8. Ivy (NA)
9. Northeast (1)
10. Big South (2)
11. Mid-Eastern (0)
12. Pioneer (0)
13. Southwestern (NA)

RadioFan
November 29th, 2012, 09:52 AM
With the SoCon having three in the top 10 and those three in the playoffs I don't see how they're 4th on that list.

dystopiamembrane
November 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM
With the SoCon having three in the top 10 and those three in the playoffs I don't see how they're 4th on that list.
Massey has the highest SoCon team at #15.

RadioFan
November 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Massey has the highest SoCon team at #15.

Laughable.

Apphole
November 29th, 2012, 10:13 AM
What a joke

Snowgoose
November 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Both the Massey and Sagarin are consistent with their rankings. Unfortunately on Saturday one MVFC team will eliminate another. In both the Massey and Sagarin NDSU and SDSU are ranked in the top five.

frozennorth
November 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM
What a joke

my thoughts of the socon as well

asumike83
November 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Odd thought, considering the SoCon is 13-3 against the MVFC all-time in the playoffs. Calling the SoCon a joke because the MVFC got the better of them for the first time ever in the 2011 playoffs is a pretty short-sighted statement.

CK34
November 29th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I'd agree with the top 2, I think 3/4 are interchangeable, but no beef from me being a Katfan

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Massey has 3-8 Missouri St at #30 because of their #1 SOS. SOS must be a huge factor in his ratings that's why UNI is #12 with a 5-6 (4-6 DI games) record.

RadioFan
November 29th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Oh please. MVFC has had two decent years. When they reach SoCon prominence let me know.

Let's go back 30 years with the current members of the SoCon:

National Championships - 10 (I'm not counting Marshall at all)
NC Game appearances - 13 (again, not counting Marshall)
SoCon vs MVFC in playoffs - 13-3

put it back in your pants, son.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Oh please. MVFC has had two decent years. When they reach SoCon prominence let me know.

Let's go back 30 years with the current members of the SoCon:

National Championships - 10 (I'm not counting Marshall at all)
NC Game appearances - 13 (again, not counting Marshall)
SoCon vs MVFC in playoffs - 13-3

put it back in your pants, son.

I don't think Massey counts "we used to be something" in their current rankings.

Redbirdgrad
November 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Oh this thread should be a fun read when all is said and done.

Someone is knocking the SoCon off their pedestal with actual numbers and facts from sources!

Let me go get my popcorn...

RadioFan
November 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I don't think Massey counts "we used to be something" in their current rankings.

Current? Okay:

The SoCon has 3 in the Top 10 in every poll that matters and 3 more in the top 35.

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Someone is knocking the SoCon off their pedestal with actual numbers and facts from sources!

I'll grab the drinks!!!

blueballs
November 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM

Isn't it great that we actually get to see it on the field so all the argument back and forth is just time filler between games?

Enjoy the popcorn!

Redbirdgrad
November 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Yes, yes. It is fun.

I just love how SoCon guys love to use numbers until they don't work for them.

As soon as that happens, the arguement then becomes: let's see it on the field... numbers dont matter.

Like I said, carry on with the thread... should be a good one.

walliver
November 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Do you judge a conference by its best teams, its mediocre teams or its Western Carolina?

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Do you judge a conference by its best teams, its mediocre teams or its Western Carolina?

I think it depends how many of the Western Carolina teams you have. IMO the Big Sky has two Northern Colorado and Idaho State.

blueballs
November 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM

I'd say all of the above...

Also, some conferences don't play a true round robin schedule so that likely skews thing a little... how much I have no idea.

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I think it depends how many of the Western Carolina teams you have. IMO the Big Sky has two Northern Colorado and Idaho State.

UND is in that group for now. So Big Sky has 3.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I'd say all of the above...

Also, some conferences don't play a true round robin schedule so that likely skews thing a little... how much I have no idea.

I don't think many conferences play a round robin schedule, not sure on this though. I think our conference standings would be pretty different if we did. I don't think NAU would be as high as they are. Also we probably wouldn't have three winners of our conference, which would be nice. Who knows who would be the top team here if they did.. In my opinion 3 of the 4 top teams in the conference were playing pretty badly, and we didn't start off the year very strong. I think the team that won the conference could've have two losses in conference play.

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM
UND is in that group for now. So Big Sky has 3.

Not taking the bait....sorry.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM

The CAA Knocked the SoConf off about a decade ago, but I am afraid that run is over for a while

Twentysix
November 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM

I was under the impression UNC finished higher in the Big Sky than UND. And also beat UND head to head. xsmugx

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Wasn't meant as bait, you know the facts.

How many times has UND finished ahead of UNC in the Big Sky standings?

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I would re-rank them as:
1)MVC
2)Big Sky
3)Southern
4)Southland
5)CAA

and the rest is interchangeable.

the CAA may be down, but having the OVC ahead of them is a joke.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM
And it would be great to see 3 Socon teams in the field of 8, and as of now I think they have the highest probability of accomplishing that.

kalm
November 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I would re-rank them as:
1)MVC
2)Big Sky
3)Southern
4)Southland
5)CAA

and the rest is interchangeable.

the CAA may be down, but having the OVC ahead of them is a joke.

Same can be said for the Southland.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Same can be said for the Southland.

top to bottom perhaps, but at this point I think the average Southland playoff team is better than the average CAA playoff team....that could change this week (and it honestly probably will)

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Wasn't meant as bait, you know the facts.

How many times has UND finished ahead of UNC in the Big Sky standings?

So after one season UND is a bottom feeder. Does this mean since they (UNC) also finished ahead of UC Davis and Montana that they are now bottom feeders? Wow!! One season after transition means everything please remind me what happened in 2008? Who was one of the top teams in the MVFC and which was a mediocre team, I will give you a hint they play Saturday.

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM
So after one season UND is a bottom feeder. Does this mean since they also finished ahead of UC Davis and Montana that they are now bottom feeders? Wow!! One season after transition means everything please remind me what happened in 2008? Who was one of the top teams in the MVFC and which was a mediocre team, I will give you a hint they play Saturday.

They could very well be a bottom feeder, on the other hand they could be one of the best teams in the Big Sky moving forward. If you go off of anything other than the facts you are being a homer.

As of right now, UND has a 3-5 record in the Big Sky. Nobody thought that UNC would drop off the face of the planet with their move to DI, but they did.

Darell, you just called UNC a bottom feeder, THEY BEAT UND THIS YEAR. How can a reasonable person not acknowledge that as of right now UND is in the same conversation as UNC and Idaho State?

I would have said the same thing about NDSU after the '08 season and actually a lot of MVFC fans did.

stevdock
November 29th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Please you two don't turn this thread into another NDSU vs. UND thing.

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM

I didn't say anything about NDSU. Only that as of right now UND is in the same boat as UNC in the Big Sky.

Redbirdgrad
November 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM
And it would be great to see 3 Socon teams in the field of 8, and as of now I think they have the highest probability of accomplishing that.

The only reason this is true is because of the SDSU screwjob.

Otherwise the MVFC would have an even better chance...

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
They could very well be a bottom feeder, on the other hand they could be one of the best teams in the Big Sky moving forward. If you go off of anything other than the facts you are being a homer.

As of right now, UND has a 3-5 record in the Big Sky. Nobody thought that UNC would drop off the face of the planet with their move to DI, but they did.

Darell, you just called UNC a bottom feeder, THEY BEAT UND THIS YEAR. How can a reasonable person not acknowledge that as of right now UND is in the same conversation as UNC and Idaho State?

I would have said the same thing about NDSU after the '08 season and actually a lot of MVFC fans did.

I called UNC a bottom feeder because they haven't done anything in DI to prove they aren't. UND has at least a conference title under their belt they have beaten ranked opponents what has UNC done? Yes they beat UND it happens we also beat Montana so what does it say for them?

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 03:02 PM

I am trying not to...trust me I don't want another pissing match.

UNDColorado
November 29th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Too late...fun to watch though!

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I called UNC a bottom feeder because they haven't done anything in DI to prove they aren't. UND has at least a conference title under their belt they have beaten ranked opponents what has UNC done? Yes they beat UND it happens we also beat Montana so what does it say for them?

We can leave it at this so it doesn't drift the entire thread. But, the bolded part above describes UND just as much as it describes UNC.

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
We can leave it at this so it doesn't drift the entire thread. But, the bolded part above describes UND just as much as it describes UNC.

So winning a conference title proves nothing. Okay.xeyebrowx

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM
So winning a conference title proves nothing. Okay.xeyebrowx

Do we really need to go over this again? Even UND fans think UND is destined for mediocrity for the better part of the next decade. Why is me thinking it so different?

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Do we really need to go over this again? Even UND fans think UND is destined for mediocrity for the better part of the next decade. Why is me thinking it so different?

I agree UND is mediocre but you have them as a bottom feeder after year 1. If that was the case how does 4-4 and 2-6 look?

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I agree UND is mediocre but you have them as a bottom feeder after year 1. If that was the case how does 4-4 and 2-6 look?

I am assuming those are the records for NDSU in '08 and '09? Clever. If you had made the argument that NDSU was a bottom level MVFC team in 2009 there would be no evidence to argue otherwise. I would have agreed. Fortunately for NDSU, they now have a track record of winning. Something UND has yet to have at the Division I level.

So until UND has longer track record, UND's 2012 Big Sky record will have to stand for itself. 3-5 with a loss to a team you called a bottom feeder.

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I am assuming those are the records for NDSU in '08 and '09? Clever. If you had made the argument that NDSU was a bottom level MVFC team in 2009 there would be no evidence to argue otherwise. I would have agreed. Fortunately for NDSU, they now have a track record of winning. Something UND has yet to have at the Division I level.

So until UND has longer track record, UND's 2012 Big Sky record will have to stand for itself. 3-5 with a loss to a team you called a bottom feeder.

You still don't get it. Even after 2-6 I wouldn't call NDSU a bottom feeder. Why? History. This is UND's third losing season since 2002 before that it was the 1980's, and between then and now UND has a resume of not being at the bottom for long. You know what fine call UND a bottom feeder I don't care anymore. If it pumps your chest more than so be it, our teams will never play unless its in the playoffs so smack away at UND on here all you want. I am done.

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 03:51 PM
You still don't get it. Even after 2-6 I wouldn't call NDSU a bottom feeder. Why? History. This is UND's third losing season since 2002 before that it was the 1980's, and between then and now UND has a resume of not being at the bottom for long. You know what fine call UND a bottom feeder I don't care anymore. If it pumps your chest more than so be it, our teams will never play unless its in the playoffs so smack away at UND on here all you want. I am done.

Darell, you make it too easy for me. UNC has a much richer history of winning than UND could ever wish for and yet here they are as a bottom feeder since the move to Division I. Did anyone expect that to happen based on their history? No.

Based on what UND has done in the Big Sky, how could you make an argument that they have shown anything but being a bottom of the Big Sky team?

Sure it is a small sample size, but it's all we have so far.

And for the record, I am not smacking UND. These are the facts, I am not interpreting anything, I am not inferring anything. I am basing my comments COMPLETELY on what UND has actually accomplished in the Big Sky so far.

UNDColorado
November 29th, 2012, 04:00 PM

I agree that UND is average at best right now, but saying that they will be there for the better part of a decade is a bit outlandish.

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I agree that UND is average at best right now, but saying that they will be there for the better part of a decade is a bit outlandish.

I may agree with that, I am saying that's what most UND fans think right now. At least the ones on SS.

I don't see how there will be an improvement next year. New QB, same coach.

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Darell, you make it too easy for me. UNC has a much richer history of winning than UND could ever wish for and yet here they are as a bottom feeder since the move to Division I. Did anyone expect that to happen based on their history? No.

Based on what UND has done in the Big Sky, how could you make an argument that they have shown anything but being a bottom of the Big Sky team?

Sure it is a small sample size, but it's all we have so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_win-loss_records (through 2011)
UNC 417-430-23 .493
UND 612-369-30 .620

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_win-loss_records (through 2011)
UNC 417-430-23 .493
UND 612-369-30 .620

2 national championships. Learn not to cherry pick stats and you'll add to your credibility.

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 04:18 PM
2 national championships. Learn not to cherry pick stats and you'll add to your credibility.

So 2 for UNC and 1 for UND.

UND has more titles than Minnesota but Minnesota has more wins 1655 to 1361. Who has a richer history of winning?

FargoBison
November 29th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Another thread down the drain..

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Jack-Donaghy-Facepalm.gif

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM
So 2 for UNC and 1 for UND.

UND has more titles than Minnesota but Minnesota has more wins 1655 to 1361. Who has a richer history of winning?

Learn to infer from context Darell, good lord. AT THE TIME OF THEIR MOVE UP TO DI, UNC was considered one of the better teams in Division II, they had been a winner for years which included two national titles. Very similar to UND. UNC moves up to DI and the rest is history. Nobody would have predicted that based on their history.

You have been saying that UND couldn't possibly end up like UNC based on UND's history. I am saying that UNC fans likely said the same damn thing.

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Learn to infer from context Darell, good lord. AT THE TIME OF THEIR MOVE UP TO DI, UNC was considered one of the better teams in Division II, they had been a winner for years which included two national titles. Very similar to UND. UNC moves up to DI and the rest is history. Nobody would have predicted that based on their history.

You have been saying that UND couldn't possibly end up like UNC based on UND's history. I am saying that UNC fans likely said the same damn thing.

You said "UNC has a much richer history of winning than UND could ever wish for". UND had more success of winning than UNC in DII. UND has won more games in DI including a conference title (GWFC 2011) than UNC. UNC has had only 1 winning season in DI (2003), UND has had only 2 losing seasons in DI (2010, 2012). So I think UND being mediocre is accurate, UND a bottom feeder is not accurate.

Bison06
November 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM
You said "UNC has a much richer history of winning than UND could ever wish for". UND had more success of winning than UNC in DII. UND has won more games in DI including a conference title (GWFC 2011) than UNC. UNC has had only 1 winning season in DI (2003), UND has had only 2 losing seasons in DI (2010, 2012). So I think UND being mediocre is accurate, UND a bottom feeder is not accurate.

Fine. In my time as a football fan(started in late 90's), UNC was considered one of the best teams in the nation. They moved up and now they suck. It has happened to other teams and it could happen to UND.

darell1976
November 29th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Fine. In my time as a football fan(started in late 90's), UNC was considered one of the best teams in the nation. They moved up and now they suck. It has happened to other teams and it could happen to UND.

It could, but I hope it doesn't...wouldn't we be great on PTI.xpeacex

xcoach2
November 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Number of teams still in playoffs in parentheses

1. Missouri Valley (3)
2. Big Sky (3)
3. Southland (2)
4. Southern (3)
5. Ohio Valley (0)
6. Colonial (2)
7. Patriot (0)
8. Ivy (NA)
9. Northeast (1)
10. Big South (2)
11. Mid-Eastern (0)
12. Pioneer (0)
13. Southwestern (NA)

Southland might be a little low but I'll take it.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Southland might be a little low but I'll take it.

Southland is one spot too high.

xcoach2
November 29th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Southland is one spot too high.

Maybe four years ago. Not anymore. UCA and Sam would have been 1 & 2 in the SoCo. We'll see.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Maybe four years ago. Not anymore. UCA and Sam would have been 1 & 2 in the SoCo. We'll see.

xchinscratchx

coover
November 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
What a jokeYou like to use that phrase quite a bit. You should try something else next time like "laughable" or "ridiculous". Perhaps a multi word phrase such as "That makes no sense" or "it's obvious that the writer has no idea what is going on" would work better than the constant " What a joke."

coover
November 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM

It wouldn't be a very big surprise to see all 3 Big Sky teams in the field of 8. EWU and MSU are presently favorites, and Cal Poly has a very good chance to beat SHSU, which has not beaten a decent team this year.

xcoach2
November 29th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Cal Poly has a very good chance to beat SHSU, which has not beaten a decent team this year.

No question in my mind that Sam will win big on Saturday, but still dunno if Sam will have beaten a decent team afterwards.

coover
November 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM
No question in my mind that Sam will win big on Saturday, but still dunno if Sam will have beaten a decent team afterwards.

You're funny! Ever done stand-up?

frozennorth
November 29th, 2012, 07:30 PM

don't mind him, he's... special

coover
November 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM
don't mind him, he's... specialkind of like those kids that ride the "short" bus

xcoach2
November 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Back at ya. We're posting in a thread that has the Southland ranked as the 3rd best conference in the country and you claim Sam hasn't beaten any "decent" teams? Who's funny now? Sam returns basically their whole team from last year. If they would have only played one of Baylor or A&M they would be seeded. Same' claim last year from the BSC before they went 0-2 versus Sam in the playoffs.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2012, 07:32 PM
don't mind him, he's... a Decemberist

FIFY

xcoach2
November 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM
kind of like those kids that ride the "short" bus

1993 is on the line...they want they their "short bus" smack back.

coover
November 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Back at ya. We're posting in a thread that has the Southland ranked as the 3rd best conference in the country and you claim Sam hasn't beaten any "decent" teams? Who's funny now? Sam returns basically their whole team from last year. If they would have only played one of Baylor or A&M they would be seeded. Same' claim last year from the BSC before they went 0-2 versus Sam in the playoffs.Confidence! That is what I want to hear. Confidence from the fans, confidence from the players, confidence from even the prognosticators who make the odds!

Poly isn't confident and shouldn't be.

UCLA mens basketball team was confident last Sunday, and they were beaten by a team that wasn't confident and shouldn't have been able to beat them. Final score ... Cal Poly 78, UCLA 68.

Yes, I know Men's Basketball is not Football, but the anology fits. Poly isn't going into Huntsville to lose. They will be ready and they will play Football for 60 minutes. And yes, I know SHSU isn't going onto the field to lose, either. The question is ... are they ready to work hard to play a team they've already beaten in their own minds.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2012, 07:41 PM
1993 is on the line...they want they their "short bus" smack back.

Are you going to go run and hide when SHSU gets their teeth kicked in again? We didn't miss you.

11-26-2012, 11:10 AM Thread: Cal Poly @ Sam Houston State .. Saturday, 3pm.
by xcoach2 Replies:85
Views:2,991 Re: Cal Poly @ Sam Houston State .. Saturday, 3pm.
Fritz is going to get an opportunity to coach at the FBS level...gawd I hope a better opportunity than UTEP. Knowing Willie personally I don't think UTEP is a fit for him. He's going to get some run... 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM Thread: NDSU's President Breschani has TEXAS A & M support!by xcoach2 Replies:6
Views:417 Re: NDSU's President Breschani has TEXAS A & M support!
No resistance here, by all means, you can have the sheep humpers.

xcoach2
November 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Are you going to go run and hide when SHSU gets their teeth kicked in again? We didn't miss you.

Fritz is going to get an opportunity to coach at the FBS level...gawd I hope a better opportunity than UTEP. Knowing Willie personally I don't think UTEP is a fit for him. He's going to get some run... 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM Thread: NDSU's President Breschani has TEXAS A & M support!by xcoach2 Replies:6
No resistance here, by all means, you can have the sheep humpers.

You want my autograph or something? Stop riding boy.

xcoach2
November 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Poly isn't going into Huntsville to lose.

Poly is going to Huntsville because they don't have a choice. Tell' ya what. Get back to me Sunday evening and let me know if Sam has beaten any "decent" teams. Deal?

coover
November 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM

No resistance here, by all means, you can have the sheep humpers. See you in the Finals, BisonFan. We enjoyed meeting NDSU when they were in the Great West Football Conference. You have great fans and a great team. We shall enjoy meeting you again.

coover
November 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Quote from xcoach2 "Poly is going to Huntsville because they don't have a choice. Tell' ya what. Get back to me Sunday evening and let me know if Sam has beaten any "decent" teams. Deal"

Frankly, I have no idea which team will end up on top, but you, obviously have already made your decision. And the game hasn't even been played yet.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
That, sir, is a deal.

Frankly, I have no idea which team will end up on top, but you, obviously have already made your decision. And the game hasn't even been played yet.

Don't worry. He won't be here if Poly were able to pull it out.

coover
November 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Don't worry. He won't be here if Poly were able to pull it out. Yes, I know.

Maroons
November 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Somewhere in here was a really interesting discussion about statistical measures versus the eye test...

...but as is par for the course, it has been reduced to a pissing contest between schools/conferences because of perceived slights.

I fully expect that my reward for participating will be to have my own school and/or conference insulted.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Somewhere in here was a really interesting discussion about statistical measures versus the eye test...

...but as is par for the course, it has been reduced to a pissing contest between schools/conferences because of perceived slights.

I fully expect that my reward for participating will be to have my own school and/or conference insulted.

Seriously, is this all you do on AGS is cry about EKU/OVC being insulted? I'll go there if you want?

coover
November 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM

I fully expect that my reward for participating will be to have my own school and/or conference insulted.Don't know a thing about Eastern Kentucky. I guess I could look up which conference it is in, but that is too much work right now. I shall not insult you at this time.

Are there any valid areasons to insult Eastern Kentucky?

Hammerhead
November 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM
According to the Sagarin Ratings, Georgia Southern is behind 5 MVFC teams and ODU is behind seven.

Both the Massey and Sagarin are consistent with their rankings. Unfortunately on Saturday one MVFC team will eliminate another. In both the Massey and Sagarin NDSU and SDSU are ranked in the top five.

Maroons
November 29th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Seriously, is this all you do on AGS is cry about EKU/OVC being insulted? I'll go there if you want?

No, no... go ahead. I believe that is the price one has to pay to participate in one of these threads. Wasn't that FargoBison's point with his sweet meme of Alec Baldwin?

Don't know a thing about Eastern Kentucky. I guess I could look up which conference it is in, but that is too much work right now. I shall not insult you at this time.

Are there any valid areasons to insult Eastern Kentucky?

Thank you for the reprieve! I'm sure we'll get a chance to pick up the verbal sparring on another thread.

Now... at the risk of getting back to the original post... what are these Massey ratings you speak of? Are they heavily skewed by playing body bag games against FBS teams? Are they a fair judge of a conference, but a poor judge elite teams that may come from the conference? That seems to be what some have argued...

LuckyKat
November 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Number of teams still in playoffs in parentheses

1. Missouri Valley (3)
2. Big Sky (3)
3. Southland (2)
4. Southern (3)
5. Ohio Valley (0)
6. Colonial (2)
7. Patriot (0)
8. Ivy (NA)
9. Northeast (1)
10. Big South (2)
11. Mid-Eastern (0)
12. Pioneer (0)
13. Southwestern (NA)

I CAN DIG IT!

NDB
November 29th, 2012, 11:12 PM
It wouldn't be a very big surprise to see all 3 Big Sky teams in the field of 8.

Same thing for the Missouri Valley.

dystopiamembrane
November 29th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Same thing for the Missouri Valley.
That would be quite a surprise.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2012, 11:50 PM
That would be quite a surprise.

Yeah, considering 2 of the 3 play each other in the second round...

Lehigh'98
November 30th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Not sure how Southland and OVC are ahead of CAA???? Makes little sense.

I-AA Fan
November 30th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Massey has 3-8 Missouri St at #30 because of their #1 SOS. SOS must be a huge factor in his ratings that's why UNI is #12 with a 5-6 (4-6 DI games) record.

Correct on SOS for both. However, you also need to look at the games played ...and masey does this ...though I am not a huge fan ...he is the most consistent over the seasons. I prefer sagarin in an individual season ...as he rates the IA teams where they belong as opposition. Look at UNI ...that 5-6 record is very deceiving. They opened with an OT loss to what was then a top-5 BCS Wisconsin team. They had a solid game against Iowa, also was a ranked team out of the big-10 at the time. They then lost to pre-collapse YSU, who was clearly the best (and hottest) team in the country when they met ...Ranked at #2, and averaging over 45-points a game.

Now yes we all know what happened to all three of those UNI opponents throughout the season. However the fact is ...they were all highly-ranked (and playing like it) at the time UNI met with them. All of these Panther matches were great games. UW went into OT, and the YSU game went down to the last play in regulation. Too many fans here are full of pride and do not really look at teams in the needed details ...Massey does this, and I respect it. If we all looked into the detail of a particular team's play each week ...we would know just how good they truly are. RadioHead, consider yourself lucky you get ILS ..a team I consider barely a top-half team from the MVFC ...but do not overlook them ...they did win enough games to get a card for the dance.

Sam_Kats
November 30th, 2012, 08:38 AM
This thread makes me want to hurl.

And some wonder why teams ONLY come around during playoff time?? It's the only time the rest of the country can stomach the Dakota 'pee-pee measuring match' that takes up 80% of this board. You guys refer to those hurling as 'Decembrist.' How cute.

ITmonarch10
November 30th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Not sure how Southland and OVC are ahead of CAA???? Makes little sense.

We have some serious dead weight in the CAA this year. Rhode Island & GaState are the main offenders. I watched CAA teams ratings go down by simply not beating them by enough points. Then we have Maine & W&M choking to teams in none/semi power conferences. The final problems is the CAA good teams just happened to play a lot of teams that are sucking like crazy.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Having the CAA ranked below the OVC destroys any credibility that these computer rankings have.

Also, expect the SoCon to be higher after the playoffs are done than right now. We usually are.

downbythebeach
November 30th, 2012, 09:17 AM
The CAA with Rhode Island and GA State is right where it should be. GA State would lose to Lambuth again this year if they played, and URI would be in last place in the Pioneer if they switched conferences.

Sam_Kats
November 30th, 2012, 10:46 AM
From the Sports Network breakdowns...interesting. You know, since the Southland is so weak:

"Southland Conference teams are 9-3 overall when playing home games versus the Big Sky Conference, while Big Sky teams are 0-4 all-time in the postseason at Sam Houston State."

jub1982
November 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Numbers can be manipulated to mean anything you want. The committee obviously didn't think of the MVC this high. Its difficult to get an accurate assessment of conferences when teams only have three out of conference games and at least one is against an FBS team. At least we decide it on the field and these different computer rankings don't mean much.

Walkon79
November 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
From the Sports Network breakdowns...interesting. You know, since the Southland is so weak:

"Southland Conference teams are 9-3 overall when playing home games versus the Big Sky Conference, while Big Sky teams are 0-4 all-time in the postseason at Sam Houston State."

And how good is the Southland on the road against the Big Sky? Better yet, lets look at EVERY conference's winning % at home vs. on the road in the playoffs.

Geesh!!!

lionsrking2
November 30th, 2012, 03:47 PM
And how good is the Southland on the road against the Big Sky? Better yet, lets look at EVERY conference's winning % at home vs. on the road in the playoffs.

Geesh!!!

Big Sky schools have a much greater home-field advantage in late November/December (when and where most of the matchups have taken place) vs southern schools than the other way around due to the weather. It's easier for a Big Sky school to come south and adjust than it is for a Southland school to go north. SFA was the fifth-placed team in the SLC this year and it took a late score by Montana State to pull that one out at home, 43-35. But that game was played in September when the elements weren't an issue ... had it been played now, it's probably a much bigger Montana State win. Of course we saw what happened when Montana State and Montana played at SHSU last year.

Walkon79
November 30th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Gearing up for the weather and altitude excuse? Maybe it was too hot in Huntsville last December?

Whatever. The point is that Sam-Kats threw out playoff home records to make a point about strength of conference. Just doesn't hold water in my view. Probably every conference wins about 75% of their home playoff games, give or take a few % points.

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
As I Bison fan, I am embarrassed for how often pissing matches occurs on these boards. NDSU fans, let the numbers speak for themselves. UND is lower than us, we can be happy about that. When the tables are turned, it sucks. But don't come on to threads for the ENTIRE COUNTRY and turn it into one back and forth for 3 pages. I didn't even read it.

I personally lost all credability for this Massy ratings when I saw the OVC ahead of CAA. OVC is trash, I personally watched EIU get throttled by SDSU last week, it was laughable. Hopefully the Bison can do that to the Wabbits tomorrow.

Maroons
November 30th, 2012, 09:00 PM
As I Bison fan, I am embarrassed for how often pissing matches occurs on these boards. NDSU fans, let the numbers speak for themselves. UND is lower than us, we can be happy about that. When the tables are turned, it sucks. But don't come on to threads for the ENTIRE COUNTRY and turn it into one back and forth for 3 pages. I didn't even read it.

I personally lost all credability for this Massy ratings when I saw the OVC ahead of CAA. OVC is trash, I personally watched EIU get throttled by SDSU last week, it was laughable. Hopefully the Bison can do that to the Wabbits tomorrow.

Agreed on the point about pissing matches.

About the OVC and CAA in the Massy ratings, though: is it possible that Massy is simply reflecting the quality of the conference from top to bottom, without particular regard for elite teams?

I would argue that the OVC was without an elite team, but had seven teams that were well above average and two teams that were poor. Does the lack of an elite team mean that the conference as a whole might not have been strong?

And look, I'm not arguing that the EIU/SDSU game was anything but an unmitigated butt whipping... but wasn't SDSU widely regarded as the best team in the first round? EIU was merely the best of a bunch of good teams (but none great) by my reasoning. So that outcome is not all that surprising.

And finally, must that one game (as lopsided as it was), be the measure of the entire conference for the year? Is that statistically valuable?

Maybe I'm grasping for a silver lining, but the Massy ratings certainly weren't developed by an OVC fan. I'd like to know why the OVC ranked higher than the CAA. Some CAA fans have said the conference was dragged down by several dead weight teams. Is that so implausible?

frozennorth
November 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM
eiu probably wasn't the best team in what was a pretty balanced year for the OVC. The CAA also had a pretty mediocre ooc showing. The southland I'm pretty perplexed by, however. SHSU and UCA are both excellent, but the rest of the conference is unimpressive imo.