PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to avoid injuries in football?

woffordgrad94
December 1st, 2012, 07:14 PM
In today's Wofford game the Terriers suffered many injuries, and UNH seemed to go unscathed. In fact, Wofford seems to suffer more injuries than any other team. Are the Terrier players doing something wrong that makes them more fragile? It just seems like out players are made of glass sometimes. Perhaps we need a new strength and conditioning coach. Perhaps our guys need to just take it upon themselves to get tougher and get into better football shape. There is a problem somewhere though, and this is not the first year this has happened at Wofford. What did some of you ex-players here on the forum do to limit your possibilities of getting injured?

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
In today's Wofford game the Terriers suffered many injuries, and UNH seemed to go unscathed. In fact, Wofford seems to suffer more injuries than any other team. Are the Terrier players doing something wrong that makes them more fragile? It just seems like out players are made of glass sometimes. Perhaps we need a new strength and conditioning coach. Perhaps our guys need to just take it upon themselves to get tougher and get into better football shape. There is a problem somewhere though, and this is not the first year this has happened at Wofford. What did some of you ex-players here on the forum do to limit your possibilities of getting injured?

Dudebro, of all of the injuries today, the only one that was significant enough to potentially keep a player out for next week was our OL who got a concussion.

Chill out.

woffordgrad94
December 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Sorry, maybe I am overreacting a bit, but I'm getting so tired of seeing Terrier after Terrier limping off the field all the time. It gets disheartening. We can't have this next week and still win like we did today. We must keep all our top guys on the field for 60 minutes to have a fighting chance.

GlassOnion
December 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM
The answer to your question: Dont play.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning.

Houndawg
December 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
Don't stop before you hear the whistle.

Franks Tanks
December 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM

To a small degree.

Doesn't help prevent concussiuons, ACL tears etc. Perhaps pulls can be prevented, but many injuries will happen regardless of how strong or flexible the player in question may be.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
Proper function. If players don't move properly it doesn't matter how strong or conditioned they are.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2012, 08:09 PM
To a small degree.

Doesn't help prevent concussiuons, ACL tears etc. Perhaps pulls can be prevented, but many injuries will happen regardless of how strong or flexible the player in question may be.

As you get tired, you get sloppy and that's when acute injuries happen.

walliver
December 1st, 2012, 08:09 PM
Sorry, maybe I am overreacting a bit, but I'm getting so tired of seeing Terrier after Terrier limping off the field all the time. It gets disheartening. We can't have this next week and still win like we did today. We must keep all our top guys on the field for 60 minutes to have a fighting chance.

The problem is that we frequently have overachieving smaller players giving 110%. They are just more prone to injury.

Franks Tanks
December 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
As you get tired, you get sloppy and that's when acute injuries happen.

I don't think so.

Acute injuries can happen at any time. That is just a cliche spouted by color guys with nothing to say.

DJKyR0
December 1st, 2012, 08:18 PM
Don't beat SDSU.

ngineer
December 1st, 2012, 09:16 PM
It's a long season. Few players are 100% right now. Sometimes it's just the fates catching up with you in some games, some seasons. Other years you get lucky. Very impressive game today against UNH. As the only "small private school" left in the field, you guys have become my favorite. Give 'em hell next week in the Fargo Dome!

taper
December 1st, 2012, 10:15 PM

Depth, depth, depth.

Injuries are a fact of life. On the field or off, hopefully they come back in the season, or at least the next.

Bisonoline
December 1st, 2012, 10:22 PM
One thing is you cant be worried about getting injured. Secondly you play all out till the whistle as you dont want to let up while others are still playing balls to the wall. Conditioning is a big help also. strength and flexibility is a key. Even with all that---players will still get injured.

cmaxwellgsu
December 2nd, 2012, 12:00 AM
The problem is that we frequently have overachieving smaller players giving 110%. They are just more prone to injury.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Wofford to me is the epitome of scrappy in football. Plus, I feel like option offenses put players at risk to get dinged up more often. Option QB's probably take the biggest beating of any player in football. We see in Statesboro too.

CopperCat
December 2nd, 2012, 01:07 AM

This. All day long and twice on Sunday. A good strength and conditioning program pays dividends come seasons end/playoff season.

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 01:10 AM
The film for Tarek Odom getting hurt today was kind of fishy....not dirty or against the rules, but still.....they were mad and a little liberal on their hits. One could tell.