PDA

View Full Version : SI Drops I-AA PreSeason Coverage

bluehenbillk
August 18th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Got my college FB preview from SI last night & for the 1st time I can remember there wasn't even a top 10 or top 20 for 1-AA, not even a hint of a mention, disappointing.

Purple Pride
August 18th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Or DII and DIII. No one was covered but the BS folks.:bang: xidiotx

Hansel
August 18th, 2006, 07:50 AM
no big surprise... their coverage was poor anyway

blackfordpu
August 18th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Yea, all they gave last season was a top ten I believe.

blur2005
August 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I guess they didn't have time for I-AA this year with the time they spent projecting the final I-A standings and bowl matchups.:rolleyes:

Then again, all they ever had was a top ten anyway. Nothing in-depth or anything. Plus, it was a good I-A preview. It does suck to not get any exposure though.

IaaScribe
August 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM
You guys have to understand that Sports Illustrated is writing for a mass national audience, and the mass national audience wants to read about Ohio State and Texas and the like, and not about Appalachian State and Delaware. That's not a knock on I-AA (CS), it's just reality. As one poster pointed out, it's not like they ever did a great job on I-AA football to begin with.

OL FU
August 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM
You guys have to understand that Sports Illustrated is writing for a mass national audience, and the mass national audience wants to read about Ohio State and Texas and the like, and not about Appalachian State and Delaware. That's not a knock on I-AA (CS), it's just reality. As one poster pointed out, it's not like they ever did a great job on I-AA football to begin with.

I understand and it is why I have not subscribed to SI in years.

I don't follow Ohio State and Texas.

Who won the "Poll" Bowl last year:D

blukeys
August 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Agreed, It's no big loss.

henfan
August 18th, 2006, 01:36 PM
SI drops I-AA. No problem. I dropped SI a couple of decades ago.

Go...gate
August 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
The end of a long, steady decline in SI's Division I-AA coverage. I remember when Colgate was their Division I-AA pre-season #1 in 1983, with some nice ink for the whole Division, in SI's national College FB issue.

GaSouthern
August 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM
very true, much the same as they dont want to read about UNT, Troy, MTSU and lower MAC / WAC teams.

catamount man
August 18th, 2006, 06:11 PM
The end of a long, steady decline in SI's Division I-AA coverage. I remember when Colgate was their Division I-AA pre-season #1 in 1983, with some nice ink for the whole Division, in SI's national College FB issue.

I remember when they picked us preseason #1 in 1993. Wound up 6-5. Talk about a kiss of death!:thumbsup:

btw, I'm still looking for a copy of 'gate-WCU from Nov.1983. Couldn't help me could you?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

IaaScribe
August 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM
very true, much the same as they dont want to read about UNT, Troy, MTSU and lower MAC / WAC teams.

Absolutely. Which is why such schools only got window dressing treatment.

catamount man
August 18th, 2006, 06:19 PM
BCS SUCKS!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

igo4uni
August 18th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Who won the "Poll" Bowl last year:D

Who cares?? We have a playoff and a true champion!!

Right Ralph?
:cool:

Calif_Colonial
August 18th, 2006, 10:20 PM
SI has an alumni of Robert Morris University on this month's cover. Hank Fraley of the Philadelphia Eagles. He is fighting to get his starting center job back that he has held for 5 years. NO Way, are they getting any of my money.

I'll go with the Div. I Championship Series. BCS or the BS still sucks!

:thumbsup:

Franks Tanks
August 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Yes they have come a long way since way back in 1989 when Lafayette QB Frank Baur was on the cover of the college football issue with Lou Holtz.

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/1989/0904.html

Mr. C
August 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM
The fact of the matter is that SI has become a shadow of itself. It's coverage has slipped every year for a long while. It used to be RARE to find mistakes in SI, because of the outstanding fact checking etc. Now it's common place to find errors every week. The football preview, like everything else, has gone down every year. This year, they did a terrible job on leagues like the WAC, the Mountain West, the MAC and the Sun Belt. Are they going to eliminate that stuff next? I have always enjoyed seeing who is favored in Division II and Division III etc. (even NAIA) and getting a feature story on those guys too. Worst coverage ever by SI. Does anyone know if they put any of this stuff on their web site?

Mr. C
August 20th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I remember when they picked us preseason #1 in 1993. Wound up 6-5. Talk about a kiss of death!:thumbsup:

btw, I'm still looking for a copy of 'gate-WCU from Nov.1983. Couldn't help me could you?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
Remember when they picked Grambling No. 1 a few years ago? The Tigers went out and promptly got drilled by a woeful San Jose State team (As a Fresno State alum, I still hate the Spartans).

Go...gate
August 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

How I wish I could. I have a lot of Colgate FB programs dating back decades, but never was able to get that one. Another one I wish I had is the NCAA I-AA Championship Game from 2003. I saw the first two rounds that year, but could not make it to Fort Lauderdale or Chatty due to work and holiday commitments.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yes they have come a long way since way back in 1989 when Lafayette QB Frank Baur was on the cover of the college football issue with Lou Holtz.

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/1989/0904.html

Exactly; didn't they rank Baur in their top 5 QB's nationally across all divisions that year?

SI really used to go the extra mile on all divisions. I remember the Heisman features they did on DI-AA, D-II, and DIII players. None of that in a long time, however.