as assistant

smallcollegefbfan
December 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM

I can tell you flat out based on the buzz from those in the know and with power around App that Elliott was not a top candidate. He was a name of 15-20 they had but his resume just doesn't stack up to what the top 3 are going to end up being.

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I heard John Settle is in the running? That would be awful

smallcollegefbfan
December 6th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I heard John Settle is in the running? That would be awful

John is a good guy and good position coach. What would be awful about him? I know he wants the job.

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
John is a good guy and good position coach. What would be awful about him? I know he wants the job.

Good position coach? Panthers running backs are atrocious and have given Cam ZERO help all year. I don't think he's experienced enough.

smallcollegefbfan
December 6th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Good position coach? Panthers running backs are atrocious and have given Cam ZERO help all year. I don't think he's experienced enough.

Go look at his work from Fresno State, Wisconsin, and other stops. He has had lots of draft picks. I would not blame him for the lack of support by RBs. That has more to do with playcalling and the fact their line is not very good. I do think he needs more time and I would not put him in the top 3 of former ASU players or coaches for the job so I agree. Just don't say he is a bad coach. He's had more draft picks in one year than Shawn Elliott has had in his entire career.

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Go look at his work from Fresno State, Wisconsin, and other stops. He has had lots of draft picks. I would not blame him for the lack of support by RBs. That has more to do with playcalling and the fact their line is not very good. I do think he needs more time and I would not put him in the top 3 of former ASU players or coaches for the job so I agree. Just don't say he is a bad coach. He's had more draft picks in one year than Shawn Elliott has had in his entire career.
I agree with most of this but it's a big jump from position coach to head coach. And App St is a unique place, that's why I'm on the Satterfield train. He was around for the glory days, he knows how we won those titles and where we got those players. I like Horton too, he would be an awesome hire. If those 2 are both wanting the job then Settle shouldn't even be in discussions.

dgtw
December 7th, 2012, 04:12 AM
With the changing of the guard at Arkansas, Horton could be looking to get out before the new guy cleans house.

Smitty
December 8th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Did not expect to come back from vacation to this. Almost similar to the Bob Waters situation, hopefully the same situation won't bite App (well sorta... :D )

cbarrier90
December 8th, 2012, 09:05 PM
With the changing of the guard at Arkansas, Horton could be looking to get out before the new guy cleans house.

Horton has been there through the Petrino fiasco and it's his alma mater. Methinks he's biding his time to get a promotion there.

Accelerati Incredibilus
December 8th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Earlier today Scoop.com reported Horton is the only coach being retained off the old staff. Tim is a favored son at Arkansas. Deep roots. Father retired earlier this year as long time head of the Razorback Foundation. Hearing interviews went down today. Should see a decision by mid week. ASU BOT meeting Thursday. Stands to reason the Chancellor would like to have the contract approved then.

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2012, 10:58 PM
If that's true than I don't who else it would be other than Satterfield