PDA

View Full Version : The PL, it's AI and who is conforming.....

CFBfan
November 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Fordham has this posted on a recruiting website:

Nov 28, 2012 Fordham University - NCAA I-AA What They Need:
GPA: 2.8 (out of 4.0)
SAT: 900 (out of 1600) ACT: 17 (out of 36)
Height: 72 Positions They Are Recruiting:
Senior: All Positions
What They Are Saying:
"Very Good Academic School. Loacated in New York City. Very Beautiful Campus. Rich tradition and History of College Football. Home of Vince Lombardi."

Is that not "dipping below" the leagues AI??

Fordham
November 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Did the ID of the poster who put that up start with "Bogus..."? :D Honestly, not sure. What are the "AI" numbers so we can compare them to what's posted?

Also, where's the link? Not doubting it, just curious. I don't know the AI bands well enough to know whether or not this is the lowest band available or if it's significantly or even just below the lowest AI band. One thing I know about the AI is that you can only take so many kids from each band. Oddly, my understanding is that this restriction also applied to the highest band. I remember Massella's coaches saying how nuts it was that they could only take "x" number of kids from the top academic band. That still doesn't sound right to me but it does sound correct that you can only take one player in the lowest and then more players as the academics go up.

Again, though, what are the actual AI numbers from the lowest band so we can compare it to what's posted?

CFBfan
November 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM
It is on the "NCSA" site where players can post their stats and hi-lites for colleges to view and colleges post their recruiting needs for players to view.
My understanding is that NCSA is "THE" service for this. So in short, Fordham posted this data as have most colleges in the country.

Fordham
November 29th, 2012, 09:10 AM
what is the lowest band of the AI, though? Is that number posted by us below it or is it the lowest band?

do any other PL schools post there?

I'd also like to know who spelled "Located" wrong immediately following a statement that we are a "Very Good Academic School."

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2012, 09:10 AM
A 2.8 and 900 would not even be close to Fordham's lower band unless Fordham's average SAT is 1,000. I know Fordham is significantly higher than that.

The numbers above may be just over NCAA D-I minimums.

danefan
November 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM
It doesn't mean they're going to get those kids in. By why wouldn't you look at them? Maybe the kid takes the SATs again. Maybe his GPA goes up.

They're just trying to get as many potential candidates on their radar screen as possible.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM
A 2.8 and 900 would not even be close to Fordham's lower band unless Fordham's average SAT is 1,000. I know Fordham is significantly higher than that.

SAT's by PL school (middle 50%)

Georgetown 1290-1490
Colgate 1260-1440
Lehigh: 1220-1400
Bucknell: 1220-1400
Holy Cross: 1210-1390
Lafayette: 1200-1380
Fordham: 1150-1350

CFBfan
November 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM

I don't think so, they are above the NCAA minimums

CFBfan
November 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
It doesn't mean they're going to get those kids in. By why wouldn't you look at them? Maybe the kid takes the SATs again. Maybe his GPA goes up.

They're just trying to get as many potential candidates on their radar screen as possible.

good insight Dane

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Fordham has this posted on a recruiting website:

Nov 28, 2012 Fordham University - NCAA I-AA What They Need:
GPA: 2.8 (out of 4.0)
SAT: 900 (out of 1600) ACT: 17 (out of 36)
Height: 72 Positions They Are Recruiting:
Senior: All Positions
What They Are Saying:
"Very Good Academic School. Loacated in New York City. Very Beautiful Campus. Rich tradition and History of College Football. Home of Vince Lombardi."

Is that not "dipping below" the leagues AI??

Yes, those numbers look like NCAA minimums. It's not very believable.

The Patriot League, as a whole, is more rigorous in its admissions standards than the Ivies, or so we've long heard. I have to imagine the Ivy minimum is 1100 SAT.

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I don't think so, they are above the NCAA minimums

I just checked.

A 2.8 GPA requires a SAT of at least 700.

A 900 SAT requires a minimum GPA of 2.3.

The metrics above are a fair amount above the absolute bottom, but I would be surpised if Fordham has anyone on the team with a 900 SAT.

MplsBison
November 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM

Just a wild thought - I wonder if any PL coaches try to get to obviously gifted athletes but with average grades around say around soph year in high school with a message like "if you focus and work hard to get your grades and test scores up, you'll have a scholarship waiting for you here and a high paying job when you graduate". Something like that?

MplsBison
November 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I just checked.

A 2.8 GPA requires a SAT of at least 700.

A 900 SAT requires a minimum GPA of 2.3.

The metrics above are a fair amount above the absolute bottom, but I would be surpised if Fordham has anyone on the team with a 900 SAT.

I'd be curious to know, though: does the football coach or athletic director have enough clout to get a talent athlete with a 2.8/900 into the school?

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I'd be curious to know, though: does the football coach or athletic director have enough clout to get a talent athlete with a 2.8/900 into the school?

Good question- ask a Lehigh fan.

Technically someone who falls out of the AI cannot be admitted.

danefan
November 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Just a wild thought - I wonder if any PL coaches try to get to obviously gifted athletes but with average grades around say around soph year in high school with a message like "if you focus and work hard to get your grades and test scores up, you'll have a scholarship waiting for you here and a high paying job when you graduate". Something like that?

No FCS teams are looking at kids that young. Most FCS school, PL included, are picking up the scraps of Juniors Seniors that the FBS schools expressed early interest in, but no longer want.

There is ample time during the recruiting process to take the SATs more than once and get your high school grades up.

RichH2
November 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Inasmuch as all recruits must go thru PL review to assure none are under the AI floor I would give little credence to that blurb. Schools are free to admit any applicant they choose with the caveat that recruited football recruits must be above AI floor. Banding of individual recruit classes does not alter PL floor.

Bill
November 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Yes - they have in the past, but we're talking maybe once every couple of years, and there usually has to be some other special circumstance, like a local kid. I can think of one example in particular with Lehigh circa 2000. Not sure what it's like now. I am also aware of a special Colgate admit in the mid 90's (who was a real impact player), but also not sure what they do now...

MplsBison
November 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Inasmuch as all recruits must go thru PL review to assure none are under the AI floor I would give little credence to that blurb. Schools are free to admit any applicant they choose with the caveat that recruited football recruits must be above AI floor. Banding of individual recruit classes does not alter PL floor.

Ah...so do the PL schools have "true walkons". Obviously it would probably be impossible to get admitted to any PL school with 2.8/900 ... but I can see how it would "work". Kid isn't "recruited" and decides he'll try to gain admission on his own and then walkon to the team....

RichH2
November 29th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Bill,
Pre AI ,I also know of special admits at some schools. We are probably both thinking of same one for LU back then. One of the reasons why I am not a big fan of AI floor. Today, not possible for recruited football recruit. As mentioned earlier PL in the unusual position that Ivies can admit recruits that we cannot.

Bill
November 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Bison
Yes, that is correct...

van
November 29th, 2012, 02:07 PM

No, but we recommend they check out Fargo!

MplsBison
November 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Bison
Yes, that is correct...

Is it at all reasonable that any PL football coach would "encourage" the admission of a prospective walkon player with lower than the school average admissions metrics simply to bypass the requirements for a "recruited" player?

Ha! That'd really be something. Hey Fordham coach...why do your starting 22 all have less than 1000 SAT scores? Coach's response: what? I didn't break any rules, they're all walkons.

Bill
November 29th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Well, not really.
There's no way that kid gets into school through bypassing the requirements...unless he's the son of a very wealthy alum who gives lots of money - but that's a different thread :)

RichH2
November 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Sure coach could do that, I guess, but that kid best have a rich Dad to pay his tuition.

MplsBison
November 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Well, not really.
There's no way that kid gets into school through bypassing the requirements...unless he's the son of a very wealthy alum who gives lots of money - but that's a different thread :)

Or the football coach "encourages" the admissions department....

MplsBison
November 29th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Sure coach could do that, I guess, but that kid best have a rich Dad to pay his tuition.

Well of course once the kid is in the school and on the team for a couple years, he'll get a full scholarship. By that time he'll have proven himself out academically (made it or flunked out).

RichH2
November 29th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Sorry Mpls,
No he can never get a schollie. Eligibility set as of entrance. If he was under AI then no schollie. Since PL counts all scholarship aid whether need or merit towards its 60 schollies limit not likely he could get need aid either.

van
November 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Time for some Mark Twain advice. xdeadhorsex