PDA

View Full Version : Keep doubting Southern Speed!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2012, 12:09 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist :D

penguinpower
December 2nd, 2012, 12:10 AM
Funny!

Twentysix
December 2nd, 2012, 12:11 AM
+10

Tubakat2014
December 2nd, 2012, 12:12 AM
This truly never gets old. And for those who disagree with me-

KEEP DOUBTING DOUBTING!

AppAlum2003
December 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
I hate you as a person... Not as a message board poster, but I hate you. Your bull**** team doesn't make the playoffs so you troll losing teams.

oh, and your "writing" sucks worse than you do.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2012, 08:01 AM
I doubt southern speed.

Sam_Kats
December 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
Ouch.

eaglewraith
December 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
In fairness, we looked much faster than UCA yesterday.

I wonder if it was the fact they were playing on grass and not used to it. Unfortunately for us, this is the time of year that we have to overseed the grass with rye for the winter...unfortunately makes it a bit slick. our guys were sliding around a good bit. I think UCA might have had some issues with that as well.

DSUrocks07
December 2nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
I hate you as a person... Not as a message board poster, but I hate you. Your bull**** team doesn't make the playoffs so you troll losing teams.

oh, and your "writing" sucks worse than you do.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meaww6eVTc1rtckano1_500.jpg

walliver
December 2nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
You mean crystal meth?

Bison56
December 2nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Dont doubt how slow the north is.

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
UNH and UCA dont doubt it. this is an argument that can never be won, because it's impossible to prove "speed". I am sure UNH and UCA and any other team that loses to speed will simply say they lost due to other reasons. (bad execution, refs, dumb plays, bad playcalling, etc.) but deep down, we all know why teams REALLY lost. I for one, dont have to hear them say it.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Yes, it is a myth.

6 straight BCS titles with a 7th on the way is just an anamoly. I expect Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State to win the next 7 to even things out.

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
UNH clearly didn't like Wofford's defensive speed....just sayin'

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
UNH clearly didn't like Wofford's defensive speed....just sayin'

Don't sweat it man....they know, they just cant handle the truth. "You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties....."

Bison06
December 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Are we really calling a team from Arkansas who plays in a conference called the SOUTHland a northern team?

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
North, South, East or West, I dont care where they are from, bottom line is they got beat by a faster, southern team with speed. As did UNH.

Bison06
December 2nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
North, South, East or West, I dont care where they are from, bottom line is they got beat by a faster, southern team with speed. As did UNH.

So are you saying that every time a team beats another team they did so because they were faster?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
So are you saying that every time a team beats another team they did so because they were faster?

When that team is from the South, yes.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM

Seems like what y'all are doing. xcoffeex

Bison06
December 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Seems like what y'all are doing. xcoffeex

Please explain.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Please explain.

Y'all seem to be saying that Illinois State is a faster team and won because of their speed and that southern speed is a myth-- based on a single game with a hundred different variables.

No?

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Yes, it is a myth.

6 straight BCS titles with a 7th on the way is just an anamoly. I expect Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State to win the next 7 to even things out.

I am still waiting on a explanation for the SOUTHeastern's non stop dominance over the rest of the slower, much slower country...but for some reason this gets blatantly ignored.

Bison06
December 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
No. It is the App fans/southern football fans who are saying that southern football teams are so much faster. I watched almost that entire game yesterday, I watched the GSU vs. NDSU game last year and I also watched parts of the Wofford/UNH game and I have yet to see a speed discrepancy between northern and southern teams.

Bison06
December 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
I am still waiting on a explanation for the SOUTHeastern's non stop dominance over the rest of the slower, much slower country...but for some reason this gets blatantly ignored.

They are better at football, not sure anyone is arguing that.

What they aren't is faster. I don't see how you can continue to make this claim with absolutely nothing to back it up.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM

They pay better.

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
They are better at football, not sure anyone is arguing that.

What they aren't is faster. I don't see how you can continue to make this claim with absolutely nothing to back it up.

and what do you have that DOESNT back it up? the fact that when you watch a football game one teams doesnt look faster in your opinion? this is a never ending argument, it is virtually impossible to prove speed/lack of speed.

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
No. It is the App fans/southern football fans who are saying that southern football teams are so much faster. I watched almost that entire game yesterday, I watched the GSU vs. NDSU game last year and I also watched parts of the Wofford/UNH game and I have yet to see a speed discrepancy between northern and southern teams.

and i see the exact opposite when i see wofford defense constantly stoping unh on the corners...

Bison06
December 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
and what do you have that DOESNT back it up? the fact that when you watch a football game one teams doesnt look faster in your opinion? this is a never ending argument, it is virtually impossible to prove speed/lack of speed.

Listen man, when it comes to making claims, it is the person who makes the claim to bears the burden of proof. I don't have to prove anything because you are the one making the claim.

Example. I have been to the moon, prove that I haven't. You don't know me or where I live or anything about me so you have no way of proving I haven't.

Bison06
December 2nd, 2012, 01:17 PM
and i see the exact opposite when i see wofford defense constantly stoping unh on the corners...

You have shown that you choose to believe the team that wins the game is faster with your comments about the SEC vs. the rest of the country. So it doesn't surprise me that you think the team that won the game was faster.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
The "Southern Speed" thing comes from the fact that many SEC teams transitioned to emphasizing speed on defense before other conferences shifted in that direction. The peak of this was the 2007 national championship game when Florida absolutely embarassed Ohio State... who had a pretty potent offense coming into the game... and then was held to 35 yards passing and and 47 yards rushing.

I believe the gap in the FBS is not as significant as it once was. Most other conferences have shifted in this direction. Notre Dame's defense looks every bit like an SEC defense. The SEC's gap now has more to do with perception, the arms race as far as facilities and coaches, and recruiting.

I don't think there has ever been a speed gap at the FCS level like there was at the FBS level.

GSUwinsagain
December 2nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
The schools up north are heavily recruiting southern players for skill positions. This started a few years ago after The Big Ten kept getting spanked in the bowl games. That is a fact.
So southern speed does matter, just nowadays it's not limited to playing in the south anymore, it is scattered all over the country. This is why it is more even than ever before.
Just like up north and in the midwest, there are these huge corn fed lineman that snowplow DLs. Genetics my friend.

Twentysix
December 2nd, 2012, 02:03 PM
The schools up north are heavily recruiting southern players for skill positions. This started a few years ago after The Big Ten kept getting spanked in the bowl games. That is a fact.
So southern speed does matter, just nowadays it's not limited to playing in the south anymore, it is scattered all over the country. This is why it is more even than ever before.
Just like up north and in the midwest, there are these huge corn fed lineman that snowplow DLs. Genetics my friend.

What position do Lebanese people play? You guys are ****ing idiots, lol.

GSUwinsagain
December 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
What position do Lebanese people play? You guys are ****ing idiots, lol.

You tell me where they play. I doubt you will find a Lebanese player. Are you going to deny that northern teams heavily recruit southern players for their speed ?

Twentysix
December 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
You tell me where they play. I doubt you will find a Lebanese player. Are you going to deny that northern teams heavily recruit southern players for their speed ?

Off the top of my head I have heard of these two guys named John Elway and Doug Floutie that are lebanese. Just pointing out how your ethnicity based football decisions are retarded.

GSUwinsagain
December 2nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
From Lebanon ? Really ? Not where their ancestors came from. You are a moron if your trying to make that argument. Deny that northern teams recruit the south for skill players ????

Twentysix
December 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
From Lebanon ? Really ? Not where their ancestors came from. You are a moron if your trying to make that argument. Deny that northern teams recruit the south for skill players ????

To quote your earlier post "Genetics my friend." That GSU education is really shining bright right now.

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 02:16 PM

I agree, but think it is much more prevalent in FBS, as the FCS doesnt have the resources to recruit nationwide. NDSU for example has 103 players on their roster, 70 were from Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the Dakotas. For ASU, of the 115 on the roster, 93 were from NC, SC, or georgia. I would imagine other FCS schools are about the same.

Vitojr130
December 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM

I will: NDSU's top two receivers are from MN I believe. Oh, and our leading RB is from IL I think.

Twentysix
December 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
I will: NDSU's top two receivers are from MN I believe. Oh, and our leading RB is from IL I think.

Minnesota, Crocket is the leading RB imo. Ojuri is from IL. Our most southern recievers are from IL and Kansas lol. Our top two corners are from Minnesota and Missouri.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM

Fastest player from North Dakota, Ryan Smith?

AmsterBison
December 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
hah! unbeknownst to SoCon fans, NDSU has been recruiting Antarctica hard.

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Can one of you idiots explain why growing up in the South makes one faster?

Lets all be real here- African-Americans tend to be faster, and the fastest and most explosive athletes tend to be African-American. If we doubt this just take a look at the US Olympic team, or every team in the NFL. Demographically the South has more Africa-Americans and far more African-Americans that play football. To be blunt being black in the most important variable here not geography. It is reasonable to suggest that teams in the South have access to more players with speed, but that does not mean every Southern team is faster than a Northern team.

Damm this thread is dumb.

kalm
December 2nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
To quote your earlier post "Genetics my friend." That GSU education is really shining bright right now.

xlolx

We recruit players from Northern California more than Southern California because they tend to be faster. But everyone knows that people from those areas are gentically faster than Washington kids.

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
xpopcornx

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
Also the SEC is so good because they just have better players. Yes, speed of course has a lot to do with it, but Alabama is so good because they are physical as hell as well as fast. They are a complete team.

The SEC has better players for 3 main reasons.

1- The best HS players are near SEC schools, and kids often want to stay close to home.

2- Over signing. The SEC signs more kids than they are allowed to, and push underperforming kids out of the program. Over a 5 year period an SEC school signs 20-30 more kids vs. a Big 10 or PAC -12 school. This is a huge advantage.

3- No standards. SEC schools let anyone in. Schools like Michigan, ND, USC etc. actually hold recruits to academic standards of some kind.

kalm
December 2nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
Also the SEC is so good because they just have better players. Yes, speed of course has a lot to do with it, but Alabama is so good because they are physical as hell as well as fast. They are a complete team.

1- The best HS players are near SEC schools, and kids often want to stay close to home.

2- Over signing. The SEC signs more kids than they are allowed to, and push underperforming kids out of the program. Over a 5 year period an SEC school signs 20-30 more kids vs. a Big 10 or PAC -12 school. This is a huge advantage.

3- No standards. SEC schools let anyone in. Schools like Michigan, ND, USC etc. actually hold recruits to academic standards of some kind.

So debate teams recruit kids from the north?

Bison56
December 2nd, 2012, 03:32 PM
hah! unbeknownst to SoCon fans, NDSU has been recruiting Antarctica hard.

xshhhx

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM

Vanderbilt.

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
Vanderbilt.

Has been to 5 bowls ever and never won the SEC in football. They lost to Northwestern this year. So yes the one school with standards has been terrible forever.

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
xeyebrowx They were 8-4 this year and 5-3 in the SEC and won their last 6 games. Sounds pretty good to me.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
xeyebrowx They were 8-4 this year and 5-3 in the SEC and won their last 6 games. Sounds pretty good to me.

And has the 17th ranked recruiting class in the country, atm. That's unreal to me.

GSUwinsagain
December 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM

True, that was not thought completely through before posting. I can admit that I really screwed that one up.
Being an Irish heritage all district LB does not mean all Irish make good LBs.
Heck, from your post Lebanese players make great QBs.:D

GSUwinsagain
December 2nd, 2012, 04:38 PM

Lets all be real here- African-Americans tend to be faster, and the fastest and most explosive athletes tend to be African-American. If we doubt this just take a look at the US Olympic team, or every team in the NFL. Demographically the South has more Africa-Americans and far more African-Americans that play football. To be blunt being black in the most important variable here not geography. It is reasonable to suggest that teams in the South have access to more players with speed, but that does not mean every Southern team is faster than a Northern team.

I was trying to tip toe around that, but that is what I meant with the genetics quote. You are correct, not all southern teams are faster. NDSU has a very fast team, especially on defense.

citdog
December 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM

http://footballjesus.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/jimmy-the-greek-jesus.jpg?w=300&h=223

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 04:46 PM

Ya, and they scored 10 points against medicore "slow" Northwestern. Vandy is doing very well right now, but they are by far the worst program in the SEC historically. That also happen to be the only program with academic standards.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM

One of the greatest Running Backs ever, Christian Okoye, was Afican Kenyan and not African American. That totally puts a big hole in your theory above.

PaladinFan
December 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
One of the greatest Running Backs ever, Christian Okoye, was Afican Kenyan and not African American. That totally puts a big hole in your theory above.

If you believe the folks in Central Florida, their kids are faster because they grow up running around in the swampy soil. Not sure if there is any truth to that, but there are some legitimate speedsters that come out of that area of the country. UF has a couple of guys that are legitimate world class sprinters (Didn't Demps win Silver int he 4x100 in London?)

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 04:54 PM

Northwestern was 9-3 as well. Vandy lost to teams with records of 11-2,11-1, 10-2, and 9-3 respectfully. Saying the SEC has no standards and that's why they're successful is an unsubstantiated claim unless you can back it up with statistical evidence.

PaladinFan
December 2nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Northwestern was 9-3 as well. Vandy lost to teams with records of 11-2,11-1, 10-2, and 9-3 respectfully. Saying the SEC has no standards and that's why they're successful is an unsubstantiated claim unless you can back it up with statistical evidence.

Vanderbilt would fare very well in other conferences. They are not a bad team, their schedule is just impossible.

Missouri was a pretty good Big 12 team, and they were massacred this year in their first go in the SEC. The Mizzou/Alabama game was as one sided a contest as I can remember seeing between two well regarded programs. Bama was tossing those guys around like rag dolls.

Wilson16
December 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM

One of the greatest RB's ever?????? He was just a flash in the pan like Icky Woods. Is he in the hall of fame???

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
The reason the SEC has won 6 straight BCS titles is non necessarily the speed, but the dominating defensive lines. 320 pound fast, quick and strong defensive lineman are not found in Iowa, Montana or Oregon. There was an article in SI a while back about DLs in the NFL and a disproportionate amount were from the South.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 05:09 PM
One of the greatest RB's ever?????? He was just a flash in the pan like Icky Woods. Is he in the hall of fame???

The Nigerian Nightmare was the best RB ever!!! :D

frozennorth
December 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
the sec has done so well because of dominant line play as much as anything else. Players also come in earlier with more experience due to spring football and more 7-7 leagues, and are able to contribute longer in their careers. Alot of the northern programs have reputations of excellent development programs, largely because they are not as well prepared compared to a similar southern athlete.

PaladinFan
December 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
The reason the SEC has won 6 straight BCS titles is non necessarily the speed, but the dominating defensive lines. 320 pound fast, quick and strong defensive lineman are not found in Iowa, Montana or Oregon. There was an article in SI a while back about DLs in the NFL and a disproportionate amount were from the South.

Combination of both, really. Remember back to that Ohio State/Florida game, and Troy Smith kept rolling out and trying to break down defenders with his legs. What was painfully obvious (and a big surprise to Ohio State) was that Smith was getting run down from behind by Florida defensive linemen. Basically took away a lot of OSU's offensive firepower because if their hesiman QB could not outrun the big DTs, he certainly wasn't going to outrun the backers and safeties.

PaladinFan
December 2nd, 2012, 05:15 PM
the sec has done so well because of dominant line play as much as anything else. Players also come in earlier with more experience due to spring football and more 7-7 leagues, and are able to contribute longer in their careers. Alot of the northern programs have reputations of excellent development programs, largely because they are not as well prepared compared to a similar southern athlete.

Hard to argue with that. See last night's SEC championship game. True Freshmen WR from Bama and RBs from UGA really looking like they had been in the system for years. Those kids are 18.

frozennorth
December 2nd, 2012, 05:22 PM

the sec and big10 are by far the two best leagues as far as line play goes. The edge goes to the sec ofc.

The sec is also winning the coaching arms race, another factor.

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 06:19 PM

What is wrong with you? That is one guy, who is also of African descent. Citing one example does not disprove a theory was never all inclusive.

How many white CB's start in the NFL? How many white RB's start in the NFL? The answer is 0 CB's and I can't think of any starting white RB's right now. When was the last time a white man won the 100 or 200 in the Olympics?

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM

Yes, but they lost to a BIG 10 team, and everyone knows the Big 10 is trash.

No academic standards = Cam Newton and pretty much everyone on LSU:o

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Vanderbilt would fare very well in other conferences. They are not a bad team, their schedule is just impossible.

Missouri was a pretty good Big 12 team, and they were massacred this year in their first go in the SEC. The Mizzou/Alabama game was as one sided a contest as I can remember seeing between two well regarded programs. Bama was tossing those guys around like rag dolls.

A&M was a crappy Big 12 team and now they are at the top of the SEC. Works both ways.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
What is wrong with you? That is one guy, who is also of African descent. Citing one example does not disprove a theory was never all inclusive.

How many white CB's start in the NFL? How many white RB's start in the NFL? The answer is 0 CB's and I can't think of any starting white RB's right now. When was the last time a white man won the 100 or 200 in the Olympics?

That was a joke.

Frank Tanks - Newsflash.......everyone knows black people are better athletes. You are not breaking any news here.

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
That was a joke. You don't think people don't already know everything you are saying? LOL

Ha sorry!

I guess not. Many think just being from Georgia instead of Michigan automatically makes one faster.

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
A&M was a crappy Big 12 team and now they are at the top of the SEC. Works both ways.

If they were at the top of the SEC they would be going to the BCS national championship.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Ha sorry!

I guess not. Many think just being from Georgia instead of Michigan automatically makes one faster.

No problem. The guy saying that people from south Florida are faster because of the swampy soil is a new one for me I will admit.

kalm
December 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Southerners run faster to make up for their speech.xtwocentsx

theasushow
December 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM

Corey Lynch was/is a pretty good Caucasian DB.
Patrick Blalock on the other hand.....

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
If they were at the top of the SEC they would be going to the BCS national championship.

At the top = among the best teams. You can't possibly need clarification on that.

frozennorth
December 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM

missouri was 7-5 the year before in the big12

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
missouri was 7-5 the year before in the big12

Note sure why this is directed at me, but Missouri sucked this year. They would've stunk in pretty much any conference.

A&M was 7-6 last year in the BIg 12 (I understand they have a new coach this year). My point is that a team came into the SEC and did pretty damm well this year.

frozennorth
December 2nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Note sure why this is directed at me, but Missouri sucked this year. They would've stunk in pretty much any conference.

A&M was 7-6 last year in the BIg 12 (I understand they have a new coach this year). My point is that a team came into the SEC and did pretty damm well this year.

for some reason i thought i was quoting the person you were quoting.

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 08:00 PM
for some reason i thought i was quoting the person you were quoting.

No Problem. Mizzou went from 7-5 to 5-7 in their first SEC campaign. The SEC is the toughest conference, but it's not like 10 win teams from the Big 10 and 12 would win 2 games in the SEC.

DSUrocks07
December 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
No Problem. Mizzou went from 7-5 to 5-7 in their first SEC campaign. The SEC is the toughest conference, but it's not like 10 win teams from the Big 10 and 12 would win 2 games in the SEC.

xshhhx That doesn't go along with the narrative. The SEC is the greatest conference that ever existed. Don't question it!

boonegoon
December 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
The Nigerian Nightmare was the best RB ever!!! :D

I played a lot of super techmobowl and that dude was second only to Bo freaking Jackson!

millwoga1
December 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM

They were 2-6 in the sec

Southern Bison
December 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
I was trying to tip toe around that, but that is what I meant with the genetics quote. You are correct, not all southern teams are faster. NDSU has a very fast team, especially on defense.

Great! Who told Jimmy the Greek about AGS?

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2012, 09:31 PM

How did Texas A&M do?

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
How did Texas A&M do?

They did very well obviously. Improved their record over last year.

Franks Tanks
December 2nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
They were 2-6 in the sec

I don't care. They also lost to Syracuse so they stink.

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
How did Texas A&M do?

Johnny Football.

seantaylor
December 3rd, 2012, 01:24 AM
First of all, the BCS game is not a national championship. Not even close. Kansas State would beat the brakes off both teams in the BCS game. As would Oregon. Rarely are the two best teams in the BCS final game. Very rarely.

PaladinFan
December 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
They were 2-6 in the sec

One of those wins was against Kentucky, and mon dieu they are awful.