PDA

View Full Version : UCA @ GSU

pike51
November 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I didn't see a thread on this already (???)

What's the thoughts on this game? As GSU fan, this game scares me. Not knowing much about UCA, they appear to have a balanced attack with a quality dual threat QB (our weakness). Could spell disaster for GSU. As far as defense, it seems we should be able to run the ball fairly well against them as UCA gives up 3.7 yards per carry. That could be negated by a team who sells out on the run and doesn't respect our (limited) ability to pass. If GSU can throw the ball effectively a few times early and shut down the UCA QB, then GSU wins. Otherwise, GSU might be in for a long, aggrivating day. If the game comes down to special teams, color this a win for purple.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM
UCA has one hell of a QB in Wynrick Smothers. He can throw quite well and he has some great wheels.

Their defense is iffy though, IMO, however they seem to make the right play at the right moment (except for Gus Johnson dodging a group of Bears defenders for a 60 yard scamper in the monsoon)

GATA_Eagles
November 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I see this being a very poorly attended game for us.

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Looking at the stats for the game:
National leaders: top 50...If I miss someone or a ranking sorry! I'm just glancing at the NCAA website and looking for our team names. xlolx

QBs
12. Wynrick Smothers UCA Rushes 97-370 yds. Passes-386 -2852 yds Pass. Eff. #10 in nation 67% with 31 TDs
vs.
NR, NR

All purpose runners
25. Jesse Grandy UCA 1481 All purpose yards
vs.
NR

Field goal:
#42 tie: 10 of 12
vs.
NR

Pass Defense:
41. Georgia Southern
vs.
NR

Rushing defense:
30. Georgia Southern
vs.
39. UCA

Scoring offense:
10. UCA 36.55 ppg
vs.
14. Georgia Southern 35.45

Total defense:
27. Georgia Southern
vs.
NR

Total offense:
12 Georgia Southern
vs.
43 UCA

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM
UCA has one hell of a QB in Wynrick Smothers. He can throw quite well and he has some great wheels.

Their defense is iffy though, IMO, however they seem to make the right play at the right moment (except for Gus Johnson dodging a group of Bears defenders for a 60 yard scamper in the monsoon)

So true! How many guys actually grabbed him and still weren't able to yell "marco polo" and swim to the surface BEFORE he got away?! xlolx

Bear84
November 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM
UCA has a fast and physical defense that is finally getting most everyone healthy and can potentially defend the triple option, but I expect they will struggle against it in the first half. The defense has been shaky in the first half most of the season, but usually much stronger in the second. Two weeks to prepare for the TO helps, but there is no way to practice against it the way GSU runs it. I think if UCA can stay within striking distance during the first half, their chances of winning are pretty good, as they have been very strong in the 4th quarter. Could be a high scoring game. Hopefully it will come down to the kicking game :D.

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM
26-24 GSU

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM
26-24 GSU

I can see it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM
How did UCA hold Sam to 20 points? What happened there?

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Sam fans will tell you that their offense wasn't clicking yet. UCA fans will say their defense is good.

All other SLC fans will say - it's the damn turf in Conway

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM

UCA's defense is good. xlolx Sorry Rev.

UCA's defense is decent and makes critical plays at the right times. That's all.

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM
From the local paper today: (credit the Log Cabin Democrat)

ON THE MOUNTAINTOP: In evaluating his team for the NCAA FCS playoffs, UCA coach Clint Conque noted a Mount Rushmore of FCS football that includes Appalachian State, Youngstown State, Montana, Delaware and Georgia Southern. Referring to Georgia Southern’s six national titles, he said, “Georgia Southern would be the George Washington on that Mount Rushmore.”

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2012, 01:35 PM
All other SLC fans will say - it's the damn turf in Conway

This ... it's the worst artificial surface I've ever stepped foot on ... might as well be a Slippin' Slide.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
This ... it's the worst artificial surface I've ever stepped foot on ... might as well be a Slippin' Slide.

..and it's God awful ugly too

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
The biggest key to stopping UCA is hoping Smothers misfires when he takes shots down field to Grandy ... he may be the fastest player in the country, at all levels, and they'll take several shots down field during a game, and usually hit one or two ... he was basically the difference in our game. Problem is, you can double him with safety help over the top and he can still split it. Smothers throws it as far as he can and Grandy goes and gets it ... not much you can do to defend it.

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 02:32 PM

at least it has drainage...xlolx

Slip-n-slide. Ugly. 12-0. Even the Bears have to play on it. Why is it that they have little problem on it? UCA is also undefeated against Louisiana schools in two years at home AND away. Why does it take an undefeated SLC team to put the Bears in their place? 6-1 three times and a 5-2 once aren't all home games.

I do think we owe McNeese another home game in the Hole though. xlolx

blueballs
November 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM
The biggest key to stopping UCA is hoping Smothers misfires when he takes shots down field to Grandy ... he may be the fastest player in the country, at all levels, and they'll take several shots down field during a game, and usually hit one or two ... he was basically the difference in our game. Problem is, you can double him with safety help over the top and he can still split it. Smothers throws it as far as he can and Grandy goes and gets it ... not much you can do to defend it.

Not if he's on his back... That's the key, put enough pressure on him that he can't plant that back foot and sling it.

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Slip-n-slide. Ugly. 12-0. Even the Bears have to play on it. Why is it that they have little problem on it?

Because your kids get to practice on it everyday, during summer workouts etc., and get accustomed to the footing ... plus they get a good feel for what type of shoes work best. We had guys falling down all over the place when we played up there last year, and I'm pretty sure others had problems as well. It is what it is and it's the beauty of having a home field advantage. McNeese's field was similar (though not as bad) the first time we played on it in 2009, but I noticed it was much better in 2011 ... maybe UCA's field will improve as it ages.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM
at least it has drainage...xlolx

Slip-n-slide. Ugly. 12-0. Even the Bears have to play on it. Why is it that they have little problem on it? UCA is also undefeated against Louisiana schools in two years at home AND away. Why does it take an undefeated SLC team to put the Bears in their place? 6-1 three times and a 5-2 once aren't all home games.

I do think we owe McNeese another home game in the Hole though. xlolx

Homer Bryce has good drainage. The fact that the football was floating 2 inches off of the ground is better than half a foot or more.

..and to be fair we put you in your place this year. See you in Conway next year

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Because your kids get to practice on it everyday, during summer workouts etc., and get accustomed to the footing ... plus they get a good feel for what type of shoes work best. We had guys falling down all over the place when we played up there last year, and I'm pretty sure others had problems as well. It is what it is and it's the beauty of having a home field advantage. McNeese's field was similar (though not as bad) the first time we played on it in 2009, but I noticed it was much better in 2011 ... maybe UCA's field will improve as it ages.

Maybe UCA forgot to remove the plastic cover off of the turf.

Maybe they don't want dirt on it, like how some people keep a plastic cover on the couch....

Nickels
November 26th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Don't get too comfortable if are leading the game late against those Bears. They are a great team that hangs in there and makes big plays late.

blueballs
November 26th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Admittedly I don't know much about UCA and haven't seen them play but they are a conference champion and have some nice wins so they are darned good and will be tough to beat.

As for GSU, the talent is there. Missed FG's under 30 yards are the only reason they aren't 10-1 and ranked #1. They really haven't played anything approaching a complete game yet in all three phases. If they do they won't lose to anybody in the field but after 11 games you have to wonder if they have it in them.

I really don't know what to expect... on paper UCA looks an awful lot like App. I would imagine this will be a close game and could go either way. GSU is experienced in the playoffs and that means something and might give them an edge.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2012, 02:59 PM
UCA has a fast and physical defense that is finally getting most everyone healthy and can potentially defend the triple option, but I expect they will struggle against it in the first half. The defense has been shaky in the first half most of the season, but usually much stronger in the second. Two weeks to prepare for the TO helps, but there is no way to practice against it the way GSU runs it. I think if UCA can stay within striking distance during the first half, their chances of winning are pretty good, as they have been very strong in the 4th quarter. Could be a high scoring game. Hopefully it will come down to the kicking game :D.

you might want to check whether or not they practiced this week. Most teams give their players the week of thanksgiving off if they have a bye. UNI did it last year, and UNH is this year, even though they play an option team. In a way, Thanksgiving somewhat neutralizes a bye in that sense.

Eagle11
November 26th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Georgia Southern practiced everyday last week except Saturday and Sunday. I trust that Monken will have the guys ready.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Admittedly I don't know much about UCA and haven't seen them play but they are a conference champion and have some nice wins so they are darned good and will be tough to beat.

As for GSU, the talent is there. Missed FG's under 30 yards are the only reason they aren't 10-1 and ranked #1. They really haven't played anything approaching a complete game yet in all three phases. If they do they won't lose to anybody in the field but after 11 games you have to wonder if they have it in them.

I really don't know what to expect... on paper UCA looks an awful lot like App. I would imagine this will be a close game and could go either way. GSU is experienced in the playoffs and that means something and might give them an edge.

Speaking from experience, you have a young team and you might as well chalk up the lack of consistency to youth....don't expect a full game this year. With that said, it makes every play fun to watch.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Georgia Southern practiced everyday last week except Saturday and Sunday. I trust that Monken will have the guys ready.

It's a bigger deal for teams defending the option than running it.

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Homer Bryce has good drainage. The fact that the football was floating 2 inches off of the ground is better than half a foot or more.

..and to be fair we put you in your place this year. See you in Conway next year

Put us in our place? Funny! I believe I told you BEFORE the game I wasn't sure who was going to win...along with all that free beer I gave you. xlolx But you really have to look at it in the overall picture...UCA has winning records against EVERY team in the SLC since coming into this league. Could be better for us if SFA hadn't gone undefeated twice and SAM once. Both schools accomplished so much to be proud of those years. It was UCAs year..our destiny...FINALLY a chance to hold up that trophy and with so many players lost to graduation, it was a clear up hill battle..even on game day.

Mr. Pink
November 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Did he say "Wynrick Smothers"? That is WITHOUT DOUBT the most awesome name I have ever heard. I think I have a new name to tell to women I meet at the bar.

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I think GSU will have success running the option in the first half and UCA will make adjustments in the second half. If the Bears can keep it close toward the end, then the upset is possible.

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Did he say "Wynrick Smothers"? That is WITHOUT DOUBT the most awesome name I have ever heard. I think I have a new name to tell to women I meet at the bar.

Wynrick Smothers- some of us fans call him "the professor". It just sounds like a college professors name. xlolx He backed up LSU qb in high school and won a state championship there. He's pretty good and as far as I know he hasn't trademarked his name..so use away!

soweagle
November 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Wynrick Smothers- some of us fans call him "the professor". It just sounds like a college professors name. xlolx He backed up LSU qb in high school and won a state championship there. He's pretty good and as far as I know he hasn't trademarked his name..so use away!

Is he from the state of GA? I ask because the qb at LSU (Mettenberger sp) is from Georgia.

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Is he from the state of GA? I ask because the qb at LSU (Mettenberger sp) is from Georgia.

Smothers is from Destrehan, La. right down the road from us ... he backed up Jordan Jefferson and took over his senior and led them to a state championship ... saw him play quite a bit in HS and he was a better QB than Jefferson, just didn't have the size. We recruited him as an athlete, mainly because we had just gotten a transfer from Baylor and had a freshman redshirting that we liked ... but I think anybody who saw him play in HS knew he would be successful as a QB ... great kid who is a natural leader.

McNeese72
November 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Funniest quote I heard about the field was from McNeese superfan Chris Buchanan. Looking down at it from the stands he said, "It makes me want to light candles and sing Happy Birthday!".

Doc

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Smothers is from Destrehan, La. right down the road from us ... he backed up Jordan Jefferson and took over his senior and led them to a state championship ... saw him play quite a bit in HS and he was a better QB than Jefferson, just didn't have the size. We recruited him as an athlete, mainly because we had just gotten a transfer from Baylor and had a freshman redshirting that we liked ... but I think anybody who saw him play in HS knew he would be successful as a QB ... great kid who is a natural leader.

That's the one. Thanks Lions!

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Funniest quote I heard about the field was from McNeese superfan Chris Buchanan. Looking down at it from the stands he said, "It makes me want to light candles and sing Happy Birthday!".

Doc

The good news is the field won't come into play in the post season. xlolx
Maybe next year....

McNeese72
November 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM
The good news is the field won't come into play in the post season. xlolx
Maybe next year....

Just let you know, I have nothing against the field. It is just not up to my traditional tastes. I really don't like any of the colored fields. If McNeese wanted to put in a Blue & Gold striped field, I'd be totally against it.

Doc

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Just let you know, I have nothing against the field. It is just not up to my traditional tastes. I really don't like any of the colored fields. If McNeese wanted to put in a Blue & Gold striped field, I'd be totally against it.

Doc

I'm not a fan of it either..but when you move up from division II and you're the only team in your conference with a grass field and someone comes along and offers you something valuable (like a discount on turf) and your school and a select group of varied individuals chooses a striped field, then you as a powerless fan have to go along with it. I'm sure it will be replaced sooner than later. If you however would like to donate to the fund, then please by all means do so! xlolx Maybe you can have one of those bike rides to benefit the renovation. xlolx

Nickels
November 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I'm not a fan of it either..but when you move up from division II and you're the only team in your conference with a grass field and someone comes along and offers you something valuable (like a discount on turf) and your school and a select group of varied individuals chooses a striped field, then you as a powerless fan have to go along with it. I'm sure it will be replaced sooner than later. If you however would like to donate to the fund, then please by all means do so! xlolx Maybe you can have one of those bike rides to benefit the renovation. xlolx
I think you guys are stuck with it now, it's one of the main things you're known for. I don't think any team has went from wacky turf back to normal.

McNeese72
November 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM

We are lucky our donor liked green turf. :-) Only stipulation he had was that we name the field after long time SID Louis Bonnette.

Doc

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

SpiritCymbal
November 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Not looking forward to this game this weekend. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a stroke at some point. hahahaha...

I think that GSU will squeak out a close one (ironically by a FG) and will move on. But there is nothing to suggest that this will be lopsided for either team.

BEAR
November 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
No doubt. I wonder if being off two weeks will make the team rusty. I know the players have been working out and stuff, but two weeks off after a game that was two weeks after our last game...makes a fan wonder. That option defense will have to tighten up or its over.

EKU-n-GSU
November 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
No doubt. I wonder if being off two weeks will make the team rusty. I know the players have been working out and stuff, but two weeks off after a game that was two weeks after our last game...makes a fan wonder. That option defense will have to tighten up or its over.

Can't say that I'd like to have our team with a bye, a season ender, then another bye in the playoffs either. Too much time between the ups and downs of gameday, but I know you're guys will be ready. I think I'd rather have that than three weeks off straight like App State....lots of potential for ring rust.

seantaylor
November 27th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Paulson Stadium. In the playoffs. UCA won't be able to handle that.

BEAR
November 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Paulson Stadium. In the playoffs. UCA won't be able to handle that.

You're right. We'll just roll over now. xsmugx

boonegoon
November 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM
This is one of the time that the break really helps UCA. Dealing with the TO without a break is a bear, but having a little time to prepare for it may give the Bears a fighters chance.

BullDog85
November 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM
You're right. We'll just roll over now. xsmugx Don't worry...you will not have to roll over...you will be POUNDED over and over again and your defense will give up mega yards rushing. Prey for fumbles and make them pay for them when they happen and you might escape The Stink with a win.

BEAR
November 27th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I smell a rout....xcoffeex

TheRevSFA
November 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
UCA just needs to tell them that they stole Erk Russell's head and will give it back if UCA wins.

eaglewraith
November 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
UCA just needs to tell them that they stole Erk Russell's head and will give it back if UCA wins.

The last time a visiting team messed with a Georgia Southern landmark they got ****ed up.

theasushow
November 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Just abandoning my own team's thread to come over here and say that GSU will dominate every aspect of this game and the SOCON is by far tougher and stronger than any other conference hands down. If you want I can go look up GSU's players high school 100 meter dash times, just to further prove that they are faster than UCA and this game will probably be over by halftime.

BEAR
November 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Just abandoning my own team's thread to come over here and say that GSU will dominate every aspect of this game and the SOCON is by far tougher and stronger than any other conference hands down. If you want I can go look up GSU's players high school 100 meter dash times, just to further prove that they are faster than UCA and this game will probably be over by halftime.

That speed thing again. I thought there was a whole thread about southern speed on here last year and how it was not the deciding factor in championships. Oh well, maybe it is. Good luck keeping up with Grandy..not many can.

gsu1moretime
November 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I like when people say by the second half their D will be able to stop the TO, By that time your D is usually tired from TOP and having to deal with cut blocks. I personal think this game should be high scoring like the GSU ODU game last year. And whoever wins will have to go to ODU after is a tough task in it self. I believe GSU and CAU have played once before and beat GSU in the boro in 06. 34-31 looks like one of those small crowds during thanksgiving. I see the score being about the same but GSU up.

lionsrking2
November 28th, 2012, 01:25 AM

You can talk about HS 100 meter times all you want but the fastest player on the field this Saturday will be wearing a UCA uniform. xcoffeex

Twentysix
November 28th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I like when people say by the second half their D will be able to stop the TO, By that time your D is usually tired from TOP and having to deal with cut blocks. I personal think this game should be high scoring like the GSU ODU game last year. And whoever wins will have to go to ODU after is a tough task in it self. I believe GSU and CAU have played once before and beat GSU in the boro in 06. 34-31 looks like one of those small crowds during thanksgiving. I see the score being about the same but GSU up.

Or they are laughing, because one guy is single handedly(no really he only had 1 hand) destroying the TO. Colten Heagle! (He had a cast on for this game iirc)
xlolx

gsu2583
November 28th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Or they are laughing, because one guy is single handedly(no really he only had 1 hand) destroying the TO. Colten Heagle! (He had a cast on for this game iirc)
xlolx

Cool story bro. Worry about your own game this weekend. Good luck.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2012, 08:19 AM
xlolx

that was #20, he's out for the year right?

EASTEAX BEAR
November 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
UCA going to show up and see what happens.No matter what I will be there cheering the BEARS to the end.That's why they play the game.See you sat.

pike51
November 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Dear App State fans...

We don't need your "help". Please concern yourself with your own game instead of making the SoCon look stupid by pulling "facts" out of your arse about speed and conference superiority.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Now... back to the regularly scheduled thread.

BEAR
November 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM
UCA Athletics is setting up a watch party....

UCAsports.com @ucasports Can't get to Statesboro on Sat. for Bears @ Ga. Southern in #FCSPlayoffs? Free watch party in Farris Center @ 12:30! Concession stands open.

Southern Bison
November 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM

The MVFC has proven that they are just as "tough & strong" as the SoCon time & time again in the past few years. Now, the SLC, NEC, PL, MEAC is another story but IMO, you'll find out on Saturday that the MVFC members have the talent, the strength, and the toughness to put a SoCon team on the sidelines for the rest of the playoffs.

gsu2583
November 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
The MVFC has proven that they are just as "tough & strong" as the SoCon time & time again in the past few years. Now, the SLC, NEC, PL, MEAC is another story but IMO, you'll find out on Saturday that the MVFC members have the talent, the strength, and the toughness to put a SoCon team on the sidelines for the rest of the playoffs.

No one cares...

BEAR
November 28th, 2012, 10:58 AM
All we need now is a Dakota schools fight inserted in this thread...ANYONE?

blueballs
November 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Everybody playing this weekend is good or they wouldn't be there.

As for speed, GSU has above average speed at QB (they didn't last year) and both slots. The speed difference at QB is huge. The issue with the option typically isn't as much how fast the players are as it is how fast they can run the offense. If the FB hits the hole fast, the OL fires off fast, and it runs crisp top end speed is a luxury and turns big plays into scores.

For example, Raymond Gross (one of the most under rated players in the history of the division) didn't have great top end speed but he was a maestro in the offense, and he set the all time D1 record for wins by a QB (since broken by Armanti) and led GSC to 3 straight NC games (winning 2).

UCA scares me.... IMO they look like App but they are older and better. GSU had better have their feces coagulated Saturday or we'll be talking about the 2012 season in the past tense.

BEAR
November 28th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I'm worried about the option. I'm not worried about it being at Georgia Southern. UCA, like many other teams, has played in front of large hostile crowds including Montana, Ole Miss and various large stadium schools. Conque has respect for the Eagles. The players are ready. More of the fans wish they could be there but its just not economical for most of them. Don't, however, let the first quarter or even the first halfs results sway you one way or the other. UCA tends to start slow then pick it up as the game goes on. But their biggest asset is they never quit and that attitude has won a few games for them. It will take a few years to get acclimated to this level of football, but every year UCA improves. IF they go home this saturday with a loss, it will be to Georgia Southern. "nuff said.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I'm worried about the option. I'm not worried about it being at Georgia Southern. UCA, like many other teams, has played in front of large hostile crowds including Montana, Ole Miss and various large stadium schools. Conque has respect for the Eagles. The players are ready. More of the fans wish they could be there but its just not economical for most of them. Don't, however, let the first quarter or even the first halfs results sway you one way or the other. UCA tends to start slow then pick it up as the game goes on. But their biggest asset is they never quit and that attitude has won a few games for them. It will take a few years to get acclimated to this level of football, but every year UCA improves. IF they go home this saturday with a loss, it will be to Georgia Southern. "nuff said.

You didn't fair so well against Montana.

Players and coaches who have played at Wisconsin, GSU, and Montana said that the latter 2 were much louder than the former.

You really don't know what you're walking into bro, seriously.

BEAR
November 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Players and coaches who have played at Wisconsin, GSU, and Montana said that the latter 2 were much louder than the former.

Yeah, our first division I playoff. Don't you think familiarity helps? Is GSU stadium in 73 degree weather worse than Montana's in 24 degree weather? We have no idea....BECAUSE we've only been there 1 time...and won. Saturday will tell.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yeah, our first division I playoff. Don't you think familiarity helps? Is GSU stadium in 73 degree weather worse than Montana's in 24 degree weather? We have no idea....BECAUSE we've only been there 1 time...and won. Saturday will tell.

it's worse because it's a different time of hostility than you get at Montana.

Eaglesrus
November 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM

From everything I'm hearing and seeing it appears that UCA may not experience quite what most of our conference foes do. Apparently ticket sales are very slow, unfortunately. Hopefully that will change over the remaining few days, but it's not looking good, attendance-wise, even in comparison to previous second round games.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2012, 12:35 PM
it's worse because it's a different time of hostility than you get at Montana.
They are in different kind zones. Ha

GATA_Eagles
November 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
From everything I'm hearing and seeing it appears that UCA may not experience quite what most of our conference foes do. Apparently ticket sales are very slow, unfortunately. Hopefully that will change over the remaining few days, but it's not looking good, attendance-wise, even in comparison to previous second round games.

We have a lot going against us this weekend in terms of attendance. The SEC championship game at 4 is really going to hurt unfortunately and with that being available for free on television, I can see some students deciding to stay at home and watch that instead.

SpiritCymbal
November 28th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Everybody playing this weekend is good or they wouldn't be there.

As for speed, GSU has above average speed at QB (they didn't last year) and both slots. The speed difference at QB is huge. The issue with the option typically isn't as much how fast the players are as it is how fast they can run the offense. If the FB hits the hole fast, the OL fires off fast, and it runs crisp top end speed is a luxury and turns big plays into scores.

For example, Raymond Gross (one of the most under rated players in the history of the division) didn't have great top end speed but he was a maestro in the offense, and he set the all time D1 record for wins by a QB (since broken by Armanti) and led GSC to 3 straight NC games (winning 2).

UCA scares me.... IMO they look like App but they are older and better. GSU had better have their feces coagulated Saturday or we'll be talking about the 2012 season in the past tense.

WELL SAID!

+1 from me!

BEAR
November 28th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Don't expect to get more than 100 UCA fans there...maybe 250 tops but I doubt many will make the trip. Sorry, maybe next time when the economy isn't so bad and budgets can afford it. Someone told me that IF UCA wins the next trip would be to OD or CCU? too much travel. xlolx

BEAR
November 28th, 2012, 07:21 PM
http://www.ucasports.com/images/2012/11/28/rp_primary_watchparty.jpg

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2012/11/28/FB_1128122428.aspx

Southern Bison
November 28th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Don't expect to get more than 100 UCA fans there...maybe 250 tops but I doubt many will make the trip. Sorry, maybe next time when the economy isn't so bad and budgets can afford it. Someone told me that IF UCA wins the next trip would be to OD or CCU? too much travel. xlolx

I'd look into UCA hosting next week against CCU. It may be doubtful that CCU put in a bid to host a quarterfinal and since they were a play-in team to the 1st round, UCA may host. There are a few on here that may know the answer.

Twentysix
November 28th, 2012, 11:59 PM
http://www.ucasports.com/images/2012/11/28/rp_primary_watchparty.jpg

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2012/11/28/FB_1128122428.aspx

Thats only mildly misleading. If you lose you can make national runner up shirts like sam!

seantaylor
November 29th, 2012, 12:32 AM

Ole Miss?

GSU's record in Paulson is unmatched. Especially in Paulson during the playoffs.