PDA

View Full Version : SFA Joins SHSU with New Video Boards at Football Stadiums

TexasTerror
August 17th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Well, SFA is fixing up their board now with the installation underway at Homer Bryce, complete with their own video screen. Daktronics is doing this one, just like they did the one at Bowers Stadium in Huntsville.

The SLC is doing a fine job at renovating these stadiums! Not too many I-AAs have video boards of the quality that some of these SLC schools are getting...
------------
Installation of New Scoreboard Begins at Stadium
Homer Bryce Stadium will have new look in 2006

Aug. 17, 2006

NACOGDOCHES - Installation of a state-of-the-art scoreboard began Thursday morning at Homer Bryce Stadium. The scoreboard is a Daktronics ProStar Video Board and ProAd Panel. The total size of the new scoreboard will be 47 feet high by 52 feet wide and will contain a 13-foot-by-18-foot video screen. It will also house a top-of-the-line sound system.

"This has been a long-term project with a lot of time and participation from a number of corporate partners," said SFA Director of Athletics Robert Hill. "I would like to thank Assistant Athletics Director for External Operations, John Branch, for spearheading this project."

The new Daktronics ProStar Video Board and ProAd Panel is the first phase of a project that has been in the works for the past year-and-a-half. The project will also include a new scoreboard for the soccer team at the SFA Intramural Field, a new marquee for the William R. Johnson Coliseum and a new video screen inside the coliseum.

"I believe this new scoreboard will only add to our fans' enjoyment of the game and their experience at Homer Bryce Stadium," added Hill.

Other phases of the project are scheduled to begin after the completion of the board at Homer Bryce Stadium. The new video screen in the coliseum is scheduled to begin installation in September.

-SFA-

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081706aaa.html

blackfordpu
August 17th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Just like the jacks to follow our lead.;) :nod:

NSUDemon98
August 17th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Just like the jacks to follow our lead.;) :nod:

Wasn't McNeese the first in the SLC to have a video board? :smiley_wi

Seriously though, we should have had ours set up 2 seasons ago. I remember going to the games when they had the portable screen to show everyone what we would be getting. Here we are 2 seasons later and no video board. :bawling:

The rumor was that a beverage company offered to pay for the entire scoreboard but the President of NSU didn't want alchoholic beverages advertised on campus... :mad:

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 18th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Seriously though, we should have had ours set up 2 seasons ago. I remember going to the games when they had the portable screen to show everyone what we would be getting. Here we are 2 seasons later and no video board. :bawling:

The rumor was that a beverage company offered to pay for the entire scoreboard but the President of NSU didn't want alchoholic beverages advertised on campus... :mad:

That's "Good Ole Mr. Webb" for ya......:rolleyes:

Freightliner
August 18th, 2006, 06:36 AM
geesh...wonder when TXST is gonna follow??...xcoffeex :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Yep, but the joke at Sam is that SFA follows everything we do...especially with the fact their inept Board of Regents is not too clever on their own regards and looks to their former "big brother" southwest of the school for their plan of action with what to go do next (i.e ballparks, scoreboard, student rec center, etc)...

GeauxColonels
August 18th, 2006, 08:42 AM
When we got our new score board several years back, it came with a screen. We were all excitied thinking it would be able to show video feeds like replays and such. But all it does is show computer graphics....no actual video. We were VERY dissappointed.

Demon Fan
August 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM

It was just that, a rumor. The reason why the board is not up by now is good old foot dragging by Louisiana bureaucracy! The money has been there for quite a while (private monies, nothing to do with beverages alcoholic or otherwise) but the university is still awaiting permission (a permit) from some state agency. McNeese got their board installed last year before this requirement came about as a result of the Katrina/Rita thing. I guarantee you that if it had been LSU needing that permit, it would have been on someone's desk the next day, or heads would have rolled!

patssle
August 18th, 2006, 10:02 AM
no actual video. We were VERY dissappointed.

wow, that does suck. what kind of thinking made that happen?

GeauxColonels
August 18th, 2006, 02:10 PM
wow, that does suck. what kind of thinking made that happen?
The same thinking of our bonehead AD that DIDN'T get a commercial made to promote the school's 1st SLC titles and the same idiot that wanted our marching band to NOT march at a home game so Grambling AND St. Aug High School from New Orleans could both march.

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2006, 05:41 PM
The same thinking of our bonehead AD that DIDN'T get a commercial made to promote the school's 1st SLC titles and the same idiot that wanted our marching band to NOT march at a home game so Grambling AND St. Aug High School from New Orleans could both march.

St Aug seemed to be in each and every single parade during Carnival season. Nicholls St trying to get in the Mardi Gras season while ignoring their own marching band?

And Grambling performing while Nicholls stands idle? What the heck is that about? Granted, Grambling has a better band than Nicholls (which I don't think any of us question), but which college football team is trying to play their heart out infront of their home fans? :nono:

GeauxColonels
August 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
St Aug seemed to be in each and every single parade during Carnival season. Nicholls St trying to get in the Mardi Gras season while ignoring their own marching band?

And Grambling performing while Nicholls stands idle? What the heck is that about? Granted, Grambling has a better band than Nicholls (which I don't think any of us question), but which college football team is trying to play their heart out infront of their home fans? :nono:
I actually would, but it's a matter of opinion. I prefer to "Corps-Style" bands to "Show-Style" bands. It's really an apples to oranges comparison though.

Anyway, back on topic. Yes, St. Aug is always in the big parades in New Orleans...they probably do one each night. But here's the scoop on what happenned:

In 2001, when Grambling State came to Nicholls State nationally ranked, the game was going to be televised on Fox Sports Southwest. Our AD inquired to Grambling on whether or not they were brining their marching band. Grambling replied that they had no intent on doing so as they had already planned and budgeted for all of their trips for that season. But then told the AD that if Nicholls footed the bill, they would come - completely understandable.

That being said, the AD decided to come to our band director and ask US to foot the bill because HE wanted Grambling's band there. Our director told him where to stick it. After he told Grambling that no one would be paying for them to come down, they said OK and that was the end of it.

After that, the AD decided to pay for St. Aug's marching band to come down to Thibodaux and march a halftime show. From what I was told, Grambling then decided they WERE going to come down to Thibodaux and, instead of our AD telling them sorry, we're booked, or cancelling St. Aug, he came to us and asked us if we would mind NOT performing at our OWN stadium. Again, the director told the AD to go to hell.

Grambling's band did not come down. St. Aug did and marched an abbreviated show so we could march our entire halftime show.
Needless to say, everyone associated with the band hates him....and he hasn't given me a good reason not to.