PDA

View Full Version : ASU Decides Not To Have JMU Game On ESPNU

JMU Duke Dog
August 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Well I think the James Madison at Appalachian State game will not be televised any longer after reading this article from a Winston-Salem newspaper yesterday. I am glad I got my tickets and that the game will remain on a Saturday!

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149190021355&path=%21sports&s=1037645509200

ASU decides not to have game on ESPNU

By Tommy Bowman
JOURNAL REPORTER

Appalachian State would like additional television coverage coming off its national-championship season, but has turned down an offer from ESPNU to move its Sept. 9 game against James Madison to Thursday night, Sept. 7.

Mike Flynn, the sports-information director at ASU, said the reason was threefold - not wanting a short preparation week after the Sept. 2 opener against N.C. State, the fact that a lot of tickets had already been sold for the Saturday game against James Madison and the potential downside of being on television opposite the NFL season opener on NBC.

"While national television exposure is great, (athletics director) Charlie Cobb made the decision based on three very compelling reasons," Flynn said.

(continued...)

AppGuy04
August 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Good move and shows alot of respect for the JMU squad

WMTribe90
August 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Good for him, I think that's a great decision honestly. TV exposure is great, but the players and fans deserve first consideration. The Thurs game would put the players at a competitive disadvantage coming off the NCST game and less fans would have been able to attend. Kudos to ASU.

MYTAPPY
August 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM
A Thursday game would of sucked. I'm glad Cobb decided to leave it on Saturday. Better for fans all around. I'm sure too that JMU didn't want to be embarrased on national television also.;)

AppGuy04
August 17th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Nobody watches ESPNU anyways

GannonFan
August 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Agreed, we're not talking about that much exposure here - it's only ESPNU and they'd be going up against the NFL game, which I think is Pittsburgh/Miami. No question, not worth the minimal exposure they could get.

putter
August 17th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Agreed, we're not talking about that much exposure here - it's only ESPNU and they'd be going up against the NFL game, which I think is Pittsburgh/Miami. No question, not worth the minimal exposure they could get.

Unfortunately that is why they wanted a I-AA game. :(

bigred
August 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Not many I-A programs would make that call.....respect to ASU!

jmuroller
August 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM
So where are the ASU fans that came on our boards raising hell that the Thursday switch was a rumor coming from the JMU side? Nice call on that one...

Saint3333
August 17th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I believe you are referring to ONE (maybe two) ASU fans. Many have known for a long time that the Thursday game was discussed, but rumor was that Charlie turned down the deal from the beginning. Check the MMB messages from about 3 weeks ago. The other rumor was that Turner South picked up the game guess not...:bawling:

I agree I'm glad ASU kept the game on Saturday they will need those extra days to recover and prep, plus the crowd would not have been 2/3s of what it will be Sept. 9th.

jmuroller
August 17th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I believe you are referring to ONE (maybe two) ASU fans. Many have known for a long time that the Thursday game was discussed, but rumor was that Charlie turned down the deal from the beginning. Check the MMB messages from about 3 weeks ago. The other rumor was that Turner South picked up the game guess not...:bawling:

I agree I'm glad ASU kept the game on Saturday they will need those extra days to recover and prep, plus the crowd would not have been 2/3s of what it will be Sept. 9th.

I am glad also that the game will be played on Saturday. Thursday on ESPN would be great, but that should have been schedule months ago. On ASU's side it would not be good to play NC State on Sat, and then turn around play us 5 days later. I can't believe that game isn't on a big time TV audience though. Someone blew this big time. I put the blame on ASU and JMU collectively.

GOKATS
August 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I applaud ASU for their decision- great move. xsmileyclapx

SoCon48
August 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM
So where are the ASU fans that came on our boards raising hell that the Thursday switch was a rumor coming from the JMU side? Nice call on that one...
Thursday has been OUT for two months. ASU was trying to get a Saturday game televised, but all they could get were ones in which ASU would have to eat the cost.

Mr. C
August 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I can't believe that a game between the past two I-AA champions isn't being picked up for a Saturday by CSTV, Fox or someone. This is the non-conference game of the year. You would think that a station in North Carolina would buy it and syndicate it regionally. Real short sighted.

Kudos to Charlie Cobb on nixing ESPNU (which doesn't even cover that many homes yet).

jmuroller
August 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Thursday has been OUT for two months. ASU was trying to get a Saturday game televised, but all they could get were ones in which ASU would have to eat the cost.

You must not be able to read?:read: