PDA

View Full Version : Maine Alum Jovan Belcher

ccd494
December 1st, 2012, 09:45 AM
Reportedly Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend this morning, drove to the Chiefs' practice facility and killed himself.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/20234680/police-chiefs-players-kills-girlfriend-then-kills-self

Incredibly sad all around.

ccd494
December 1st, 2012, 09:50 AM
Twitter reports (so credibility not ensured) saying he shot himself in front of Romeo Crennel and Scott Pioli

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Prayers for the Maine football family. Can't imagine what would bring a young man to do something like that. Probably never will.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM
Is this confirmed anywhere except Twitter? A lot of crap is flying around but there's no official word.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 10:16 AM
Looks like pretty credible Twitter sources are confirming it - sports editor of Kansas City Star newspaper, picture of Arrowhead lockdown.

BisonBohl
December 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
So sad, prayers go out to all affected.

UMaineD
December 1st, 2012, 10:43 AM
Such sad news RIP Jovan

ccd494
December 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM
KC police have confirmed it was Jovan. https://www.facebook.com/610sports/posts/429314850456032

DoubleH
December 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Just awful.

Mr. C
December 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Prayers for the Maine football family. Can't imagine what would bring a young man to do something like that. Probably never will.

I just found out about this a few minutes ago, while having my pre-game meal. I had the chance to meet Jovan when I was handling the TSN awards program. He was an incredibly nice young man. He finished as the runner-up for the Buchanan Award as a senior. My heart goes out to Jack Cosgrove and the Maine family right now and Jovan's family and friends. All of these folks can use our prayers right now.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM
I just found out about this a few minutes ago, while having my pre-game meal. I had the chance to meet Jovan when I was handling the TSN awards program. He was an incredibly nice young man. He finished as the runner-up for the Buchanan Award as a senior. My heart goes out to Jack Cosgrove and the Maine family right now and Jovan's family and friends. All of these folks can use our prayers right now.

and the other victims family, he took another life before his

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM
So sorry to hear this. Just feel terrible for those that know him and his girlfriend and have to suffer through this now. My heart goes out to all family and friends as well as the Maine Football family.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2012, 12:59 PM
and the other victims family, he took another life before his

Hadn't seen this reply but that was exactly my thinking.

HailSzczur
December 1st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Horrible, horrible news. Thoughts and prayers to the family, the Chiefs organization, and the Maine football program.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM
Why are we hoping for Jovan to rest in peace? He murdered his girlfriend and left his 3 yr old child parentless....

danefan
December 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
Why are we hoping for Jovan to rest in peace? He murdered his girlfriend and left his 3 yr old child parentless....

I was thinking the same thing.

Who knows the exact details but it seems pretty clear they guy murdered his girlfriend. Not sure I have any well wishes for him. His family on the other hand, sure. They're suffering now as well.

KAUMASS
December 2nd, 2012, 08:07 AM
Just plain sad and and you have to ask why? Here is a kid making almost 2 million per year. Something had to make him snap. Not sure even if they will be able to tell if he suffered any concussion symptoms from playing football. A number of years back another kid from UMaine, Justin Strzelczyk, who played for the Steelers wigged out as well.

Laker
December 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Terrible tragedy. We will never know what happened to cause this, and unfortunately those who were present when he did this will live with that the rest of their lives.

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2012, 06:36 AM

I believe it was a three MONTH old child - born on my bday Sept. 11. A terrible day all around. Know a Maine player (senior) who knew him and stunned is way too light a word. The NY Times did an extensive article on it yesterday.

danefan
December 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
BTW, great move by the Chiefs to take a moment of silence for domestic cviolence victims. I was wondering how they were going to handle this and I think they did a fine job.

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Saw him finish his career in the UNI-Dome in 2008.

Any word on why this went down?

EllaGrassoBlvd
December 3rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Their was an irresponsible piece pulled from deadspin in which an anonymous "pal" was quoted as saying that Belcher had suffered a head injury in weeks prior (why he didn't play the week before the incident) and that ever since he had been drinking daily and taking various pain killers.

However in a more recent article it was stated that his girlfriend had made it clear she was in the process of leaving him and was going to hire an attorney in order to seek custody and child support. I would tend to agree that he was not able to handle/cope with that.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM
Their was an irresponsible piece pulled from deadspin in which an anonymous "pal" was quoted as saying that Belcher had suffered a head injury in weeks prior (why he didn't play the week before the incident) and that ever since he had been drinking daily and taking various pain killers.

However in a more recent article it was stated that his girlfriend had made it clear she was in the process of leaving him and was going to hire an attorney in order to seek custody and child support. I would tend to agree that he was not able to handle/cope with that.

Can Deadspin be sued for that? I bet they can.

EllaGrassoBlvd
December 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM

Who knows...

Here is the article:

http://deadspin.com/5964917/friend-jovan-belcher-was-dazed-suffering-from-short+term-memory-loss-after-last-game-drinking-pain-medication-domestic-tensions-played-role-in-shootings

Just goes back to a news outlet that would rather "report it first" then "report it right".

BEAR
December 3rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Sad news all around. Depression? Bipolar? Drugs? I hope they find out "why" this happened and can find a way to educate other players and fans about what might have caused it. ESPN says he was a VERY likeable guy and very polite with others. So strange. Prayers for all involved.

HailSzczur
December 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
Brady Quinn really hit the nail on the head post game

“The one thing people can hopefully try to take away, I guess, is the relationships they have with people. I know when it happened, I was sitting and, in my head, thinking what I could have done differently. When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth?

“We live in a society of social networks, with Twitter pages and Facebook, and that’s fine, but we have contact with our work associates, our family, our friends, and it seems like half the time we are more preoccupied with our phone and other things going on instead of the actual relationships that we have right in front of us. Hopefully, people can learn from this and try to actually help if someone is battling something deeper on the inside than what they are revealing on a day-to-day basis.”

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Brady Quinn really hit the nail on the head post game

yes he did

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM

Sued for what? Under libel laws, you must prove malice to win.

Appaholic
December 3rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Sad news all around. Depression? Bipolar? Drugs? I hope they find out "why" this happened and can find a way to educate other players and fans about what might have caused it. ESPN says he was a VERY likeable guy and very polite with others. So strange. Prayers for all involved.

Well, according to Jason Whitlock (& supported by Bob Costas), the 2nd Amendment caused this....

"I would argue that your rationalizations speak to how numb we are in this society to gun violence and murder. We’ve come to accept our insanity. We’d prefer to avoid seriously reflecting upon the absurdity of the prevailing notion that the second amendment somehow enhances our liberty rather than threatens it...."

"In the coming days, Belcher’s actions will be analyzed through the lens of concussions and head injuries. Who knows? Maybe brain damage triggered his violent overreaction to a fight with his girlfriend. What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today...."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112

Or, if he hadn't played football and possibly suffered numerous hits to his head over many years? Or, if he hadn't been picked on by someone in high school? Lazy *** journalism....xflaggedx