PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern @ Old Dominion

Pages : [1] 2 3

ITmonarch10
December 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
Lets do this dance one more time GSU and this time you are on our turf.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM
I see two possibilities here.

1) GSU plays sloppy on offense and ODU wins 56-31
2) GSU plays good on offense and the last team to score wins the game.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM
I see two possibilities here.

1) GSU plays sloppy on offense and ODU wins 56-31
2) GSU plays good on offense and the last team to score wins the game.

Agree. This GSU team really just isn't great. We're "scrappy", but just too many holes and we haven't played well for more than 2 1/2 quarters all year.

I have zero confidence in our blocking and defensive secondary. ODU might beat themselves, but the Eagles just don't have it.

ITmonarch10
December 1st, 2012, 05:22 PM
Agree. This GSU team really just isn't great. We're "scrappy", but just too many holes and we haven't played well for more than 2 1/2 quarters all year.

I have zero confidence in our blocking and defensive secondary. ODU might beat themselves, but the Eagles just don't have it.

Our defense is crappy as hell and can't stop anyone on 3rd down. You know every simulator I tried has both teams putting at least 425+ yards on each other. Basically, its coming down to who has the ball last and who turns the ball over the most.

heath
December 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
100+ points,1,000+ yards and a great game. ODU wins by 7.

seantaylor
December 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM
ODU may have the worst defense in the history of the division. We will score at will. I like our chances.

md64179
December 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM
With app out of the mix, I'm going to say something I have never said before... Lets go eagles. Represent the socon

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 1st, 2012, 05:43 PM
ODU may have the worst defense in the history of the division. We will score at will. I like our chances.

Yeah skins, but we have to not turn the ball over and punch it in when we get close. Getting a bajillion yards and not converting those into points isn't going to do us any good.

seantaylor
December 1st, 2012, 05:57 PM
I agree. I really wish Monken would take the reigns from Brent Davis. Not sure what this guy is thinking on his playcalling and formations. And, Hanks better never attempt another field goal.

ITmonarch10
December 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM

Our defense isn't the worst in history ,but is most definitely the worse among the remaining teams by a fair margin. Besides poor tackling, I think its just poor play calling on 3rd down. It doesn't make sense how often teams convert on 3rd and long on us.

Ginsbach
December 1st, 2012, 06:02 PM

You obviously didn't see Idaho State play this year...

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM
should be another great game just like last year..... will GeoSo fumble it away because ODU wont stop em

GaSouthern
December 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
I really don't think we will be able to keep up with ODU's scoring... ODU by 10

GSU EAGLES
December 1st, 2012, 08:09 PM
I agree. I really wish Monken would take the reigns from Brent Davis. Not sure what this guy is thinking on his playcalling and formations. And, Hanks better never attempt another field goal.

I don't get running out of the shotgun if we are not going to throw it more out of that formation. It makes the dive less effective and they know you are going to run it.

Of course, any young coordinator that wants a promotion doesn't want to be stereotyped as an option only coordinator. that only gets you a job at a service academy.

seantaylor
December 2nd, 2012, 01:01 AM
That is the crux of it. I hate it. Davis clearly trying to not pigeonhole himself, but at the detriment of GSU? The shotgun stuff infuriates me. Especially on short yardage stuff.

elon77
December 2nd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Having just watched ODU and being a spectator of both teams, all I have to say is............ let the track meet begin. Keep your head on a swivel.

bullitt_60
December 2nd, 2012, 01:23 AM
Ugh... I like ODU and all, but I really don't want to do this again.

Eaglesrus
December 2nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
I don't expect this one to go well for us, but I plan to be there, anyway.

DJnva
December 2nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
Noon Saturday on ESPN.

Ivytalk
December 2nd, 2012, 09:25 AM

Hanks actually made one yesterday, didn't he? How many did he miss?

GATA_Eagles
December 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM

He was 1-2 yesterday

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Missed a chip shot 27 yarder

blueballs
December 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM

Made a knuckleball 40 yarder that left fuzz from the laces on the crossbar and missed the obligatory 27 yarder. GSU now has 8- count 'em 8- misses from under 30 yards on the season.

The problem is far from solved and may yet cost the team their season... BUT, IMO it is on the offense at this point to score TD's and not settle for FG's. The only time GSU should be settling for FG's is in a time crunch at the end of a half or game.

citdog
December 2nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
Missed a chip shot 27 yarder

kid has a good leg and is only a freshman. He will go to a camp this summer and next season he will be better. You probably only have yourselves to blame for not recruiting better so as not to have to rely on a freshman. There is no such thing as an easy field goal. A great many things have to go right.

Drblankstare
December 2nd, 2012, 02:03 PM
Good lord, if I was a betting man, I would take the OVER in this game. I'm saying 50-48 G. So

Eagle11
December 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
kid has a good leg and is only a freshman. He will go to a camp this summer and next season he will be better. You probably only have yourselves to blame for not recruiting better so as not to have to rely on a freshman. There is no such thing as an easy field goal. A great many things have to go right.

Seriously? Yeah, we fans should sit around and blame OURSELVES for not recruiting a kicker.

citdog
December 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Seriously? Yeah, we fans should sit around and blame OURSELVES for not recruiting a kicker.

if it comes down to it, and it probably will you can do this in the Crapsville Bar and Grill.

PaladinFan
December 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM

If I were Monken, I'd be lining up every willing body that wants to see if they can put one through the uprights. Doesn't matter what position you play.

asujch
December 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
The deciding factor in this one will be how the GSU secondary plays, if they allow the big pass plays like they did against App it'l be a long long day for the eagles.

swaghook
December 2nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
I personally like GSU because they run the option which used to be the meat & potatoes of NDSU football for many years. But not sure they have the D to stop ODU so as much as I would like to see a rematch with GSU and a good time with their traveling fans...I have to say it will be ODU moving on.

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
We will have to use the Villanova recipe of controling the clock which led to a 38-14 win over ODU.

Anyone know how well the option is at controling the clock?

gsu2583
December 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
...Let me check my...I have the figures here somewhere...

swaghook
December 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
33:16 for GSU and the triple O almost as good as NDSU with it's west coast offense at 35:42. ;) ODU might get by one team but can they get by both if NDSU takes care of business on Saturday.

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
If GSU wins this game and then loses the semifinals, Monken is officially the Andy Reid of the FCS.

CC Eagle
December 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
We will have to use the Villanova recipe of controling the clock which led to a 38-14 win over ODU.

This is the key to GSU winning.

Last year, the Eagles had a steady enough offense to get into a shootout with ODU. This year, the offense can be more explosive, but is also more apt to turn the ball over or be ineffective for a few drives in a row.

I don't think that the ODU defense is up to the task of shutting down the option, but its offense will likely win another 50something-40something firefight.

Best case scenario: GSU's offense starts out hot and ODU is just as helpless defensively as last year, leading to an early 14-0 lead. THAT's where the gameplan changes for GSU. Las year, the Eagles got up early and were confident/content to just keep on scoring as ODU was always behind. This time around - even if the option is opening up big plays - the Eagles need to just churn out 4-5 yards at a time and keep the clock rolling.

The best way to stop a potent passing attack is to instill the mindset that - no matter how effective it is - it will only get a small number of drives to prove it.

keller625
December 2nd, 2012, 10:05 PM
seriously? yea lets blame the kicker because our offense isn't scoring touchdowns. blame hanks... we have what, 3 kickers, and we play our best one. not denying he isnt that good this year but he isnt the problem, we shouldnt be kicking at all our problem is not scoring touchdowns.

Southern Swarm
December 3rd, 2012, 01:37 AM
seriously? yea lets blame the kicker because our offense isn't scoring touchdowns. blame hanks... we have what, 3 kickers, and we play our best one. not denying he isnt that good this year but he isnt the problem, we shouldnt be kicking at all our problem is not scoring touchdowns.

Honestly unless its under 30 yards and it directly gives us the win or takes us to overtime, we should just drop our kicking game. Boy howdy is it bad. We more likely to convert 3rd and 5(ish) than we are to make a 30+ yard FG. Even when we're inside the 5 I'd rather go for it an fail (putting them deep on their own goal line) than kick what for most teams is a chip shot but for us it 50/50 crap shoot.

Southern Swarm
December 3rd, 2012, 01:42 AM
If we can continue to limit the turnovers, and not let ODU break too many tackles on offense I like our chances. Don't see how it isn't a shootout regardless though. Our secondary has proven it can be vulnerable.

Eagle22
December 3rd, 2012, 05:48 AM
If GSU wins this game and then loses the semifinals, Monken is officially the Andy Reid of the FCS.

0-10-1
6-5-0
5-6-0

Total:
11-21-1
No semi-final appearances

vs.

10-5-0
11-3-0
9-3-0 and counting

Total:
30-11-0 and counting
2, possibly 3 semi-final appearances

Which coach would you take ? Is it better to get there and lose, or never get there at all ? I know this will sound quite condescending, but we've gotten to the semi-finals nearly 50% of the time we're in the playoffs ... and every single time that that happens, it impresses the heck out of me. It isn't easy to be in the final eight in any division, consistently. That is why I always laugh at those folks who attempt to diminish a team, as if there is some shelf life that expires and minimizes the magnitude of the accomplishment.

This is not a knock on Coach Ayers (because I respect the heck out of him), but the first record is his first three years as a D1 head coach, in the SoCon.

Might be just way too early in Monken's career to put that never-can-win the big one tag on him. Ayer's has had a lot of time to put Wofford into the semi's (happened just once), yet Monken has done it twice in a much shorter time frame.

While I see where you are going, I'm thinking your post is pretty far off base and it is way too early in Monken's career to try to draw the parallel.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 3rd, 2012, 06:57 AM

I'll go the other direction and say it's amazing that Monken and his staff have been so successful. Ga Southern football died for four years and was a complete joke in 2009.

I'm very optimistic about our future having another 22 scholarships and keeping Georgia players that have been going to Middle Tenn, Troy, Southern Miss, etc. close to home with the Eagles. I will miss travelling to Spartanburg, Greenville, and Charleston.

SouthernMan
December 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM

IF Mike Ayers gained some weight and grew out his moustache he would LOOK like Andy Reid. Which is about as intelligent as your statement.

blueballs
December 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM

You can't be serious...

If Monken reaches the semis in 3 consecutive years given the train wreck he inherited in December 2009 he should be coach of the decade in the SoCon. To reach the semis in back to back years (and to win consecutive conference titles/autobids) and follow it up with an elite 8 berth is mighty impressive in its own right.

Then you factor in the fact that Eagle football has enjoyed the best collective GPA and had the most players with 3.0+ GPA in program history under his watch and it is a no brainer.

#Big Picture...

gsu2583
December 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
You can't be serious...

If Monken reaches the semis in 3 consecutive years given the train wreck he inherited in December 2009 he should be coach of the decade in the SoCon. To reach the semis in back to back years (and to win consecutive conference titles/autobids) and follow it up with an elite 8 berth is mighty impressive in its own right.

Then you factor in the fact that Eagle football has enjoyed the best collective GPA and had the most players with 3.0+ GPA in program history under his watch and it is a no brainer.

#Big Picture...

Remember who you're talking to....

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2012, 09:26 AM
0-10-1
6-5-0
5-6-0

Total:
11-21-1
No semi-final appearances

vs.

10-5-0
11-3-0
9-3-0 and counting

Total:
30-11-0 and counting
2, possibly 3 semi-final appearances

Which coach would you take ? Is it better to get there and lose, or never get there at all ? I know this will sound quite condescending, but we've gotten to the semi-finals nearly 50% of the time we're in the playoffs ... and every single time that that happens, it impresses the heck out of me. It isn't easy to be in the final eight in any division, consistently. That is why I always laugh at those folks who attempt to diminish a team, as if there is some shelf life that expires and minimizes the magnitude of the accomplishment.

This is not a knock on Coach Ayers (because I respect the heck out of him), but the first record is his first three years as a D1 head coach, in the SoCon.

Might be just way too early in Monken's career to put that never-can-win the big one tag on him. Ayer's has had a lot of time to put Wofford into the semi's (happened just once), yet Monken has done it twice in a much shorter time frame.

While I see where you are going, I'm thinking your post is pretty far off base and it is way too early in Monken's career to try to draw the parallel.

Obviously, you didn't get the reference. The eagles, from 2001-2003, made the playoffs, had homefield advantage and lost in the semis 3 straight years before winning it (only to subsequently lose to the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX). If GSU loses, there will be a slight parallel. That was my point. It was a joke, said in jest. People on here need to gain a sense of humor about themselves and their team.

PS: don't compare Ayers and Monken because the situations they both walked into were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy different.

PPS:Mike Ayers has not coached a 1-10 season at Wofford. the record of his first 3 years was 5-5, 6-5, 9-3, after inheriting a team that had won 2,3, 4, and 1 games in the 4 seasons prior to him being hired. Let's reiterate the fact that Ayers took a 1 win NAIA team to be a 5 win D2 team in his first year.

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
IF Mike Ayers gained some weight and grew out his moustache he would LOOK like Andy Reid. Which is about as intelligent as your statement.

he looks more like Ditka.

PaulsonStadium
December 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
Where can we park? Can we drink some beers where we park?

Stonewall D
December 3rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
IMHO, this will be a shootout. However, ODU will win 56-35. GSU's offense sputters. ODU's defense is porous, but it can hold teams below 35. GSU's offense is a triple option and is run oriented. ODU's offense is pass oriented, but it can run. ODU's biggest weakness is its defense. Option teams just can't win shootouts against teams like ODU. ODU will score at least 50 points.

PaulsonStadium
December 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
Also looking for nearest liquor store to campus. This seem about right?

Total Wine
536 West 21st Street
Norfolk, VA 23517

gsu2583
December 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
IMHO, this will be a shootout. However, ODU will win 56-35. GSU's offense sputters. ODU's defense is porous, but it can hold teams below 35. GSU's offense is a triple option and is run oriented. ODU's offense is pass oriented, but it can run. ODU's biggest weakness is its defense. Option teams just can't win shootouts against teams like ODU. ODU will score at least 50 points.

Or, you could argue that you can't always throw for 500 yards a game, and that the ODU offense is overdue to sputter. Coastal Carolina is/was/now tied with a defensive rank of 96th in the nation. GSU is 29th I think. ODU is 82nd in defense. Going to be much more stout game I think. ODU is #1 in total offense, and GSU is #10. Much closer numbers there.

(abbreviated GSU game plan)
B-back dive.
B-back dive.
B-back dive.
QB-keeper.
B-back dive.
B-back dive.
B-back dive.
Cup of tea. Watch the tele...
B-back dive.
QB-keeper.
PITCH!
B-Back dive.

eaglewraith
December 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM

So I guess that 55-48 game last year was low scoring by your standards?

blueballs
December 3rd, 2012, 10:29 AM

Just remember this...

GSU has faced a far better passing team (UGA) than ODU and didn't give up 50. In fact, GSU has faced 3 pretty good passing attacks in the last month (App, UGA, UCA) so they will be as prepared as they can possibly be. ODU has not faced a ground attack like GSU.

Also, the option team (GSU) eliminated ODU in a shootout last year.

I've watched several games with both teams this year and ODU ain't 3 TD's better than GSU.... they might win but they ain't 3 TD's better. It should be a good one...

pike51
December 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Just remember this...

GSU has faced a far better passing team (UGA) than ODU and didn't give up 50.

I'm not sure I agree with this for 2 reasons...

1. I'm not convinced UGA has a better passing game
2. UGA was more balanced and didn't play to burn us on the pass every play as ODU will.

We will need a monster day from our secondary and D Line.

pike51
December 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
Option teams just can't win shootouts against teams like ODU.

So what happened last year?

DJnva
December 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Where can we park? Can we drink some beers where we park?

Parking garages on either side of the Constant Convocation Center are free.

PaulsonStadium
December 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Parking garages on either side of the Constant Convocation Center are free.
Any other rules for beverages in that parking area?

The Eagle's Cliff
December 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure I agree with this for 2 reasons...

1. I'm not convinced UGA has a better passing game
2. UGA was more balanced and didn't play to burn us on the pass every play as ODU will.

We will need a monster day from our secondary and D Line.

I agree. ODU will score at will and we'll have to keep up to have a chance.

elon77
December 3rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Also looking for nearest liquor store to campus. This seem about right?

Total Wine
536 West 21st Street
Norfolk, VA 23517

You can't buy liquor in Virginia at a wine and beer store, only in a state owned ABC package store. If you are looking for wine Total Wine is the place.

PaulsonStadium
December 3rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
You can't buy liquor in Virginia at a wine and beer store, only in a state owned ABC package store. If you are looking for wine Total Wine is the place.
Wtf Total Wine doesn't sell liquor?

PaulsonStadium
December 3rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Liquor socialism http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/09/liquor_virginia

Epic fail virginia

And yes I don't leave the State of GA too often. When I do.... I bring my own locally bought liquor.

deez_na
December 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Nice to see some solid games coming up this weekend. This is another game i'll be trying to pay a close attention to. Not sure who i would rather face if we win this weekend.. Maybe Ga So for another fun rematch, something about that high powered offense of Old Dominion that i just don't wanna see. This should be a great game.

bullitt_60
December 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Liquor socialism http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/09/liquor_virginia

Epic fail virginia

And yes I don't leave the State of GA too often. When I do.... I bring my own locally bought liquor.

AL and NC too buster. It's better than not being able to buy it at all.

On the flip side I lived in IN for a while and you can buy liquor at grocery and pharmacy stores. However, you can't buy cold beer at a convenience store.

DJnva
December 3rd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Any other rules for beverages in that parking area?

No tailgating in garage, only surface lots. The lawn in front of the Webb Center is open for tailgating to anyone but that *might* be a no alcohol/family zone.

At this link, there's a map to the reserved areas for tailgating: http://www.olddominionaf.com/membership/parking-and-tailgating.aspx

On that map, Garage C and D are free parking. There's more free parking back towards the baseball and soccer fields (near the yellow lot). Some smaller lots are marked (or at least they had been last year) as no tailgating.

I'm sure with a quick call to the school, you can ask if those unmarked lots are open for tailgating.

http://www.odusports.com/school-bio/oldd-staff.html

PaulsonStadium
December 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
No tailgating in garage, only surface lots. The lawn in front of the Webb Center is open for tailgating to anyone but that *might* be a no alcohol/family zone.

At this link, there's a map to the reserved areas for tailgating: http://www.olddominionaf.com/membership/parking-and-tailgating.aspx

On that map, Garage C and D are free parking. There's more free parking back towards the baseball and soccer fields (near the yellow lot). Some smaller lots are marked (or at least they had been last year) as no tailgating.

I'm sure with a quick call to the school, you can ask if those unmarked lots are open for tailgating.

http://www.odusports.com/school-bio/oldd-staff.html
Thanks for the heads up!

Eagle22
December 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Obviously, you didn't get the reference. The eagles, from 2001-2003, made the playoffs, had homefield advantage and lost in the semis 3 straight years before winning it (only to subsequently lose to the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX). If GSU loses, there will be a slight parallel. That was my point. It was a joke, said in jest. People on here need to gain a sense of humor about themselves and their team.

PS: don't compare Ayers and Monken because the situations they both walked into were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy different.

PPS:Mike Ayers has not coached a 1-10 season at Wofford. the record of his first 3 years was 5-5, 6-5, 9-3, after inheriting a team that had won 2,3, 4, and 1 games in the 4 seasons prior to him being hired. Let's reiterate the fact that Ayers took a 1 win NAIA team to be a 5 win D2 team in his first year.

I have a sense of humor. But you have to say something funny.

I got your reference.

First, GSU hasn't had homefield advantage throughout, so any 'slight' parallel you made is specious at best. And hardly the type of material that leaves folks laughing hard.

Second, I wasn't aware of these unwritten rules you have for making comparisons ... maybe you can list them somewhere xrulesx

And, regarding your PPS .... before you were likely born ... Coach Mike Ayers was the head coach at East Tennessee State, a team that used to play SoCon football. My point stands, and was as accurate as the first time I wrote it.

I put down the two coaches' records in their first three seasons as Division I head coaches, up for comparison. Both coaches inherited a team that went 6-5 the season prior to them taking over.

You jumped to a conclusion. It was wrong.

:D

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
I have a sense of humor. But you have to say something funny.

I got your reference.

First, GSU hasn't had homefield advantage throughout, so any 'slight' parallel you made is specious at best. And hardly the type of material that leaves folks laughing hard.

Second, I wasn't aware of these unwritten rules you have for making comparisons ... maybe you can list them somewhere xrulesx

And, regarding your PPS .... before you were likely born ... Coach Mike Ayers was the head coach at East Tennessee State, a team that used to play SoCon football. My point stands, and was as accurate as the first time I wrote it.

I put down the two coaches' records in their first three seasons as Division I head coaches, up for comparison. Both coaches inherited a team that went 6-5 the season prior to them taking over.

You jumped to a conclusion. It was wrong.

You're switching the context of the argument in order to make your point, and that doesn't necessarily work. Mack Brown went 6-5 in one season at App State, do you think he's an inferior coach to say, Pete Lembo, Charlie Weis at Notre Dame or an abundance of other coaches.

That talent level at GSU is a lot higher than that of ETSU in the mid-80s and of Wofford in the late 80s, that's both from an overall stand point and from a comparable to the talent they play standpoint. That's why it's not a fair comparison, so don't give me that.

Eagle22
December 3rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
You're switching the context of the argument in order to make your point, and that doesn't necessarily work. Mack Brown went 6-5 in one season at App State, do you think he's an inferior coach to say, Pete Lembo, Charlie Weis at Notre Dame or an abundance of other coaches.

That talent level at GSU is a lot higher than that of ETSU in the mid-80s and of Wofford in the late 80s, that's both from an overall stand point and from a comparable to the talent they play standpoint. That's why it's not a fair comparison, so don't give me that.

Let me make my point more clear then:

In their first three seasons in as a head coach, find me one not named Erk Russell or Paul Johnson who has done more than Jeff Monken at the FCS/I-AA level.

Bobby Wilder is about as close as it comes at this point, and he's still in search of a semi-final berth (throwing that in here to stay on topic, sort-of :D)

If you are going to retreat on the initial point you made about the coaching, and then place it on the talent level .... say that. That is switching the context of the argument.

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Let me make my point more clear then:

In their first three seasons in as a head coach, find me one not named Erk Russell or Paul Johnson who has done more than Jeff Monken at the FCS/I-AA level.

Bobby Wilder is about as close as it comes at this point, and he's still in search of a semi-final berth (throwing that in here to stay on topic, sort-of :D)

If you are going to retreat on the initial point you made about the coaching, and then place it on the talent level .... say that. That is switching the context of the argument.

Richmond's National Championship winning coach.

You're changing the context of the argument because you think what Ayers inherited at wofford or ETSU is the same as what Monken inherited at GSU. Talent level does have a lot to do with success.

Eagle22
December 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Richmond's National Championship winning coach.

You're changing the context of the argument because you think what Ayers inherited at wofford or ETSU is the same as what Monken inherited at GSU. Talent level does have a lot to do with success.

Monken inherited a team that had zero players on it with SoCon rings, or a single playoff game under their belt, and then proceeded to completely change the offense.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

seantaylor
December 4th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Monken followed Chrissy Hatcher. Almost completely destroyed the program. I give Sammy Baker a tiny bit of credit for throwing him out on his face after he hired him, but of course, he never should have been hired. If we had let Hatcher stay on for even one more season, we would have been in a complete free fall even if Monken was hired in 2011. Monken would have had us in the playoffs this season, but not last season.

Chuck Norris
December 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Monken talks about ODU game. http://soundcloud.com/gasouthernradio/odu-scouting-report

moosbah
December 4th, 2012, 02:17 PM
This should be a hell of a game. Really looking forward to it!

SpeedkingATL
December 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I predict 51-48. I just won't pick a winner. Good...luck.....Eagles...(damn that's hard to type).

straightshooter
December 4th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I predict 51-48. I just won't pick a winner. Good...luck.....Eagles...(damn that's hard to type).

It's OK. We've pulled for you guys before too.

eaglesrback
December 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Thx Man! I'll buy u a beer anytime your up near Acworth!

elon77
December 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM
This should be a hell of a game. Really looking forward to it!

I am also looking forward to it. Being a diehard Fighting Christian who lives near ODU I will be able to attend this good match up. I just hope the folks from the only true GSU don't bring any stink, gnats or ragged school buses that will ruin the beauty of Norfolk and The State of Virginia.

pike51
December 5th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I am also looking forward to it. Being a diehard Fighting Christian who lives near ODU I will be able to attend this good match up. I just hope the folks from the only true GSU don't bring any stink, gnats or ragged school buses that will ruin the beauty of Norfolk and The State of Virginia.

I'm sure you have that covered. ;)

PaulsonStadium
December 5th, 2012, 04:55 PM
We'll bring some Eagle Creek water and the gnats will infest Norfolk

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM
is this just gonna be a replay from last years game?

ODUwildman
December 5th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I just want to get to Fargo so I can watch the Monarchs live this year ... not easy when you've lived in Minnesota and Colorado for the first four years of their football existence. I've been to at least one game a year since they started up. Rooting hard for ODU and the Bison.

Then, when I get to Fargo, I can invade The Turf like I have for every July for the past 14 years.

PaulsonStadium
December 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM
What are the chances of Wilder sticking around much longer? I would figure he would be a nice OC at big time program.

eaglesrback
December 5th, 2012, 05:33 PM
What are the chances of Wilder sticking around much longer? I would figure he would be a nice OC at big time program.

Maybe he can get a job along side Richard Van Cranium. That would be a pair...

VBR_Productions
December 5th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Below is Monarch Nation's preview of the game.

http://monarchfans.com/articles/old-dominion-continues-playoffs-against-georgia-southern

PaulsonStadium
December 5th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Honestly ODU fans.... how bad are the seats in section 101? From the seating charts other people have posted it looks like we only get to see just the endzone. Is the visiting team on section 101 side?

Tribe4SF
December 6th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Honestly ODU fans.... how bad are the seats in section 101? From the seating charts other people have posted it looks like we only get to see just the endzone. Is the visiting team on section 101 side?

Section 101 is the home side. Visitor sections are usually 121 and 122 directly across the field from 101. The seats aren't great, but you'll at least have a good view of the video board.

DJnva
December 6th, 2012, 07:56 AM

In those sections, the higher up you are the better. It's not horrible. I've sat there a few times, on both sides.

And if there's something you can't see, the video board is showing live action.

ElCid
December 6th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Georgia Southern by 14. But only if they hold onto the ball, and they have outstanding ball control to chew up the clock, and they get some stops on Defense. OD defense is not going to stop the Eagles, no doubt there. If Georgia So. has nice long sustained drives, OD will simply not have enough time to crank the score. If Geogia So. has some bad turnovers or their D just doesn't show up and the scoring machine can't be stopped, toss up.

narc
December 6th, 2012, 10:56 AM
What I would like to happen: ODU's defense holds back GSU just enough for the offense to do what they do best and squeeze out a W.
What I expect to happen: ODU's defense remains incapable of tackling and the offense is unable to cover the difference.

PaulsonStadium
December 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Georgia Southern by 14. But only if they hold onto the ball, and they have outstanding ball control to chew up the clock, and they get some stops on Defense. OD defense is not going to stop the Eagles, no doubt there. If Georgia So. has nice long sustained drives, OD will simply not have enough time to crank the score. If Geogia So. has some bad turnovers or their D just doesn't show up and the scoring machine can't be stopped, toss up.

http://global3.memecdn.com/when-you-find-a-good-meme-on-the-recent-page_o_527270.gif

DJnva
December 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Shorter: If Ga Southern's offense plays well and the ODU defense plays bad, Ga Southern wins. HOWEVER, if the Ga Southern offense turns the ball over and the defense allows ODU to score a lot, ODU wins.

I kid because I care :)

straightshooter
December 6th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'm sure that both coaching staff have dissected every play that both teams run. They will have a plan that they feel will work. It's going to be difficult to stop the ODU passing game. It seems that they never get a holding call against them, and I can assure you that they will be holding Russell and Dubose, because those guys are relentless pass rushers. It will be interesting to see how the officiating goes in this game. Anyone know which conference the officials assigned to this game are from? GSU's best option on D is to keep things short and not give up the big long plays. That will slow down the ODU scoring and make them earn every yard. Interesting things can happen with a D can do that.

ODU will most likely start out with the defensive scheme that Central Arkansas employed in the second half of the game last week against GSU. They did slow the Eagles down a bit, but GSU shot itself in the foot to keep from scoring more than UCA shut them down. ODU will have to decide what part of the GSU offense they want to attack. UCA took out the dive and covered the pitch, but left the QB to do his thing. The result was McKinnon rushing for 316 yards. McKinnon is a very different athlete than was Jaybo Shaw, who was the GSU QB last year. Shaw ran the offense very well, but really wasn't a homerun threat with the ball in his hands. He was great near the goal line, but rarely had runs over 10 yards. McKinnon has 4.38 speed and can take it to the house on every play. The speed of the offense is faster this season because of McKinnon's speed. It will take ODU some time to adjust to that speed. If ODU commits the strong safety to the QB, as some teams have done, look for some GSU WR to be running uncovered and wide open for long gains or TDs.

Will be a great game. The crowd at ODU will not intimidate the Eagles. They tend to play pretty well on the road.

asumike83
December 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
If it comes down to needing a big stop late in the game, I think GSU is more likely to get it. Should be another exciting game like last season, I like the Eagles to pull out another close one.

seantaylor
December 6th, 2012, 11:48 PM
66 is going full guinea in this one. Eagles 58-31

Southern Swarm
December 7th, 2012, 03:51 AM
If we win the coin toss I say we defer. Momentum is probably going to the team that get's the first stop not the first score (of which their will undoubtedly be many, I'm sure I'm not going out on a limb when I say that.)

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2012, 07:47 AM
66 is going full guinea in this one. Eagles 58-31

I can tell you right now that we aren't going to be overly aggressive in this game. The way that Heineke can scramble and make quick and good decisions, it just won't work. I fully expect us to try and play coverage here.

Baldy
December 7th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I can tell you right now that we aren't going to be overly aggressive in this game. The way that Heineke can scramble and make quick and good decisions, it just won't work. I fully expect us to try and play coverage here.
True, I would imagine we'll be in a dime package all day.

The
December 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Unless ODU's offense isn't ticking at all, I don't think TOP is going to matter as much as some people think. Our offense is built to score in 2-3 minutes and we lose the TOP much more often than not. We had 48 points last year against GSU with a TOP of 22 minutes.

Regardless, if anyone thinks this game will be a blowout in either way, they're fooling themselves. This one is gonna be fun.

EKU-n-GSU
December 7th, 2012, 04:27 PM

S**t I'd just like to see one of our d-backs chuck someone at the LOS. We've got 5 yards to slow them down a bit, just like they do us. I'd rather we put a hit on them at the line of scrimmage, mess up their timing by a half-tick, and start running with them side-by-side than give them a 7-10 yd. buffer.

Baldy
December 7th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Unless ODU's offense isn't ticking at all, I don't think TOP is going to matter as much as some people think. Our offense is built to score in 2-3 minutes and we lose the TOP much more often than not. We had 48 points last year against GSU with a TOP of 22 minutes.

Regardless, if anyone thinks this game will be a blowout in either way, they're fooling themselves. This one is gonna be fun.
Agree. But I have this strange feeling that the game will be much lower scoring than everyone else. Kinda reminds me of the Auburn/Oregon BCS title game in 2010. The AU and UO offenses were the two most powerful in FBS and everyone thought the game was going to be a track meet. The final score was 22-19. Can't wait.

Blue Eagle
December 7th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Your opinion is worth as much as mine, but I have to disagree with you.

First, we have a safety, JJ Wilcox for those who don't know, who made the Senior Bowl!!

Where we may agree is the defensive schemes we have used. If we don't put presure on their qb our offense will have to score a lot of points.

If I were the defensive coordinator and it's a good thing I'm not I would not worry about the run except for their qb. I would have the 4 defensive linemen and at least 1 linebacker "pinning their ears back" and rushing the qb.

I would have 1 linebacker playing more passive & spying the qb until he gets rid of the football then concentrating on the ball carrier.

I would have the third linebacker, Stephenson, concentrating on the pass.

I would put JJ & Darius near the line of scrimmage and have them agressively playing their best 2 receivers as soon as the ball is snapped to disrupt their routes.

I would move our cornerbacks to the safety positions and have them play zone.

Well, you see why we are lucky not to have me as our defensive coordinator, but I'm "nuts" enough to think this would work because I believe we have good enough players to make it work, anyway, just my thoughts!!

As for as blocking I believe we lead the FCS in rushinng!!

A fact, if our place kicker had made a field goal from near the 20 yd line against the Citadel or made 2 of 3 from that distance against App St we would probably be the number 1 or 2 seed.

If we can't make field goals from that distance we are in serious trouble!!

GSUwinsagain
December 7th, 2012, 05:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sguc4UmIICg

Another great game preview from A.T.

Blue Eagle
December 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
S**t I'd just like to see one of our d-backs chuck someone at the LOS. We've got 5 yards to slow them down a bit, just like they do us. I'd rather we put a hit on them at the line of scrimmage, mess up their timing by a half-tick, and start running with them side-by-side than give them a 7-10 yd. buffer.

I just hope our DC understands this!!

Blue Eagle
December 7th, 2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sguc4UmIICg

Another great game preview from A.T.

Alan Tyson is simply the best!!

I love his previews!!

"GO EAGLES"

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

seantaylor
December 8th, 2012, 12:35 AM

And that would have exactly what to do with 66?

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2012, 12:41 AM
IMO this game will be interesting. with the exception of last week, GSU defense hasn't played too well, especially against the pass, with each of their 4 opponents having at least 250 yards passing

Baldy
December 8th, 2012, 03:42 AM
IMO this game will be interesting. with the exception of last week, GSU defense hasn't played too well, especially against the pass, with each of their 4 opponents having at least 250 yards passing
We also had to start a true freshman at corner those 4 games. Don't think that will be the case today.

seantaylor
December 8th, 2012, 04:32 AM
We have two sledgehammer safeties to put the hurt on these small receivers.

blueballs
December 8th, 2012, 07:13 AM
We have two sledgehammer safeties to put the hurt on these small receivers.

And that's a big key... can't let little plays turn into big plays with missed tackles like GSU did against App and UGA.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM
and with such a big game coming today you guys have to ask yourselves - "why are we talking about Delaware?" - you should be thinking about the ODU QB and about not fumbling the ball today, I see a replay of last year honestly

gsu2583
December 8th, 2012, 07:46 AM
and with such a big game coming today you guys have to ask yourselves - "why are we talking about Delaware?" - you should be thinking about the ODU QB and about not fumbling the ball today, I see a replay of last year honestly

Totally, since board posters are the ones actually playing the game. OUR LACK OF MENTAL FOCUS IS GOING TO THROW OFF THE TEAM!!!

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Totally, since board posters are the ones actually playing the game. OUR LACK OF MENTAL FOCUS IS GOING TO THROW OFF THE TEAM!!!

No, but looks like you guys are sweating this one big time

GSU EAGLES
December 8th, 2012, 08:07 AM
One point of note is that ODU is the only team remaining from the CAA, which included a bad loss to Wofford last week. The CAA is down this year which could play a factor in today's game.

gsu2583
December 8th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Ah, he can read!

Yeah just about all GSU fan-posters are. I don't think we have the gas to go much further. MAYBE to Fargo. There's only so much you can "talk" about a game anyway. Eventually a CAA team with a 5-6 record will pop up SOMEWHERE in the conversation.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2012, 08:08 AM
One point of note is that ODU is the only team remaining from the CAA, which included a bad loss to Wofford last week. The CAA is down this year which could play a factor in today's game.

CAA is very down, last year as well.... you just need one stop and you will win

gsu_paintballer
December 8th, 2012, 08:10 AM

I know right! We suck so bad that we might lose to the #4 team. How terrible do you have to be for that?

Settle Timmy try hard.

gsu2583
December 8th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I think we will need more than that. Personally I am just hoping Heiniwipe has an off day. You can't always throw for 500 yards a game..

GSU EAGLES
December 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM
66 for Ga Southern needs to have a career day. DL getting pressure is the key to the game.

MR. CHICKEN
December 8th, 2012, 08:22 AM
17338.....JES' SIT ON DUH ROCK......DRAIN DUH MICKEY....KEEP HEINY...ON DUH PINE.......MAYBEAH TOO HARD TA DO....AS BUTTERFLY D.....PLAYS...LIKE UH BLOCK O' SWISS......AN' EVERAH OPTION RUN......COOD BE UH LONG GAINER........DEY COODN'T STOP DELAWARE....TIL WE LOST PIERCE...ON 1ST PLAY 2ND 1/2....AN' WE WERE STILL IN IT LATE....xrotatehx...BRAWK!

spfootball
December 8th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Perfect battle of styles. One defensive stop could win it.

ITmonarch10
December 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I would be disappointed if this ended being a blow out either way like the Sam Houston\Montana St game.

1 hr & 45 min until kick off.xintx

Blue Eagle
December 8th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I would be disappointed if this ended being a blow out either way like the Sam Houston\Montana St game.

1 hr & 45 min until kick off.xintx

Interesting with it being on ESPN at noon with no other football game on until Army & Navy at 3:00 this game probably will have more
viewers than the National Championship!!

With their contrasting styles this could be a real showcase game for FCS football ironically, with both teams probably moving to the FBS next year!!

My prediction Ga Southern 55 & ODU 48 why not.....

"GO EAGLES'

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Baldy
December 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM
and with such a big game coming today you guys have to ask yourselves - "why are we talking about Delaware?"
Why? Because a Delaware guy brought up the Blue Hens in a GSU vs. ODU thread. xlolx

And, yes...I am sweating bullets about today's game, thank you very much. xblehx

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Mr. C is on hand at Ballard Stadium on an overcast, slightly cool day. Ballard Stadium is like an old lady who slaps a little extra makeup on her face to look a little younger. Should be a great crowd and everyone seems real friendly around here. We are little more than 20 minutes from kickoff.

gsu1moretime
December 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM
who the refs? socon refs suck so did the pioneer last week

ITmonarch10
December 8th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Mr. C is on hand at Ballard Stadium on an overcast, slightly cool day. Ballard Stadium is like an old lady who slaps a little extra makeup on her face to look a little younger. Should be a great crowd and everyone seems real friendly around here. We are little more than 20 minutes from kickoff.

Hey, She looks pretty good for a 86 year old lady. She just now getting her groove back. xsmiley_wix

Sam_Kats
December 8th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Got a buddy who is GSU alum so.....GO EAGLES!!

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:01 AM
who the refs? socon refs suck so did the pioneer last week

Big Sky, met them in the hotel last night.

Sam_Kats
December 8th, 2012, 11:01 AM
At least it's not just me, Caribbean. You seem to annoy EVERYONE. Congrats.

Oh yeah. 1-5

Baldy
December 8th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Got a buddy who is GSU alum so.....GO EAGLES!!
Strapped into my recliner...good luck to both teams. xthumbsupx

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Georgia Southern wins the toss and defers the ball for the 2nd half.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Saw some T-shirts in the ODU book store that proclaimed ODU as the real CAA champions.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Ba slight lines in the press box. We have people standing in front of us. Good kick coverage to close a hole. ODU at the 20.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Tyree Lee runs for 2.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Heinicke is hit by DuBose and the pass is dropped at the 35. 3rd and 8.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Vaughan with a post catch to the ODU 46.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Overthrow on the bomb. 2nd and 10 at the ODU 46.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Checking off at the line and ODU has to burn a time out.

GAD
December 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Nice crowd

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Turn in for Vaughan to the GSU 39.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Heinicke looked a little reved up on that pass out of bounds. 2nd and 10.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Dump off to Lee on good coverage to the 34. 3rd and 6.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Heinicke somehow escapes a sack and completes a pass for minus-8. 4th and 14. Going for it.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Heinicke is nearly sacked again, escapes and runs for a 1st down at the 19.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Lee sweeps to the 6. 1st and goal.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Pinkard catch on the bubble screen and is clobbered at the 2.

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2012, 11:15 AM
What a killer for Southern.... 4th and 13 I don't think they thought they were gonna go for it

Mr. C
Heinicke with the read option for the TD. Old Dominion 7, Georgia Southern 0. 11:03 left in the first period.

12 plays, 80 yards, 3:57 on the drive.

Mr. C
What a killer for Southern.... 4th and 13 I don't think they thought they were gonna go for it

ODU probably goes on 4th down more than anyone in the country.

GAD
December 8th, 2012, 11:17 AM
nice drive! now can GSU answer

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Touchback on the ODU kickoff. GSU ball on the 25.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Swope dive to the 27. 2nd and 8.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Swope big gain on the dive to midfield. Over 1,000 yards for the year for Swope.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM
ODU jumps offsides. It isn't called and McKinnon is dropped for a -3.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Swope dive to the ODU 42.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Jonathan Bryant outside to the 26

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Swope dive to the 23 for 3. 2nd and 7.

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM
GaSo picking up yards in chunks

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Trip for Trey Butler on the pitch. 3nd and 8 from the 24.

tourguide
December 8th, 2012, 11:23 AM
SoCon teams are not very good. thats all

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM
False start when the GSU center misses the snap count. 3rd and 13 from the 29.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Screen to Robinson to the 14 for the 1st down.

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Nice play

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:25 AM
John Darr with a nice tackle on Swope's dive to the 13. 2nd and 9.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Bryant uses a Robinson block on the pitch to the 2.

Mr. C
McKinnon sneaks in for the TD. Georgia Southern 7, Old Dominion 7.

ASU_Fanatic
Great drive

GAD
December 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM
ok GSU answers

Mr. C
11 plays, 75 yards, 5:59 on the drive.

ITmonarch10
Dat ODU defense xsmhx

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Big Sky refs. I'm surprised they came out this far.

Mr. C
First team to get a service break wins.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Dat ODU defense xsmhx

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Big Sky refs. I'm surprised they came out this far.

One of the worst conferences at ANY level of football for officials.

paward
December 8th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Strap em on boys, we going for a ride on this one.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:29 AM
ODU return to the 27. And we have a TV timeout.

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Just insane offenses.

keller625
GSU completes a pass!!! rare occurrence. Hail Southern!

asumike83
First to 40 wins?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 8th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Mark my words...GSU will lose one or two fumbles and that will be the difference in the game.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Badly thrown ball on the bomb from Heinicke on the first play. Nick Wright is getting targeted at RCB.

NoDak 4 Ever
One of those deep passes is going to work.

Mr. C
Completion to the 34. 3rd and 3.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Wright knocks down a receiver for pass interference. 1st down to the ODU 49.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Eubanks with a big hit after Colby Goodwyn runs to the GSU 43. Lee catch is stopped at the 41, 3rd and 1.

Red & Black
December 8th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Great game so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Nick Mayer on the sideline for a first down, but almost fumbled. First down at the 33 and Heinicke is sacked at the 40.

FCS_pwns_FBS
FFS

ODU is going to set a record for third down conversions in this one.

Mr. C
Really bad long-distance PI call on a great Wilcox break up.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM
1st down at the 25. ODU fans grumbling at no call PI in the end zone.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Really bad long-distance PI call on a great Wilcox break up.

Just like lat year. Not going to get the benefit of the doubt on any PI.

Baldy
December 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM
FU(KING Bull ***** call!!!!!!!

GSUEagles#1
December 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I will take PI calls over long passes for TDs

Mr. C
Wilcox with a stop on Pinkard at the 19. 3rd and 4.

Mr. C
Bad route short of the first down. 4th and 1.

Bison56
December 8th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Whoever has to punt will lose.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:41 AM
GSU lines up TWO down linemen and Heinicke is short on the option keep and then fumbles. GSU ball at the 19.

GAD
December 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
very quick 1st qtr

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Tyler Sumner can't get down the field to catch up to a long throw from McKinnon.

Saint3333
December 8th, 2012, 11:43 AM
What is GSU doing with these crazy plays???

Mr. C
Mitchell Williford takes a pitch and throws a pass to Robinson, who is tripped for PI. 1st down at the 34.

Mr. C

They were both open.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2012, 11:44 AM
was that even catchable? It looked like it was out of bounds.

ASU_Fanatic
these are definitely fcs refs. maybe that was a makeup call, there is no way that ball was catch-able. some bad calls against southern on odu's last drive too

Mr. C
Run on the option to the 40 and the first period ends.

Georgia Southern 7
Old Dominion 7

Mr. C
these are definitely fcs refs. maybe that was a makeup call, there is no way that ball was catch-able. some bad calls against southern on odu's last drive too

He was tripped before he could get down the field. Definitely was pass interference.

GSUEagles#1
December 8th, 2012, 11:46 AM

they are expecting the pitch and keep, you gotta mix it up!

Mr. C
ODU 104, GSU 86 yards of total offense in the first period.

Baldy
Russell is a beast.

Mr. C
they are expecting the pitch and keep, you gotta mix it up!

Both could have been big plays if the receivers were allowed to get there. Two good passes.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Swope with the dive for big yards to the ODU 39. I knew going in ODU would struggle with the dive. Another dive to the 36.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Great blocking on the pitch to Bryant. 1st down at the 5.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
McKinnon follow to the 5. 2nd and goal.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Dive again for the 5-yard TD for Swope.

Georgia Southern 14, Old Dominion 7, 12:49 second.

gsu1moretime
December 8th, 2012, 11:50 AM
WHY MIX IT UP? they cant stop the TO.. RUN!!!

GAD
TD! GSU

Mr. C
7 plays, 81, 2:27 on the drive. GSU scored too quickly.

Baldy
December 8th, 2012, 11:51 AM
7 plays, 81, 2:27 on the drive. GSU scored too quickly.
Ain't no such thing....can't expect them to quit running.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:53 AM
ODU takes over at the 21.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Good coverage by Valdon Cooper on 1st down. Incomplete. Tipped pass on 2nd down by Russell and the pass is dropped. 3rd and 10.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Blair Roberts can't hold on to a pass with coverage from Eubanks. ODU's Plisko punts for 44 yards to the 36.

Baldy
December 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Great D that series.

Southern Swarm
December 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Looking good!!!

SOCON DOMINATES
December 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Nice play by the DB. As long as GASO does not extend drives with pass interference they are going to be in good shape (and limit the turnover).

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:58 AM
McKinnon follow to the 37. 2nd and 9.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Robinson gets great blocks again on the pitch and rambles to the 14. 49 yards on the run.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Robinson with an individual for 5, but illegal block in the back. Big Sky officials struggling with identifying the right guys on penalities.

IBleedYellow
ODU your defense can't stop them. Game Eagles.

Nexus 4

Mr. C
McKinnon keeps to the 24. 2nd and long.

X-Factor
December 8th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Will ODU fire their d coordinator again?!

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:02 PM
McKinnon is stopped again and the ODU fans are going nuts for their defense. 3rd and long from the 26.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
GSU time out.

SOCON DOMINATES
December 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Do the Eagles still have the same FG kicker (sorry to bring it up)?

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Draw play to Swope to the 20. GSU's interesting FG team is on for a 37-yard attempt.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Delay of game will make it 43 yards.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wide left. 8:43 left in the half.

SOCON DOMINATES
5 yards would have made the difference

GAD
missed FG

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM
ODU from the 26. TD pass to Vaughan of 74 yards to tie it.

NoDak 4 Ever
I knew it.

GAD
TD! ODU

Saint3333
December 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM
GSU's secondary is toast today. That was ugly.

Mr. C
Georgia Southern 14, Old Dominion 14, 8:12 left in the half.

IBleedYellow
And I stand corrected, nice defense there ODU

Nexus 4

blueballs
December 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
That's exactly the matchup that ODU wants.... Good experienced WR vs. True FR w/no safety help. Great call and execution.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Hanks better stop by the financial aid office on Monday to set up his funding for the rest of his stay at GSU.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM
GSU returns to the 20. Extra curriculars afterwards.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Pitch to Robinson at the 19.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Swope dive to the 22. 3rd and 8.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Time out GSU with the play clock winding down. 2nd time out for GSU.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:14 PM
McKinnon is pressured and throws the ball no where near a receiver.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Nasty-looking Cherry punt rolls for 53 yards. ODU ball at the 25.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Goodwyn to the 27. 2nd and 8.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2012, 12:16 PM
First down to the 45 as ODU isolates a receiver on a LB.