PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly @ Sam Houston Predictions

ztc001
December 1st, 2012, 01:04 AM
All i have read on other forums that I'm active on say that SHSU defense is the key in this game to shutting out Cal Poly. They haven't really faced a run defense like ours all year. I'm curious to what is the key offensive weapons they have such as there QB to make this a interesting game. I say 42-21!

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 06:41 AM
well it is December..... welcome

Sam_Kats
December 1st, 2012, 08:11 AM
Must suck to wake up everyday as bitter as you appear to be. Those hot flashes must be jacking with you.

Geez - I miss Alpha. At least his trash talk had substance.

xcoach2
December 1st, 2012, 08:42 AM
well it is December..... welcome

yup which means basketball season for the hens...

frozennorth
December 1st, 2012, 08:51 AM
i lean shsu today. lets go with 35-20 bearcats.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 09:02 AM
yup which means basketball season for the hens...

Duke today on ESPN3

bojeta
December 1st, 2012, 10:56 AM
Sam Houston's mascot will be proudly on display... The Bare Kat!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/mrbiggels.jpg

Nickels
December 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Sam Houston's mascot will be proudly on display... The Bare Kat!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/mrbiggels.jpg
link to a photo of Poly's mascot in 7 hours (--->NFW<---) http://nomeatballs.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/deadhorse.jpg

slostang
December 1st, 2012, 11:09 AM
link to a photo of Poly's mascot in 7 hours (--->NFW<---) http://nomeatballs.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/deadhorse.jpg

A burnt horse (that is sick BTW) looks good compared to that ugly Bare Kat. :)

BEAR
December 1st, 2012, 11:38 AM
Sam 48 Poly- 21

cpalum
December 1st, 2012, 11:59 AM
Sam 48 Poly- 21

I doubt that

Go Poly
December 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM

Ouch....

bojeta
December 1st, 2012, 01:19 PM
Even the Sam Houston Bare Kat is rooting for Cal Poly!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/mrbiggelslogocap.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/mrbiggelslogocap.jpg

+1

cpalum
December 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM

Oh right...I kept trying to figure what the hell a Barekat was. ....thanks

cpalum
December 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM
On a more important note just heard that both Cal Poly starting safeties will not play. I'm sure others will step up.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 02:42 PM
On a more important note just heard that both Cal Poly starting safeties will not play. I'm sure others will step up.

why?

cpalum
December 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
Injuries...but don't know any specifics

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 02:44 PM
Injuries...but don't know any specifics

thanks

Sam_Kats
December 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Blocked punt out of EZ...2-0 Kats

Sam_Kats
December 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Kats add a FG. 5-0

robsnotes4u
December 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM
Where are the high powered offenses, not what was expected

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sam_Kats
December 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM
No kidding. Bell & WR's can't get on same page. Kats add a FG. 8-0

SeattleGriz
December 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM
SHSU has done nothing so far. If not for the Cal Poly turnovers and miscues, it would be 0-0

Sam_Kats
December 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Yep. Both defenses playing well. Poly might have around 100 rushing yards total. Bell has only completed 2 passes. Flanders is avg 6.5 per - not sure why he only has 10 carries.

Playoffs....win by 1!!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 04:49 PM
Big option toss went deep into Kat territory. 10 really heating up, got around the corner setting up 3rd and 1 at the 9.... then, power run. 1st and goal Poly.

Sam_Kats
December 1st, 2012, 04:53 PM
Poly had 1st & G from 5 but cant get it in. 8-3 Sam. Date night with the wife & no kids...out of pocket rest of the night.

Go Kats

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 04:53 PM
Nice stand for SHSU forcing the FG from Poly. SHSU 8, Poly 3, 9:44 left 3Q.

Hands up anyone who thought there'd by no TDs by this point. Anyone?

BEAR
December 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
Oh wow. Sounds like Sam is having as much problem with offense as UCA did today. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM
A pretty silent crowd in Bearkat land.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
better late than never, 8-6 ..... what the heck's going on? what inning?

robsnotes4u
December 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM
If this is all SHSU has they aren't going to make much of run this year. Surprised at the lack of yards for them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 05:20 PM
that was not a catch

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM
this is a 3 possession game for Poly Ana - they don't have enough time

TheRevSFA
December 1st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Sam's offense looked like ****. Their defense kept them in.

They can't play like this and win the NC

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2012, 06:03 PM
Sam's offense looked like ****. Their defense kept them in.

They can't play like this and win the NC

They'll play better ... it's all about winning and advancing ... each game takes on a life of its own.

cpalum
December 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Congratulation SHSU!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
If you think for one minute that I'm dropping that Bare Cat meme, you are dreaming!

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
They'll play better ... it's all about winning and advancing ... each game takes on a life of its own.

true, no points tossed in for style in these games, Cal Poly stayed conservative a bit to long and paid for it, good ugly win for Sammy

Sammy94
December 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
They played the same way last year in the first playoff game also and ended up in Frisco. A win is a win on to next week.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
They played the same way last year in the first playoff game also and ended up in Frisco. A win is a win on to next week.

who's up next week?

TheRevSFA
December 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM

They also played all 3 games at home.

TheRevSFA
who's up next week?

Winner of stony brook and Montana state

SeattleGriz

Agreed, but you are now on the road. Much tougher than last year. Good luck!

kakat10
December 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM
They also played all 3 games at home.

We've played on the road all year...

coover
December 1st, 2012, 07:35 PM
Congratulations Sam Houston State. You played a great game and won. Good Luck next week against (probably) Montana State. They're tough.

By the way, I noticed that your team wears a "codpiece" on their uniform. What's up with that?

Nickels
December 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Honestly I don't know how we won considering how horrible our offense played. That was embarrassing. Hopefully the performance tonight will light a fire under their asses this week.

slostang
December 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
Honestly I don't know how we won considering how horrible our offense played. That was embarrassing. Hopefully the performance tonight will light a fire under their asses this week.

Have you ever considered that our defense had something to do with the embarrassing play of your offense? I give your defense credit for keeping our offense from hitting their stride.

Texas
December 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM
Have you ever considered that our defense had something to do with the embarrassing play of your offense? I give your defense credit for keeping our offense from hitting their stride.

Both Defenses were great but penalties on both sides were killer.

Nickels
December 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
No, because we have played tougher defenses and played much better. Bad throws, dropped passes, poor option decisions, vanilla play calling and false starts are usually signs an offense is beating itself.

slostang
December 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
No, because we have played tougher defenses and played much better. Bad throws, dropped passes, poor option decisions, vanilla play calling and false starts are usually signs an offense is beating itself.

I figured you would say that. I humbly disagree. Our front seven disrupted what SHSU likes to do.

Nickels
December 1st, 2012, 07:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, CPs defense came to play and made some great plays but I think Sams O shot itself in the foot all night.

slostang
December 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
So did Cal Poly's. Broadous misses a wide open Willie Tucker on the openning drive. Broadous fumbles at the 20 on the next. Bad snap on a punt lead to 2 points for SHSU. Cal Ply muffs a punt at he six (should never try to field a punt inside the10) and 2 BS personal fouls led to 7 points for SHSU. Give Cal Poly some credit. They out gained SHSU 387 to 241.

slostang
December 1st, 2012, 08:02 PM
Cal Poly averaged 5.6 yards per play to SHSU's 3.8. I would say Cal Poly is the team that shot themselves in the foot.

Nickels
December 1st, 2012, 08:21 PM
Sorry if it comes across "Poly was lucky Sam had a bad game because it would have gotten ugly." I don't feel that way at all. The TO was very effective and annoying as hell for Sam fans. I'm pretty sure on one drive CP converted 4 3rd downs in row. It gave our D all it can handle. I should have congratulated CP on a great season and game first and foremost, so I would like to do that now. I'm just a bit frustrated w/ our offense that seems like it regressed back to weeks 3-4.

CP has something like 18 returning starters? Your team will be beastly next year.

btw your coach might want to give that WR a shot at QB. You can't throw the deep ball any better than that. Best pass of the game by far.

slostang
December 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
Broadous made great down field passes all season. I think he was pressing this game.

Best of luck the rest of the playoffs and next season. SHSU has built a great program.

LuckyKat
December 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just got back in and setteled from the Game
Hats off to Cal Poly, the made a solid game of it,
and I have to give a Thumbs Down to Sam Houston Offense,

not sure of it was just a week off, or what
but the O-Line which has played VERY well as of late,
just did not play well in the run or pass game

Sam Houstons' Special Teams played very well,
and the Defense Minus Daruis Taylor played OK

we are going to need a solid week of practice, to make
a deep run at this thing

bojeta
December 1st, 2012, 08:37 PM
Cal Poly had a fantastic season. They played great, but the breaks (and other things) didnt' go their way today. That's what happens sometimes in a GAME. Looking forward to next season! Gooooooo.... Mustangs!! Congrats Bearkats.

slostang
December 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
The 2012 Cal Poly football team returned 4 offensive starters and 2 defensive starters off a 6-5 team.

The 2013 Cal Poly football team returns 8 offensive starters and 9 defensive starters (10 if you count a 2 year starter Bijon Samoodi that sat out 2012 with an injury) off a 9-3 team.

Can not wait for 2013.

bojeta
December 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
2 of 3 Big Sky continue.... Gooooo... Eagles!!! Gooooooo... Bobcats!!

ridered125
December 1st, 2012, 11:14 PM
Cal Poly's defense did a nice job. They were a tough, hard-hitting team. Later in the game, when it looked like they might lose, some Mustang players seemed to be jawing a lot and got some flags for dirty shots. I thought their offense would be much better than it was and the team wasn't coached well. Coaching means a lot at this level.

I never thought this was going to be an easy game for SHSU and it wasn't. Onward to Montana.

dudeitsaid
December 2nd, 2012, 01:48 AM
As predicted, Cal Poly would not be blown out by SHSU! Great season, Mustangs, you will be tough at home next year!

As for SHSU, I predict revenge will be had in Bozeman next weekend, and it will be the end of the road for the Bearkats!

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2012, 06:54 AM

a fire might not be a bad idea up there, your offense was sputtering yesterday because Cal Poly has a better D than your used to

Sam_Kats
December 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
Obsession noted. Thanks.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
Obsession noted. Thanks.

I wont hold it against you

hard for you to get your head around the fact that I enjoyed watching the game, despite my team not being in it.....

Sam_Kats
December 2nd, 2012, 08:52 AM
Your style is already pinpointed. Having no vested interests, you troll around & pounce on anything said on this forum that doesn't turn out to be true. Ironically enough, you're 1-4 'predicting' Kat games dating back to Stony Brook last year. Good thing you're not actually throwing down CASH.

Go Poly
December 2nd, 2012, 09:03 AM
2 of 3 Big Sky continue.... Gooooo... Eagles!!! Gooooooo... Bobcats!!

Ditto! Go Big Sky!

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
Your style is already pinpointed. Having no vested interests, you troll around & pounce on anything said on this forum that doesn't turn out to be true. Ironically enough, you're 1-4 'predicting' Kat games dating back to Stony Brook last year. Good thing you're not actually throwing down CASH.

hard for a Sammy fan to understand but I have a vested interest in the playoffs, despite my team being out

cpalum
December 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Mustang players seemed to be jawing a lot and got some flags for dirty shots. I thought their offense would be much better than it was and the team wasn't coached well. Coaching means a lot at this level.

Classy First Post....anybody who honestly feels that those were "dirty shots" has not an ounce of objectivity.

I've congratulated SHSU on their win but fair to say they got a big assist on their TD drive by two very suspect dead ball fouls (30 yards of that drive). The ESPN guys (see objective above) said the same.

As far as claiming that Cal Poly is badly coached...I have no idea what you are talking about. Walsh was COY in the Big Sky.

bojeta
December 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Classy First Post....anybody who honestly feels that those were "dirty shots" has not an ounce of objectivity.

I've congratulated SHSU on their win but fair to say they got a big assist on their TD drive by two very suspect dead ball fouls (30 yards of that drive). The ESPN guys (see objective above) said the same.

As far as claiming that Cal Poly is badly coached...I have no idea what you are talking about. Walsh was COY in the Big Sky.

Totally agree cpalum!! I'll go a little further. Anyone who thought those were cheap/dirty/personal fouls, has simply NOT played the game!! I was a cornerback. When you are coming in for the tackle while the ball is IN PLAY, you are not stopping to check if the player is still in bounds after initial contact. You complete the tackle because that's the ONLY way to play the position successfully. You do hear the whistle WHEN IT BLOWS, but if it does NOT, you follow through. The calls were cheap, and the ESPN announcers (BOTH clearly Sam Houston fans), AGREED!! Trying to paint them as anything but advantageous errors, on the part of the referees, for Sam Houston is ridiculous. No one can say for sure if the game's final outcome would have been different, so I won't say something stupid like, Cal Poly should have won, but don't try and bolster the win by referencing lame calls. It's intellectually dishonest. Congratulations to the Sam Houston players. The bad calls were certainly not their fault. They should enjoy the win and the rest of their season.

Cleets
December 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah those sideline tackles were tough calls - either way
In a playoff game I don't agree with those calls as much as an inner conference "Let's keep it calm boys" type of situation
all that said: Those were two evenly matched teams out there

Note: If the MSU Bobcast play like they did against Stony they'll lose to SHSU
The Bobcats will need one of their best efforts to win this game against Sam

cpalum
December 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Totally agree cpalum!! I'll go a little further. Anyone who thought those were cheap/dirty/personal fouls, has simply NOT played the game!! I was a cornerback. When you are coming in for the tackle while the ball is IN PLAY, you are not stopping to check if the player is still in bounds after initial contact. You complete the tackle because that's the ONLY way to play the position successfully. You do hear the whistle WHEN IT BLOWS, but if it does NOT, you follow through. The calls were cheap, and the ESPN announcers (BOTH clearly Sam Houston fans), AGREED!! Trying to paint them as anything but advantageous errors, on the part of the referees, for Sam Houston is ridiculous. No one can say for sure if the game's final outcome would have been different, so I won't say something stupid like, Cal Poly should have won, but don't try and bolster the win by referencing lame calls. It's intellectually dishonest. Congratulations to the Sam Houston players. The bad calls were certainly not their fault. They should enjoy the win and the rest of their season.

The part about those calls that completely irritates me is that the officials called them dead ball fouls. When clearly the play had not been blown dead. Dead ball fouls happen AFTER the whistle has blown. I can stomach (barely) a loss and even a few calls not going our way....but there is no way I'm gonna listen to some clown come on here a day after the game and call those plays dirty...no way.

bojeta
December 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Here's an EXCELLENT article on the game. It provides an honest assessment of the game, and shows the total class of the coach and players at Cal Poly. No excuses, no wringing of hands. Great job Coach Walsh and the Mustangs!!
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/12/01/2313341/cal-polys-rally-comes-up-short.html

cpalum
December 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Here's an EXCELLENT article on the game. It provides an honest assessment of the game, and shows the total class of the coach and players at Cal Poly. No excuses, no wringing of hands. Great job Coach Walsh and the Mustangs!!
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/12/01/2313341/cal-polys-rally-comes-up-short.html

+1

Sam_Kats
December 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
It was an exciting game. Hope Sam can strike up some home-and-homes with CP or other good Big Sky schools.

ridered125
December 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Good main story and sidebar in the Huntsville Item on the game, itemonline.com. Bearkats noted how good the Cal Poly running backs were. Playing Cal Poly in the regular season would be a good challenge. Better than playing A&M and Baylor in the same year.

xcoach2
December 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM

Are you srsly arguing that the tackles didn't occur out of bounds? I don't think they were dirty or malicious but they were clearly out of bounds. The officials could have easily called 3-4 more of them. They weren't bad calls. You may not have liked them but you can't tackle players out of bounds.

slostang
December 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
I missed the second half because I was coaching my daughter's basketball game. I am watching the replay on ESPN 3 and just watched the two personal fouls on the 3rd quarter SHSU's TD drive and BOTH were BAD calls. Contact was made in bounds on both plays and the ESPN announcers agree.

That said, SHSU took advantage of the calls and finished the drive in the end zone. Something Cal Poly was unable to do on their two previous drive when they got in the red zone.

Great game between two good teams.

xcoach2
December 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
I missed the second half because I was coaching my daughter's basketball game. I am watching the replay on ESPN 3 and just watched the two personal fouls on the 3rd quarter SHSU's TD drive and BOTH were BAD calls. Contact was made in bounds on both plays and the ESPN announcers agree.

That said, SHSU took advantage of the calls and finished the drive in the end zone. Something Cal Poly was unable to do on their two previous drive when they got in the red zone.

Great game between two good teams.

Doesn't matter if contact was initially made in bounds. As a defensive player you have to know where you're at on the field at all times. If you engage a player in bounds and then wrestle him down across the boundary you're wrong. It's not like the defensive player(s) left their feet. They wrestled the man down clearly after he'd crossed the boundary. They could have called and 3-4 more of them in my opinion.

cpalum
December 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Are you srsly arguing that the tackles didn't occur out of bounds? I don't think they were dirty or malicious but they were clearly out of bounds. The officials could have easily called 3-4 more of them. They weren't bad calls. You may not have liked them but you can't tackle players out of bounds.

There were three total personal fouls called. The first two came on SHSU's only TD drive the third came on the last field goal drive.

The first two were on tackles that happened before the whistle and the initial contact of both tackles was made in bounds. Both of those were awful calls and both ESPN announcers agreed.......I appreciate you not calling them "dirty" as some folks have.

The third call was for a little push after the player had gone out of bounds.....I thought it was pretty ticky tack but probably was legit if you follow the letter of the rule.

cpalum
December 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Doesn't matter if contact was initially made in bounds. As a defensive player you have to know where you're at on the field at all times. If you engage a player in bounds and then wrestle him down across the boundary you're wrong. It's not like the defensive player(s) left their feet. They wrestled the man down clearly after he'd crossed the boundary. They could have called and 3-4 more of them in my opinion.

Sorry man...I completely disagree....hits were in bounds and before the whistle had blown...there was no "wrestling down" that was not started before the player was out of bounds.....and again the ESPN guys said essentially the same during the broadcast.

xcoach2
December 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
The announcers were terrible. The first one was blatant as the CB drug Diller accros the boundary and then pin slammed him out of bounds. The defender would have been fine on the second one if he'd disenaged once he drug Sincere accross the boundary. The defender has to know his position in relationship to the boundary. The announcers don't even know the rules.

xcoach2
December 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry man...I completely disagree....hits were in bounds and before the whistle had blown...there was no "wrestling down" that was not started before the player was out of bounds.....and again the clearly pro Sam ESPN guys said essentially the same during the broadcast.

Polish up on the rules. You disagree because you don't understand the rules.

cpalum
December 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Polish up on the rules. You disagree because you don't understand the rules.

I know the rule ...I disagree with your description of what happend

xcoach2
December 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
I know the rule ...I disagree with your description of what happend

Both of them would have been fine if the defender would have just rode the offensive player out of bounds. Neither defender was airborne or over committed to a position where they couldn't have maintained their feet. The second was more questionable than the first (which was blatant) but he took Sincere down past the second stripe. You can't do that. Safety is foremost right now in the game and you have to play with discipline around the boundaries. The first one was an easy call. The defender drug Diller past the boundary and then reverse slammed a couple of yards out of bounds. The announcer is so dumb that he thinks you can play thru the whistle outside of the boundary. The defender has to know where the sideline is and when to let go.

cpalum
December 2nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
Both of them would have been fine if the defender would have just rode the offensive player out of bounds. Neither defender was airborne or over committed to a position where they couldn't have maintained their feet. The second was more questionable than the first (which was blatant) but he took Sincere down past the second stripe. You can't do that. Safety is foremost right now in the game and you have to play with discipline around the boundaries. The first one was an easy call. The defender drug Diller past the boundary and then reverse slammed a couple of yards out of bounds. The announcer is so dumb that he thinks you can play thru the whistle outside of the boundary. The defender has to know where the sideline is and when to let go.

I appreciate where you are coming from....I just don't agree with what you are describing.

slostang
December 2nd, 2012, 01:17 PM
I can see how the first one could go either way but the second was complete BS. Does not matter now either way other than the fact that I do not believe Cal Poly is a dirty team. Best of luck to a very good Bearkat team.

Sammy94
December 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't think either team is dirty. Both teams play smash mouth football. The refs were from the Missouri Valley, perhaps they don't see much of that type of football up there. :D Congrats on a great year Cal Poly.

slostang
December 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I don't think either team is dirty. Both teams play smash mouth football. The refs were from the Missouri Valley, perhaps they don't see much of that type of football up there. :D Congrats on a great year Cal Poly.

Back at you Sammy.

cpalum
December 2nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
If anyone is interested you can see the plays in question yourself.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/687918/

The first penalty is at about 3:35 remaining in the 3rd....the second penalty comes about 2 minutes later.

I hope that nobody sees these as "dirty" as they were described above...Id call them questionable at best.

Again my congratulations to SHSU....Like Slo said they still had to go down and punch it in and they did.

xcoach2
December 2nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Does not matter now either way other than the fact that I do not believe Cal Poly is a dirty team. Best of luck to a very good Bearkat team.

We can agree here. We're used to Sam being the more penalized team largely due to aggressiveness and intensity on defense. Plus Sam plays mostly press coverage which will invite more flags. I don't by any means consider Cal Poly a dirty team though. The Mustangs were just playing hard imo but you have to be careful around the boundaries. Ref's are monitoring the out-of-bounds stuff much more.