November 28th, 2012, 11:08 AM
The top 3 finalists were announced today:

FB Eric Breitenstein of Wofford

QB Taylor Heinicke of Old Dominion

RB Miguel Maysonet of Stony Brook

Who wins it?

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2012, 11:11 AM
by the way, I think saying any of these guys benefit from being "system players" is invalid because........they're all system players

Bison56
November 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 11:16 AM
That's easy. Just look at the stats leaders.

NDSUBowler
November 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM
But...but....but.....he isn't even a CSM 1st 2nd or 3rd team All-American!

TheRevSFA
November 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Maysonet

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Were the finalists selected prior to last weekend's playoff games? If not, I think Zach Zenner should've been there over Breitenstein.

Breitenstein: 267 attempts, 1639 yards, 6.1 ypc, 22 TDs
Zenner: 285 attempts, 1998 yards, 7 ypc, 14 TDs

I think Heinicke wins it out of these 3 though.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Was this selected prior to last weekend's playoff games? If not, I think Zach Zenner should've been there over Breitenstein.

That stat is definitely over 2 years old...EB is 244 for 1653 for 6.7 ypc with 16 TDs. In the grand scheme of things, what's .24 yards?

Also, the award itself isn't exclusively a stat game, obviously if EB got in before Zenner.

either way, Zenner's stats are from after this weekend

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-indrushing.htm

ITmonarch10
November 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Others who received votes

2012 Remaining Walter Payton Award Voting

# Name
School
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
Total

4. Erik Lora
Eastern Illinois

5. Gavin McCarney
Colgate

6. Casey Brockman
Murray St.

7. Zach Zenner
South Dakota St

8. Aaron Mellette
Elon

9. DeNarius McGhee
Montana St

10. Jimmy Garoppolo
E. Illinois

11. Wynrick Smothers
C. Arkansas

12. Shakir Bell
Indiana St.

13. Timothy Flanders
Sam Houston St.

14. Jamal Jackson
Appalachian St.

15. Brad Sorensen
Southern Utah

16. Deonte Williams
Cal Poly

17. Zach Bauman
N. Arizona

18. Terrance West
Towson

19. Matt Denham
E. Kentucky

20. Jamaine Cook
Youngstown State

Honestly, It going to be either Maysonet or Heinicke.
So as an ODU fan, i'm going to chose Taylor Heinicke.

I'm surprised Zach Zenner was 7th.

asujch
November 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Heinicke by a large margin, Breitenstein second, Maysonet third. Breitenstien's stock is hurt by the fact that wofford played a bad Gardner-Webb team and DII Lincoln.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Heinicke by a large margin, Breitenstein second, Zenner third. Breitenstien's stock is hurt by the fact that wofford played a bad Gardner-Webb team and DII Lincoln.

D2 Lincoln of which he had 5 carries for 35 yards, with him leaving after like the first quarter? That's right, EB has his stats and barely played against D2 Lincoln.....so it's practically 10 games worth. Zenner isn't in contention.

I'm homering big time, I'm not going to argue that, but EB put up similar numbers as Maysonet against wayyyyy tougher competition, so I would give him the edge.

ITmonarch10
November 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM
ODU is going to be FCS independent next year and over the scholarship limit to go to FBS. Are our players still eligible for FCS awards next year?

ITmonarch10
November 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Heinicke by a large margin, Breitenstein second, Maysonet third. Breitenstien's stock is hurt by the fact that wofford played a bad Gardner-Webb team and DII Lincoln.

We played Campbell though:(..... They are last in the Massey FCS ratings.

knucklehead
November 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I saw both Heinicke and Maysonet play in person this year. It's really close between those 2, but I'd give it to Heinicke by a very slim margin.

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM
That stat is definitely over 2 years old...EB is 244 for 1653 for 6.7 ypc with 16 TDs. In the grand scheme of things, what's .24 yards?

Also, the award itself isn't exclusively a stat game, obviously if EB got in before Zenner.

either way, Zenner's stats are from after this weekend

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-indrushing.htm
You're right, my mistake on EB's stat line. I still think Zenner was deserving of being a finalist but the fact that he is a sophomore and EB is a senior influenced voters.

Kemo
November 28th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised Zach Zenner was 7th.
I'm not surprised at all. SDSU has been an afterthought to every poll/ranking/selection that involves a human element, why would the Walter Payton Award be any different.

Oh well, at least we still have the chance to make a few voters reconsider their previous assumptions. Thank God for the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
You're right, my mistake on EB's stat line. I still think Zenner was deserving of being a finalist but the fact that he is a sophomore and EB is a senior influenced voters.

Zenner is definitely a stud playing in the MVC and putting up those numbers.

kdinva
November 28th, 2012, 02:46 PM
No cries of "east coast bias"? xbadx

seriously, three fine ballplayers.

Franks Tanks
November 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM
D2 Lincoln of which he had 5 carries for 35 yards, with him leaving after like the first quarter? That's right, EB has his stats and barely played against D2 Lincoln.....so it's practically 10 games worth. Zenner isn't in contention.

I'm homering big time, I'm not going to argue that, but EB put up similar numbers as Maysonet against wayyyyy tougher competition, so I would give him the edge.

Maysonet had 158 against Syracuse, 220 against Army and 160 vs. Nova this week. His backup is Coker forerly of Iowa who was 2nd in the Big 10 in rushing last year.

ecasadoSBU
November 28th, 2012, 03:18 PM
maysonet

millwoga1
November 28th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Maysonet had 158 against Syracuse, 220 against Army and 160 vs. Nova this week. His backup is Coker forerly of Iowa who was 2nd in the Big 10 in rushing last year.

Army is 118th (third to last) in FBS rushing defense. I'm sure many of the FCS defenses would do better than this team.

Franks Tanks
November 28th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Army is 118th (third to last) in FBS rushing defense. I'm sure many of the FCS defenses would do better than this team.

It is still 220 yards. SBU has a limited passing attack as well with defenses keying on Maysonet. He is the best FCS RB i've seen in a few years.

millwoga1
November 28th, 2012, 03:44 PM
It is still 220 yards. SBU has a limited passing attack as well with defenses keying on Maysonet. He is the best FCS RB i've seen in a few years.

220 is impressive no matter who you play, just pointing out that their defense is likely about as good as an average fcs defense vs. the run

millwoga1
November 28th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Eric Breitenstein vs. South Carolina 28 carries 125 yds
M. Gilleslee (U. of Florida) vs. South Carolina 19 rushes 37 yds
T. Gurley (UGA) vs. South Carolina 13 rushes 39 yds

smallcollegefbfan
November 28th, 2012, 05:36 PM
But...but....but.....he isn't even a CSM 1st 2nd or 3rd team All-American!

I hope you guys know I posted those more for the laugh. I was hoping they would look good but it was obvious at the omissions that they just put names in a hat or were trying to stand out and look weird to create discussion. When it's obvious that was done the best thing to do is drop it and ignore the list. The more attention you give them by laughing at them the more their name gets out lol.

smallcollegefbfan
November 28th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Eric Breitenstein vs. South Carolina 28 carries 125 yds
M. Gilleslee (U. of Florida) vs. South Carolina 19 rushes 37 yds
T. Gurley (UGA) vs. South Carolina 13 rushes 39 yds

I love Eric to death at this level but comparing those numbers is not a very good gauge. He comes from an offense that the FB is going to average at least 5-6 yards per carry and have a good game. Every year Wofford played SC they have had a RB do well.

You have to also remember that South Carolina played that game late in the season and had their mind on other things. I really beleived that game would be tight and it is suppose to be tight because of that. Look at all the FCS vs. FBS games played early in the season and then later in the season. These BCS teams have much bigger games on their plate and thus don't put nearly half the time into FCS teams late in the year because of that. EB was not given the same focus as Gurley and others were.

millwoga1
November 28th, 2012, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=SmallCollegeFBFan;1903741]I love Eric to death at this level but comparing those numbers is not a very good gauge. He comes from an offense that the FB is going to average at least 5-6 yards per carry and have a good game. Every year Wofford played SC they have had a RB do well.

You have to also remember that South Carolina played that game late in the season and had their mind on other things. I really beleived that game would be tight and it is suppose to be tight because of that. Look at all the FCS vs. FBS games played early in the season and then later in the season. These BCS teams have much bigger games on their plate and thus don't put nearly half the time into FCS teams late in the year because of that. EB was not given the same focus as Gurley and others were.[/

Point taken but I do think that it was impressive for him to single handily out gain in rushing yards 9 of the 11 other teams that USC played this year.

dungeonjoe
November 28th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Wofford played them that close earlier in the season the last couple of times they have played USC. The time of the year doesn't matter with that point.

September 16, 2006 Wofford lost 27-20 . 2008 23-13 terriers loss. If anything the margin of victory was greater in the 2012 loss.

md64179
November 28th, 2012, 07:43 PM
My heart says EB but my head says Heinicke (730 in one game is crazy playstation numbers). All three are great players!

Seawolf97
November 28th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Of course Maysonet . Thank god we got him from Hofstra.

344Johnson
November 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Award is invalid because no bison are on it. I kid.

I'd give it to this Breitenstein guy.

pbr1893
November 28th, 2012, 08:48 PM
yeah, that kid breitenstein, who plays for app should win it! great kid and just a hard nosed baller...say what?? huh??/ he didn't go to app like the rest of his family...wtf?! i went to school with his sister who's roughly 20 years older...tailgated with his family by chance at wofford last year...super good people and im still pissed he didnt get an offer to app!

Mr. C
November 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I love Eric to death at this level but comparing those numbers is not a very good gauge. He comes from an offense that the FB is going to average at least 5-6 yards per carry and have a good game. Every year Wofford played SC they have had a RB do well.

You have to also remember that South Carolina played that game late in the season and had their mind on other things. I really beleived that game would be tight and it is suppose to be tight because of that. Look at all the FCS vs. FBS games played early in the season and then later in the season. These BCS teams have much bigger games on their plate and thus don't put nearly half the time into FCS teams late in the year because of that. EB was not given the same focus as Gurley and others were.

I have to STRONGLY disagree with you. A great FB is one of the biggest keys to the success of the option and Breitenstein is not only the best FB Wofford has ever had, he is also one of the best FBs in FCS history.

Mr. C
November 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM
ODU is going to be FCS independent next year and over the scholarship limit to go to FBS. Are our players still eligible for FCS awards next year?

No. ODU will be a transitional FBS team next year, not FCS.

Mr. C
November 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I saw both Heinicke and Maysonet play in person this year. It's really close between those 2, but I'd give it to Heinicke by a very slim margin.

I've seen all three numerous times during their college careers and covered Breitenstein all the way back to his high school days. Maysonet, among other things, will play on Sundays. He is the most talented in my mind and has had the best year.

Mr. C
November 28th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Were the finalists selected prior to last weekend's playoff games? If not, I think Zach Zenner should've been there over Breitenstein.

I think Heinicke wins it out of these 3 though.

TSN's awards are regular season awards and the voting is due back before any playoff games are played. Other organizations like CSJ and CSN base awards on the ENTIRE season.

Monarch History
November 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I have not seen Breitenstein or Maysonet play, but I have seen all of Heinicke's games. The kid is amazing and this year's stats prove it; 4,158 passing yards; 377 all purpose yards; 35 touch downs,; 68.2 %. As each school/conference would like to see their candidate win, I am no different. Heinicke for the Payton Award!

Mr. C
November 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I have not seen Breitenstein or Maysonet play, but I have seen all of Heinicke's games. The kid is amazing and this year's stats prove it; 4,158 passing yards; 377 all purpose yards; 35 touch downs,; 68.2 %. As each school/conference would like to see their candidate win, I am no different. Heinicke for the Payton Award!

You say you haven't seen the other two, so how do you know that Heinicke, based solely on throwing out stats, is the one who should win? You might want to watch some FCS football outside of the CAA footprint.

DJnva
November 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Well, since most ODU fans are tailgating all day, we should really rush home and catch the FCS highlights on SportsCenter.

Mr. C
November 28th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Well, since most ODU fans are tailgating all day, we should really rush home and catch the FCS highlights on SportsCenter.

With the ESPN3 replays available now, it is easier than ever to see teams from FCS all over the country. So I can expect plenty of tailgating when I'm down at Foreman Stadium for the quarterfinals?

ITmonarch10
November 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM
You say you haven't seen the other two, so how do you know that Heinicke, based solely on throwing out stats, is the one who should win? You might want to watch some FCS football outside of the CAA footprint.

Yeah, it was an ignorant thing to say. However........

I didn't see Breitenstein much because The SoCon TV contract just plain sucks and your games never reach outside the SoCon footprint.The only stream game for Wofford I saw was against El Cid and I did't really care for it because El Cid was already on decline. So the only reference I have for Breitenstein is against USCe. Ask NBCsports to put your games on TV already.

I didn't see Maysonet at all. The Big South doesn't seem to exist on Television and I couldn't find a free Stony Brook stream before the playoffs even when I tried. All I have for him are highlights.

My FCS Viewing habits
CAA: Seemed to be the easiest for me because of NBCSports and the CAA stretching multiple comcast markets. I just happen to live in Virginia.
Big Sky: Never on TV for east coasters ;however, I found several online streams fairy easy. Root Sports seems to care a lot more than other networks when it comes to FCS football.
MVFC: I randomly see listing for these on TV ,but also found some streams. OMG I never head someone pronounce "bison" as "bizon" before watch their games.
SoCon: Never on TV for me and difficult to find live streams for. Admittedly, It could be the times I look for games because we are in the same exact time zone.
OVC: I randomly see listing for these on TV but never watched a single game. I have seen several free streaming links.
IVY: NBC Sports.... I kinda wish they would replace them with the SoCon. Only Harvard vs Yale didn't have boring as hell crowds.
Big South\ Southland : I couldn't really find much for either conference. I think I remember seeing the Central Ark and Sam Houston game and that's about it.

cbarrier90
November 28th, 2012, 11:45 PM
yeah, that kid breitenstein, who plays for app should win it! great kid and just a hard nosed baller...say what?? huh??/ he didn't go to app like the rest of his family...wtf?! i went to school with his sister who's roughly 20 years older...tailgated with his family by chance at wofford last year...super good people and im still pissed he didnt get an offer to app!

You know, we should keep mentioning this subject because it really hasn't been beaten to death for the last 5 years.

Located somewhere between Wofford and Furman is Greenwood, SC. Game, set, match.

HailSzczur
November 28th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Seen both Maysonet and Heinicke against Nova. I'm going to have say I like Heinicke. It wasn't just because 1 or 2 crazy good All American receivers, he had 4, 500+ yd receivers and another 4, 200+ receivers. Maysonet had a fantastic season, but Stony Brook also had another fantastic back to use. I guess I'm looking at this in more of an MVP way than a best offensive player way

seantaylor
November 29th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Breitenstein.

Twentysix
November 29th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Yeah, it was an ignorant thing to say. However........

I didn't see Breitenstein much because The SoCon TV contract just plain sucks and your games never reach outside the SoCon footprint.The only stream game for Wofford I saw was against El Cid and I did't really care for it because El Cid was already on decline. So the only reference I have for Breitenstein is against USCe. Ask NBCsports to put your games on TV already.

I didn't see Maysonet at all. The Big South doesn't seem to exist on Television and I couldn't find a free Stony Brook stream before the playoffs even when I tried. All I have for him are highlights.

My FCS Viewing habits
CAA: Seemed to be the easiest for me because of NBCSports and the CAA stretching multiple comcast markets. I just happen to live in Virginia.
Big Sky: Never on TV for east coasters ;however, I found several online streams fairy easy. Root Sports seems to care a lot more than other networks when it comes to FCS football.
MVFC: I randomly see listing for these on TV ,but also found some streams. OMG I never head someone pronounce "bison" as "bizon" before watch their games.
SoCon: Never on TV for me and difficult to find live streams for. Admittedly, It could be the times I look for games because we are in the same exact time zone.
OVC: I randomly see listing for these on TV but never watched a single game. I have seen several free streaming links.
IVY: NBC Sports.... I kinda wish they would replace them with the SoCon. Only Harvard vs Yale didn't have boring as hell crowds.
Big South\ Southland : I couldn't really find much for either conference. I think I remember seeing the Central Ark and Sam Houston game and that's about it.

bi-zun get it right right coaster. NDSU's tv deal is pretty flippin sweet for an FCS school and it has been improving every year. http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SPID=695&SPSID=11844 shows the TV lineup

lionsrking2
November 29th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Of the three finalists, I would go with Maysonet but Zack Zenner should have been a finalist over the Breitenstein cat ... not even close IMO. Switch teams and Zenner still puts up the numbers ... I don't think the other guy could do what Zenner does from the I-formation.

Monarch History
November 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM

I guess I should have said IMHO, because it is just an opinion!

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Of the three finalists, I would go with Maysonet but Zack Zenner should have been a finalist over the Breitenstein cat ... not even close IMO. Switch teams and Zenner still puts up the numbers ... I don't think the other guy could do what Zenner does from the I-formation.

I formation=guy has a lead blocker

triple option=ummmmm......no lead blocker for the fullback, the position Eric Breitenstein plays

The triple option isn't really a system that creates godly numbers for individuals as it's supposed to split carries and yardage between a variety of backs. Usually you get a good ypc number for the pitch guys, but not the FB.

And EB manages to fall forward for at least an extra yard seemingly every time he's hit after contact.

You don't know football brah.

Mr. C
November 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM

Breitenstein put up monster numbers running from the spread when he played his high school career up in Boone. He also was maybe even better as a safety. He almost single-handedly took a pretty mediocre program to the state title game.

dungeonjoe
November 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Breitenstein put up monster numbers running from the spread when he played his high school career up in Boone. He also was maybe even better as a safety. He almost single-handedly took a pretty mediocre program to the state title game.
He has carried Wofford through many games in his career.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Heineke will win it. Should he win it? Not sure.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM
He has carried Wofford through many games in his career.

I think it's safe to say that since App State, in which our first 2 QBs and second best RB were hurt, EB has carried us against Citadel, Samford, Chattanooga, and USC.....

I think the team being healthy will change that this week though