PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network Ranks the Running Backs

Josh
June 2nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Extra Point - I-AA RB's - Rushers Bouncing Back in 2005
By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - From limited postseason glory to barely getting a sniff at the Walter Payton Award, the 2004 season will not go down as the year of the running back in I-AA annals.

In the latter stages of the playoffs, top quarterbacks led passing-oriented offenses to success. Lang Campbell, Dustin Long and Craig Ochs directed their teams to the semifinals through the air. Only one running back, Tennessee State’s Charles Anthony, finished in the top nine spots in the Payton Award voting.

That’s not to suggest the running game was completely absent from some of the best teams a year ago. Southern Illinois and Georgia Southern rode talented backfields to dominating regular season efforts. James Madison did them one better in the playoffs, riding a three-pronged attack to the national championship.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN3925791.htm

Josh
June 2nd, 2005, 03:47 PM
Another great job by Matt Dougherty! Kudos!

NorthDakotaBison
June 2nd, 2005, 03:51 PM
the comments about steffes were kind, being a transitional team and him being a youngin, i didn't think he make the list

though i think he deserves to be in the company he's in

bluehenbillk
June 2nd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Pretty good list, look out for #14 Omar Cuff, JMU & W&M fans will remember him shredding them both late last season. He'll get a motherload of carries this year.

Ivytalk
June 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Nice publicity for Clifton Dawson. Hope Harvard's O-line stays healthy to open some holes for him. As the article says, he'll be in every defense's cross-hairs this fall.

FU97
June 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Disappointed there was no mention of Furman's three headed monster at TB. The combined for over 2,000 yards rushing last year (almost 2,300 when you add in the fullback). Gipson - 745, Mays - 682, Carter - 579, Felton (FB) - 300. They had 24 TDs between them. They combined for 390 yds and 5 TDs receiving.

mikebigg
June 2nd, 2005, 05:48 PM
I look for Grambling's Ab Kuaan to have a good year... he came on late last season when the coaching staff FINALLY decided to run the ball. Our fullback Ruben Mayes gets more carries than your typical fullback and was first team all-conference last year. He's a load at 6'2" 245 and lines up at tailback on occassion (last year in the BC he played TB with 305 lb Tommy Dorsey (OG) at blocking back. In addition to Kuaan and Mayes, our "other" back, Terrion Rodgers was good subbing for both. We have three quality backs who can run between the tackles (in Kuaan case, he can also get outside). Grambling also uses kick returners Landry Carter and speedster Keatwon Gray on occassion from our double wing set. In that formation, Mayes lines up as the fullback and was effective running it up the gut.

Now that Mose Harris (wr) is back...I look for us to spread him and true soph (returning reception leader) Clyde Edwards at wr and insert Ab Kuaan in the upback position. This formation would really click with former prop Larry Kerlegan at qb...he was Texas blue chipper at Larmarque High / Houston running and throwing in 2003.

JMU Duke Dog
June 2nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Top Fifteen Running Backs:

13. Maurice Fenner, James Madison (Jr., 6-1, 220 ) - It almost seems wrong to rank just one of the Dukes’ running backs, but Fenner carried a majority of the load when all three backs were healthy in last year’s postseason and has a shot to earn at least a slight majority of the carries this year. If he was a clear cut No.1, Fenner could even be higher on the board with his combination of size and speed. After missing action for five weeks, Fenner exploded in the semifinals and national championship game to lead James Madison to its first title. He finished with 117 yards on 22 carries against William & Mary, and broke out for 164 yards and two scores as the Dukes defeated Montana, 31-21, to win the championship. Fenner had 975 yards and nine touchdowns in an injury- plagued season, but led all Dukes’ runners with 5.6 yards per carry and should continue to conquer Atlantic 10 defenses for the next two seasons.

Top Five Running Back Tandems:

1. James Madison (Maurice Fenner, Alvin Banks, Raymond Hines) - Injuries to Fenner and Banks vaulted Hines into the spotlight in 2004, but it didn’t really matter who did the running for the national champion Dukes. Hines led the way with 1,038 yards and 10 touchdowns, while Fenner totaled 975 yards and nine touchdowns (with 5.6 yards per carry) and Banks had 554 yards and four scores while missing five games. All three begin the 2005 campaign with more than 1,400 yards rushing, and should have continued success even with some losses on the JMU offensive line.

I know our veteran offensive line helped the JMU running game last year, but it is also nice to see our "three-headed monster" get some national attention too.

GET PSYCHED FOR 2005!

wkuhillhound
June 2nd, 2005, 08:38 PM
I know our veteran offensive line did helped the JMU running game last year, but it is also nice to see our "three-headed monster" get some national attention too.

GET PSYCHED FOR 2005!

I wished WKU would have went far enough to play in the National Championship against James Madison. It would have been very interesting matchup of great running teams. WKU's tandem running corps was ranked 2nd in the Sportsnetwork poll.

eagle1
June 2nd, 2005, 10:11 PM
EWU likes to run the ball as well as the pass. Look for #4 on the DI to DI-AA transfer list, Ryan Cole, to be the man to carry the ball for the Eagles. They have several solid backs in Dezmon Cole, Toke Kefu, and Lars Slind (FB). Lars might be the best fullback in the Big Sky next to Bennett from PSU. Lars flatened all everything linebacker (Beck) from Cal Poly numerus times during our game with the Mustangs last year. That is the great thing about the EWU offense in that they are very balanced and can beat you in several ways. Go Eagles!!!

colgate13
June 3rd, 2005, 07:40 AM
I'm not looking forward to seeing Baylark (UMass) come to town this fall. I hoping he starts slow this year... or it snows!

Nice to see to the PL (Rath and Silva) get some nods too.

thirdgendin
June 3rd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Disappointed there was no mention of Furman's three headed monster at TB. The combined for over 2,000 yards rushing last year (almost 2,300 when you add in the fullback). Gipson - 745, Mays - 682, Carter - 579, Felton (FB) - 300. They had 24 TDs between them. They combined for 390 yds and 5 TDs receiving.

With Gipson and Felton being freshmen last year, I think we'll hear a lot from them in the future.

BBB
June 3rd, 2005, 08:17 AM
No love for Howard? The Bison has a excellent backfield with Antoine Rutherford, Keon Coleman (who's been battling injuries) Daine Williams, and Jamar Smith. Led by one of the better blocking fullbacks in the Region Kevin Tyson. This backfield tallied close to 2,500 yards WITH NO QUARTERBACK and they always faced 8-9 men in the box.

kats89
June 3rd, 2005, 08:30 AM
I wished WKU would have went far enough to play in the National Championship against James Madison. It would have been very interesting matchup of great running teams. WKU's tandem running corps was ranked 2nd in the Sportsnetwork poll.

Until they came to Huntsville last year.

wkuhillhound
June 3rd, 2005, 09:58 AM
Until they came to Huntsville last year.

I knew that was coming. Chattanooga wasn't in the cards for SHSU either. Both teams will keep on going for the 2005 national champions. Good luck to ya.

umassfan
June 3rd, 2005, 01:14 PM
I'm not looking forward to seeing Baylark (UMass) come to town this fall. I hoping he starts slow this year... or it snows!

Nice to see to the PL (Rath and Silva) get some nods too.

With our line even better and deeper then last year... i dont think many teams will wana see him come to town. This spring was his first spring ball and this fall he will participate for the whole time(unless injured) therefore I dont see a slow start coming. Last year he started somewhat slow until the conditioning coach found out what he had to do to pump him up before a game. He went on a rampage to end the season. Look out A10!

colgate13
June 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
With our line even better and deeper then last year... i dont think many teams will wana see him come to town. This spring was his first spring ball and this fall he will participate for the whole time(unless injured) therefore I dont see a slow start coming. Last year he started somewhat slow until the conditioning coach found out what he had to do to pump him up before a game. He went on a rampage to end the season. Look out A10!
He will definitely be an early test for us. My only comfort is that our defense returns some good experience... it's the offense that has to find some new faces.

laparka316
June 6th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I know our O-Line will be in a rebuilding year, but to only mention 3rd Team AP All American Scott Phaydavong in the mid major backs, and putting him 3rd at that, is appaling.

Love to see Freeney up high, even after his injuries last year, but I think Phaydavong will out carry him first game of the year in the UNI Dome...

yomama
June 6th, 2005, 04:28 PM
... to only mention 3rd Team AP All American Scott Phaydavong in the mid major backs, and putting him 3rd at that, is appaling.

Mr. Dougherty is a professional who has compiled this list after extensive research. He's seen these people play. He knows what he's doing.

Sheesh. You act as if he went to St. Bonaventure.

Josh
June 7th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Mr. Dougherty is a professional who has compiled this list after extensive research. He's seen these people play. He knows what he's doing.

Sheesh. You act as if he went to St. Bonaventure.

Remember he takes the whole career into consideration. So if 2 players with the same numbers are compared he will go with the one who has done more in the past as well.

FightinBluHen51
June 7th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Pretty good list, look out for #14 Omar Cuff, JMU & W&M fans will remember him shredding them both late last season. He'll get a motherload of carries this year.

Quite honestly, he's probably underrated @ that spot too, but with the "limited" experience that he has, its where he should be rated. Quite possible that he will challenge Bennett's UD rushing record in the next 3 years.

FightinBluHen51
June 7th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Remember he takes the whole career into consideration. So if 2 players with the same numbers are compared he will go with the one who has done more in the past as well.

Seems fair to me.